Manipal ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

summerrocks

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi .. guys im new to this .. i was just thinkin of applying to manipal .. cuz my parents told me that its a reputable college in india .. and id get my degree faster over there than here in canada... so what i was wondering is that ... what would i need to do in order to come bac to canada and practise ? I hopee sumone out there can help me because im running out of time to decide and i have no idea.. where to goo ... and i really want to become a doctor but im not as willing to spend 4 years doing bachelors here in canada and then applyin to med school .. not knowing that if im gonna get into it or not.. soo plz let me kno ..
thanx

Members don't see this ad.

Well you dont really save much time. You do 5 years of medical school then you MUST work in a hospital if im correct for 2 years before coming back to the US or Canada. That makes it a total of 7 years compared to 8. Now its for yourself to decide is it worth saving 1 year to live in a foreign country?

also as a NRI you might run into more troubles such as professors being biased towards local students ect....search SDN, you will find many stories on peoples time spend in India during medical school.

Also it will be extremely difficult for you to land a top notch residency program in the US or Canada being a foreign medical doctor. Weight the pro and cons and decide. Good luck with your endeavors

TWO LONG YEARS have passed and the problem is still not yet resolved. I really do not know where else to apply except for manipal. I really don't understand how could a school with such good facilities and reputation stand the chance to be derecognised? What are the reasons mci chose to derecognise it, and why hasn't mci at least tell out the reasons? HELP~

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, im new to this as well... and im from canada also.... i havent heard of any1 going back to india for higher education unless they hav got a canadian undergrad degree and want to do medicine in india. Im really stressed out because i dunno if im making the right decision applying to india from high school and honestly with the manipal problem going on, i dunno where else to apply... ppl are saying that the best uni's in india r JIPMER, AIIMS, CMC Vellore but none of them take the NRI category... i really need some guidance, plz help me

Can someone who is at KMC Manipal or has gone there shed some light on the differences in terms of college life when comparing American colleges to Indian colleges, especially KMC Manipal?

thanks for finding all of those! A couple of the posts that I had not seen before did give me some insight on life at KMC Manipal.
Anyone else with views on college life in India, specifically KMC Manipal (since it is probably different to some extent due to the large number of NRIs), compared to the typical undergrad and medical school experience in the United States?

what up CA NRI. you can't compare college life in india for an nri and college life here in US. if you're looking for a good time in college, dont go to india. if u want to workhard, get your MD then go to india. i grew up in LA, went to punjab for my MD. all done now. its a long experience, but no regrets.
theres a lot of politics involved in india, so if your not street smart, or cant speak the language, it may be a difficult.
plus there is beginning to become very competitive for residency in america for a FMG. lot of people r coming from all over the world to US for residency; system is becoming inundated with FMGs. also US med. schools are increasing medical seats by 30%, so there will be even more competition in the next decade.
indian Med schools are 6 year programs, so you dont know what will happen by that time.

think about doing your undergrad in US. do you best. try for a US med school when u grad. if it doesnt work out, go to the carribean.

good luck homie.

alright I've read the last two posts and didn't agree with them completely so here goes... This is completely my opinion though...
I come from LA too and I'm a punjabi but I'm a final year student In Kempegowda Institute of Medical Sciences ( KIMS) in Bangalore... Now I don't think that it would be fair to say you don't have fun here. True the experience is way different than if I would be at home in LA. Yes it was a bit tough to get adjusted to the changes... which were many. But had I stayed in the US, I wouldn't have friends from all over the world. I have met people from Iraq, quwait, mauritius, australia, switzerland and a whole lot of other places here. It's awesome the amount of exposure you get when you leave your home country. Secondly, its not like I'm not goin out with friends and tearing it up. I mean me and my friends still go out and party occasionally and we still go out to eat... both ethnic and continental restaurants.... I mean life in Bangalore is not all that bad. Of course it isn't home, but it's still fun.
Secondly, Coming to Manipal. I dunno about other people's experiences but I can say that if I'm going to college somewhere I would like to go to a big city. A place that has things to do ya know. Manipal is such a smallll place and basically its only on the map cuz of the medical college. There is hardly anything to do there. There's like 2 or 3 pubs/clubs and like 1 theater. I honestly recommend coming to a city for your education. You will have a lot more opportunities to relax and destress when you aren't studying. And being an American, I know that is really important. True, Manipal has the twinning program and a lot of NRI's, but whats the point when you can't enjoy the time there, and it takes you 7 years to complete. The weather there is horrible too... its very humid and hot... but as reconcilliation you get a/c hostels... so if you stay in ur room you wont have to deal with it. IMO come to bangalore and study in KIMS or Ramaiah.... or any other big city.

Hi dggopal. I'm a senior in high school right now (in oregon) and i came to bangalore last winter to visit some of the colleges there. I personally liked ms ramiah the most, i also looked at manipal. I want to go to india for college because i think it would be a good experience, since i've lived in the us all my life and plan on coming back. The only thing im scared about is getting residency??? Is it really really hard? I know a lot of ppl do it. Im not scared about the adjustment since i stayed in bangalore for awhile and seemed to like it (also i have relatives there) Can you give me alittle info on how to get resideny after med school in india? Is it really hard? is there anything else i can do (besides study hard) to increase my chances of getting residency while in med school? (volunteer etc.) thanks.

Can someone who is at KMC Manipal or has gone there shed some light on the differences in terms of college life when comparing American colleges to Indian colleges, especially KMC Manipal?

Hey i went to manipal. it was ok. i finished 6 years of time there last august. it was long.... and i passed each year without failing but still, six years is a long time. i kinda wished i that i had stayed here coz now i gotta find residency and the process for IMGs here is rough. i either have to move to the US and try there or wait here and keep trying as the exams are only like twice a year. but still, i think manipal is much better then the caribbean. the quality of education in India is great and you get to see ALOT of patients.

Good luck

As stargrit already mentions... getting a residency as a FMG is pretty tough... But there are plus sides.... If you are an american citizen you have preference over all foreigners and some hospitals wont even employ foreign students because of all the visa crap and stuff... but even with this is will be really competitive and you have to have good scores on the USMLE's to get a good residency.
Another thing that you want to make sure you do is to pass each year on time... When you come back to america and apply for residency they will look at how many attempts it took you to pass and at worst you should only fail any class once... ya know... I mean its pretty understandable... No one will want to employ someone that took 5 attempts to pass one subject... So study hard and clear with good scores...
Also, when time comes for internship.... Get it transferred to america so you can get that American clinical experience! This will give you a big one up over other foreign grads... and they will ask you for this when you go for your interview or when they are looking at ur resume. So yeah get the american clinical experience.... but even without this it is not impossible.... so dont worry if you can't do this. It helps to get your USMLE step 1 out of the way after 2nd year to get this done. because you have to take step 1 to get any clerkship( rotations) in the US. so yeah get step one out of the way after 2nd year... shouldn't be that hard considering 3rd year in India is pretty easy... But you have to make sure you don't fail any classes in second year so study hard!
Other than that... prey!

If any of you need help getting ur apps into KIMS or Ramaiah or getting a seat just PM me and I can help you.

This goes out to NRIs and Foreigners especially in Manipal who can't speak the local language of Udupi: How then will the interns be communicating with the patients if they cant speak the local language? Wouldn't the training be wasted and not much will be gained? Are there any solution to this problem? Advice needed...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, do a lot of kids not pass on time??? How different is the studies there?? I took ap classes in high school so will that help me out??

why do people not want to go to inida for med school? Is it just the sanitation and enviromental conditions?

Hey dggopal
I am a student at KMC, I got held back in my first year in 2 subjects... but i cleared them in my casual year with no hic ups... Can u tell me if this is going to pretty much diminish my chances at getting a residency? I am hoping for a FP or IM with physic fellowship in the US. I am a US citizen as well... I mean If i get a decent score on my USMLE's would they still throw my app out on that basis of my failing my first year? By the way, I came right after high school:(...

As stargrit already mentions... getting a residency as a FMG is pretty tough... But there are plus sides.... If you are an american citizen you have preference over all foreigners and some hospitals wont even employ foreign students because of all the visa crap and stuff... but even with this is will be really competitive and you have to have good scores on the USMLE's to get a good residency.
Another thing that you want to make sure you do is to pass each year on time... When you come back to america and apply for residency they will look at how many attempts it took you to pass and at worst you should only fail any class once... ya know... I mean its pretty understandable... No one will want to employ someone that took 5 attempts to pass one subject... So study hard and clear with good scores...
Also, when time comes for internship.... Get it transferred to america so you can get that American clinical experience! This will give you a big one up over other foreign grads... and they will ask you for this when you go for your interview or when they are looking at ur resume. So yeah get the american clinical experience.... but even without this it is not impossible.... so dont worry if you can't do this. It helps to get your USMLE step 1 out of the way after 2nd year to get this done. because you have to take step 1 to get any clerkship( rotations) in the US. so yeah get step one out of the way after 2nd year... shouldn't be that hard considering 3rd year in India is pretty easy... But you have to make sure you don't fail any classes in second year so study hard!
Other than that... prey!

If any of you need help getting ur apps into KIMS or Ramaiah or getting a seat just PM me and I can help you.

well as most foreigners do, I too failed the first time around in my first year exams.... To answer two questions at once... The studies in india are pretty rigourous and very different from america... and the lifestyle change along with our relative immaturity as fresh out of high school students pretty much sets us up to falter a bit in our exams here for the first time around... IMO. But i mean its no big deal as long as you pass ur exams on ur second attempt.
I have asked around and basically its not a really big deal if you fail once and then pass the next time... but don't make it a habbit. When applying for a residency they will look at your scores mostly on the USMLE's mostly and if you have failed a few times they will ask what happened... You should be prepared to answer that question. But I suppose it is pretty understandable that they don't want to give a residency to someone that has failed one subject like 5 or 6 times... right? Righ! So try ur best and if you do fail once... make sure you dont do it again... STUDY!

Thanks dggopal, that really helps! Its good to know there are other people in the same boat. lol

thanks again.

Anyone goin for KMC this August? And anyone declined the offer? Or accepted the offer?

i might be going. but to the international program

hey guys...im from canada too...im not doing medicine but pharmacy instead for the same reasons....money and time. ive applied to manipal and will most probably be attending this july. im leaving from toronto around a week before. i was brought up in canada but went to india for grade 9 and 10 so im hoping that will give me an advantage over the culture-shock. im really hoping its a good school i would appreciate any advice. thanx. is there anyway i can survive there and just study without becoming a social outcast?

Try and get to know some locals in ur class.... they won't get ur jokes and u won't get theres... but if you try and mix with them they can be a really big help when it comes to studying techniques and they help a lot when it comes to knowing whats important and whats not for exams and which books to use and all sorts of other stuff that I can't think of off the top of my head... and it helps remove that NRI label that is tatooed on our foreheads... so yea....
Learn the local language as fast as you can... come second year you will have clinical exposure.... No real way you can get a decent patient history without being able to converse with your patient directly... and come exam time you really dont have time for a translator... final year exams are timed.... by the time you get the patients basic history translated and written down you will run out of time....
Don't get caught talking to girls in front of your teachers...ur teachers already think you are a slacker and u just want to party cuz ur NRI... and the whole girls and guys talking is kinda looked down upon by teachers here so keep a low profile.... have fun and do what ever you want but just dont do it in front of the teachers...
Photocopy ur textbooks and take it into class... read from that in class cuz you wont understand the lectures anyways but you still need to go for attendance.... no point in wasting time.... dont get caught though... lol...
I think thats should help...

hey thanx. yea its not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. i mean its a different country so you cant expect it to be like the states and canada. i really appreciate the advice!

i'm really worried about the weather there (in manipal)...is it really really hot? I've always lived in cold places so im not that used to hot weather :(

Manipal is realllllly humid and gets realllly hot during the monsoon season... imagine warm rain.. Lots of it... lol... thats a big reason I didn't go there.... I'm from Los Angeles... sunny skies and beautiful weather... but i mean the NRI hostels are equiped with a/c so at least you have that... although im pretty sure your classes arent so u still gotta deal with that....
COME TO BANGALORE!!!!!!!!! weather is awesome... and u have hindi/urdu speaking patients and quite a few english speaking patients...

NOT TO MENTION KFC I need my fried chicken!!! :D

Hey guys .. if anyone out there could let me know anything possibly about the KMC , Mangalore .. the campus .. they facilities the enviroment is it better than being in manipal or mangalore . Thank you Anything would be a great help if anyone is from mangalore

manipoal has been derecognised you can see mci website now. it says that it is recognised only for degrees granted till 2008.

