Match week 2020 discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radoncgrad2019

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Post here when you know

Members don't see this ad.

The NRMP comes down on SDN when specific programs are posted during match week. I have heard that there is a spreadsheet out there that is not affiliated or endorsed by SDN where this is discussed more openly. As your moderator I am neither confirming nor denying that, and direct links are not allowed from this thread. Feel free to discuss this topic this week without naming programs until it becomes publicly available.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It appears to be 21 unfilled program with 30 open spots total in SOAP. I'm surprised it's not higher, but I think after last year, programs knew this was coming and interviewed FMG/IMGs and any USMD with a pulse just to be safe. Despite these precautions, there were still 30 spots, wow...

Edit: It has been reported that there are 35 total unfilled spots, however not all are participating in SOAP, which is why 30 was originally reported.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To reiterate - do not name programs by name in this thread as it is a NRMP violation. Posts will be deleted and warnings handed out for those who break rules and put the risk of NRMP wrath on SDN.

Not nearly as much as people expected
Not nearly enough to give new grads in 5-6 years a decent shot at getting a job.
We tried to warn them, gang, Well, it's on them now. Good luck c/o 2025. Seriously, wishing you the best.

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
There does appear to be some MS4s who had a number of interviews who still did not match, so wonder what the final list will consist of.

22 programs not fully matched with 33 spots.
Will be interesting to see how many of the 33 spots fill in the SOAP.
This is only slightly up from 29 spots last year.

By Dr. Paul Harari, MD, FASTRO, ASTRO Board Chair
March 15 was Match Day, and medical students across the country opened envelopes to learn which medical center and specialty they matched with for their residency training. For the first time in many years, there was a gap in the number of matches for radiation oncology with 29 slots going unfilled.

No Reading between the lines here. When Paul h is providing dramatic graphics showing an increase in residents numbers and bringing up anti-trust concerns-wtf? For many medstudents, things will not be ok, just like we knew things wouldn’t be ok when every public health official on earth sounded alarm about virus in Jan.

in interest of evenhandness, maybe Astro should provide column for Drew m or Evan t to rebut him?
Would love to get perspective from someone who just matched, are they concerned with Paul’s perspective. Maybe he is over reacting? What made him change his sentiment- Undue influence of misanthropic sdn trolls vs events/reality?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
33 unfilled sounds like last year but remember the number of positions offered is lower (2019:207 spots, 2020: 189 spots) so the % unmatched is nearing 20%.

Reactions: 4 users
Right now the rad onc spread sheet is showing 22 unfilled programs with 35 open positions. Three of the programs (6 total spots) signed the will not SOAP without prior radiation oncology experience pledge.

I can tell you there are at least 3 gaslighting programs on Twitter trying to fill via SOAP

Strongly applaud those that signed the pledge and sticking to it

Members don't see this ad :)
I can tell you there are at least 3 gaslighting programs on Twitter trying to fill via SOAP

Strongly applaud those that signed the pledge and sticking to it
Can you name them? Is this against rules? At last name them on twitter

• Haha
Would've probably had a Corona vaccine by now if all those PhDs had not gone into radonc.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
I'd say one supposedly can't name a program that's in the SOAP (I know the embarrassment these places must feel, its best just not to let future applicants have that little bit of info) but if they are out there on Twitter trying to make moves those tweets are for sure in the public realm.

I'd say one supposedly can't name a program that's in the SOAP (I know the embarrassment these places must feel, its best just not to let future applicants have that little bit of info) but if they are out there on Twitter trying to make moves those tweets are for sure in public realm.

Yes, one can call out gaslighting programs on twitter

All the names are on the google doc

Some surprising places Imo

Could someone post link to google doc?

Google "reddit residency interview thread". We are not allowing direct links because people continue to call it the "student doctor spreadsheet", and it is in no way affiliated with SDN.

Last edited:
Could someone post link to google doc?

See above for the long answer.

Short answer, no.

We're not OK with having multiple folks try to pump out ****ty research by calling it the 'SDN spreadsheet' again. And don't want wrath of NRMP. and the google doc is pretty toxic at times. 3 birds, 1 stone.

Reactions: 4 users
See above for the long answer.

Short answer, no.

We're not OK with having multiple folks try to pump out ****ty research by calling it the 'SDN spreadsheet' again. And don't want wrath of NRMP. and the google doc is pretty toxic at times. 3 birds, 1 stone.

The authors of those SDN spreadsheet particles should be embarrassed of themselves

Not participating in SOAP: 3 slots

Thanks to those 3 programs, but weren't there more signers?:eyebrow:

No... the cop-out was any monkey who was interested in the field. Hence, anybody who applies is therefore interested in the field.

No... the cop-out was any monkey who was interested in the field. Hence, anybody who applies is therefore interested in the field.

How can they be interested if they’ve never heard of us?

It’s total BS. These piggies just need their scut done and the notes signed by the end of the day. That’s all

They behave so predictably it’s disgusting. These are the same piggies that would turn up their snout at no MD PhDs and now they’ll take you if you have a pulse.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 11 users
I am happy that I dual applied and ranked all of my medicine programs. This stuff is scary.

SOAP round 1
10 programs filled their slots (16 slots)
11 programs did not fill their slots (14 slots)
Not participating in SOAP: 3 slots

Man, was there ever an issue SDN has been more right on than this whole resident expansion fiasco?

“Voluntary retraction” working about as well as Spring break voluntary social distancing.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
That wierd PD from Mayo was all about "a step in the right direction..." yada yada. This field is at pathology level now.

Looks like the piggies got what they wanted. Fill their little spots and pretend like it means something.

Good news is no need to worry about board certification since it is worthless.

Good news is no need to worry about board certification since it is worthless.
At least for this time & moment there's true truth to this as ASTRO is saying any MD can supervise XRT. For now, just for "now." But I'm sure we will revert to board certification necessity tout de suite. Or not.

From the AAMC website about 2020 Match

"certain specialties showed significant increases in match rates last year for MD seniors: orthopedic surgery, neurological surgery, dermatology, plastic surgery, and radiation oncology."

• Haha
From the AAMC website about 2020 Match

"certain specialties showed significant increases in match rates last year for MD seniors: orthopedic surgery, neurological surgery, dermatology, plastic surgery, and radiation oncology."

I guess I overestimated the power of SDN
Underestimated the power of #radoncrocks
Overestimated the good will of programs/PD/chairs
Way underestimated the naivete of med students
Yeesh. I just feel dumb now.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Does it really matter? All spots would have filled. Will now just have a bunch of angry pgy5s in 5 years or whenever they realize they have been misled.

1584705414577.jpeg

188 spots filled this year, compared to 196 last year.

Most of the spots that didn't fill in the SOAP will probably still fill outside the SOAP. This is what happened to most of the unfilled spots last year. I have no proof, this is just based on personal observations and communications in my academic sphere.

• Angry