How do I match up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KansasCityKid

Reaction score
Hey guys, third year MD student from midwest applying this cycle trying to gauge competitiveness for DR programs.

Current Status: Rising M4
School: Average MD school
Step 1: 239
Step 2 CK: Currently studying.
Pre-Clinical: All S and HS (S/HS/H)
Clinical: This is my concern (S/HS/H): IM - S, OB - S, Psych - H, Surg - H, Peds - HS, FM - S, Neuro - HS.
AOA: No
Class rank: Not sure, likely 3/5 quintile.
Research: 4 nationally presented abstracts in a surgical subspecialty.
LORs: Letters should be fine (DR, IR, Surg, Peds).
ECs: Inner city food shelter, couple cool hobbies.

So my big concern is my lack of research in radiology, and my third year grades. Would really appreciate peoples opinions on my chances. Planning on applying pretty broadly

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What’s the general grade breakdown at your school?

I was thinking somewhere in the range of 70-80 DR programs, how does that number sound?

Seems reasonable depending on the program mix. I wouldn't put large blocks of programs you're not a good fit for in that 70-80. E.g. don't include all 30 of the top 30 programs and don't include a ton of West coast programs if you don't have a geographic tie.

Reactions: 1 users
Seems reasonable depending on the program mix. I wouldn't put large blocks of programs you're not a good fit for in that 70-80. E.g. don't include all 30 of the top 30 programs and don't include a ton of West coast programs if you don't have a geographic tie.

is there a website or something that ranks programs? Like I understand UCSF and Stanford are going to be top tier, but I don't know who else is considered top tier. Is there anything you recommend I do to improve my application this summer. I feel like my step 1 is fine for most places and my research is decent

I can also post the list of programs I have planned to apply for right now and you guys can suggest which places to add/remove and any overall tips, would really appreciate it

is there a website or something that ranks programs? Like I understand UCSF and Stanford are going to be top tier, but I don't know who else is considered top tier. Is there anything you recommend I do to improve my application this summer. I feel like my step 1 is fine for most places and my research is decent
Doximity is a good tool to check out what the "top tier" usually includes. Doximity starts being useless once you go past the 50-ish rank.

Overall, you're an average to below-average MD applicant. Apply broadly, and hope for the best. Unless you have significant ties, a great story, or networking connections, I wouldn't recommend sending in applications to the top 10 programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Doximity is a good tool to check out what the "top tier" usually includes. Doximity starts being useless once you go past the 50-ish rank.

Overall, you're an average to below-average MD applicant. Apply broadly, and hope for the best. Unless you have significant ties, a great story, or networking connections, I wouldn't recommend sending in applications to the top 10 programs.

If I apply broadly and smartly to 80ish programs is there a shot I don't match? I was under the impression I was pretty much fine and didn't have much to worry about. btw im not someone who is dead set on going to some academic powerhouse, I just want to go to a decent city that has a reputable program

Also, would me getting a radiology case-report accepted somewhere before applications go out make me a significantly stronger applicant or have minimal effect?

& thank you guys for your help, I literally have zero guidance at my school on this and our radiology department is almost non-existent

If I apply broadly and smartly to 80ish programs is there a shot I don't match? I was under the impression I was pretty much fine and didn't have much to worry about. btw im not someone who is dead set on going to some academic powerhouse, I just want to go to a decent city that has a reputable program

Yes. There is a chance you don't match. SDN is littered with stories of people of who didn't match XYZ for some reason or another. I agree with brownman23, you're an average to below average applicant based on what you've mentioned. You're probably still greater than 90+% likely to match. But that's not 100%.

From what stats you've listed, you're not going to an academic powerhouse. I'd try to fill up your list with state school programs in the midwest and south for the best value of clinical training to competitiveness. Fortunately, radiology is somewhat still small enough that most programs are in decently sized cities/population centers.

I think you need to do some more research than just looking for a "reputable program". Strongly suggest reading the sticky'ed "Radiology Faculty--Answering Questions/AMA" thread for what are pertinent things you should be looking for in a program.

The DR and Anesthesia matches have been getting more competitive the past few years, likely due to their perceptions as lifestyle-friendly specialties.

Applying to 80 programs is a great start! I wouldn’t cancel interviews until you get to more than 15 (and may be even 20) invites.

A case report isn’t gonna help much (since you already have 4 abstracts) but if you can do one easily…there’s no harm in it and you can only benefit.

I think 80 programs is overkill, especially if you want to stay in the midwest (and assuming you don't bomb step 2). I'd suggest 30 max if you want to stay midwest area. If you want to go elsewhere, i'd say 50-60 max.