match violation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FirstAid

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, y'all. I've heard that it's against the match rules for a program to tell an applicant specifically where they are going to rank them on their rank list, but does this rule also apply for applicants as well? For example, are we not allowed to let a program know that we are ranking them #1 on our rank list (assuming that this program is really our #1 choice)? Thanks in advance.

FA

Members don't see this ad.

As I understand it the rule does not apply to us (at least I hope it doesn't b/c I told my #1 program they were my #1)

you can tell them whatever you want. this is part of the "match game" and programs can make overtures to you just as you can make overtures to them. no one puts those kinds of things in writing anyway... or they shouldn't. using vague statements with multiple interpretations like "you are my top choice" and "i'm ranking you highest" are always a safe bet, especially if you are going to make such statements in email or snail mail.

Members don't see this ad :)
As I recall, it is not against the rules for a program or applicant to TELL the other party how they will be ranked. I think it is against the rules for a party to ASK the other how they will be ranked.

Hey, thanks for the link! So, under the match communications section, its says:

"Although the Match Participation Agreement does not prohibit either an applicant or program director from volunteering how one plans to rank the other, it is a violation to request such information."

So, I guess you guys are right. According to this statement, we can inform the programs where we will rank them on our list, but we can't ask where we will be ranked.

By the way, is it fairly common for us applicants to inform our #1 program that we will rank them #1, usually in the thank you note?