Match Week and rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Was that supposed to be a joke? Sorry, I don't get the punch line. You were giving the impresson that plastics is not in the NRMP match so I made that post. Also was reminding you of the other competitive specialties in the main match just to show that most are still waiting :)

of course you didn't, hon…its 11 days before match…things will get better after march 21st.

if monday is your personal D day, well then so be it…but unless you are having to SOAP, its really not a reason for a holiday…no one is having parties or planned celebrations…that is for the actual Match Day.

and again, if you're worried about matching or you just don't think you can handle being around people, then ask for the day off…i seriously doubt your preceptor is going to say no...

Members don't see this ad.

of course you didn't, hon…its 11 days before match…things will get better after march 21st.

if monday is your personal D day, well then so be it…but unless you are having to SOAP, its really not a reason for a holiday…no one is having parties or planned celebrations…that is for the actual Match Day.

and again, if you're worried about matching or you just don't think you can handle being around people, then ask for the day off…i seriously doubt your preceptor is going to say no...
Maybe you're confusing me with someone else? I never said that you should take the day off. I think my post earlier was quite clear that you should just tell the team you will be taking a time out around 12 to check your email and then only if you don't match, take the day (and then I guess the next few days) off to successfully SOAP. Thankfully, I scheduled my time this month so I will not have to stress about access to email.

So to be clear, the joke was pretending to think that plastics is not in the main match? I'm sorry, but that's not so much funny but dorky...

Reactions: 1 users
lol at the attendings in here.

There is a 0% chance that I will show up to my outpatient neurology elective on Monday where I shadow for a couple hours then leave. 4th year is a joke, everyone knows it, and how dare you act like it would be this egregious unprofessional tragedy if an MS4 didn't show up one day for an elective rotation.

If everything goes according to plan I'll be up to my eyeballs in green beer this time next week....

Reactions: 1 user
There is a 0% chance that I will show up to my outpatient neurology elective on Monday where I shadow for a couple hours then leave. 4th year is a joke, everyone knows it, and how dare you act like it would be this egregious unprofessional tragedy if an MS4 didn't show up one day for an elective rotation.

1. It's only as much of a joke as you make it. Personally, I'm still learning a ton, though I'm working much harder than most of my classmates (case in point, I woke up at 5:45 this morning to go to a teaching conference, even though clinic didn't start til 9).
2. Just not showing up is unprofessional, even if you aren't doing anything, which is the whole point in this thread. It's not a tragedy--people probably won't care all that much. But it is unprofessional. If you still choose to just not show up, that's your prerogative.

1. It's only as much of a joke as you make it. Personally, I'm still learning a ton, though I'm working much harder than most of my classmates (case in point, I woke up at 5:45 this morning to go to a teaching conference, even though clinic didn't start til 9).
2. Just not showing up is unprofessional, even if you aren't doing anything, which is the whole point in this thread. It's not a tragedy--people probably won't care all that much. But it is unprofessional. If you still choose to just not show up, that's your prerogative.

I will be telling my attending I have match stuff going on, so I will not be in clinic.

I'd be shocked if I see any 4th year medical student walking around the hospital during Match week. If I do see one, I'd personally give them money to get the **** out of there and buy themselves booze.

Reactions: 2 users
This isn't match day. There is no such thing as "match Monday". This is just the day you find out if you need to soap. It's not the day you've been working for for 8 years. The following Friday, when you find out where you've matched is. 93%+ of you are just going to get an email on that Monday saying you've matched. Not where, not in what city. It's just a sigh of relief and back to waiting for match day, when you actually find out the important stuff like where you are going to be for the next 3-7 years. Do you really need to be off for what will literally take you 10 seconds to look at before you are back to waiting for match day? And as for this being the biggest day of your life, it isn't. Not even close. It's just perhaps the first of many many career relevant days, but the first big one, much bigger than this, will happen at the end of that week. And for that one all schools give a day off. Let's not get carried away about what really is just the day the NRMP let's you know if you still have work to do before match day -- and that's really all this is.

