MBA from which Univ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loku

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am a first year medical student (DO program) and I was thinking of getting an MBA degree with a DO degree as well. My question is:
1.Does it matter which MBA school you get your MBA from? I mean, my univ. (Lincoln Memorial univ.) has an MBA program but I am not sure if I should get MBA from my univ. or from some other univ who have a better MBA program?
2.Does it matter where you get your MBA degree from? I know for non medical students, they prefer to get MBA from a really good university. Does this same principle apply for medical students as well?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not really seeing a difference between question 1 & 2, but I'll say this--it depends on what you want to do with the MBA. You'll learn the same material in most any MBA program. I would try to go for one accredited by the AACSB (accredited, not just a member), as that is the gold standard for b-schools. LMU is accredited by ACBSP, which accredits (if I understand correctly) non-research oriented b-schools. If you just want to learn about business to run your own practice, I'm sure LMU would be fine. Actually, I really doubt you'll run into any scenario as a physician where it matters where you got your MBA. So...ignore everything I just said and just go wherever is cheapest/easiest to fit in between your medical curriculum. Disclaimer: I'm not a physician.

I'm not really seeing a difference between question 1 & 2, but I'll say this--it depends on what you want to do with the MBA. You'll learn the same material in most any MBA program. I would try to go for one accredited by the AACSB (accredited, not just a member), as that is the gold standard for b-schools. LMU is accredited by ACBSP, which accredits (if I understand correctly) non-research oriented b-schools. If you just want to learn about business to run your own practice, I'm sure LMU would be fine. Actually, I really doubt you'll run into any scenario as a physician where it matters where you got your MBA. So...ignore everything I just said and just go wherever is cheapest/easiest to fit in between your medical curriculum. Disclaimer: I'm not a physician.

Thank you for your reply. But what if I want to get a Job as a Hospital Administrator ( or some admin position in a hospital) rather than just a physician who wants an MBA degree to run his clinic? Do you think thenI need to get a MBA degree from a good school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your reply. But what if I want to get a Job as a Hospital Administrator ( or some admin position in a hospital) rather than just a physician who wants an MBA degree to run his clinic? Do you think thenI need to get a MBA degree from a good school?

The less clinical qualifications (board certification, etc) you have, the better the MBA school needs to be.

I'd say at that point it's more who you know than where your degree is from (like so many other areas in life). However, I guess one could argue they'd have a better chance at meeting some of these people in a 'good' MBA program than a lesser-known one. If you really think hospital admin is where you want to be, maybe look into MHA programs. I'm not sure how different they are than an MBA, but it may be more tailored to your goals.

Here's a link explaining the difference, at least for one university: http://depts.washington.edu/mhap/mhambacomparison