Mass Killing Theater

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll try to find time to reply to the rest of your post, but I did want to make two quick comments:

Not at all. Death Penalty is constitutional. Firmly. Totally. I just want, less than death. How could that be more cruel or unusual? Let's make it USUAL. :cool:

I may have missed it, but I don't think anyone here has argued that the death penalty is cruel or unusual.

I oppose it not because of its cruelty (I actually think it's more humane than life in prison), but because
- It's permanent and leaves no possibility to correct false convictions. Look at how many people have been exonerated many years later by new evidence, or old evidence that is re-examined.
- It's more expensive than life in prison without parole. Capital trials and their appeals take many, many years and are incredibly expensive.

These are ethical and practical objections concerning innocent people and cost. My objections to the death penalty do not stem from cruelty concerns.

To be clear: I think the death penalty is stupid and counterproductive, not unconstitutional.

And for all your bluster and talk about gun owners ... you're the one who is openly advocating torturing people to death.

pgg said:
Just out of curiosity: would you be so kind as to explain your understanding of the process by which a US citizen can buy a machine gun today (say, a full auto / select fire AR-15), whether or not there's a waiting period, and the rough cost?

I'm proud to say I've never attempted to purchase an AR-15, or even a Glock, that's about to change. When I need to I'll look it up, I've already started. I IMAGINE, there is a background check, waiting period, record keeping and transmitting to the appropriate agencies. What's your point? It's a broken system, let's fix it. That's my point.

And this, in a nutshell, is exactly the problem.

You have very strong opinions on subjects you know absolutely nothing about.

You're ranting about banning machine guns, when the fact is, they're already restricted to an incredible degree. Let me explain.

Machine guns require registration and an ATF tax stamp like other weapons regulated by the National Firearms Act ... but are unique in that the 1986 Hughes amendment banned the registration of new guns. Consequently, there has been a FIXED number of legal machine guns in the United States for nearly three decades now.

To buy a select fire AR-15 (or any other machine gun), this is what you need to do.

1) Live in a state where they aren't banned outright.

2) Find one for sale. They are collector's items and the market is very, very small.

3) Pay for it. These days a legal, transferrable AR-15 will cost somewhere between $15-25,000. Fifteen to twenty-five thousand dollars. Constant/shrinking supply + increasing demand ... I'm sure you understand what that does to prices.

4) Undergo an extensive ATF background check. Regardless of how many other guns you already own, this process must be started at step 1.

{edit to add}
4b) Get written permission from the chief law enforcement officer in your area, who may subjectively choose not to sign your paperwork, without due process of any kind. He can say 'no' for no other reason than he doesn't feel like saying 'yes'. Alternatively, spend the time and money to form a legal trust.
{/edit}

5) Wait for the ATF to process the paperwork. Roughly 6-8 months these days.

Or, if you're a criminal, spend a few minutes with a file in your garage (which may require no skill, or a lot of skill, depending on the specific weapon).

You have this silly idea - it'd be kind of cute, actually, if it wasn't so misguided - that machineguns are easy to obtain. They're not. They're prohibitively expensive, except for rich people. There's an incredibly long (many months) waiting period to buy one. They're very rare.

But still, you want more laws, more regulation on them.

I haven't even touched on the argument that the artificially raised cost is a deliberate, racist, and classist move to prevent poor minorities from owning this type of gun.

You summarily dismissed what I wrote about the California high-capacity magazine bans with a, 'oh, that doesn't work only because OTHER states aren't doing the same' ... yet you seem ignorant of the decade-long federal assault weapon ban from 1994 - 2004 (which also included magazine size restrictions) and how it utterly failed to decrease the number of guns being used in crimes.

What you don't seem to get is that the kind of gun control you're proposing has been tried, in this country and in others. It has universally failed to reduce violence and crime, not because the laws weren't written just right - but because the entire concept of restricting, registering, crippling, or banning guns is fundamentally flawed.

One of the things that's the most frustrating about talking to people like you is that you rail on and on about the need for more laws, more regulation, more restriction - and you don't have the first clue about existing laws.

How can any of us possibly take you seriously when you're proposing a road map for the future, and you don't even know where we are now?

Few people are as dangerously misguided as those who have strong opinions about subjects they know nothing about.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
:highfive::highfive::D to D712

Sad to say, you are in the VAST MINORITY on this forum even though you make perfect sense. You are a great debator by the way. Something I am not.

Sad to say though that you aren't going to convince these NRA supporters who feel the need to stock up for Armageddon. You know, it's not Guns that kill people, it's People that kill people argument. But kuddos for trying and making logical sense out of all this.

Now gotta get back to studying for boards.:love:

Sad to say, you are in the VAST MINORITY on this forum even though you make perfect sense. You are a great debator by the way. Something I am not.

Sad to say though that you aren't going to convince these NRA supporters who feel the need to stock up for Armageddon. You know, it's not Guns that kill people, it's People that kill people argument. But kuddos for trying and making logical sense out of all this.

To you and D712;

Show me evidence that strict gun control decreases violent crime and we'll talk.

Members don't see this ad :)
gun control folks will say access is the problem

nra folks will say if carry laws were more lax the guy would have been shot by the time he killed the third person

whos right? who knows?

but I do know state endorsed violence has NEVER been a good idea. let ole james holmes get it every day from big jerome while hes in the clink...dont stone him and put him out of misery.

Unless someone in the audience was carrying an RPG, this guy wasn't going down.

Short of a shot to the gas mask, a concealed weapon wouldn't have done much at all.