There is such a thing as Match Monday tho. Everyone isn't guaranteed to match, even if the odds are high. I sure as hell felt queasy the night before and felt Monday was the happiest day of the week. Friday was icing on the cake, going to a great program that I loved on the trail. I know you don't think highly of the Monday of match week, but plenty of people do, knowing they are guaranteed a residency.

After all, you could be the unlucky 7% that doesn't match. Despite 100+ people telling me I shouldn't worry, my heart was pounding when I saw that email. :O

lol at the attendings in here.

If everything goes according to plan I'll be up to my eyeballs in green beer this time next week....
LOL @ the medical students in here with poor reading comprehension.

Its *unprofessional* to LIE about not coming to clinic, not to take the day off from an elective rotation.

There is such a thing as Match Monday tho. Everyone isn't guaranteed to match, even if the odds are high. I sure as hell felt queasy the night before and felt Monday was the happiest day of the week. Friday was icing on the cake, going to a great program that I loved on the trail. I know you don't think highly of the Monday of match week, but plenty of people do, knowing they are guaranteed a residency.

After all, you could be the unlucky 7% that doesn't match. Despite 100+ people telling me I shouldn't worry, my heart was pounding when I saw that email. :O

and just how many posts do you think we are gonna see come monday bemoaning the fact that now they know they are match why oh why can't they tell us WHERE…why do we have to wait a whole FOUR days! to find out where they matched…monday? pfft! means something for the 2 seconds that you stopped worrying about IF you matched then…NADA…a new neurosis will over take over for the next 4 days...

and just how many posts do you think we are gonna see come monday bemoaning the fact that now they know they are match why oh why can't they tell us WHERE…why do we have to wait a whole FOUR days! to find out where they matched…monday? pfft! means something for the 2 seconds that you stopped worrying about IF you matched then…NADA…a new neurosis will over take over for the next 4 days...

I was too intoxicated to be nervous :p

Agreed. The email you get on Monday is huge... For about 10 seconds. Maybe 5 if you are a fast reader. Then the wave of relief passes and you realize that the really huge moment is still four whole agonizing days away. Let's not over exaggerate the importance of Monday by giving it a special name (black Monday, match Monday, whatever). Probably everyone on here is going to be in the 93%. the people neurotic enough to think they need the whole day off to check their email are usually the people who did enough to make themselves competitive for a residency slot someplace. If you need to soap, and most if you won't, it will be advantageous to be on campus anyhow. You will have many many career impacting moments in your life. Match day is one if them. match day is a big day, but the Monday before barely registers on the Richter scale. It's one if those things that as a med student you look at as huge but your frame of reference is skewed, and starting a week after the match you will realize the Monday before match day was pretty meaningless. It told most of you what in your hearts you probably already knew -- that the ten + stellar interviews you felt you had were enough to match someplace. It's the "someplace" that's the question mark for 93% of you (any field), and you won't find that out until match day.

I recall checking my email while on rotation. It wasn't really the big deal a lot if you guys are making it out to be. (and this was back in the day of the scramble, when things weren't as nicely organized if you didn't match). You sweat bullet for a second and its over. No celebration, no need to be surrounded by friends and family. Match day is your pomp and circumstance day, the day you share with friends and family and find out something meaningful. The day your school makes a big deal out if your career path. The prior Monday is just a day when a very small minority if you find out you still have some work to do. And even for them the end results of soap or a need to do a research year often still work out fine.

Last edited:
Agreed. The email you get on Monday is huge... For about 10 seconds. Maybe 5 if you are a fast reader. Then the wave of relief passes and you realize that the really huge moment is still four whole agonizing days away. Let's not over exaggerate the importance of Monday by giving it a special name (black Monday, match Monday, whatever). Probably everyone on here is going to be in the 93%. the people neurotic enough to think they need the whole day off to check their email are usually the people who did enough to make themselves competitive for a residency slot someplace. If you need to soap, and most if you won't, it will be advantageous to be on campus anyhow. You will have many many career impacting moments in your life. Match day is one if them. match day is a big day, but the Monday before barely registers on the Richter scale. It's one if those things that as a med student you look at as huge but your frame of reference is skewed, and starting a week after the match you will realize the Monday before match day was pretty meaningless. It told most of you what in your hearts you probably already knew -- that the ten + stellar interviews you felt you had were enough to match someplace. It's the "someplace" that's the question mark for 93% of you (any field), and you won't find that out until match day.

