Match Week and rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This thread has gotten crazy, but why did you switch out of radiology?

Feel free to PM about it.

Members don't see this ad.

well frankly, i have read your many post here over the interview season, so the persona that you have displayed here has been one who comes here to ask for "advice" on her situation of changing from radiology to pm&r but when said advice was given, was defensive about it when it didn't encourage and congratulate you for your decision to leave the program you are at now to go for a different specialty…you took offense to the idea that somehow that you weren't as competitive an applicant that you thought you were…you thought it was unfair that a PD would not even give your application a look…

and funny, look who is throwing around the word unprofessional…really? is it really unprofessional for me, on an anonymous forum (though i use my real name so not so anonymous since its easy enough to find me) to say that you apparently did not understand my post or simply your ethics are such that you don't think lying is a bad thing…

and really?…a tirade on the word unprofessional then to spew such vitriol after being called to task about it? Bless your heart, I know you're stressed out because of fears that you won't match, but if your in person impression is anything like what you allow to be seen here…you're probably right to be stressed.

and if you were more observant, you would realize that I'm an endocrine fellow…matched in one of my top choices in both residency and fellowship…and i'm generally realistic and straight forward with my advice …its usually the ones that can't face the truth of their situations and want a little sunshine blown up their a** that get offended…

and please if i sent your post for "abuse" compared to mine? you win...

You also have a rating of 1 by your PATIENTS, who say you are rude, have a horrible personality, have a terrible bedside manner, write vicious things on the forum, graduated from some "caribbean" med school, have a hard time believing that someone like you made it to be a doctor, you are the worst doctor they have ever seen, are rude and inattentive. So your PATIENTS say and write this about you, people who have met you and had had care by you. That speaks volume. That is pretty terrifying.

You also have a rating of 1 by your PATIENTS, who say you are rude, have a horrible personality, have a terrible bedside manner, write vicious things on the forum, graduated from some "caribbean" med school, have a hard time believing that someone like you made it to be a doctor, you are the worst doctor they have ever seen, are rude and inattentive. So your PATIENTS say and write this about you, people who have met you and had had care by you. That speaks volume. That is pretty terrifying.

Duuuuuude, calm down. You'll be switching to PM&R, life will get better, take deep breaths...

Duuuuuude, calm down. You'll be switching to PM&R, life will get better, take deep breaths...

I'm perfectly calm. I am simply writing the opinions expressed by her patients, based on their reviews.

See, you provided a perfect example of unprofessionalism - attacking someone you don't know, and attacking others who that person may know. It is brash, rude, immature, childish, ignorant and unprofessional. Unless you know me, or anyone in my "circle" your comment is outright of someone who lacks basic thinking skills, and unacceptable. What kind of person makes an ignorant comment like that? Making vast, expansive comments like that is a pathetic, bullying mentality. So unbelievable ignorant that someone could possibly make a comment like this. You not only not know me, but know NO ONE in my circle. So why do you attack people you don't know?

You must be some angry unmatched IMG/FMG. I've read some of your posts, and are all filled with nastiness and attacks. Disgusting. Thank you for exemplifying what unprofessional is! Should I attack all foreign grads because you are ignorant and unprofessional? Bravo for being a perfect example of what not to be!!

Oh, and I will be sending this to abuse.

Looking back at many of your previous posts, you think anybody who responds to your posts without making you feel like a super special flower is rude and mean. I'm not trying to pick a fight, but just stating an observation.

And, unless you are a con-artist for a living, lying is unprofessional. Especially in medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
Looking back at many of your previous posts, you think anybody who responds to your posts without making you feel like a super special flower is rude and mean. I'm not trying to pick a fight, but just stating an observation.

And, unless you are a con-artist for a living, lying is unprofessional. Especially in medicine.

I don't need to be made to feel like a special flower. If you think the atrocious comments her patients write about her don't speak volumes, that is your choice. I would be shocked if my patients gave me a rating of 1 and said those terrible things about me. Having a review of 1 with her patients saying she's the worst doctor they've ever had and is awful to me says a lot. I never said anything about lying being ok.

The word "professional" is a word that is thrown out there too frequently, and when that happens, it loses it's true meaning. It's like when people get angry about something and say they are "discriminated" against for one reason or another, when in reality it has nothing to do with that. The reason many times people, and med students in this case, feel they need to make something up, or pretend is because they feel that there is something important, like the match in this case, and that they are going to be confronted with intransigence if they truly say hey i would like the day off. However, while it may not be the appropriate thing to do, it's hardly "unprofessional" to not come in, etc.

Further, most attendings/physicians/nurses/techs, etc are truly "unprofessional" on a daily basis, so let's get off the high horse please.

