Matched Prelim OB where do I go from here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manouchehr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did not match into a categorical OB program but instead into a prelim ob program. I did not want to change specialities because I wasnt willing to give up just yet. Where do I go from here? I know I can apply to PGY2 spots or do categorical next year...is that about it?

Members don't see this ad.

I did not match into a categorical OB program but instead into a prelim ob program. I did not want to change specialities because I wasnt willing to give up just yet. Where do I go from here? I know I can apply to PGY2 spots or do categorical next year...is that about it?

I'm sorry to hear of your situation.

The only other option I can think of is to be on the look out for categorical positions that open up between match and start dates. Spots can and do open up after the match (e.g. when people decide to quit medicine for whatever reason after the match or when visa paperwork of IMGs with categorical spots fall through etc). Although one problem for you might be that since you already have a spot (albeit prelim), you have an obligation to go where you matched except they let you out of the contract. Otherwise, I'm afraid the only options for you are the ones you already stated.