I recall checking my email while on rotation. It wasn't really the big deal a lot if you guys are making it out to be. (and this was back in the day of the scramble, when things weren't as nicely organized if you didn't match). You sweat bullet for a second and its over. No celebration, no need to be surrounded by friends and family. Match day is your pomp and circumstance day, the day you share with friends and family and find out something meaningful. The day your school makes a big deal out if your career path. The prior Monday is just a day when a very small minority if you find out you still have some work to do. And even for them the end results of soap or a need to do a research year often still work out fine.
Many students around the country are at branch campuses and have to travel back to the main campus (in some cases 2+ hours away) on Monday.

But carry on...

I do not advocate feigning an illness. But as someone else said, nothing is guaranteed until it happens. And that's why I feel Monday is a HUGE day.

I don't even know how I'm gonna sleep on Sunday night lol.

I feel like it's a big day... loans looming over our heads, after having done several audition rotations, going through the motions of interviewing, realizing the ridiculousness of the entire process, worrying you might have to scramble with nothing guaranteed... finding out you matched/have a job is sort of a big deal. I would be happy pretty much anywhere on my rank list, I just want to find out if I matched or not. You can't change where you go if you match but if you don't, you have a lot to take in and things to do. Monday > Friday.

I do not want to downplay the importance of Monday, especially for people trying to get into competitive specialties, but I'm still looking forward to Friday more than Monday. I have a pretty decent feeling that I will match (knock on wood). If things go to planned, on Monday I will take just a little break from looking at path slides to see if I matched, tell the pathologist that I matched (hopefully), explain why I do not know the location yet and then go back to looking at slides. I will probably be sent home early anyways so I can celebrate with some green beer while I once again play the waiting game. If there is any day I want off, it is Friday so I can share the moment with my wife as she has been super involved in this process with me. But alas, I will be doing at least a little bit of work on Match Day; hopefully, I can get off early enough to get home before the big email. If you really want that Monday off though, there is no point in lying about it. Be straight up with your attending or resident. Most likely they will be understanding.

Don't be so overconfident law2doc. You never know who can match...although the vast majority of US md grads do, there have been surprises in who are the SOAPers

For all we know, that 93 percent can drop. Plus, there are do and IMg people on this forum too. :p

It's nice to know you got a job come Monday, instead of being a barista with a medical degree!

Not sure why you're assuming that everyone here is a U.S. MD.

Not sure why you're assuming that everyone here is a U.S. MD.

Fair enough, although most of the early posters on this thread clearly are. if you are foreign you probably aren't on traditional rotations anyhow and so your flexibility might be quite different and you wouldn't need to lie about being sick. But you are right, if you are a DO applying for the allo match, my advice isn't really targeted toward you.

It's nice to know you got a job come Monday, instead of being a barista with a medical degree!

You would think, but come Friday afternoon after match day there will literally be dozens of new threads of people "devastated' about how far down their match list they fell, where they have to move to, having second thoughts, wanting to confront PDs, etc. To whom the barista job might not seem that bad. The overall sentiment on here will Not be "just happy to have matched". It will be "how can I get a do-over?" happens every year. Friday is the big deal.

You would think, but come Friday afternoon after match day there will literally be dozens of new threads of people "devastated' about how far down their match list they fell, where they have to move to, having second thoughts, wanting to confront PDs, etc. To whom the barista job might not seem that bad. The overall sentiment on here will Not be "just happy to have matched". It will be "how can I get a do-over?" happens every year. Friday is the big deal.

True, however I think it would be silly if someone seriously would prefer being a barista vs. getting into a program low on their list. Personally, if you hate a program, don't rank it...but I can understand in competitive specialties this may not be an option. After all, you are still going into your chosen field.