The true meaning of unprofessionalism has really gone out of whack. Defrauding medicare is unprofessional, being a bad/negligent physician is unprofessional, lying to your patients is unprofessional. Not coming in on Match day - not.

Sorry, we disagree on the meaning of unprofessional. If you are part of the team, and I am expecting you to be in, and you can't muster up the courtesy to say you won't be in, that is disrespectful and unprofessional to the entire team. I am super easy going, and don't care if you want the day off to worry or celebrate, so long as you give me a heads up. Heck, if you were with me as noon approaches, I'd probably send you home. But I care deeply about teaching and would never stand you up when you are expecting me, so I expect the same courtesy.

Reactions: 1 user
So this thread has resorted to personal attacks and dissemination of personal information... can this be locked and/or deleted? We're way far afield from the original topic.

You are the unprofessional one and always are. Endocrine fellow, enough said! Endocrine programs have to beg for fellows, being one of the most uncompetitive specialties in medicine. That's a joke. And exactly like I said - you are an attacker and display aggression towards others because you have a chip on your shoulder because you are an FMG and in the type of specialty you are in. Try not being so nasty, and perhaps you might just make it somewhere.

Oh and I don't see why you are not apologizing for attacking people you don't know? Since you should know "everyone" in my circle in order to talk about them. Otherwise, what does that say about you? If you don't think that's unprofessional, again there is something wrong with you. I don't talk about foreign grads in an all encompassing fashion just because you are nasty. That would be inappropriate and out of line. You have no qualms apparently about calling people liars, and insulting people you don't know.

And now you pretend to know about my application too huh? I see. Well I am the AMERICAN grad, who matched into RADIOLOGY, which is one of the most competitive specialties there are, who had the luxury of being able to switch into something else, and having had so many interviews in the end that I had to cancel a number of them. But don't let facts get in the way of your imagination and envy.

#bestthreadever

You are the unprofessional one and always are. Endocrine fellow, enough said! Endocrine programs have to beg for fellows, being one of the most uncompetitive specialties in medicine. That's a joke. And exactly like I said - you are an attacker and display aggression towards others because you have a chip on your shoulder because you are an FMG and in the type of specialty you are in. Try not being so nasty, and perhaps you might just make it somewhere.

Oh and I don't see why you are not apologizing for attacking people you don't know? Since you should know "everyone" in my circle in order to talk about them. Otherwise, what does that say about you? If you don't think that's unprofessional, again there is something wrong with you. I don't talk about foreign grads in an all encompassing fashion just because you are nasty. That would be inappropriate and out of line. You have no qualms apparently about calling people liars, and insulting people you don't know.

And now you pretend to know about my application too huh? I see. Well I am the AMERICAN grad, who matched into RADIOLOGY, which is one of the most competitive specialties there are, who had the luxury of being able to switch into something else, and having had so many interviews in the end that I had to cancel a number of them. But don't let facts get in the way of your imagination and envy.

WOW!! just WOW….
honey, there but the grace of God…

and you really do win for most offensive post…you really do...

and the only reason that i know about your application is that this thread
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/thoughts-on-my-situation.1034325/

is basically about your situation…and your response to the advice given by many attendings and vets on this board..

and you wrote this on another thread:
Hi all,

So I am switching specialties into PMR and applying this cycle. I submitted my app on the 15th at night, but did not have 2 of my letters until about the 18th or so.

I have been carefully following the list of invites. I have not gotten any invites yet and I'm worried!

Given that I did not initially apply to about 4 or so of the programs that gave out invites early like LSU, Nassau, UVA, etc I am getting concerned. My app was not 100% complete with all letters until about the 18th.

I am a US-MD, have good grades, did externships at 2 programs, have a PMR letter, have research and come from a competitive specialty.

Should I worry? I thought that I would be able to get a decent number of interviews but not sure what the problem is. Any thoughts/suggestions?

though you did delete it form your original post once aPD pointed out that you wrote this (+ one for SDN ers quoting posts).

yeah…that would be the guy in the ED who was upset that i didn't give him HIS dilaudid when he came into the ED…those of us who have actually treated patients know this patient fairly well...

THIS. This right here is why I am still reading this post. HILARIOUS!

You enjoying this thread scientifically means that you are 1-unprofessional 2-not going to match!! The NRMP already posted it on their website. Sorry dude!!

Last edited:
Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn.gif

Reactions: 2 users
I am glad that you are enjoying the thread. But you enjoying this thread scientifically means that you are 1-unprofessional 2-not going to match!!
The NRMP already posted it on their website. Sorry dude!!
WOW…again just WOW..now you think you have inside info from the NRMP?

and "countless"? i can count up to 4…is that difficult for you?

and somehow you are now "everyone", cuz you're the only one i see against me..

if you do manage to match, again, hope your new program doesn't see this...