And to the person who was saying he wasn't expecting anyone to fire back at him so a CCW would have ended things... Are you f***ing kidding me? He was prepared to hold off a swarm of police officers, a yokel with a concealed handgun wouldn't have done much except get himself (and probably a few more bystanders) killed.

Most of his arguments were emotional, and as pgg pointed out, he knows not of what he speaks. He has done nothing other than spew idealistic crap that doesn't hold in the real world. That is the definition of a poor debater.

As a LEO I am anti-prohibition laws in general (ironically before/during academy I shared many of the same views as D712) as, in the real world, they do nothing to reduce crime. Criminals will still get guns, you can limit anything you want, they will find a way around it. D712 you said pgg's drug argument was a poor comparison, it wasn't, it is the nature of almost anything you try to regulate. Look at how many drugs we confiscate on a daily basis, how much do you think that affects the local supply or availability of drugs? Hint, it doesn't. Not even one iota. Guns are the same. You can confiscate and limit all you want, the only thing that is going to happen is that fewer law abiding citizens are going to have them, it won't affect the criminals at all, they won't even notice or care.

but I do know state endorsed violence has NEVER been a good idea. let ole james holmes get it every day from big jerome while hes in the clink...dont stone him and put him out of misery.

that's a thought...

I didn't mean to sidestep, was just replying quickly after an insanely long post. :)

You're sidestepping my point a bit.
1. The ATF was originally tasked with moonshine (if memory serves), then took on the task of illegal firearms and tobacco tax evasion. There are many that would argue the ATF is the true Gestapo in Federal Law Enforcement, but I don't particularly care to engage in that discussion. The fact of the matter is, there are many illegal guns out there and the ATF is doing their best to try and snag as many as they can, but I'd bet you our next paycheck that if you took a random sample of ATF agents and asked them if they could ever get all illegal guns off the street, they'd laugh.
I get that you don't think the ATF is a worthwhile organization. I don't know what to say about that, other than...I don't know what to say to that. I also think it's moot what their original mandate was. PGG, you would like to see ATF's resources put elsewhere? Hahahaha. I also don't think it's relevant to the discussion about getting all the illegal guns off the streets. "As many as we can" is fine for me.

Honestly though, I do think the ATF is a bit of a waste of money,
I understand that, but understand that they will be one of the lead FED agencies involved in Holmes and have taken MANY MANY bad people off the streets, and guns. They are a fine organization.

and their function is redundant to local law enforcement,
???? Federal Laws...?

who tend to have an exponentially higher level of awareness of illegal activities in their area than any federal agency.
Not the crimes that break federal laws... ;)

2. Programs are initiated nationwide and quite frequently to get illegal guns off the street in exchange for cash, prizes, etc, and yet there are still illegal guns on the street. Once again, law-abiding citizens follow gun laws, not criminals.
IT's PGG's logic, that the number of guns absolutely doesn't matter. Ok, let's change the TYPES of guns. That matter in the movie theater? THEN, PGG goes onto say he has the Constitutional Right per Madison's personal wishes, to have a 100 clip holder for an AR. That's where PGG loses me. Actually, he loses me WAY before that.

3. One simply needs to look at countries with strict gun laws to find out that there is still senseless gun violence perpetuated by criminals.

America is unique, for good and bad. We don't elect Brazilian Presidents here, Swedish Officials, we don't have hillside Favelas or 99% farmland, we are America. Home to 100 clip mags like the Iranians. YAY America!!!!

4. It is not an invalid argument to suggest that taking away guns doesn't stop mass murder.
Wait, double negative... wait, quadruple negative... rephrase please.

The dude booby trapped his apartment with chemicals and incendiary devices. Lets take your idealistic utopia where guns don't even exist, this guy would have simply taken in other weapons of mass destruction, crafted chemically, and been able to kill just as many, if not more.
First off, and this is a KEY POINT: I am NOT STATING GUNS SHOULD GO AWAY. That needs to be perfectly clear. I think there needs to be a reasonable limit on the 2nd Amendment. To keep the PGGs and the D712s in a good zone. Utopia? No guns? Huh. I never ever ever said that. I'm going to buy a weapon within a month (proud pgg)? For self protection. Holmes wanted to kill as many as possible and he chose weapons that PGG says are legal in order to protect him and me and you from the big bad oppressing G. If Holmes wanted to explode a bomb and kill his neighbors as THE method, I'm sure he could have found a Timex hook up to his front door or cell phone. His METHOD of massacring WHILE ALIVE: Excessive Weaponry. Period.

5. As long as there are legal guns on the street, there are the potential for illegal guns on the street. Unless you are proposing and supporting that the government has the right to confiscate all legal firearms, then there is still the potential for those weapons to be stolen (by criminals)
Understood. I want to limit the potential as much as possible and certainly more than Washington is willing to do now.

Given the above, I much prefer my right to carry my own legally obtained firearm so that I may protect myself and my family from criminals and their firearms.
As you should!!!!

D712

Sad to say, you are in the VAST MINORITY on this forum
I know, totally sucks.

even though you make perfect sense.
:love:

You are a great debator by the way.
:D

Sad to say though that you aren't going to convince these NRA supporters who feel the need to stock up for Armageddon.
Crazies.

You know, it's not Guns that kill people, it's People that kill people argument. But kuddos for trying and making logical sense out of all this.
:thumbup:

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!! :luck:

D712

Enough evidence and historical fact supports that. What's your point?
That the population requires 100 round clips for the people of the US to be as strong as their G?
No really, can you answer that? Can you take it a step further and suggest that US CITIZENS should
have the rights and legal status to PURCHASE AND USE:

1) F-15s (how FUN would that be!!!!!)
2) Tanks
3) Those cool choppers that they used in Red Dawn, name escaping me right now. Bullets included. Jennifer Grey not included.
4) RPGs

Have is OCCURRED TO YOU Professor, that your argument holds NO WATER. Firstly, if you think the US citizen needs 100 round clips in order to keep equally armed with our G, you need to step away from your Anesthesia cart and stop sniffing the Glue. Like throwing a hot dog down a hallway. And second, today, that US living document could not POSSSSSSSSSSIBLY provide for 1-4 that I just listed, without an ALL OUT LIVE ACTION VERSION of CALL OF DUTY. So, there goes your argument in BOTH directions. So, limit the fuc king 100 round mags legally. According to your logic, if a US CITIZEN CANNOT FLY AND ARM an F-15, then I raise you and say, add in AUTOMATIC GUNS and EXCESSIVE CLIPS. Let SCOTUS take a look, see if they can stamp it, Baby Steps.
I've presented this as the "rocket launcher" argument to a number of people in the gun control discussion since Aurora, and I'm legitimately interested in hearing a response. Interestingly, my premise thus far has simply been that if criminals will go to whatever extent necessary to acquire weapons, why is any sort of weapon banned? pgg presented an even better premise, in placing the Second Amendment in the context of civilian armament vs government armament.

chocomorsel and doctor712, you two emotionally illogical lovebirds, it must upset you to no end to observe this nationwide trend:

Rtc.gif

;)

I may have missed it, but I don't think anyone here has argued that the death penalty is cruel or unusual.
That was my assumption, that you based death penalty opposition on the cruel factor. My bad.

I oppose it not because of its cruelty (I actually think it's more humane than life in prison)
Is this based upon an experiential evidence? :D

- It's permanent and leaves no possibility to correct false convictions.
That's the only argument that makes sense... BUT, in cases of RED-HANDED TACIT - "JOKER"
ADMISSIONS - is there any doubt here? Try em, convict em, beat the **** outta him.

- It's more expensive than life in prison without parole.
you know what else is pricey? Keeping a man alive and medically well for 80 years.
Just thinking out loud.

Capital trials and their appeals take many, many years and are incredibly expensive.
So does keeping someone alive for 80 years.

And for all your bluster and talk about gun owners ... you're the one who is openly advocating torturing people to death.
Yes. I am. But stop dilly dallying, gun owners have rights, 100 round clips needs to not be one. I'm not sure how more explicit I can be about that.

You have very strong opinions on subjects you know absolutely nothing about.
What part? The Madisonian Constitutional part that you COMPLETELY avoided in your reply, or the
part where I think magazines with more bullets kill more people? Enlighten me.

You're ranting about banning machine guns, when the fact is, they're already restricted to an incredible degree. Let me explain.
To a degree.

Consequently, there has been a FIXED number of legal machine guns in the United States for nearly three decades now.
Horse****. They come in tunnels with coke and crack through mexico and boats through Cuba with organs/tissues taken from 3rd world patients after death to be implanted in the teeth of meth junkies when they get implants.

To buy a select fire AR-15 (or any other machine gun), this is what you need to do.
1) Live in a state where they aren't banned outright.
I would like for all states to ban them outright, clear.

3) Pay for it. These days a legal, transferrable AR-15 will cost somewhere between $15-25,000
Irrelevant. See Mr. Holmes.

4) Undergo an extensive ATF background check.
How extensive? Genuine question. Is it the NCIC check I had to go through to get a COE from ATF? If not, it should be.
If it is, good. Add more layers.

Regardless of how many other guns you already own, this process must be started at step 1.

5) Wait for the ATF to process the paperwork. Roughly 6-8 months these days.
So what.

Or, if you're a criminal, spend a few minutes with a file in your garage (which may require no skill, or a lot of skill, depending on the specific weapon).
Ahh, the real problem. The file in the garage.

Question for you: where did Holmes get his 100 bullet drum?

You have this silly idea - it'd be kind of cute, actually, if it wasn't so misguided - that machineguns are easy to obtain.
Absolutely not. They are simply TOO easy to obtain. Clear? Good.

They're not. They're prohibitively expensive, except for rich people.
I present to you, Mr. Holmes. The non-rich STUDENT living in the brick and mortar apartment rental in Colorado...

There's an incredibly long (many months) waiting period to buy one. They're very rare.
Not rare enough. And that's nonsense. I know 1/2 dozen people with AK's. They're easy as **** to get.
I could go out and shoot one tomorrow.

I haven't even touched on the argument that the artificially raised cost is a deliberate, racist, and classist move to prevent poor minorities from owning this type of gun.
I haven't even THOUGHT of race while writing my posts, you should know that. Also, you wanna talk racists and classists. PGG meet the Founders. Founders, meet PGG. (them, not you).

You summarily dismissed what I wrote about the California high-capacity magazine bans with a, 'oh, that doesn't work only because OTHER states aren't doing the same' ... yet you seem ignorant of the decade-long federal assault weapon ban from 1994 - 2004 (which also included magazine size restrictions) and how it utterly failed to decrease the number of guns being used in crimes.
I'm ignorant of the Federal Ban, the one I mentioned with the reference to Bubba and the NRA? Is that the ban I don't know anything about. 10 years. that's all we get to show it's a pass or fail initiative. PGG, please.

What you don't seem to get is that the kind of gun control you're proposing has been tried, in this country and in others.
Needs to be perfected. Given a real try. Better crackdown, laws, GOTO THE GUN LOBBY and RESTRICT DONATIONS from all, AND DECREASE MANUFACTURING in US non SIDE ARMS, and PUNISH IMPORTERS as if it were CRACK COCAINE. That's a START.

It has universally failed to reduce violence and crime, not because the laws weren't written just right - but because the entire concept of restricting, registering, crippling, or banning guns is fundamentally flawed.
Today's society has it perfect, I know.

One of the things that's the most frustrating about talking to people like you is that you rail on and on about the need for more laws, more regulation, more restriction - and you don't have the first clue about existing laws.
Like the Bubba ban I mentioned? Yeah, we who want SIDEARMS and not AKs are horrible people to debate. So uninformed. Hey, how's your History reading going this weekend PGG? Catching up on the Federal Convention much?

How can any of us possibly take you seriously when you're proposing a road map for the future, and you don't even know where we are now?
Because I can't cite California State Laws? Where have I shown that I don't know "where we are now"? I asked you nicely once, PLEASE, step away from the Narcs dude. Here's where we are now:

drudgereport.com

Clear enough? Good.

Few people are as dangerously misguided as those who have strong opinions about subjects they know nothing about.
I agree. That's why I suggested you enroll in some basic Political Science courses before even going NEAR a CONSTITUTIONAL ARGUMENT with me.
I see you've at least heeded some common sense in replying therein.

Me, I think you're probably a cool guy who likes to engage in polemics much like I, otherwise we'd probably not even be typing at this point, but I could not vehemently oppose your thinking any more. AT LEAST, I'm the guy bending and saying "gun ownership is a right, I want to buy a gun, I will buy a gun," but CHANGES ARE NEEDED TO THE GUN OWNING LANDSCAPE in the US. 100 round drums, AKs, grenades, whatever -- we need to throw more of a solution at it.

D712

chocomorsel and doctor712, you two emotionally illogical lovebirds, it must upset you to no end to observe this nationwide trend:
Rtc.gif

;)

I love you god-fearing nut jobs Pgg, always good for a news-bite spin that has NOTHING to do with reality.

As stated, I believe in the Right to Own guns. I believe in CCW. I believe in all that.

What I don't believe in is:

(INSERT IMAGE OF HOLMES OR AN AR-15 OR A 100 ROUND DRUM HERE).

(don't have patience to actually do this now.)

The Holmes' will always be there, make it harder for them to kill. That's all. SImple request.

Please address the points you skipped PGG, I'm curious. Save the maps for bed time reading, they mean nothing.

Tell me how a 100 round drum didn't HELP this guy's mission, and TELL ME why it should REMAIN CONSTITUTIONAL. Oh wait, forget the latter, you cannot.

Packing boxes and moving to CO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D712

Members don't see this ad :)
Fractured posts are difficult to reply to on an iPhone, sorry if I miss something.

First, the quad negative was meant to say that people often disregard the argument that getting rid of guns gets rid of mass killings, I think it was already mentioned in this thread. I just wanted to point out that it's a valid argument.. May have been a bit of a tangent and it was poorly worded, sorry.

Second, the whole theory of banning high capacity magazines is just as flawed as banning guns, maybe even moreso.. Bad guys will always have access to high capacity magazines, the only ones prevented from having them are the good guys. I'd much rather have the legal citizen who's willing to stand in the fold have as much or more ammo than the bad guy. Again evidence suggests that such bans are ineffective, simply look at California.

As for the ATF,

They MAY be involved in the explosives (a task I forgot to mention earlier), but again this is redundant to the state fire marshals office which will most likely take the lead. The ATF will have little else to do with any of the rest of this case.

Most federal firearms laws are also state firearms laws as well. Those that aren't could simply be rewritten into state code and the problem is solved. Aside from that, the vast majority of firearms crimes are charged at the local level anyhow with no involvement of the ATF. The only exception I can think of is interstate sales of firearms, which is honestly absurd anyways. Why is it legal for me to buy a firearm in an Ohio gun store but a federal felony with a mandatory 10 year sentence for me to drive to a gun store in Kentucky and buy a gun? Never understood that one..

Anyhow, yes the ATF is redundant to local LE and local fire investigators.

Let the record show that in addition to wanting to torture people to death, doctor712 is also OK with extrajudicial punishment involving beatings and rape in prison.

And you have the gall to claim some sort of moral high ground.

You and your anti-government wack jobs would be a real HIT in Arvada today.
Or Columbine yesterday. Or Va Tech. They'd love u there. I wonder what you would say if you ever met mr Sullivan in Arvada who is going to bury his son this week.
A little anal never killed anyone. I'm sure Holmes would take it like a good boy.

My viewpoint clear enough for you Professor?

Your ideals are fine in cozy quiet PGG TOWN. if u were a parent in Arvada you'd rape Holmes yourself. Or pick from one of your 383 guns and shoot him. Youre disconnected from reality. In it for yourself. Wanna battle the very GOVERNMENT u signed up for, and quote as a right to bear arms. Nutjob.

And reply to some specifics in my post. If you can drag yourself off Wikipdia's Constitution pages.

Let it be known that PGG doesn't know a frigging thing about the constitution he hides behind and studies fed and state laws only long enough to serve himself. That vs giving Holmes anal. No brainer. Live in your happy little "they should serve life for killing kids because it's cheaper" world. Or extract your head from the sand and 1791 accordingly.

D712

My post was not about gun control. It is possible to defeat someone in a tight space who is heavily armed as long as you have proper training and a high level of aggression. No guarantee of success, though.

EDIT: Doctor712. If there was a line - you crossed it. Take a few moments to calm down.

Really? You wish you had been there with a pistol up against a psycho with an assault rifle, a shotgun, and 2 handguns wearing body armor? C'mon.

It is what it is. If this guy didn't have access to guns, it would have been explosives, or gas, or something else. Granted, gun terror might be a little bit easier to plan and pull off, but if someone is determined to wreak random acts of violence, it's going to be hard to stop regardless.

Last edited:
You and your anti-government wack jobs

That's me all right, anti-government, workin' my government job, taking care of government employees, doing the government's work, cashing a government paycheck. :rolleyes:

Government does some great things. Some things, the government screws up. Some things, the government shouldn't be involved in.

I know you have trouble retaining details from our previous conversations. Case in point ...

I love you god-fearing nut jobs Pgg
I'm an atheist, of course. I don't think we've had quite as many religion threads as gun threads :D but we've had more than a few.

... but if anything, I fall on the side of (relatively) stronger federal government. I'm sure many states-righters think I'm a heretic. :)

Your ideals are fine in cozy quiet PGG TOWN. if u were a parent in Arvada you'd rape Holmes yourself. Or pick from one of your 383 guns and shoot him. Youre disconnected from reality. In it for yourself. Wanna battle the very GOVERNMENT u signed up for, and quote as a right to bear arms. Nutjob.

Well.

I've been trying to figure you out for months now.

You have periods of lucidity, when you write in calm, measured, rational tones. Even when I disagree with you, which isn't 100% of the time, most of the time you're not ... angry.

But then you get emotional about a topic, and you go off the deep end. You engage in this weird stream-of-consciousness writing. I'm coming to believe that this is when we get to see the real you, unfiltered.

The real you is vicious, vindictive, arrogant, contemptuous. I am, honestly, appalled and disgusted by the way you advocate deliberately cruel punishment, torture, vigilante justice.

You are, in a word, weak. And I don't mean weak in a defensible, understandable way, where your weakness stems from physical attributes (for all I know you can bench press a compact car) ... or inability to think or learn (I know you're a smart guy). I mean weakness in the least forgivable way: moral weakness.

Your support for gun control makes more and more sense - you personally lack impulse control, and so you believe others can't have impulse control either. It's not surprising that you are so certain that I'd act out violently if I'd had a child killed at the movie theater. People who lack filters on their thoughts, words, and actions tend to think others lack the same.

Please address the points you skipped PGG, I'm curious. Save the maps for bed time reading, they mean nothing.

No. I'm done with you.

The last time you went stream-of-consciousness bonkers here, I told myself I should just disengage and ignore you in the future. I should have listened to myself.

Go ahead and declare victory if you like; you can have the last word in this thread. Maybe someone else will pick up the argument against you.

EDIT: Doctor712. If there was a line - you crossed it. Take a few moments to calm down.

No idea what you're taking about. Seriously.
And please let the mods police this forum. Thanks.

D712

That's me all right, anti-government, workin' my government job, taking care of government employees, doing the government's work, cashing a government paycheck. :rolleyes:

Government does some great things. Some things, the government screws up. Some things, the government shouldn't be involved in.

I know you have trouble retaining details from our previous conversations. Case in point ...

I'm an atheist, of course. I don't think we've had quite as many religion threads as gun threads :D but we've had more than a few.

... but if anything, I fall on the side of (relatively) stronger federal government. I'm sure many states-righters think I'm a heretic. :)

Well.

I've been trying to figure you out for months now.

You have periods of lucidity, when you write in calm, measured, rational tones. Even when I disagree with you, which isn't 100% of the time, most of the time you're not ... angry.

But then you get emotional about a topic, and you go off the deep end. You engage in this weird stream-of-consciousness writing. I'm coming to believe that this is when we get to see the real you, unfiltered.

The real you is vicious, vindictive, arrogant, contemptuous. I am, honestly, appalled and disgusted by the way you advocate deliberately cruel punishment, torture, vigilante justice.

You are, in a word, weak. And I don't mean weak in a defensible, understandable way, where your weakness stems from physical attributes (for all I know you can bench press a compact car) ... or inability to think or learn (I know you're a smart guy). I mean weakness in the least forgivable way: moral weakness.

Your support for gun control makes more and more sense - you personally lack impulse control, and so you believe others can't have impulse control either. It's not surprising that you are so certain that I'd act out violently if I'd had a child killed at the movie theater. People who lack filters on their thoughts, words, and actions tend to think others lack the same.

No. I'm done with you.

The last time you went stream-of-consciousness bonkers here, I told myself I should just disengage and ignore you in the future. I should have listened to myself.

Go ahead and declare victory if you like; you can have the last word in this thread. Maybe someone else will pick up the argument against you.

I have no interest in declaring victory against you PGG. What I will say is that you call me a heretic for wanting to punish a child murderer. Days after the worst shooting in US history.
But YOU say something along the lines that HOLMES ACTS IS THE PRICE WE SHOULD BE COMFORTABLE PAYING FOR YOUR RIGHT TO BEAR AN AK-47.

That sir, is insanity.

now, you've insulted me, I've insulted you, and then in the end, my
Opinions are so different then yours, I'm the heretic. WOW.

All I ask next time, is to save the psychoanalysis of ME until you know what makes YOU tick. The alternative sounds quite foolish and uninformed.

wonderful debating with u PGG. Too bad the thread ran its course.
You know how I feel and Im on an iPhone so I cannot pull your heinous quote about kids getting shot being an OK price to pay. Kudos. You do not want me to psychoanalyze you PGG.

YEAH. we're done. Mr lucid.

D712

Also, for the federal govt haters, ATF haters and the like, forensics terminals are being sent from AURORA (I wrote Arvada before, sorry) to QUANTICO, VA. To the non redundant FEDS. where they can do what they do.