I will never understand how people could "hate" a program so much they'd rather not match than to go to it. My thoughts are that any program that I'd SOAP into (should I be so lucky as to do so) is probably worse than the program at the bottom of my list.

Sure, 20 years ago when there were plenty of Scramble spots, ok. But now? You'd have to be crazy not to rank every program you interviewed at.

I will never understand how people could "hate" a program so much they'd rather not match than to go to it. My thoughts are that any program that I'd SOAP into (should I be so lucky as to do so) is probably worse than the program at the bottom of my list.

Sure, 20 years ago when there were plenty of Scramble spots, ok. But now? You'd have to be crazy not to rank every program you interviewed at.

I ranked every program I interviewed at for that very reason. But I do have to say that hearing stories from some of my classmates, there were two that I know of who left programs off their list. Both said they were malignant programs. One said that at the dinner the night before, faculty showed up unannounced and the residents suddenly went from smiling and laughing and starting to let loose to being more formal and quiet and simply answering questions. During the lunch the day of, the PD and faculty attended. His only time alone with the residents was during the tour with all the other candidates and two residents, one of whom kept repeating the phrase "you will work extremely hard here" over and over again and the other who said, without naming names that programs put on their best face when candidates are visiting.

If I had had an experience like that, I don't know if I would rank the place.

IMG here…and L2D was replying to my assertion that monday is not THE day…Match Day is THE day…

Yes, and he kept repeating that 93% number. That number is irrelevant to both IMGs and DOs. It only applies to U.S. MDs, which is what prompted my post.

Yes, and he kept repeating that 93% number. That number is irrelevant to both IMGs and DOs. It only applies to U.S. MDs, which is what prompted my post.

the 93% most certainly…and did I have a twinge of worry despite having ranked 18 programs? yes…but after the quick wave of relief…it was all about match day…1pm couldn't come fast enough!

I ranked every program I interviewed at for that very reason. But I do have to say that hearing stories from some of my classmates, there were two that I know of who left programs off their list. Both said they were malignant programs. One said that at the dinner the night before, faculty showed up unannounced and the residents suddenly went from smiling and laughing and starting to let loose to being more formal and quiet and simply answering questions. During the lunch the day of, the PD and faculty attended. His only time alone with the residents was during the tour with all the other candidates and two residents, one of whom kept repeating the phrase "you will work extremely hard here" over and over again and the other who said, without naming names that programs put on their best face when candidates are visiting.

That sounds awful! It's a bit interesting though. You have to think "would I rather not have a job than to go to this place?" For me, the answer is HECK NO. I've toughed it through some pretty rough jobs in my life, and I'm pretty sure I can handle a lot of ****. But frankly I can't afford NOT to match. On the other hand, if you're independently wealthy (or have family that can back you up), then I suppose that calculus changes a bit.

Then again, I cancelled interviews, so who am I to talk? Although that was more of a financial and time constraint issue, and I cancelled both top and not-top programs alike.

Well we just call it "Monday" because that's pretty much all it is for the 93+% of US allo med students who will match.
Not if you go into ortho. Around 75% for US MD students.

It's a real concern for the many of us who go into surgical subspecialties where there are fewer than 5 spots per program.

By next Monday I will know whether or not I'll become an orthopod, and not just a pretender. That is a big deal to me.

Last edited:
Not if you go into ortho. Around 75% for US MD students.

It's a real concern for the many of us who go into surgical subspecialties where there are fewer than 5 spots per program.

By next Monday I will know whether or not I'll become an orthopod, and not just a pretender. That is a big deal to me.

It's a big deal but precedes a much bigger deal. You will have many many such big deals throughout your career. Monday is the smallest one, and impacts the smallest percentage. You guys are just augmenting it's importance because it's first. You will understand what I'm saying in two weeks.

You will see posts of people who ranked the bottom of their list without thinking, assuming it would never come to that. Or they will assume that anything is better than soap, but find out several classmates soaped into something cushy that slipped through the cracks, while they ended up in something borderline malignant because they played it scared. Or they just have buyers remorse. You will see, plenty of people won't have the attitude that just matching is something to be happy about. But unlike coming up short on Monday, there isn't a built in few days to try and fix things. Friday is when it becomes contractual.