WOW…again just WOW..now you think you have inside info from the NRMP?

if you do manage to match, again, hope your new program doesn't see this...

Are you really this "special"? If you can't follow a thread, you should not speak. If you can't follow the joke regarding what every change on the site means, then you shouldn't comment. Perhaps you should be more up to speed. You should be more worried about your patients thinking you are the worst doctor they have ever encountered.

i'm gonna stop now…you just make it too easy...

Only intelligent thing you have said. Your patients are right on! I couldn't agree with them more. You make it easy to see why Caribbean medical schools should be shut down.

lol, I still think Monday is a huge day. And what you say about bigger days ahead, well, that's always true in life. But that's why we have to live for the here and now. Just bc bigger days may be ahead, doesn't mean you should not celebrate the one that's ahead of you. "I'm not gonna celebrate on Monday bc Friday is a bigger day." "Finishing residency? Big deal. I'll celebrate when I finish fellowship." "Passed my specialty boards? So what, ill celebrate when I get a job." "I'm not gonna have too much fun when i get engaged, bc my marriage is bigger." "I'm not gonna have to much fun at my wedding, bc when my kids get married, that's the best day." You can't live life like that. Enjoy and celebrate what's ahead of you NOW. Monday is a big day for a lot of people.

Again five minutes of relief on Monday, versus a whole afternoon of festivities on Friday. One is the pomp and circumstnce and it's not the one a few on here are trying to pretend is the one thats the big deal about on here. Take the day off. It a foolish overreaction, to need a whole day off to check an email, but go for it. Definitely don't lie about it (that's pretty much the definition of unprofessional), and don't pretend it's so big a day that it gets a special name or that you need to be home with friends and family to check an email that solely confirms that you won't need to soap. On Tuesday 93% of you can come back on here and say how much you over exaggerated the "pomp and circumstnce" of Monday and how you are now nervous about WHERE you will match. Good luck guys. It will work out fine for most of you.

Again five minutes of relief on Monday, versus a whole afternoon of festivities on Friday. One is the pomp and circumstnce and it's not the one a few on here are trying to pretend is the one thats the big deal about on here. Take the day off. It a foolish overreaction, to need a whole day off to check an email, but go for it. Definitely don't lie about it (that's pretty much the definition of unprofessional), and don't pretend it's so big a day that it gets a special name or that you need to be home with friends and family to check an email that solely confirms that you won't need to soap. On Tuesday 93% of you can come back on here and say how much you over exaggerated the "pomp and circumstnce" of Monday and how you are now nervous about WHERE you will match. Good luck guys. It will work out fine for most of you.

As another poster asked, why is this so important to you? The original question has been answered, but you seem obsessed with convincing us that you're right and the rest of us are all wrong for having a different opinion about Monday. No, maybe it won't be the big deal we think it is. Maybe we will look back and realize how foolish we've been, but you've already had your 4th year, you've already had your celebration, you've already experienced the anxiety, eagerness, and anticipation of match week, which for some of us (who are in our 20s and not married or parents), is the biggest week of our lives thus far. There's no need for you to crash our party by repeatedly droning on about the same exact thing. No one's going to change their mind to placate you.

Clearly, you're new here. L2D is our resident pit bull. Once he grabs hold of something he won't let go until it's long dead.

You'll either leave SDN or get used to it.

Reactions: 4 users
Again five minutes of relief on Monday, versus a whole afternoon of festivities on Friday. One is the pomp and circumstnce and it's not the one a few on here are trying to pretend is the one thats the big deal about on here.

WTF dude? You have posted this almost verbatim about 10 times on multiple different threads over the past 48 hours all including the phrase "pomp and circumstance." Besides the fact, I haven't heard this phrase since probably high school English class, why are you so obsessed with repeating this ad naseum? Why do you care so much to tell people that all their feels about monday are super lame-o over and over and over again? Does it make you feel badass to act like you didn't care about finding out you matched? You come off sounding like you have the personality of a rock. Or a lawyer I guess? Where do you live, I will buy a beer and take you to the strip club. You need to loosen up just a tad.

Reactions: 2 users
As another poster asked, why is this so important to you? The original question has been answered, but you seem obsessed with convincing us that you're right and the rest of us are all wrong for having a different opinion about Monday. No, maybe it won't be the big deal we think it is. Maybe we will look back and realize how foolish we've been, but you've already had your 4th year, you've already had your celebration, you've already experienced the anxiety, eagerness, and anticipation of match week, which for some of us (who are in our 20s and not married or parents), is the biggest week of our lives thus far. There's no need for you to crash our party by repeatedly droning on about the same exact thing. No one's going to change their mind to placate you.

Clearly, you're new here. L2D is our resident pit bull. Once he grabs hold of something he won't let go until it's long dead.

You'll either leave SDN or get used to it.

