Many queries for a young med student interested in plastics surgeries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yoyo123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, im currently 18 and im in med school due to i went overseas to a 6 year md program in ireland at the royal college of surgeons.(dont know if you heard of it). Im american born and raised and educated, but my question what is the process of becoming a plastic surgeon after graduating med school? how many years of residency does it take?(3 years of internal medicine and ?) Also i was glancing over some things where it said it is near impossible to become a plastic surgeon especially for a foreign medical graduate...is this true? i am really interested in this field and i dont want to have to be a type of doctor i dont want to be for my life(like staying as a general doctor ) just because plastics was too competitive cause thats really boring.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I guess the first thing you should do is work on your english grammar, as what you just did to my language is offensive.

jdubya said:
I guess the first thing you should do is work on your english grammar, as what you just did to my language is offensive.
whoah, i didnt know this was english class here...you sound like my old fat unmarried pms'y 35 year old ap english teacher who had no life...nice.

Ouch man that sounded a little childish but hey you are 18 I remember what it was like. I am not applying to plastic surgery but I am applying to general surgery but I may consider doing a plastic surgery fellowship. Basically becoming a plastic surgeon can be acheived in one of two ways. (neither one involves 3 years of internal medicine, where di that come from). The first route is the traditional way in which I would have to approach plastics. You first do a 5-7 year general surgery residency (mildly competitive) and then do a 2 year fellowship in plastics. The newest route which happens to be one of the if not the most competitive residency in medicine the combined plastics residency. Basically you apply for a six year program in which your first three years are spent doing general surgery and your last three years are spent doing plastics. Once again I must stress this route is super competitive and each year many US seniors do not get spots, so I would imagine the traditional route would be about the only way for an IMG.