Most (US allo) will match into one of their top handful of choices. But far more (US allo) people leave match day with lingering doubts or outright unhappiness than the number of people (US allo) for whom soap was necessary on Monday. No matter how you slice it Friday is going to be more people's best and worst day, not Monday. Monday is a wave of relief, maybe a "fist pump" (as a prior poster described) and it's on to the next big day. Friday is the pomp and circumstance, leading to a day of joy or second thoughts.

Last edited:
Give me some perspective here...what's more important than finding out you're matched aka have a job (especially true for people going into more competitive fields)? If you pass step 3? In service exam? Landing a cush job post residency? I'd be happy finding out I have a job... everything I do after is just dependent on me doing my job well, which I will if I have one.

Edit: I'd agree with a poster above, Friday is icing on the cake

Last edited:
I do think this is a millennial thing. I remember the Monday before Match day. I was rotating in derm clinic. Asked the resident to check my email at 11:55, saw that I matched, went right back to work.

I don't think I'm working with any fourth years next week, but I'd let them leave or take the day off if they asked/brought it up. If they just didn't show up, I'd think that was unprofessional. It doesn't take much to shoot an email saying you won't be in due to match festivities.

I did not rank every program I interviewed at. I figured I'd rather reapply than go there. Residency isn't a normal job that you can just quit in a year if it sucks. If it sucks you're kind of locked in, especially if you want to stay in the same specialty. Obviously I don't have decades of experience, but getting my first attending job will not be the same. Someone told me on the interview trail that sthg like 80% of new grads in my field had swtiched jobs by the end of 2nd year. There isn't that same kind of finality.

... It doesn't take much to shoot an email saying you won't be in due to match festivities.

There are no "match festivities" on Monday. The match festivities are the following Friday. The question here is whether they should be off Monday so they can confirm that they don't have to soap. I think most residents dont really care what med students do that Monday or any Monday -- but that's not really the question.

Give me some perspective here...what's more important than finding out you're matched aka have a job (especially true for people going into more competitive fields)? If you pass step 3? In service exam? Landing a cush job post residency? I'd be happy finding out I have a job... everything I do after is just dependent on me doing my job well, which I will if I have one.

Edit: I'd agree with a poster above, Friday is icing on the cake

Landing a good fellowship, a good job after fellowship, passing specialty boards, all will be big days. Some will be bigger than the match because the competition will be tougher, you will have invested more months in the process, and they have a bigger impact in the exact job you will have at the end. You won't just be "just happy to have a job" at that point any more than people are "just happy to have a residency"; people are more picky about that and geography any family often weigh in more as you get further into the process.

Step 3 and inservice aren't on the same par -- you can create problems for yourself if you don't pass, but the upside or likely career impact is really not the same.

The match is the biggest day of your life until the next biggest day. Just like getting into med school was a big deal before that. It won't be your last big day and potentially won't be your biggest. You guys are putting a lot of weight on it because it's what's looming in front if you, obscuring the other things beyond it, totally reasonable but an issue of perspective. But again, the Monday before the match isn't even the match. It's a small speed bump to get over before you reach the big event. It's neither the cake nor the icing on the cake, it's really just making sure you have your fork handy before the cake gets delivered on Friday. Friday is still the cake. 93% of US allo people will have forks and another 6% will find some semblance of a utensil by Friday. But let's not get carried away and celebrate having a fork.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Landing a good fellowship, a good job after fellowship, passing specialty boards, all will be big days. Some will be bigger than the match because the competition will be tougher, you will have invested more months in the process, and they have a bigger impact in the exact job you will have at the end. You won't just be "just happy to have a job" at that point any more than people are "just happy to have a residency"; people are more picky about that and geography any family often weigh in more as you get further into the process.

Step 3 and inservice aren't on the same par -- you can create problems for yourself if you don't pass, but the upside or likely career impact is really not the same.

