MBA program for someone with little business background?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I ll have about a year and a half off before going to med school. I was always planning to do a combined md/mba or do/mba program or create my own once i got to med school.

I dont have much business or econ background. Is it still possible for me to apply to any mba programs? Do mba programs provide any refresher or other courses to get u upto date before the actual classes start?

Could i do an mba during my year to year and a half off (can spend upto two years if necessary)? Any recommended programs? I want to get the mba in health care related field.

I live in Northern California, near San Francisco. A program close by would be great, but I m not excluding myself from other further options either.

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Most MBA's take lots of people without formal business backgrounds. Just look at the school profiles...they usually have this kind of info.

Some schools have a "pre" program that makes you learn the basics. Other programs have faster paced classes on general accounting, finance that are built into what everyone takes.

Basically just look at the programs of interest. You will have to take the GMAT in order to know where you are competitive since some schools have a same type process as the med one.

Depending on your career interest with the degree, going to a brand name b-school can help get your career in business going.

BrettBatchelor said:
Most MBA's take lots of people without formal business backgrounds. Just look at the school profiles...they usually have this kind of info.

Some schools have a "pre" program that makes you learn the basics. Other programs have faster paced classes on general accounting, finance that are built into what everyone takes.

Basically just look at the programs of interest. You will have to take the GMAT in order to know where you are competitive since some schools have a same type process as the med one.

Depending on your career interest with the degree, going to a brand name b-school can help get your career in business going.

Cool, thanks.

I was looking for a program that isn't linked to an MD program to complete or finish a large portion of before i attend med school since i ll have a year and a half off.

Members don't see this ad :)
BrettBatchelor said:
Are you by any UC's? They pretty much all have reputable b-schools.

Yes, I m still living in berkeley. I know that Hass school of Business (at cal) is very difficult to get into and requires I think atleast 3 years of work experience.

I m also close to UC davis, UCLA would be great also. Are these difficult programs to get into? I m not looking to get into a top top program. Perhaps a mid level program.

Sorry for all the questions.

NRAI2001 said:
Yes, I m still living in berkeley. I know that Hass school of Business (at cal) is very difficult to get into and requires I think atleast 3 years of work experience.

I m also close to UC davis, UCLA would be great also. Are these difficult programs to get into? I m not looking to get into a top top program. Perhaps a mid level program.

Sorry for all the questions.

I know nothing of the UCs, but just bear in mind that the schools that are not "difficult programs to get into" tend not to open many doors. Most of the decent places will require a year or more of work experience unless it is part of a combined program.

Law2Doc said:
I know nothing of the UCs, but just bear in mind that the schools that are not "difficult programs to get into" tend not to open many doors. Most of the decent places will require a year or more of work experience unless it is part of a combined program.

I see. :(

In the next few years there will be a major restructuring in the MBA programs accross the nation. Basically most of the top b-school people are saying that the current MBA title is totally watered down and means nothing since anyone can fill out a few forms do a few internet courses and get an MBA. Which is why most reputable b-schools want their applicants to have work experience prior to learning the art of management (which totally makes sense).

I suggest you work until you start med school and then try to combine your MD with the MBA, or finish med school and do an executive mba program.

AMMD said:
In the next few years there will be a major restructuring in the MBA programs accross the nation. Basically most of the top b-school people are saying that the current MBA title is totally watered down and means nothing since anyone can fill out a few forms do a few internet courses and get an MBA. Which is why most reputable b-schools want their applicants to have work experience prior to learning the art of management (which totally makes sense).

I suggest you work until you start med school and then try to combine your MD with the MBA, or finish med school and do an executive mba program.

Yea, definitely are too many meaningless mba programs.

AMMD said:
anyone can fill out a few forms do a few internet courses and get an MBA.
s008-shaq-0405n_04-08-2005_PG5A3R6.jpg

AMMD said:

I completely agree with the above. Another perspective is that some schools will not have the strict 3+ year work requirement if you are in med school. Getting work experience is the most important thing. Try to get a really good opportunity that gives you responsibility and diverse range of experiences.

mward04 said:
I completely agree with the above. Another perspective is that some schools will not have the strict 3+ year work requirement if you are in med school. Getting work experience is the most important thing. Try to get a really good opportunity that gives you responsibility and diverse range of experiences.

I second that.

OP: if you get a chance read the guide to graduate schools recently put out by us news and world report (i think) it is available at B&N, which is where I read it. It has the indepth article about the whole MBA thing that I just touched upon.

Few business schools that are worth attending will look at you without a significant work and leadership experience. If an MBA is all that you want (as opposed to say a Haas MBA, which is on a different level) then I recommend that you save the $100K and get an annual subscription to the Wall Street Journal.

Believe me if you have a true interest in this stuff (as I do) you will learn as much if not more from the Journal than you will from any classroom.

ankitovich said:
Few business schools that are worth attending will look at you without a significant work and leadership experience. If an MBA is all that you want (as opposed to say a Haas MBA, which is on a different level) then I recommend that you save the $100K and get an annual subscription to the Wall Street Journal.

Believe me if you have a true interest in this stuff (as I do) you will learn as much if not more from the Journal than you will from any classroom.

Yes i m going to get a subscription soon. Do u know of any sites/deals offering a discount on it?

NRAI2001 said:
Yes i m going to get a subscription soon. Do u know of any sites/deals offering a discount on it?

An annual subscription is $100 for students. Go to wsj.com for more information.

ankitovich said:
An annual subscription is $100 for students. Go to wsj.com for more information.

Kewl :thumbup: