Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted my place as of 11 today! So excited to be attending Marian this fall

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
February 22nd. When I got the call they said now you only have 3 days to commit and pay the deposits instead of 2 weeks
Works for me! That means the list will move faster! Thanks for answering my questions and congratulations again!!!

I got the call this morning! Thank you Bryan and to the student who reviewed my file!
I'm so excited to join everyone this fall!
Hang in there waitlisters I was 2nd quartile since November.

Reactions: 5 users
>,> Brryaannnnnnnnn callll meeee neeexxxxxttttt

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Me too :) Id likely be one of the older people in the class.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Lol. Calm down kids, as long as I am at the school there will be someone older than you. :pompous:

Congrats on your acceptances.

Reactions: 3 users
I personally think being older in medical school is a good thing :)

Reactions: 1 user
I have enjoyed this forum through the cycle, and I really hope more of you regulars are given a spot!

Best of Luck!

I was told I was in the first quartile after my interview in January. Now I see there are people from the second quartile being accepted. Will there still be first quartile acceptances from here on out? What's the process for deciding who is accepted next?

I was told I was in the first quartile after my interview in January. Now I see there are people from the second quartile being accepted. Will there still be first quartile acceptances from here on out? What's the process for deciding who is accepted next?

Who knows, there's a chance you moved into second quartile. Idk, people are saying they select from each quartile and not in a 1 by 1 type fashion. It's a bit confusing.

I think they're just accepting second quartile atm. I think they may draw from 3rd later around late June.

Thanks for that. I wonder what is the likelihood of jumping quartiles. I'm guessing it just depends on the number of applicants. :/

Thanks for that. I wonder what is the likelihood of jumping quartiles. I'm guessing it just depends on the number of applicants. :/

Honestly, at this point I don't know and am moving on with my attention. We all should do similarly and prepare for the worst.

Wonder why they even have a quartile system to start with - if it is going to be changed to whatever !

if that's the case, its better to assign people in general waitlist as in many other schools and assign ranking/quartiles later on in the cycle - At least this will be a less stressful process for applicants!

MU-COM pulls from all quartiles, not necessarily in order, to fill our class according to our mission and goals.

Admissions

Wonder why they even have a quartile system to start with - if it is going to be changed to whatever !

if that's the case, its better to assign people in general waitlist as in many other schools and assign ranking/quartiles later on in the cycle - At least this will be a less stressful process for applicants!

We appreciate the feedback.

MU-COM

MU-COM pulls from all quartiles, not necessarily in order, to fill our class according to our mission and goals.

Admissions
Hello,
Isn't the criteria of who would fit your "mission and goals" already taken into account when you rank candidates in the quartile system? If not, the quartile system is useless and misinforming and should be abolished.

My thought exactly. If the quartile ranking system is not meant to be a system which identifies potential students based on the "missions and goals" of the university, then one of two things should be done. Eliminate the quartile system altogether as PresidentofAnidom suggests above or don't share the ranking with waitlisted applicants at all. Just tell the applicants they have been waitlisted. It should be fairly self explanatory that by ranking candidates in quartiles, and communicating as such, the belief is that a 1st quartile rank would yield a higher likelihood of being pulled off the waitlist than would a 4th quartile ranking. Obviously, based on the statement above, that is clearly not the case.

So my question is, how are we supposed to know what our chances are at this point? I mean, it's great and all for the school to have a book full of students to pick from, but for the applicants we're left essentially in the dark.

I mean I'm more than happy to sit and wait for an admission based purely on the judgement of the committee. But this is really making things stressful and uncertain.

That is the nature of a "waitlist"... Call it quartiles or alternate or whatever... You're gonna have to wait with no expected contact until your status changes. It sucks but that's how waitlists work. I'm not sure what you're expecting Marian to do for you about it? It's nice they even give you some idea of where you are at all.

That is the nature of a "waitlist"... Call it quartiles or alternate or whatever... You're gonna have to wait with no expected contact until your status changes. It sucks but that's how waitlists work. I'm not sure what you're expecting Marian to do for you about it? It's nice they even give you some idea of where you are at all.
You totally missed the point. They don't give you an "idea" as you mentioned. The quartile system means nothing to the candidates if they don't pick candidates in sequence according to rank. Furthermore, if they can slide candidates up and down the ranks, why bother telling the candidates in the first place. Call it a wait list period and be done with it. Don't mislead people.

I understand the quartile system as I have had multiple friends waitlisted and I interviewed and was accepted at this school. Quartile or waitlist... They don't OWE it to you to tell you anything. That's how the process works. They were very upfront with the fact that you will be told your status once and then never again.

I understand the quartile system as I have had multiple friends waitlisted and I interviewed and was accepted at this school. Quartile or waitlist... They don't OWE it to you to tell you anything. That's how the process works. They were very upfront with the fact that you will be told your status once and then never again.

Actually they didn't tell us until recently that they select not based on quartile position.

So essentially not only do we not know where we have moved to in the time being. We don't know whether or not that position is actually realistically one where you can get accepted from based on the fact that other people in your quartile are moving.

I mean either way I'm moving on from this all. If they send me an acceptance I'll be happy. If they don't I'll be ready with a reapplication.

With all the stuff you've said about Marian on other forums, maybe you'd be happier going somewhere else besides the "Harvard of osteopathic medicine" anyway. ;) Good luck to you.

What is the use of telling people a status when it is of absolutely no use to the candidate - even if it is once and for all ?!? Guess, need to be in that unreliable position to understand what these people are talking about..

I got waitlisted somewhere else. At other schools you get a letter saying you're waitlisted and nothing again ever until it changes. I'm just saying even if it's not helpful to know your quartile, it's not worse off than how any other schools tell you nothing...

What is the use of telling people a status when it is of absolutely no use to the candidate - even if it is once and for all ?!? Guess, need to be in that unreliable position to understand what these people are talking about..
+1

I got waitlisted somewhere else. At other schools you get a letter saying you're waitlisted and nothing again ever until it changes. I'm just saying even if it's not helpful to know your quartile, it's not worse off than how any other schools tell you nothing...

Not comparing Marian with any other schools - its one of the best schools I have been to: the facilities and everything is awesome. What these people are talking about is the process which could have been more streamlined and reliably informative.
Agree, about few other schools being the same way with the process or may be worse with wait list process - but please understand that there are schools with "better" process as well - as in one of schools where I was wait listed with a rank, and accepted based on how I was ranked before.

I think being told nothing is better than being misled and given false expectations.

Marian is honestly the only school Im interested in. Ive really been hoping to move back to the midwest plus there are several school specific things that hold a lot of meaning for me. I just hope the school takes things like this into consideration when accepting people from the alternate list.

Last edited:

Admissions

While the statement above was made to respond to several earlier posts, it was overly simplified. As a result, it has been misconstrued. Our process is not sinister, misleading, or designed to give applicants false hope.

In the spirit of transparency, here's some more information to clarify:
  • At the end of March, the admissions committee starts its final review of the alternate list. This review lasts for approximately one month. During this time, each file is reviewed again by a committee member who re-reads every piece of information. This review is holistic and includes approximately 20 different metrics. The final review is discussed by the committee. At the conclusion of these reviews, the alternate list is frozen.
  • Around the middle of April, the Office of Enrollment Management asks applicants on the alternate list to confirm their status on the alternate list. Applicants confirm, withdraw, or do not respond.
  • At the last meeting of the year, the admissions committee votes to pull applicants off the alternate list. Since this meeting does not always happen after May 1, the committee does not know how many seats it will have to offer until all the tuition deposits are received. In addition, there are typically also a handful of outstanding offers that still have time to deposit according to AACOMAS traffic guidelines. Because the committee voted to admit specific applicants, those decisions are honored. Accordingly, the class is constantly in flux until the end of May. Thus, the statement "pulls from all quartiles" was used in the earlier post.
  • All applicants (those who confirm and who did not respond) remain on the alternate list until a final decision is rendered. But, because applicants are given at least two reminders to confirm their alternate list status, priority consideration is given to those who follow instructions. For this reason, we skip over some applicants. Thus, the statement "not necessarily in order" was used in the earlier post.
We hope this information is helpful. It will likely generate some additional comments, but it is also important to remember that each medical school has a process that it follows. It may not be a process that all applicants like, but it should be afforded respect. If not, MU-COM is likely not a good fit for that applicant.

Finally, your comments have been helpful. We will take them into consideration for next year's cycle.

Thank you,
Admissions

Last edited:
Alright that offers a bit more clarity. Though I would honestly say that telling us our position after May 1st would be a major help.

Many people do eventually need to consider reapplication and if they're in the end of the list they should be able to understand that and move forward in preparing for reapplication.

But thank you for the clarification.