Match Results, Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bleeker10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So where did everyone in the C/O 2013 match? I made the thread title vague so it can encompass all matches for our class, not just the DO match. I figure someone else will match an official school match list later when they are released.

I matched ortho in the military match. I was glad to see many of my friends getting their top choices for residency. Hopefully the rest who are in the allo match get good news as well.

Members don't see this ad.

So where did everyone in the C/O 2013 match? I made the thread title vague so it can encompass all matches for our class, not just the DO match. I figure someone else will match an official school match list later when they are released.

I matched ortho in the military match. I was glad to see many of my friends getting their top choices for residency. Hopefully the rest who are in the allo match get good news as well.

Congrats man, you've known for some time now! My class also has a lot of happy campers.

It's intriguing to me that there is no hyper-analysis of the match results published by the AOA yet this year. Last year brought quite the discussion...although I realize now how little those numbers mean.

BOOOOOOM! that's awesome man! congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys. I'm kind of surprised none of the other MS4's on here going through the DO match have posted anything, whether it be specialty and location or just that they did match.

Thanks guys. I'm kind of surprised none of the other MS4's on here going through the DO match have posted anything, whether it be specialty and location or just that they did match.

Yea, I know, its kind of weird. I didn't apply to any AOA programs.

http://www.natmatch.com/aoairp/stats/2013prgstats.html

Any reason why so many IM spots are open?

Also could anyone enlighten me on what type of comlex scores we need for IM?

Thanks!

A lot of people doing IM prefer to wait for the NRMP match.There are obviously applicants that feel AOA programs meet their educational/professional goals (>400) so it largely rests upon personal preference.

Average comlex scores will suffice, but it's more about the audition at DO programs than anything.

Last edited:
what doe the AOA do with all those open spots?
its not like they can get IMGs????

what doe the AOA do with all those open spots?
its not like they can get IMGs????

621 people failed to match this year. So a decent number of those slots will be filled up post scramble.

621 people failed to match this year. So a decent number of those slots will be filled up post scramble.

The squeeze is getting tighter. The unfortunate thing is that this number is going to go up every year from now on.

Congrats! We have a couple in our class so far that got an AOA ortho spot. I matched into ENT/Facial Plastics, so I'm pretty psyched :)

Members don't see this ad :)

The squeeze is getting tighter. The unfortunate thing is that this number is going to go up every year from now on.

Well that 621 might be a misleading statistic. If a person decides they mostly want ACGME but decides to throw in one rank for an AOA program, they will be part of that "non-match" group even though they preferred to go ACGME. I know a good amount of people who are doing exactly that. It seems most prevalent in those wanting to stay in a particular area. So they apply to all the MD programs and the one DO program in that area. If they don't match DO, they won't scramble because they are betting on the MD match. Since the stats don't delineate those who scrambled versus those who didn't, we can't say for sure if the increasing number of non-matched applicants from the previous years (606 in 2012, 571 in 2011, 423 in 2010) is from more competition/larger classes/more schools or more people putting apps into both matches rather than going all in on the NRMP match. We will have to wait for the NRMP match stats to be released to get a better idea.

I think it's a combo of larger applicant pools AND applicants doing both matches rather than hedging their bets on the NRMP match only. Another factor is applicants are also probably thinking that since the AOA residencies will be ACGME accredited in a couple years, they don't have to worry as much about their training and attaining fellowships from DO programs.

Congrats! We have a couple in our class so far that got an AOA ortho spot. I matched into ENT/Facial Plastics, so I'm pretty psyched :)

Congrats on getting ENT! That's a tough one to get into.

what would be the reasoning for unfilled spots in specialties such as Ortho and ENT? I would assume both of those had plenty more applicants than positions, yet both of those have unfilled positions (ENT with 4 and Ortho with 1).

what would be the reasoning for unfilled spots in specialties such as Ortho and ENT? I would assume both of those had plenty more applicants than positions, yet both of those have unfilled positions (ENT with 4 and Ortho with 1).

A very good question! A few of those ENT spots were at very coveted programs too. Nobody knows for sure but...

