Marine base locations for Naval dentists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edyizme

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Anyone know where the Marine bases are that Navy dentists can be stationed at during operational duty (first two years of the 4 year payback)? I know that there's Camp Pendleton in San Diego and Norfolk, VA. Any others?

Also, what's the likelihood of getting deployed?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Anyone know where the Marine bases are that Navy dentists can be stationed at during operational duty (first two years of the 4 year payback)? I know that there's Camp Pendleton in San Diego and Norfolk, VA. Any others?

Also, what's the likelihood of getting deployed?

Thanks!

norfolk is not a Marine base. it is the largest naval installation in the world.

any place you find Marines, you will find Navy physicians, dentists, and corpsman providing their healthcare. with the POTUS's announcement to increase troop levels in Afghanistan, you can bet that Marines will be the ones most heavily tasked with this latest surge.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think that deployment likelihood will be almost certain in 2013?

Do you think that deployment likelihood will be almost certain in 2013?

Yes. Even more so. The Navy's dental force is shrinking because the Navy is hiring contracted civilian dentists to do our job state side. This, in turn, will mean more frequent or longer deployments. Plus, we've been beating the war drum on Iran and Pakistan for years now. We could easily be in one or both of those countries by then.

The Navy's dental force is shrinking because the Navy is hiring contracted civilian dentists to do our job state side.

negative on this statement. the last couple 'State of the Corps' briefs i have been at have emphasized the fact that GS and contract billets are being bought back in an effort to provide young LTs with a place to go after being operational and to grow as officers. this is in concert with the increasing of several bonuses and bringing to total number of Navy dental corps officers to 1100-1200.

this is not to say that we won't continue to be a corps tasked with many operational duties. and in answer to the OP, the short answer is yes. you will be, at the very least, in an operational job and most likely deployed (possibly multiple times in a 24-36 month period). as an LT in the dental corps, you are the low man on the totem pole and everything flows downhill. it is not our job to be at a clinic stateside, that is a reward for more senior officers that have already done their time being forward deployed.

negative on this statement. the last couple 'State of the Corps' briefs i have been at have emphasized the fact that GS and contract billets are being bought back in an effort to provide young LTs with a place to go after being operational and to grow as officers. this is in concert with the increasing of several bonuses and bringing to total number of Navy dental corps officers to 1100-1200.

this is not to say that we won't continue to be a corps tasked with many operational duties. and in answer to the OP, the short answer is yes. you will be, at the very least, in an operational job and most likely deployed (possibly multiple times in a 24-36 month period). as an LT in the dental corps, you are the low man on the totem pole and everything flows downhill. it is not our job to be at a clinic stateside, that is a reward for more senior officers that have already done their time being forward deployed.

Allow me to paraphrase this and see if I understand you correctly. You were told by your superiors that civilian dentists were being contracted in order to

1) Allow LT's to be where they're supposed to be....war/overseas in order to "build their careers".
2) Maintain available US billet locations so that career minded LT's can eventually pick up those locations. Of course, inevitably, at the expense of the contract dentist.

I feel so used and naive. Now I have to hate contract dentists. For every one that gets hired means I'm more likely to get deployed. And they are soo nice. Too bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So you are saying that LT's are more likely to be deployed now. This is only for when an LT is operational, correct? Years 4 and 5 (AEGD plus 4 year HPSP) are shore duty, and you are much less likely to be deployed, right?

So you are saying that LT's are more likely to be deployed now. This is only for when an LT is operational, correct? Years 4 and 5 (AEGD plus 4 year HPSP) are shore duty, and you are much less likely to be deployed, right?

LTs are not "more likely to be deployed now" but rather they are (with a few exceptions) going to be deployed. so basically, you'd be looking at something along the lines of this:
y1: AEGD/GPR
y2,3(4): 24-36 month operational billet
y4,5: shore duty - still eligible for IA!

and no, tooth, you dont have to hate contract dentists. just dont get too close, you never know when they will be gone! btw, this info comes from briefs delivered by the deputy chief of the corps and/or the junior detailer. the last one i heard was in October. essentially, BUMED has decided that the idea of contract/GS docs stocking the shore clinics might not be the road to take for long-term success. it remains to be seen if this plan holds for the future and if there is sifficient funding to buy back billets and convert them to AD positions.

LTs are not "more likely to be deployed now" but rather they are (with a few exceptions) going to be deployed. so basically, you'd be looking at something along the lines of this:
y1: AEGD/GPR
y2,3(4): 24-36 month operational billet
y4,5: shore duty - still eligible for IA!

and no, tooth, you dont have to hate contract dentists. just dont get too close, you never know when they will be gone! btw, this info comes from briefs delivered by the deputy chief of the corps and/or the junior detailer. the last one i heard was in October. essentially, BUMED has decided that the idea of contract/GS docs stocking the shore clinics might not be the road to take for long-term success. it remains to be seen if this plan holds for the future and if there is sifficient funding to buy back billets and convert them to AD positions.

I dont know what Navy you guys work in. But if there is a LT on your collar you will be deployed. They are deploying everyone from LT's to CAPT's. The GS/contract thing has been a failure, intergration was even worse. There really isnt a dental corp any more, you work for medical and some nurse some where.

CONUS and OCONUS maps of Military Bases including Marine Bases where dentists in the Navy can be stationed can be found at the following link:

Map of Military Bases Where Navy Dentists Can Serve
NavyMapDental3.jpg

Random question, does anyone know how common it is to borrow from other branches to get dentists where they're needed? Ex: Army dentist to airbase,

Random question, does anyone know how common it is to borrow from other branches to get dentists where they're needed? Ex: Army dentist to airbase,
Not common at all. The only thing I’ve seen remotely close to this was someone from the Navy was accepted to an AF comp residency at the last minute because the AF candidate declined and the AF couldn’t fill it in time. So, long story short, don’t count on it.

Big Hoss