Agreed. L2D is basically like a thin-lipped British schoolmarm robotically and incessantly giving us the canned "administrator" lines with frequent allusions to professionalism and propriety.

Personally, I do think taking Monday off is lame unless you're applying to something crazy competitive like derm/rad-onc/plastic surgery but to each their own. My feeling is that if your medical school demanded that you do a full clinical day on Match day proper (the Friday), L2D would still support that as properly professional.

I will be working both Monday and Friday of next week, as we aren't given any time off (unless we fail to match and need to SOAP, and then we can request time off). We don't have the envelope ceremony on Friday like other schools, as ours is just a regular full-day working Friday. There is a match day party on Friday evening, however... but that's it in terms of festivities. I will simply be sneaking glances at my smartphone during morning rounds on Monday and Friday to find out my match status.

... My feeling is that if your medical school demanded that you do a full clinical day on Match day proper (the Friday), L2D would still support that as properly professional.

I already said I thought match day was the day you should (and at most places do) have off. Please. I'm objecting to the expansion of the match to the day you find out if you have to soap.

...You have posted this almost verbatim about 10 times on multiple different threads over the past 48 hours all including the phrase "pomp and circumstance." Besides the fact, I haven't heard this phrase since probably high school English class, why are you so obsessed with repeating this ad naseum?....

To be fair, I think Dr BowTie started using the term "pomp and circumstance" on this thread on page two. I just echoed it.

To be fair, I think Dr BowTie started using the term "pomp and circumstance" on this thread on page two. I just echoed it.

You guys will all do fine. By the end of match you will realize that Monday before match day was more a celebration of neurosis than a day of import. You will get what I'm saying in one week. Good luck.

If you were on inpatient medicine (as an AI) with long call the day after match day, would you feel justified asking your team if you could have that day off?

If you were on inpatient medicine (as an AI) with long call the day after match day, would you feel justified asking your team if you could have that day off?

No. You have real responsibility...you really shouldnt be doing anything like that this late anyway

No way. If you're doing an AI/sub-I, then it screws over the rest of the team for your responsibilities to fall on someone else. You have an actual job to do, especially on a call day where you're admitting patients.

If you voluntarily scheduled this rotation during March I have to scratch my head and wonder why. If you had no say in the matter, sorry bro that sucks.

im on my AI (IM) and my attending told me to text him tuesday, didnt really have to ask for the day off. i would be on admitting duty

I'm not on call that day but we are on call on Match day. Of course match day itself is a mandatory day off and unfortunately for my team that is our long call day!

I also asked for the day after match off. I made it known that it was just a request but I lucked out and my senior resident gave it to me! You need your mandatory 4 days off for the month anyway and at this point I hate to say it but your evaluations DO NOT MEAN ANYTHInG. A pass is as good as it gets.

I'm not on call that day but we are on call on Match day. Of course match day itself is a mandatory day off and unfortunately for my team that is our long call day!

I also asked for the day after match off. I made it known that it was just a request but I lucked out and my senior resident gave it to me! You need your mandatory 4 days off for the month anyway and at this point I hate to say it but your evaluations DO NOT MEAN ANYTHInG. A pass is as good as it gets.

I'll probably just see if the team offers me the day off. I may be here prelim year so I don't want to burn bridges.

Last edited:
Like an AI or Sub I. Those, IMHO should only be done 1st semester

Would be nice. I can't speak for other medical schools, but ours you can "try" to do a sub-I earlier in the year but it's lottery-based, so a lot of people end up on the sub-I during the spring. That, and all the people who had to do a ton of aways because they were going into something competitive had no choice but to do their sub-I later. No point in telling people they shouldn't be doing it now, because for 90% of them it's not because they wanted to....

To go back to this altercation, its clear you both have some issues. I will say this: after 4 years (almost 5) of visiting valuemd and sdn, i have never seen rokshana answer a question or comment on a post without a sarcastic/insulting/condescending flavor to it.

To go back to this altercation, its clear you both have some issues. I will say this: after 4 years (almost 5) of visiting valuemd and sdn, i have never seen rokshana answer a question or comment on a post without a sarcastic/insulting/condescending flavor to it.
5 years? You need to find something better to do. The day i match is the day i delete my username and stop wasting time on here.

Would be nice. I can't speak for other medical schools, but ours you can "try" to do a sub-I earlier in the year but it's lottery-based, so a lot of people end up on the sub-I during the spring. That, and all the people who had to do a ton of aways because they were going into something competitive had no choice but to do their sub-I later. No point in telling people they shouldn't be doing it now, because for 90% of them it's not because they wanted to....
Hmm yea I could see those being issues. We haven't had anyone do a med AI since January...the closest thing ppl do is psych or er which are pretty easy rotations here, even as a sub i