My personal guess is that the programs didn't rank enough people after offering their spot, were misled by the person they offered their spot to (i.e. matched to another program), and didn't fill. This happens to a few programs every year. Notice that those ENT programs filled instantaneously after the scramble begun :D.

It could be just that the program director ranked one or two people that they wanted, but those people went somewhere else. Or maybe the PD only wanted 1 person, even though they could have taken two.

Congrats man, that's a tough match!

I don't know if you a guys are able to see things like this when you login (I'm OMS III so not matching this year) but I was wondering if once you login if you can see what programs had open spots in certain specialties after the match? I am curious what EM slots went unfilled (2 of them it says) moreso in an effort to see who didn't fill this year when evaluating opportunities for next year (yeah, know it doesn't quite work like that but still interested).

I'm assuming military match?

No, I did civilian match. I am in the army national guard, and not HPSP, so I can only apply for a civilian residency.

I don't know if you a guys are able to see things like this when you login (I'm OMS III so not matching this year) but I was wondering if once you login if you can see what programs had open spots in certain specialties after the match? I am curious what EM slots went unfilled (2 of them it says) moreso in an effort to see who didn't fill this year when evaluating opportunities for next year (yeah, know it doesn't quite work like that but still interested).

Here's what you're looking for:

http://cf.osteopathic.org/aoapostmatch/students/index.cfm

1 question

if these people are under ""non-match"--- this means that they NEVER applied to AOA??

they were dead set on only acgme application?

i thought it was people that did AOA AND acgme

and bc they got ACGME they were "non matched" to AOA

1 question

if these people are under ""non-match"--- this means that they NEVER applied to AOA??

Non-matched means they applied ACGME and AOA. Non-participants means they applied ACGME only.

Last edited:
1 question

and bc they got ACGME they were "non matched" to AOA

My answer is a little different than bleekers.

Non-matched means they failed to match in the AOA match. These people either have to 1) scramble in the aoa match, 2) wait for the Acgme match

Non-participants, like myself, didn't enter the AOA match.

http://www.natmatch.com/aoairp/stats/2013sklstats.html

My answer is a little different than bleekers.

Non-matched means they failed to match in the AOA match. These people either have to 1) scramble in the aoa match, 2) wait for the Acgme match

Non-participants, like myself, didn't enter the AOA match.

http://www.natmatch.com/aoairp/stats/2013sklstats.html

My mistake. I meant non-participants when I said it was those who went ACGME only. Thanks for the correction.

All of you guys are amazing. Congratulations on the match! :thumbup:

but, but, its impossible for DOs to match in competitive specialties. :smuggrin:

Congrats guys!

but, but, its impossible for DOs to match in competitive specialties. :smuggrin:

Congrats guys!

Well the AOA does have almost all of the competitive specialties, minus a few like rad onc. So it's not that impossible since only DOs can apply to them

I'm not sure. I attempted a search but nothing turned up.

This was just emailed to the students and faculty by our Dean, so it should answer the question on behalf of RVUCOM:

Dear Faculty, Staff, and Student Doctors,

I wanted to provide an update on the current status of the match. We are still awaiting the MD match in March (over 60+ students in that match), but here is where we are to date, with the combined DO match and the military match

2013 MATCH OSTEOPATHIC / MILITARY RESULTS BY DISCIPLINE, NUMBER MATCHED AND RESIDENCY LOCATION

DISCIPLINE MATCHED RESIDENCY LOCATION
ANESTHESIOLOGY 3 Riverside County Regional, Moreno Valley, CA
McLaren-Greater Lansing, Lansing, MI
Brooke Army Medical Center, San Antonio, TX

DIAGNOSTIC RADIOLOGY 2 McLaren-Oakland, Pontiac, MI
Tripler Army Medical Center, Honolulu, HI

EMERGENCY MEDICINE 11 St. Barnabas Hospital, Bronx, NY
Botsford Hospital, Farmington Hills, MI
St. Barnabas Hospital, Bronx, NY
Oklahoma State University Medical Center LECOM/UPMCE Hamot, Erie, PA
Botsford Hospital, Farmington Hills, MI
Henry Ford Wyandotte Hospital, Wyandotte, MI
St. John Providence, Warren, MI
UMDNJSOM, Vineland, NJ

