Mass General Brigham

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otis86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any insight on working here? Culture? Call? Salary?

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard salary is very low for the area. Enough people are willing to take less $$ for the privilege of saying I work at MGH/Brigham and a Harvard academic appointment.

• Hmm
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard salary is very low for the area. Enough people are willing to take less $$ for the privilege of saying I work at MGH/Brigham and a Harvard academic appointment.

Yep I've heard the same. May be do it for a year for fellowship or attending to attach the cred to your name then gtfo after buying yourself a couple of Harvard sweatshirts

Reactions: 1 users
Yep I've heard the same. May be do it for a year for fellowship or attending to attach the cred to your name then gtfo after buying yourself a couple of Harvard sweatshirts

Fellowship I get. But if someone tried to work there only for a year for "cred" and then jump ship I'd probably be less likely to hire them.

Also, if you're a generalist, I wouldn't consider you spending a couple years at an institution where literally every difficult case has a fellowship trained team to do it to be a good resume builder. We're a smaller academic program and our ideal generalist candidate is someone who has facility with OB, regional, vascular, bread and butter thoracic (cardiac a plus), multilevel spines and cranis (no awakes), cathlab, and level I trauma.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Fellowship I get. But if someone tried to work there only for a year for "cred" and then jump ship I'd probably be less likely to hire them.

Also, if you're a generalist, I wouldn't consider you spending a couple years at an institution where literally every difficult case has a fellowship trained team to do it to be a good resume builder. We're a smaller academic program and our ideal generalist candidate is someone who has facility with OB, regional, vascular, bread and butter thoracic (cardiac a plus), multilevel spines and cranis (no awakes), cathlab, and level I trauma.
Agree to some extent with this. But also your probably likely to do some sick patients and big cases at MGH. I think doing cases at MGH would probably be good experience, but certainly not worth taking a pay cut for.

MGB = MGH and Brigham and Women's. Both have very different working cultures, subspecialty teams, call structures, etc. You're going to need to be more specific.

Reactions: 2 users
Agree to some extent with this. But also your probably likely to do some sick patients and big cases at MGH. I think doing cases at MGH would probably be good experience, but certainly not worth taking a pay cut for.

Yeah to be fair I don't know specifically the generalist case mix at MGH or Brigham. I'm just speaking from my experience as a former resident and fellow at busy quaternary type places with lots of fellowship trained attendings. The generalists did get some big cases, but usually it was of the big belly variety like a whipple or sick ICU ex lap. For everything else...sick OB pt, carotid or open AAA, vats/thoracotomy, esophagectomy, pump case, TAVR, crani, all peds, regional blocks, liver/kidney transplant...90+% of the time an attending from that "team" did those.

Also, someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the instructor jobs there really aren't that competitive (unlike the residencies and fellowships). I see that as another reason that taking a job there for a couple years isn't that strong of a CV builder.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The new organization is called Mass General Brigham. Previously it was Partners Healthcare. Of course the original hospitals still have their individual anesthesia departments, residencies, and chairman’s. But for simplicity of patient care and marketing the Partners organization is being disregarded and Mass General Brigham is the new entity. BIDMC is left out for some reason. I know they have revamped their pay and organization. I like academic anesthesia and for now see myself working in academics. Maybe I’ll prob go back to private when I’m older, plus MGH Brigham on a CV, looks pretty stellar.

I can tell you about the B in MGB. Very good culture, amazing attendings and residents, pretty academic, slow/inefficient ORs but lots of complex/fun cases. Pay structure was revamped last year and is decent. Definitely comparable to most places in Boston. There’s some call that can be easily given away or you could take extra. Lots of academic time (baseline 1 day per week, the sky is the limit if you’re doing admin/research stuff).

The new organization is called Mass General Brigham. Previously it was Partners Healthcare. Of course the original hospitals still have their individual anesthesia departments, residencies, and chairman’s. But for simplicity of patient care and marketing the Partners organization is being disregarded and Mass General Brigham is the new entity. BIDMC is left out for some reason. I know they have revamped their pay and organization. I like academic anesthesia and for now see myself working in academics. Maybe I’ll prob go back to private when I’m older, plus MGH Brigham on a CV, looks pretty stellar.
Yes, I'm aware, I trained at one of these programs. Partners was originally formed by MGH + Brigham for better negotiation power with insurance companies. There's been rumors the past few years of trying to merge the anesthesia programs into one integrated program like the EM or ortho residency programs but I think that would be difficult given they have very different cultures. I will say attending salary has improved post-COVID since many attendings at both programs were jumping ship for Tufts and Lahey after those programs significantly bumped their salaries but you're still paying the "Harvard tax" for that name on your CV.

BIDMC is kind of like the forgotten stepchild in the big Harvard three and is part of the Lahey system now.

If you are not from Boston or those hospitals good luck...