D712

I do not have much interest in this topic. But I wonder why this "stream-of-conciousness" is used as an insult all over sdn. Never heard anybody use this term in real life except when referring to some novels. I don't really know what it means(am I going stream-of-conciousness now:thumbup:). Do they teach in ms3 psychiatry that stream-of-conciousness = schizophrenia? I would not be surprised if this was so in real life. But when you write on a message board, it's a little different from when you are talking to somebody face to face. Even keeping your own private diary is a little different from talking in front of a "colleague" or a boss or a judge. Do you think writing something mean in a diary makes you an evil person? How can you even tell that someone is angry here? Seems the only anger is that you are not declared a clear winner in your debate.

Also, for the federal govt haters, ATF haters and the like, forensics terminals are being sent from AURORA (I wrote Arvada before, sorry) to QUANTICO, VA. To the non redundant FEDS. where they can do what they do.

D712

I'm not a hater, I simply pointed out that it's redundant to a system that is already in place. Your refusal to accept that fact is on you.

I'm not a hater, I simply pointed out that it's redundant to a system that is already in place. Your refusal to accept that fact is on you.

Well, honestly, and not to be inflammatory, I do think that you did a WEE bit more than say they were simply redundant. :rolleyes:

D712

Well, honestly, and not to be inflammatory, I do think that you did a WEE bit more than say they were simply redundant. :rolleyes:

D712

I said they were redundant and pointed out why, I then mentioned why they probably would not be involved with the Holmes case other than possibly to assist with the explosives in the apartment.

You're sidestepping my point a bit.

1. The ATF....There are many that would argue the ATF is the true Gestapo in Federal Law Enforcement....
but I don't particularly care to engage in that discussion.

Yet you brought it up, so I imagine, you don't disagree?

The fact of the matter is, there are many illegal guns out there and the ATF is doing their best to try and snag as many as they can,
Fairly, you also wrote this.

Honestly though, I do think the ATF is a bit of a waste of money,
And this.

D712

Pgg,

If you're still reading this, rather than hold you over the barrel for posting what I quote below, which I still am posting, I am going to
do something else. First off, you find it reprehensible that I want Holme's beaten to death in jail. I find it reprehensible that you
feel this...what you wrote:

Periodic massacres like this are an acceptable price for a society to pay, in return for the benefits of an armed populace.

Rather than harp on that point though. I'm going to list the names of the victims on this website out of respect. SDN doesn't remove anything and these people, as you as 6 shall be etched in stone here, a very important website to me.

Jessica Ghawi, 24, of Denver; aspiring sports journalist
Veronica Moser, 6, whose mother was critically injured (ETA: mother hasn't been told of daughter's death yet, during periods of awakening when she asked for daughter. Mom had been shot in throat and is in ICU).
Matt McQuinn, 27, of Denver; technical support provider
Alex Sullivan, 27, of Aurora; worked at Red Robin restaurant
Micayla Medek, 23, of Westminster, Colo.
John Larimer, 27, of Buckley Air Force Base, Navy cryptologist
Jesse Childress, 29, of Thornton, Colo., Air Force cyber-systems operator
Gordon W. Cowden, 51
Jonathan T. Blunk, 26
Rebecca Ann Wingo, 32
Alexander C. Teves, 24, earned master's degree in counseling psychology in June from University of Denver
Alexander J. Boik, 18

Ok. I could post pictures of these victims as well and really push PGG to reconsider his comment, post quotes from family members and the such. But I know that PGG HATES the fact that this happened as much as me. I know PGG is a good American who has served his country honorably. And I know that PGG wishes this never happened.

What PGG is not seeing here is very simple: I want this...

Periodic massacres like this are an acceptable price for a society to pay...

...To become COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY unacceptable in today's US society.

Period. That's the change I am asking for. When that transition happens, and larger ones have happened in the US, then the rest will follow. That's what I want.

People need to do SMALL things to make America a more amazing country, we have problems now. One of these things is look in the mirror and weigh GOOD vs EVIL. When that equation, very simply, means deaths outweigh an armed populace, I think we are in the wrong mind frame.

Today, someone famous said this:

"My love to the victims in Colorado. The kid ws sick bt u who can still support automatic weapon sales r the real maniacs in this country."

That's where I am.

As if you didn't already know it...

D712

doctor712 said:
FiremedicMike said:

Your argument is fundamentally flawed. Even if they banned new guns from being made, and even if they then went out and confiscated every legal firearm in America (is it really ok for the government to take away private property?), there are still countless illegal guns out there that bad guys have access to. It's like the ridiculousness of "gun free zones". The only people who obey those are the law abiding citizens who may be able to intervene against the criminal intent on committing murder or burglary or kidnapping and couldn't care less about the crime of carrying where he's not supposed to.

My argument is flawed because i cannot come up with a perfect fix. donate blood. get illegal guns off the street. step away from the coke. smile. koomba-frigging-ya.
but, Mike, I'll let the ATF know that you think they are a monumental waste of taxpayers money. just don't call em if you ever need em. FBI too.

This is where you brought up the ATF out of the blue.

I think I'm with pgg, this discussion is no longer making any sense, and it's definitely not going anywhere.

...To become COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY unacceptable in today's US society.

It already is, so congrats you win on that point. Though the thing you fail to realize is more regulation/limitation won't stop these events. It won't even make it harder to commit events such as this, sorry, but that is the difference between your idealistic wishes and reality.