Number of Results Found: 65

Recog. Status: ALL
State : Karnataka
University : Manipal University
Go Back
Course Name State Name and Address of
Medical College / Medical Institution
Management Year of Inception of college Annual Intake
(Seats)
Status of
MCI Recognition
- MBBS - Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore Trust 1955 250 Recognized When granted in or before the year 2008 - MBBS - Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Trust 1953 250 Recognized When granted in or before the year 2008 Diploma in Dermatology, Venereology And Leprosy Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore Trust 1955 3 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped Diploma in Dermatology, Venereology And Leprosy Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Trust 1953 2 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped Diploma in Anesthesia Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore Trust 1955 12 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped Diploma in Anesthesia Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Trust 1953 12 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped Diploma in Child Health Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore Trust 1955 5 Admission stopped Diploma in Child Health Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Trust 1953 2 Admission stopped Diploma in Clinical Pathology Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore Trust 1955 12 Recognized when granted on or after Jul'1976 Diploma in Obstetrics & Gynaecology Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore Trust 1955 5 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped Diploma in Obstetrics & Gynaecology Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Trust 1953 12 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped Diploma in Ophthalmology Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore Trust 1955 2 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped Diploma in Ophthalmology Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Trust 1953 10 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped Diploma in Orthopaedics Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore Trust 1955 5 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped Diploma in Orthopaedics Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Trust 1953 5 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped Diploma in Oto-Rhino-Laryngology Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore Trust 1955 1 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped Diploma in Oto-Rhino-Laryngology Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Trust 1953 2 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped Diploma in Psychological Medicine Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Trust 1953 6 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped Diploma in Radio Therapy Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Trust 1953 - Admission Stopped Diploma in Radio-Diagnosis Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Trust 1953 8 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped DM - Cardiology Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Trust 1953 1 Recognized DM - Neurology Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Trust 1953 2 Recognized M.Ch - Cardio Thoracic Surgery Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Trust 1953 1 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped M.Ch - Neuro Surgery Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Trust 1953 - Recognized M.Ch - Paediatric Surgery Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Trust 1953 1 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped M.Ch - Urology/Genito-Urinary Surgery Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Trust 1953 1 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped MD - Anaesthesiology Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore Trust 1955 10 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped MD - Anaesthesiology Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Trust 1953 6 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped MD - Anatomy Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore Trust 1955 2 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped MD - Anatomy Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Trust 1953 2 on or after 2001
Recommended for de-recognition
MD - Bio-Chemistry Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore Trust 1955 6 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped MD - Bio-Chemistry Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Trust 1953 2 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped MD - Community Medicine Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Trust 1953 2 when granted on or after Jul'94
MD - Dermatology Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Trust 1953 2 by
nomenclature of Skin & VD
MD - Dermatology , Venereology & Leprosy Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore Trust 1955 3 by nomenclature of skin & VD.
MD - Forensic Medicine Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Trust 1953 2 when granted on or after Dec'87
MD - General Medicine Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore Trust 1955 20 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped MD - General Medicine Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Trust 1953 20 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped MD - Hospital Administration Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Trust 1953 2 when granted on or after Jun'90
MD - Microbiology Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore Trust 1955 1 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped MD - Microbiology Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Trust 1953 1 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped MD - Obstetrtics & Gynaecology Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore Trust 1955 10 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped MD - Obstetrtics & Gynaecology Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Trust 1953 9 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped MD - Paediatrics Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore Trust 1955 8 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped MD - Paediatrics Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Trust 1953 7 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped MD - Pathology Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore Trust 1955 6 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped MD - Pathology Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Trust 1953 6 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped MD - Pharmacology Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore Trust 1955 3 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped MD - Pharmacology Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Trust 1953 4 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped MD - Physiology Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore Trust 1955 3 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped MD - Physiology Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Trust 1953 1 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped MD - Psychiatry Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Trust 1953 3 Recognized MD - Radio Diagnosis Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Trust 1953 4 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped MD - Radiothrapy Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Trust 1953 2 Recognized MD - Social & Preventive Medicine / Community Medicine Karnataka Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Trust 1953 2 Recommended for de-recognition.Admission stopped