Masters Finance then MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dareball

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently an undergrad student and am planning to graduate a year early so I can enroll in a Masters of Finance program before medical school. The program would only last one year, replacing my senior year of college, and allow me to enter medical school with a masters and B.A. in business administration so I wouldn't have to be duel enrolled through medical school. I was wondering what type of positions if any would it be beneficial to do this, and to what extent these degrees would broaden my choice of career paths, while allowing at least moderate use of both areas of knowledge. I plan on being an orthopedic surgeon one day and opening my own practice. Obviously I would not be running the financial affairs of the practice while still operating and practicing. To what extent could I use such a combination of degrees if somewhere down the road I was to move away from practicing and more towards administration?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Dareball said:
I am currently an undergrad student and am planning to graduate a year early so I can enroll in a Masters of Finance program before medical school. The program would only last one year, replacing my senior year of college, and allow me to enter medical school with a masters and B.A. in business administration so I wouldn't have to be duel enrolled through medical school. I was wondering what type of positions if any would it be beneficial to do this, and to what extent these degrees would broaden my choice of career paths, while allowing at least moderate use of both areas of knowledge. I plan on being an orthopedic surgeon one day and opening my own practice. Obviously I would not be running the financial affairs of the practice while still operating and practicing. To what extent could I use such a combination of degrees if somewhere down the road I was to move away from practicing and more towards administration?

Thanks

I question the logic of getting a Masters in Finance. I don't think the degree would be that beneficial for you especially considering you want to do ortho (which, by my calculations, you would be done, at a minimum in the year 2015!) and you would not run the finances of a practice and might do administration. All of these scream MBA to me, however, you have a BBA which is just as good for a physician. Now, if you wanted to go into healthcare VC or iBanking, I could see it, but not for the path you've described.

Are you getting the extra degree simply because you can?

I would encourage working more than anything. Go out there and get some good business experience and enjoy life before medical school. I think you'll get more out of that.

Dareball said:
I plan on being an orthopedic surgeon one day and opening my own practice. Obviously I would not be running the financial affairs of the practice while still operating and practicing. To what extent could I use such a combination of degrees if somewhere down the road I was to move away from practicing and more towards administration?

Thanks

some MD schools offer courses/electives on business and medicine. if you are not that interested in the financial aspect of medicine but in being an orthopod then it getting an MBA might not be that useful. if you are passionate about that stuff go for it!!! however, an MBA would not likely enhance your chances of acceptance that greatly. it might actually make you tired and "sick of work/school" by the time you are a MS1... it's more of what you want to do no matter what :oops:)

Members don't see this ad :)
dr. deez said:
some MD schools offer courses/electives on business and medicine. if you are not that interested in the financial aspect of medicine but in being an orthopod then it getting an MBA might not be that useful. if you are passionate about that stuff go for it!!! however, an MBA would not likely enhance your chances of acceptance that greatly. it might actually make you tired and "sick of work/school" by the time you are a MS1... it's more of what you want to do no matter what :oops:)

As I read Dareball's original message, he was asking about broadening his career paths, not his ability to get into med school, correct?

mward04 said:
As I read Dareball's original message, he was asking about broadening his career paths, not his ability to get into med school, correct?

Yes, I would enter this program to broaden my choice of career paths mostly in the long term. Also I would like to start a scholarship fund and invest in real estate extensively, or another investment type in order to aquire the resources for such a fund.