MBA help Med School Admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swifteagle43

Lover- not a fighter
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I have a chance to do an MBA by spending an extra year at my undergraduate institution. Should I do it? Will it help my chances of getting into medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

hmmm ... honestly it depends on how you are as an applicant. I am using my MBA as proof that I can handle graduate level classes when I apply but I am finishing my MBA this summer then going on to take undergrad classes for prereqs and boosting my HORRIBLE GPA. I also have work experience in banking/finance industry. Depending on the MBA program I'm not sure how it will effect your app only b/c MBA business classes aren't really important in factoring your science GPA.

I think its a good idea but not to improve your application. It will add to it of course, but I would go for a joint program because it would be less time and money for you. Just my opinion.

mshheaddoc said:
hmmm ... honestly it depends on how you are as an applicant. I am using my MBA as proof that I can handle graduate level classes when I apply but I am finishing my MBA this summer then going on to take undergrad classes for prereqs and boosting my HORRIBLE GPA. I also have work experience in banking/finance industry. Depending on the MBA program I'm not sure how it will effect your app only b/c MBA business classes aren't really important in factoring your science GPA.

I think its a good idea but not to improve your application. It will add to it of course, but I would go for a joint program because it would be less time and money for you. Just my opinion.

well I would graduate in a total of 5 years(including my undergrad) with an MBA and a BS in Chemistry. My science GPA is hovering around a 3.67ish. Probably will take a dip after orgo :(

swifteagle43 said:
well I would graduate in a total of 5 years(including my undergrad) with an MBA and a BS in Chemistry. My science GPA is hovering around a 3.67ish. Probably will take a dip after orgo :(
ahhh so you are a freshman right now? What about if your junior year you applied to combined programs? Do you want to do business? It might be a good idea, I'm biased though. I believe MD's should know something about business as that is what they do. Especially in management. Why do you want the MBA? Honestly I don't see it helping you get into med school.