It already is, so congrats you win on that point. Though the thing you fail to realize is more regulation/limitation won't stop these events. It won't even make it harder to commit events such as this, sorry, but that is the difference between your idealistic wishes and reality.

While we can't exactly follow Chris Rock's advice and start charging $5k per bullet, there is a valid point in that bit.

You can't stop a lunatic from killing one person, but you can make it a lot harder for him to kill 12.

He shouldn't have been able to get an assault rifle, and clips should be smaller. Those changes wouldn't have saved everyone, but the death toll would have been lower.

And I'm sorry, but there's nothing in the constitution about assault rifles and no legitimate reason for non-military/law enforcement people to have them.

I find this scenario similar to people flipping out about catching ebola despite the fact that your odds are incredibly higher of dying from a simple strep pneumonia. People are afraid of what they have no control over.

Likewise, as far as violent deaths go, you're much more likely to be hit and killed by a drunk driver than taken out by a mass murderer, yet you don't hear daily arguments about restricting people's rights to drink alcohol or drive cars...at least not separately.

I find this scenario similar to people flipping out about catching ebola despite the fact that your odds are incredibly higher of dying from a simple strep pneumonia. People are afraid of what they have no control over.

Likewise, as far as violent deaths go, you're much more likely to be hit and killed by a drunk driver than taken out by a mass murderer, yet you don't hear daily arguments about restricting people's rights to drink alcohol or drive cars...at least not separately.

Oh, I'm equally supportive of further restrictions on driving and/or drinking. There are practical limitations (eg prohibition does not work), but there's more that could be done.

And the ridiculous thing in the US is that both of those are still much more regulated than guns.

And don't pretend gun violence is something rare like shark attacks - the death toll is much higher than that.

Oh, I'm equally supportive of further restrictions on driving and/or drinking. There are practical limitations (eg prohibition does not work), but there's more that could be done.

And the ridiculous thing in the US is that both of those are still much more regulated than guns.

And don't pretend gun violence is something rare like shark attacks - the death toll is much higher than that.

What further restrictions do you think would work?

Is it? Last I checked there aren't any background checks or waiting periods for drinking, or driving.

Gun violence isn't rare, but it also doesn't kill on the same scale as those two things.

My point is, you can't legislate/restrict bad things away, no matter how hard you want to.

Is it? Last I checked there aren't any background checks or waiting periods for drinking, or driving.

Gun violence isn't rare, but it also doesn't kill on the same scale as those two things.

My point is, you can't legislate/restrict bad things away, no matter how hard you want to.

You can't get rid of them, but you can moderate them.

Or are you saying we should stop licensing drivers too, because (by your philosophy) what's the point?

What further restrictions do you think would work?

On guns?

Assault rifle ban, get rid of extended magazine clips.

On automobiles?

Require retesting, particularly of elderly drivers.

On alcohol?

Increase booze taxes.

I'm sure there are other things that might help, but I don't want to get dragged into another silly argument with libertarians.

On guns?

On automobiles?

On alcohol?

Increase booze taxes.

I'm sure there are other things that might help, but I don't want to get dragged into another silly argument with libertarians.

Where does this belief that "banning" something suddenly makes it go away, or even more difficult to get? No where has this ever been demonstrated. Even the increased taxes do not seem to be a deterrent, latest CDC data I have seen shows smoking rates have been fairly stable over the last 7 years, or are you suggesting more extreme taxes than what was placed on cigarettes?

I was in the position to see the effects of harsher ramifications for DUI. My first two years DUI in this state was a class 4 misdemeanor (points on license and fine <$500), it was increased to a class 1, carried 6 month suspension, fines in excess of $1000, and jail time for a FIRST offense. The only change in the number of DUI arrests has been when they increased in the last couple of years.

There seems to be some weird belief that people who intend to break the law are suddenly going to care about them at some arbitrary point. People who are out to go on a rampage aren't going to let something like the fact that their weapon of choice isn't obtainable legally. And I think you overestimate how difficult it is to buy/find illegal items (of any sort).

Assault weapons aren't like pot - no one is growing them in his backyard.

They would actually be quite easy to control, once enough of the excess supply on the streets was recaptured.

And no, they're not being smuggled over the border (at least not into the country).

Assault weapons aren't like pot - no one is growing them in his backyard.

Can you define "assault weapon" for us? I'm not being a smartass, this is a difficult thing to do in a rigorous and meaningful manner.

Why is an AR-15 generally regarded as an "assault rifle" but a Ruger Mini-14 generally isn't? They're both semi-automatic rifles that fire the .223 cartridge.

To illustrate how much of a cluster**** this is in practice, here's California's definition and a flowchart to determine if a rifle is considered an "assault weapon" under state law (link to pdf): California Assault Weapon ID Flowchart

Also ... you might be surprised how easy it is to assemble an "assault weapon" from commonly available, multi-use commodity parts. And how easy it is to manufacture them from nothing. Two of my AR15s were machined from metal bar stock by a guy literally operating out of a warehouse.

On guns?

This was done at the federal level, for a period of 10 years from 1994 to 2004. Some states (eg, California again) effectively continued that beyond 2004.

Do you think the federal ban was successful? On what data do you base that answer? Do you have specific criticisms of the federal ban that you think could have achieved its stated goals (reduction in violent crime) more effectively?

On automobiles?

On alcohol?

Increase booze taxes.

I mostly identify myself as a libertarian and while I don't particularly agree with 'sin taxes' I do acknowledge that taxes are an effective way for government to nudge public behavior in certain directions.

They certainly can encourage some behaviors, eg home buying. I'm not convinced that they really deter behavior though.

