What killed Sang Ho Baek?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epidural man

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't find any info. When was his surgery?

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think PE is a presumptive cause as it often is when somebody dies unexpectedly after surgery.

Besides sequential leg compression , what else would you do for na healthy 20 year old going for relatively low risk procedure.
Even with prolonged tourniquet times I can’t imagine a PE resulting from this.

Reactions: 2 users
Besides sequential leg compression , what else would you do for na healthy 20 year old going for relatively low risk procedure.

Sh1t happens.

Every procedure has inherent risk. People try to downplay surgery "oh it's a routine procedure blah blah blah". Nope. **** can go down anytime.

Reactions: 5 users

sounds like it was a postoperative event. I assume he had some undiagnosed hypercoagulable disorder and the combination of surgery and sitting around for a few days afterwards was the trigger.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you say the same thing when a plane crashes? Do we not do a root cause analysis. Tell that to the parents of this young man. Sorry mom, **** happens.

Well if thr standard of care was used for this patient, I dont really know what root cause analysis would tell you aside from patient had bad luck

Do you say the same thing when a plane crashes? Do we not do a root cause analysis. Tell that to the parents of this young man. Sorry mom, **** happens.

That's how medicine is sometimes. Can't predict it. One guy will have a brain bleed and become a vegetable while another guy will have the same brain bleed but recover completely. That's life.

Reactions: 1 users
My brother in law is heterozygous for Factor V Leiden and he developed a blood clot after a 60 minute knee scope with tourniquet. I told him specifically to tell the surgeon “no tourniquet” but apparently surgeon went and did it anyway. My wife’s mother and brother are both only heterozygous but are for some reason very susceptible to provoked clots.

That's how medicine is sometimes. Can't predict it. One guy will have a brain bleed and become a vegetable while another guy will have the same brain bleed but recover completely. That's life.
Agreed , just working out if something was amiss.

Maybe someone forgot to test ventilate before pushing roc? Or it could have been bubbles in the IV tubing. Ancef being given as a fast push, instead of over 10 minutes per manufacturer recommendations, also might have contributed. Massive internal hemorrhage from ketorolac also on the differential, of course. I assume the anesthesiologist wouldn’t do something floridly dangerous, like wearing their scrubs in from home (thus leading to overwhelming massive septicemia in the PACU).

Now that I think about it… Definitely the bubbles in the IV tubing.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Maybe someone forgot to test ventilate before pushing roc? Or it could have been bubbles in the IV tubing. Ancef being given as a fast push, instead of over 10 minutes per manufacturer recommendations, also might have contributed. Massive internal hemorrhage from ketorolac also on the differential, of course. I assume the anesthesiologist wouldn’t do something floridly dangerous, like wearing their scrubs in from home (thus leading to overwhelming massive septicemia in the PACU).

Now that I think about it… Definitely the bubbles in the IV tubing.

It was probably the two minutes at a blood pressure of 89/59

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Of course I don’t. My comment was for an anonymous discussion board among clinicians.

But risks (even small ones) do show up from time to time. We try to learn from them and lessen them. But terrible sh1t can still happen even if no mistake is made and best practice followed.

Hopefully they used SCDs. We use them on everyone over 12 for surgery expected to last more than 60 min. I’m not sure what the evidence for those guidelines is though, particularly in low risk patients.
Other than that, there’s really nothing else you can do for routine surgery on healthy patients.
When did he get his covid vaccine? That will probably be in the conspiracy blogs soon.

Root cause analysis? Like an autopsy? Unlikely it hasn't been done.

Hopefully they used SCDs. We use them on everyone over 12 for surgery expected to last more than 60 min. I’m not sure what the evidence for those guidelines is though, particularly in low risk patients.

While SCDs probably help prevent a DVT from forming during surgery, I cannot imagine they provide any benefit over the next few days in a hypercoagulable patient.

While SCDs probably help prevent a DVT from forming during surgery, I cannot imagine they provide any benefit over the next few days in a hypercoagulable patient.

At one of our ASC’s we send patients home with battery operated SCD’s.

At one of our ASC’s we send patients home with battery operated SCD’s.

interesting. Any idea if they actually use them? How long are they instructed to use them for? I assume until ambulating normally?

interesting. Any idea if they actually use them? How long are they instructed to use them for? I assume until ambulating normally?

Yes, instructed to wear them until ambulating normally, and whenever they are on the couch/in bed. No idea what the compliance rate actually is.

Yes, instructed to wear them until ambulating normally, and whenever they are on the couch/in bed. No idea what the compliance rate actually is.

I am following the Benjamins on this one. Who’s making the dough I want to know.

It is very sad but honestly is sometimes the right answer. The need to do something is part of the problem. For example assuming he had a PE from an underlying hypercoagulable disorder, some admin board may say we should screen all patients for them first. This of course would diagnose many patients who would then get (mostly) unnecessary anticoagulation. Likewise getting a TTE on every 20 year old will catch the occasional hypertrophic CM and even more rarely prevent a case of sudden cardiac death, but is bad medicine when applied on the population level.

Reactions: 3 users
Don't SCDs have no evidence they prevent anything?? Just used as kinda weak legal protection? Maybe my preceptors have an uncommon opinion with this.

Don't SCDs have no evidence they prevent anything?? Just used as kinda weak legal protection? Maybe my preceptors have an uncommon opinion with this.

It depends on the setting and patient risk factors but they do reduce DVT and PE in patients having high and moderate risk surgery.

When did he get the Covid 19 vaccine? There are reports of increased clotting after the second dose. Perhaps, the surgery combined with the recent second dose of mRNA covid vaccine was enough for a clot to form? Pure supposition on my part.