The match is the biggest day of your life until the next biggest day. Just like getting into med school was a big deal before that. It won't be your last big day and potentially won't be your biggest. You guys are putting a lot of weight on it because it's what's looming in front if you, obscuring the other things beyond it, totally reasonable but an issue of perspective. But again, the Monday before the match isn't even the match. It's a small speed bump to get over before you reach the big event. It's neither the cake nor the icing on the cake, it's really just making sure you have your fork handy before the cake gets delivered on Friday. Friday is still the cake. 93% of US allo people will have forks and another 6% will find some semblance of a utensil by Friday. But let's not get carried away and celebrate having a fork.

Who pissed in your Cheerios?

Why are you so hellbent on convincing everyone Monday isn't important. You've said your piece, message received, some people still think its a big deal...I'd take the day off if I was waiting to hear about matching even though Im going into FM and had no worries about the match. Its an exciting time after a lot of hard work...who cares if subsequent days eclipse its importance...as long as its ok with your service who cares if you think its important enough.

I matched back in December with the military and the thrill of the match has faded already but I dont regret the day off to celebrate. Quit being a killjoy

lol, I still think Monday is a huge day. And what you say about bigger days ahead, well, that's always true in life. But that's why we have to live for the here and now. Just bc bigger days may be ahead, doesn't mean you should not celebrate the one that's ahead of you. "I'm not gonna celebrate on Monday bc Friday is a bigger day." "Finishing residency? Big deal. I'll celebrate when I finish fellowship." "Passed my specialty boards? So what, ill celebrate when I get a job." "I'm not gonna have too much fun when i get engaged, bc my marriage is bigger." "I'm not gonna have to much fun at my wedding, bc when my kids get married, that's the best day." You can't live life like that. Enjoy and celebrate what's ahead of you NOW. Monday is a big day for a lot of people.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Wow -- this thread took a turn for the controversial.

In answer, I agree with the old codgers that it's unprofessional to just skip -- but I'm guessing that almost any rotation will give you the day off if you request it. Just own up to it.

Our school sent out an e-mail today saying all students are excused from clinical duties from 10-12 (CST) Monday. Those who do not match are supposed to go straight to the Dean's office and are excused for the rest of the week. Also, they reserved various bars for every night this week and match day.

To the above poster whose school does not give them the day off for actual match day: that sucks. You should tell your school where to shove it on your exit survey.

Reactions: 3 users
Wow -- this thread took a turn for the controversial.

In answer, I agree with the old codgers that it's unprofessional to just skip -- but I'm guessing that almost any rotation will give you the day off if you request it. Just own up to it.

Our school sent out an e-mail today saying all students are excused from clinical duties from 10-12 (CST) Monday. Those who do not match are supposed to go straight to the Dean's office and are excused for the rest of the week. Also, they reserved various bars for every night this week and match day.

To the above poster whose school does not give them the day off for actual match day: that sucks. You should tell your school where to shove it on your exit survey.

Your school sounds awesome!

There are no "match festivities" on Monday. The match festivities are the following Friday. The question here is whether they should be off Monday so they can confirm that they don't have to soap. I think most residents dont really care what med students do that Monday or any Monday -- but that's not really the question.
no the question was whether a med student should lie about not coming in on monday…like you said…i don't think anyone would care if you ask for the day off, even without an explanation…pretending to be sick to have the day off is the unprofessional thing…and silly when , again, no one would really care in the 1st place.

no the question was whether a med student should lie about not coming in on monday…like you said…i don't think anyone would care if you ask for the day off, even without an explanation…pretending to be sick to have the day off is the unprofessional thing…and silly when , again, no one would really care in the 1st place.

The word "professional" is a word that is thrown out there too frequently, and when that happens, it loses it's true meaning. It's like when people get angry about something and say they are "discriminated" against for one reason or another, when in reality it has nothing to do with that. The reason many times people, and med students in this case, feel they need to make something up, or pretend is because they feel that there is something important, like the match in this case, and that they are going to be confronted with intransigence if they truly say hey i would like the day off. However, while it may not be the appropriate thing to do, it's hardly "unprofessional" to not come in, etc.