FAMILY MEDICINE 15 Valley Hospital Medical Center, Las Vegas, NV
Blessing Health System, Quincy, IL
Detroit Wayne County Health, Detroit, MI
Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI
Sierra Vista Regional Health, Sierra Vista, AZ
VCOM/Riverside Regional Medical Center, Newport News, VA
Lakeside Medical Center, Belle Glade, FL
Maine-Dartmouth FM Residency, Augusta, ME
Maine-Dartmouth FM Residency, Augusta, ME
Largo Medical Center, Largo, FL
Darnall Army Medical Center, Ft. Hood, TX
Nellis Air Force Base, Las Vegas, NV
Naval Hospital Bremerton, Bremerton, WA
Naval Hospital Camp Lejeune, Camp Lejeune, NC
Naval Hospital Camp Lejeune, Camp Lejeune, NC

GENERAL SURGERY 10 Wycoff Heights Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY
Doctors Hospital, Columbus, OH
Mercy Medical Center, Des Moines, IA
South Pointe Hospital, Warrensville Heights, OH
Tripler Army Medical Center, Honolulu, HI
General Surgery Continued William Beaumont Army Medical Hospital, El Paso, TX
Travis Air Force Base/UC Davis Medical Center, Travis AFB, CA
Naval Medical Center, Portsmouth, VA

ORTHOPEDIC SURGERY 5 Summa Western Reserve Hospital, Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Plainview Hospital, Plainview, NY
Plainview Hospital, Plainview, NY
Des Peres Hospital, St. Louis, MO
St. Mary's Hospital Blue Springs, Blue Springs, MO

INTERNAL MEDICINE 20 RVUCOM/Sky Ridge Medical Center, Parker, CO
Parkview Medical Center, Pueblo, CO
Grandview Hospital & Medical Center, Dayton, OH
RVUCOM/Sky Ridge Medical Center, Parker, CO
Danville Regional Medical Center, Danville, VA
Swedish Covenant Hospital, Chicago, IL
Valley Hospital Medical Center, Las Vegas, NV
Sierra Vista Regional Health, Sierra Vista, AZ
Northside Hospital & Heart Institute, St. Petersberg, FL
Genesys Regional Medical-Health Park, Grand Blanc, MI
San Antonio Uniformed Services Health Education Consortium

IM/EMERGENCY MEDICINE 1 Aria Health Systems, Philadelphia, PA

OBSTETRICS/GYNECOLOGY 8 McLaren-Greater Lansing, Lansing, MI
Henry Ford Macomb Hospitals, Clinton Township, MI
St. John Providence Health System, Warren, MI
Mercy Health Partners, Muskegon, MI
St. Joseph Mercy-Oakland, Pontiac, MI
Good Samaritan Hospital, West Islip, NY
South Jersey Healthcare, Vineland, NJ
Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, MD

OPHTHALMOLOGY 1 Henry Ford Hospital - Wayne State University, Detroit, MI

PATHOLOGY 1 San Antonio Uniformed Services Health Education Consortium

PEDIATRICS 4 OMECO Teaching Health Center, Tulsa, OK
Madigan Army Medical Hospital, Fort Lewis, WA

TRADITIONAL 5 Lankenau Medical Center, Wynnewood, PA
Samaritan Regional Medical Center, Corvallis, OR
Palisades Medical Center, N. Bergen, NJ
St. Anthony Hospital, Oklahoma City, OK

That seems totally respectable if that's the complete list (minus the Acgme peeps)

Nice.

Optho competitiveness may be coming down because of the decreased pay / mediocre job market.

Ophtho was very competitive this year. I know it had the highest average board score in the military match and was about as competitive as it has been in the SF match..the board score avg (239) was the highest it's ever been. We'll never know how competitive the DO Ophtho spots were statistically speaking, but everyone in my class whom I know matched had 700+

And bravo to RVU! Very respectable so far.

Ophtho was very competitive this year. I know it had the highest average board score in the military match

Actually this is not true. In the Army match, many other specialties (urology, derm, neurosurg, ortho) had higher step 1 and 2 scores.