Mass shooting prompts calls from Capitol Hill and beyond for tighter gun laws

The call for federal lawmakers to tighten gun laws has intensified following the mass shooting in Colorado, with New Jersey Democratic Sen. Frank R. Lautenberg urging Congress on Saturday to swiftly address a ban on certain weapons.
"Let's stop wasting time and start saving lives," Lautenberg, D-N.J. said on his Twitter account. "Congress must prioritize a ban on high-capacity gun magazines."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/07/21/mass-shooting-prompts-calls-from-capitol-hill-and-beyond-for-tighter-gun-laws/#ixzz21LS4nETA

I've presented this as the "rocket launcher" argument to a number of people in the gun control discussion since Aurora, and I'm legitimately interested in hearing a response. Interestingly, my premise thus far has simply been that if criminals will go to whatever extent necessary to acquire weapons, why is any sort of weapon banned? pgg presented an even better premise, in placing the Second Amendment in the context of civilian armament vs government armament.

I think I've covered my argument almost as good as I can, but to answer your thought a) I think PGG's premise is wrong, so I don't buy into his logic. b) explicitly, I don't buy into your logic c) less bullets in weapons that we CANNOT control, will cause less deaths, even in an AR-15. d) arms, to me, should be construed as handguns, and nothing more.

D712

To illustrate how much of a cluster**** this is in practice
That's part of the problem. It's all a cluster ****, surely what the Framers wanted. Let's fix it.

here's California's definition and a flowchart to determine if a rifle is considered an "assault weapon" under state law (link to pdf): California Assault Weapon ID Flowchart
All states need clear bans, 50 of em.

Also ... you might be surprised how easy it is to assemble an "assault weapon" from commonly available, multi-use commodity parts. And how easy it is to manufacture them from nothing. Two of my AR15s were machined from metal bar stock by a guy literally operating out of a warehouse.
Idiots like this manufacturer should be treated like they are a Crack dealer. Honest question: was this a way of skirting California's laws? Or is it legal in Cali to make an "AR-like" gun out of metal stock?

This was done at the federal level, for a period of 10 years from 1994 to 2004. Some states (eg, California again) effectively continued that beyond 2004.
HI PGG!!!!! Me again. We've covered this topic and you declined to address my comments. Funny how you're back here again trying to find holes in other people's arguments. Should you like to discuss this again DIRECTLY with me, please advise.

Do you think the federal ban was successful?
Do you think enough time passed to make judgement? N=10 years. Enough to cure the problem?

On what data do you base that answer?
On what POOR DATA do you base YOUR answer? You squirt drugs when it's N=10?? We both know as sure as **** that you don't.

GET EMPIRICAL. Sort of like Get Milk, but with Data.

Do you have specific criticisms of the federal ban that you think could have achieved its stated goals (reduction in violent crime) more effectively?
Yeah, AWFUL CRAP doesn't go away in 10 years. You think about 50, 100, 200 years, IMAGINE that. [/QUOTE]

After you voiced strong opinions in my direction, equally participating in the snide comment contest, which got you the reply in kind that made you stop answering - AT LEAST ME - on this thread, I'm going to keep on you whenever you decide to take the SAME ARGUMENT to another SDN member. I'll be right there behind you to hold you accountable on this. Just because. I like to do that when people a) psychoanalyze me in public, b) side step my answers and questions c) bail on a debate and d) come back looking for more, ELSEWHERE.

EDITED TO "RELAX LIKE FRANKIE"

D712

Last edited:
Mass shooting prompts calls from Capitol Hill and beyond for tighter gun laws

The call for federal lawmakers to tighten gun laws has intensified following the mass shooting in Colorado, with New Jersey Democratic Sen. Frank R. Lautenberg urging Congress on Saturday to swiftly address a ban on certain weapons.
“Let's stop wasting time and start saving lives,” Lautenberg, D-N.J. said on his Twitter account. “Congress must prioritize a ban on high-capacity gun magazines.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/07/21/mass-shooting-prompts-calls-from-capitol-hill-and-beyond-for-tighter-gun-laws/#ixzz21LS4nETA

I was going to post this link last night, but I'm glad you did BLADEMDA.

D712

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/21/u...main-lax-despite-changes-after-columbine.html

A blurb or two from the article:

Moreover, gun rights organizations have successfully fought other efforts to restrict access to guns, including blocking a University of Colorado rule prohibiting concealed weapons on campus.

The latest shootings will almost certainly lead to efforts to tighten gun laws. The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence issued a statement that laid the blame on lax gun laws: “The horrendous shooting in Aurora, Colo., is yet another tragic reminder that we have a national problem of easy availability of guns in this country.”

D712

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sns-rt-usa-shootingmexicol2e8il3t9-20120721,0,5004861.story

Blurb:

"Because of the Aurora, Colorado tragedy, the American
Congress must review its mistaken legislation on guns. It's
doing damage to us all," Calderon said.

The presidency of Calderon, who leaves office at the end of
November, has been overshadowed by his efforts to crack down on
the drug gangs. Fighting among the cartels and their clashes
with the state have killed more than 55,000 people since 2007.

In February, Calderon appealed to the United States to halt
the flow of arms by unveiling a massive sign on the Mexican-U.S.
border reading "No More Weapons!" The letters on the billboard
in the city of Ciudad Juarez were made of recycled guns seized
by security forces.

Calderon has also urged Washington to revive a ban on
assault weapons in the United States that expired in 2004.
"

Perhaps the President to the state to our South wants the ASSAULT WEAPON
BAN of 94-04 back because he has data that show a benefit. PGG
argues otherwise. Even in a 10 year period.

D712