Further, most attendings/physicians/nurses/techs, etc are truly "unprofessional" on a daily basis, so let's get off the high horse please.

The true meaning of unprofessionalism has really gone out of whack. Defrauding medicare is unprofessional, being a bad/negligent physician is unprofessional, lying to your patients is unprofessional. Not coming in on Match day - not.

The word "professional" is a word that is thrown out there too frequently, and when that happens, it loses it's true meaning. It's like when people get angry about something and say they are "discriminated" against for one reason or another, when in reality it has nothing to do with that. The reason many times people, and med students in this case, feel they need to make something up, or pretend is because they feel that there is something important, like the match in this case, and that they are going to be confronted with intransigence if they truly say hey i would like the day off. However, while it may not be the appropriate thing to do, it's hardly "unprofessional" to not come in, etc.

Further, most attendings/physicians/nurses/techs, etc are truly "unprofessional" on a daily basis, so let's get off the high horse please.

The true meaning of unprofessionalism has really gone out of whack. Defrauding medicare is unprofessional, being a bad/negligent physician is unprofessional, lying to your patients is unprofessional. Not coming in on Match day - not.
you may want to go back an read my post a bit more slowly since evidently you didn't quite comprehend it…not coming in on monday…big sinking' deal…no one is really gonna care….LYING about it…yes, call me moral, but LYING is unprofessional…apparently just because "everyone" in your circle does it, doesn't make it right.

you may want to go back an read my post a bit more slowly since evidently you didn't quite comprehend it…not coming in on monday…big sinking' deal…no one is really gonna care….LYING about it…yes, call me moral, but LYING is unprofessional…apparently just because "everyone" in your circle does it, doesn't make it right.

See, you provided a perfect example of unprofessionalism - attacking someone you don't know, and attacking others who that person may know. It is brash, rude, immature, childish, ignorant and unprofessional. Unless you know me, or anyone in my "circle" your comment is outright of someone who lacks basic thinking skills, and unacceptable. What kind of person makes an ignorant comment like that? Making vast, expansive comments like that is a pathetic, bullying mentality. So unbelievable ignorant that someone could possibly make a comment like this. You not only not know me, but know NO ONE in my circle. So why do you attack people you don't know?

Oh, and I will be sending this to abuse.

Last edited:
How many nurses, police officers, etc take sick days for vacation? In most hourly shift jobs, this is common practice.

How many nurses, police officers, etc take sick days for vacation? In most hourly shift jobs, this is common practice.

Of course. It makes complete sense that such a big day many if not most people would not show up! I think this intransigence we have in medicine is exceptionally damaging to the field in general. This idea of beating down trainees because people are frustrated, annoyed, unhappy with their decisions creates a very negative environment.

See, you provided a perfect example of unprofessionalism - attacking someone you don't know, and attacking others who that person may know. It is brash, rude, immature, childish, ignorant and unprofessional. Unless you know me, or anyone in my "circle" your comment is outright of someone who lacks basic thinking skills, and unacceptable. What kind of person makes an ignorant comment like that? Making vast, expansive comments like that is a pathetic, bullying mentality. So unbelievable ignorant that someone could possibly make a comment like this. You not only not know me, but know NO ONE in my circle. So why do you attack people you don't know?

You must be some angry unmatched IMG/FMG. I've read some of your posts, and are all filled with nastiness and attacks. Disgusting. Thank you for exemplifying what unprofessional is! Should I attack all foreign grads because you are ignorant and unprofessional? Bravo for being a perfect example of what not to be!!

