Match Violation: Any follow up needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IR4thewin

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, earlier this week, I had an interview at a place I really liked. I seemed to get along well with the attendings, but then one of my interviewers asked me point blank if I was ranking them #1. Quite honestly I was shocked but still had to be in the moment and respond. I like this program and it will probably be in my top 5, and I would be happy to go there, but I am not ranking them number 1. In the moment, and because of this awkward situation, I told the attending that they were at the top of my list. I did not use the phrase #1, but I couldn't think of what else to say in a timely fashion without seeming like I was disinterested.

Does anyone see any major ramifications from this? obviously, they committed a violation, which I don't care that much about, I just don't want to get labeled with being 'that person' if they happen to rank me to match. I am certainly not presuming they will rank me to match with 100% certainty, but I have a few reasons to think that they might (sorry for the vagueness, trying to keep anonymity).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

So, earlier this week, I had an interview at a place I really liked. I seemed to get along well with the attendings, but then one of my interviewers asked me point blank if I was ranking them #1. Quite honestly I was shocked but still had to be in the moment and respond. I like this program and it will probably be in my top 5, and I would be happy to go there, but I am not ranking them number 1. In the moment, and because of this awkward situation, I told the attending that they were at the top of my list. I did not use the phrase #1, but I couldn't think of what else to say in a timely fashion without seeming like I was disinterested.

Does anyone see any major ramifications from this? obviously, they committed a violation, which I don't care that much about, I just don't want to get labeled with being 'that person' if they happen to rank me to match. I am certainly not presuming they will rank me to match with 100% certainty, but I have a few reasons to think that they might (sorry for the vagueness, trying to keep anonymity).

What do you mean by "being that person?"

Regardless, I don't see any significant ramifications. Any reasonable person could understand that many applicants need to take time to order their rank lists, including figuring out which program will be ranked number 1. In my mind, "top of the list" could mean anything from number 1 to top 50%, so I personally don't weigh that particular statement much.

If I were you, I would not worry, and from what information you gave, it seems you gave an honest but diplomatic answer which will not cause them to judge you negatively.

I would like to practice in the region later on and don't want to be remembered as a person that burned that program. I said what I could to keep my chances of matching there, but in his mind, He probably thinks I said I am ranking them number 1 based on the way the conversation flowed.

Overall, just a really weird experience and I now understand why they have these match rules.

Members don't see this ad :)
No one will know unless you decide to report them to the NRMP. The answer you gave didn't give anything away.

It definitely sounds like a violation. In your shoes, I would tend to think that I would have more to lose than to gain reporting this issue. Just go by your own preferences and don't worry about what a program will do.
I would simply chill out. Not worth losing sleep over it, not worth the trouble gained by reporting the issue.
Good luck.

I wouldn't report.

This happens frequently, more in other specialties.

Make your match list to reflect where you want to train and what will be best for you, programs most certainly do the same in the match process. No one is going to remember a single interviewee from 6 years prior at job hunt time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dude no offense but by that logic, literally every program committed a match violation. IR is new, and it's 6 years. A PD wants the first class to be as successful and happy as possible - so even if ranking the BEST candidates, it would help to get a gauge of how happy the candidate would be at that program (especially since there are a lot less "top" programs in IR/DR forcing candidates to apply broadly).

Your response was great. Don't be insecure about it.

These questions come up all the time, but none of us were there to gauge what was actually said. It'l be your word vs. theirs - you lose.