MBA before medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emtbrady

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
No more MBA for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I want to do a master's degree to strengthen my GPA and enhance my medical school app, but I also want a relevant degree in case I don't get in.

I am just wondering if this will hurt my application because usually you wouldn't get an MBA before med school. I am just not sure if my logic is flawed.

my .02 to the three points -

Will this strengthen your GPA? generally no, as med schools look at UGPA, they don't (with OHSU being the sole exception I've heard of) consider grad GPA

Earning a relevant degree if no luck w/med school acceptance? This seems more like a personal choice; not really relevant to the question of if this will help w/med school admissions.

Will this hurt your app? Wouldn't think so, but in my experience it won't help either, my MBA is from a top-tier school, it really didn't carry any weight, at all, anywhere, in the med school application process. But I would doubt it would hurt either.

you may want to consider how much debt you'd be adding with this degree and how this will figure in to your plans as a physician in the future, too

I don't think it will diminish your chances if you make the most out of your MBA. I'd encourage you to focus on healthcare management and the business of healthcare. If you can write about the things you've learned and gained, then you'll generate a great personal statement.