Oh, and I will be sending this to abuse.

well frankly, i have read your many post here over the interview season, so the persona that you have displayed here has been one who comes here to ask for "advice" on her situation of changing from radiology to pm&r but when said advice was given, was defensive about it when it didn't encourage and congratulate you for your decision to leave the program you are at now to go for a different specialty…you took offense to the idea that somehow that you weren't as competitive an applicant that you thought you were…you thought it was unfair that a PD would not even give your application a look…

and funny, look who is throwing around the word unprofessional…really? is it really unprofessional for me, on an anonymous forum (though i use my real name so not so anonymous since its easy enough to find me) to say that you apparently did not understand my post or simply your ethics are such that you don't think lying is a bad thing…

and really?…a tirade on the word unprofessional then to spew such vitriol after being called to task about it? Bless your heart, I know you're stressed out because of fears that you won't match, but if your in person impression is anything like what you allow to be seen here…you're probably right to be stressed.

and if you were more observant, you would realize that I'm an endocrine fellow…matched in one of my top choices in both residency and fellowship…and i'm generally realistic and straight forward with my advice …its usually the ones that can't face the truth of their situations and want a little sunshine blown up their a** that get offended…

and please if i sent your post for "abuse" compared to mine? you win...

well frankly, i have read your many post here over the interview season, so the persona that you have displayed here has been one who comes here to ask for "advice" on her situation of changing from radiology to pm&r but when said advice was given, was defensive about it when it didn't encourage and congratulate you for your decision to leave the program you are at now to go for a different specialty…you took offense to the idea that somehow that you weren't as competitive an applicant that you thought you were…you thought it was unfair that a PD would not even give your application a look…

and funny, look who is throwing around the word unprofessional…really? is it really unprofessional for me, on an anonymous forum (though i use my real name so not so anonymous since its easy enough to find me) to say that you apparently did not understand my post or simply your ethics are such that you don't think lying is a bad thing…

and really?…a tirade on the word unprofessional then to spew such vitriol after being called to task about it? I know you're stressed out because of fears that you won't match, but if your in person impression is anything like what you allow to be seen here…you're probably right to be stressed.

and if you were more observant, you would realize that I'm an endocrine fellow…matched in one of my top choices in both residency and fellowship…and i'm generally realistic and straight forward with my advice …its usually the ones that can't face the truth of their situations and want a little sunshine blown up their a** that get offended…

and please if i sent your post for "abuse" compared to mine? you win...

You are the unprofessional one and always are. Endocrine fellow, enough said! Endocrine programs have to beg for fellows, being one of the most uncompetitive specialties in medicine. That's a joke. And exactly like I said - you are an attacker and display aggression towards others because you have a chip on your shoulder because you are an FMG and in the type of specialty you are in. Try not being so nasty, and perhaps you might just make it somewhere.

Oh and I don't see why you are not apologizing for attacking people you don't know? Since you should know "everyone" in my circle in order to talk about them. Otherwise, what does that say about you? If you don't think that's unprofessional, again there is something wrong with you. I don't talk about foreign grads in an all encompassing fashion just because you are nasty. That would be inappropriate and out of line. You have no qualms apparently about calling people liars, and insulting people you don't know.

And now you pretend to know about my application too huh? I see. Well I am the AMERICAN grad, who matched into RADIOLOGY, which is one of the most competitive specialties there are, who had the luxury of being able to switch into something else, and having had so many interviews in the end that I had to cancel a number of them. But don't let facts get in the way of your imagination and envy.

You are the unprofessional one and always are. Endocrine fellow, enough said! Endocrine programs have to beg for fellows, being one of the most uncompetitive specialties in medicine. That's a joke. And exactly like I said - you are an attacker and display aggression towards others because you have a chip on your shoulder because you are an FMG and in the type of specialty you are in. Try not being so nasty, and perhaps you might just make it somewhere.

Oh and I don't see why you are not apologizing for attacking people you don't know? Since you should know "everyone" in my circle in order to talk about them. Otherwise, what does that say about you? If you don't think that's unprofessional, again there is something wrong with you. I don't talk about foreign grads in an all encompassing fashion just because you are nasty. That would be inappropriate and out of line. You have no qualms apparently about calling people liars, and insulting people you don't know.

And now you pretend to know about my application too huh? I see. Well I am the AMERICAN grad, who matched into RADIOLOGY, which is one of the most competitive specialties there are, who had the luxury of being able to switch into something else, and having had so many interviews in the end that I had to cancel a number of them. But don't let facts get in the way of your imagination and envy.

This thread has gotten crazy, but why did you switch out of radiology?