Medical student doing a finance summer internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irish.medic237

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a medical student in Ireland in my 3rd year of a six year medical programme. I won't lie I'm no longer sure if medicine is for me, when in school I loved business and everything to do with the world of finance and I loved biology and everything about the human body and how it worked in general. I had a tough decision when applying for college but eventually decided on medicine. Now I'm not so sure I made the right decision. I have several questions:
1. Would it be absolutely unheard of for medical students to apply and gain a place on an investment banking or consulting summer internship?
2. Does anyone have any experience they could share with me of this?
3. As I am an undergraduate student would I apply for a summer analyst or associate programme?
4. Which summer should I apply to do it in?
I'd just like to thank you all in advance for your help

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm a medical student in Ireland in my 3rd year of a six year medical programme. I won't lie I'm no longer sure if medicine is for me, when in school I loved business and everything to do with the world of finance and I loved biology and everything about the human body and how it worked in general. I had a tough decision when applying for college but eventually decided on medicine. Now I'm not so sure I made the right decision. I have several questions:
1. Would it be absolutely unheard of for medical students to apply and gain a place on an investment banking or consulting summer internship?
2. Does anyone have any experience they could share with me of this?
3. As I am an undergraduate student would I apply for a summer analyst or associate programme?
4. Which summer should I apply to do it in?
I'd just like to thank you all in advance for your help

1. No, it isn't unheard of. Although, it will be difficult to gain an internship in finance without any previous, related coursework and/or experience. Consulting may be a better route if so; off the top of my head, McKinsey and Deloitte have internship programs for medical students.

2. I do; I received an interview invitation for a consulting internship in the pharmaceutical industry at a company similar to http://strategiatx.com/about-us/overview/ through my graduate coursework/research and networking this week.

3. You'd most likely apply for a Summer position.

4. Any Summer is probably fine.

So, based on my experience, if I were you I'd apply for an internship at a local pharmaceutical company like Jazz Pharmaceuticals in something financially/business related. I say so since it looks like Jazz does their financial work in Dublin and Palo Alto https://www.jazzpharma.com/careers/open-positions/ (ref. the types of regional positions they're hiring for), and they're a reputable, large company. IMO, it would also be a good idea to finish medical school, but pursue complementary education and/or training during or afterward (e.g. something with an industry component in your area of interest). The UK would be a good place to consider due to the Brexit among other positives; feel free to PM me if you want any additional advice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey,
Thank you so much for your response! I've been thinking about this for a while and was just hoping to get someone else's opinion!

1. I have some finance experience, in part of a Student Managed Fund at my college and essentially we have been thought how and when to invest and grown the fund quite well! A lot of the original instructors are from BBs located in Ireland! Would this county do you think as enough experience to make up for my lack of a financial/business based degree or course work?

2.Sorry I meant should I apply as a summer analyst or summer associate? Analysts are generally undergrads but my degree is equivalent to a US MD so I'm unsure which programme I'd qualify for?

3. Would it be worth practicing for a few years doing my basic medical training (1 year intern + 2 years basic speciality training) then applying for an MBA I'd be 27 starting the 2 year course and applying to Bulge bracket firms then? I'd only be a year older than the normal associate?

Thanks again for asking hopefully I'm not annoying you