“Matriculate” - what is technical definition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daisysimpson87

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello,

What does matriculate mean? Does it mean I paid a deposit or that I attended class?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Re-applying after being accepted is looked down upon by admissions committees. Whether your butt was in a seat or not may or may not make it worse.

Reactions: 1 user
hello,

I was accepted at a new medical school and found out it has a poor reputation and is on probation. I initially accepted the acceptance, but am considering declining now even though I paid the deposit. I have improved my MCAT score and would like to re-apply. Did I matriculate by paying the deposit? Or, does matriculating mean I attended class? I know re-applying after matriculating is looked down upon by admissions committees.

Thanks!
Can you name the school? pm me if needed

Members don't see this ad :)
Technically you have not matriculated but your plan is playing with fire. When you say it's a new school with a poor reputation and is on probation, do you mean it is so new it has yet to receive full accreditation from LCME or it had full accreditation and was put on probation? Similarly, is the reputation poor because it's new and not established or are there concrete reasons beyond being new why it's reputation is poor? If the school is just going through "growing pains" you'll be doing way more harm than good by trying to reapply.

What new medical schools are already on probation?

Based on my sleuthing. She has posts on Western u Pomona DO school . But that's not exactly a new program so the mystery is still on.