Maryland vs VCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

med8866

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Already accepted at the former and just received an interview at VCU -

At this point, I wonder if it will be for a waitlist spot, etc.and also whether I will choose VCU over UMD if accepted...

Any comments?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you in-state at either? Then, the choice is obvious. If OOS at both, I would say Maryland is probably a stronger school. Their curricula are fairly similar and traditional. The clinical opportunities are also similar (both located in decent sized cities).

Personally, I think Baltimore has more going for it considering UMB is adjacent to Camden Yards and M&T Bank Stadium. West Baltimore is a somewhat nicer part of Baltimore (well relative to East Baltimore), and I found the campus to be awesome.

Honestly, there's not too much separating these 2 schools...Maryland is slightly higher ranked (although not very meaningful). So it really comes down to location and cost. And I think Baltimore>Richmond but that's a personal choice (coming from a Marylander whose lived in Richmond the past 4 years).

I would be interested in hearing opinions about VCU vs GW. I have an interview scheduled at VCU for later this month (OOS) and recently received an acceptance to GW. I loved GW, but is there anything VCU has in terms of an advantage/unique opportunities?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be interested in hearing opinions about VCU vs GW. I have an interview scheduled at VCU for later this month (OOS) and recently received an acceptance to GW. I loved GW, but is there anything VCU has in terms of an advantage/unique opportunities?

This probably needs to be its own thread. In any case, I think VCU definitely trumps GW. The cost of living in DC is absurd and your total cost of attendance will definitely be less at VCU (rent in Richmond is like $500-650 a month compared to >$900 in DC). In general, the whole LCME accreditation problem at GW just turned me off to their school completely (I didn't even apply). They are both similarly ranked but I believe that VCU has more going for it in the long run. They are building a brand new medical education building set to open in 2013 and will have a revamped curriculum (pass/fail) in 2012...now I know that both of these won't affect you much but it simply shows the growth/expansion of VCU compared to GW.

Again, there's not too much separating these schools currently (but will change in the future), so do you prefer to pay more to live in DC or are you ok with the more low-key Richmond for less?

I interviewed at both and I would say VCU has a lot of great things to offer. A key difference is the style of the curriculum. GW you are in class 9-5 every day whereas at VCU you are in class 8-12. The curriculum is also systems based at VCU. The students at VCU seemed much happier to me...maybe because they aren't in class all day. VCU also has a lot of new developments planned, so it is definitely up and coming. The cost of living is also cheaper in Richmond. GW has the track system, which is neat and opportunities that you can have just by being in DC. However, the last two years at VCU you can rotate at Inova so you are closer to DC. So if you don't want to miss on the bigger city feel, you have an opportunity to seek it out your last two years. I'm obviously biased toward VCU because I wasn't impressed with GW on my interview, but take it as you will. :luck:

Already accepted at the former and just received an interview at VCU -

At this point, I wonder if it will be for a waitlist spot, etc.and also whether I will choose VCU over UMD if accepted...

Any comments?

Coming from someone who has been accepted at both of those schools.....I would say there is no reason to really consider VCU if you have been accepted at Maryland. The two schools are similar but I would venture to call Maryland a step higher and better in every category. Maryland is also better with financial aid and the adcom is exceptional

My vote goes for Maryland but it's a little biased since I'm likely going to matriculate there. I never interviewed at VCU so I couldn't give you any thoughts there...

I like Maryland because it's an urban campus in the heart of a downtown area, superb hospital and facilities, little class time (8-12 everyday, I believe), many research opportunities, lots of young professionals in the area, lots of entertainment options and the region is concentrated with biotech and life science research. It just felt like the kind of school I want to end up at.

Thank you all for the responses. I also have a feeling that Maryland is better in most categories. I particularly liked their library/ gym and shock trauma centre...amazing facilities indeed.

After voting for Maryland, I got an invite for VCU. I've been pretty set on going to Maryland (I'm OOS for both schools) but should I still check out VCU? It's gonna be expensive for me to fly out there and I'm not overly-interested in the school...but then again, after interviewing at a school I didn't think I would like a couple months ago, I came out with a very positive opinion about the school/town.

What's the grading policy at VCU? If I want to come back out west for residency, would either school put me in a better position to do so? Is either school better for research?

I know that there are a lot more OOS'ers at VCU...my one concern with Maryland is feeling a little like an outsider since there will be significantly more IS'ers...or am I just being ridiculous? Can any west coasters at Maryland chime in on what the student environment/population is like?

After voting for Maryland, I got an invite for VCU. I've been pretty set on going to Maryland (I'm OOS for both schools) but should I still check out VCU? It's gonna be expensive for me to fly out there and I'm not overly-interested in the school...but then again, after interviewing at a school I didn't think I would like a couple months ago, I came out with a very positive opinion about the school/town.

What's the grading policy at VCU? If I want to come back out west for residency, would either school put me in a better position to do so? Is either school better for research?

I know that there are a lot more OOS'ers at VCU...my one concern with Maryland is feeling a little like an outsider since there will be significantly more IS'ers...or am I just being ridiculous? Can any west coasters at Maryland chime in on what the student environment/population is like?

You should post this in the Maryland Class of 2015 facebook group. I believe an OOS student (from Florida) posted on the wall asking if anyone wanted to know about life as an OOSer at Maryland.

Status
Not open for further replies.