Manipal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

electricflash91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if I should go to Manipal for MBBS degree? Right now I am pre-med freshman student in New York. My gpa is pretty low for first semester; like below a 3.0. I don't know if I can get into med school anywhere in the United States. I was wondering if Manipal would be a better option for me, as I am a NRI? I know the whole situation with NRI and them getting drunk and wasted, but still if you are motivated and can control yourself, I am pretty sure you could do good in Manipal. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Manipal is an excellent med school. Routinely ranked in the top 10 in India. But if you cannot hack undergrad here in the US, you will have a very difficult time doing MBBS in India. The kids there will be way smart and hard working. The study and exams are very different from what you are used to in the US. Lot more of memorizing and less of understanding. My suggestion would be to go to Manipal and do a year of BS at a local science college just to get used to the system there. Then join MBBS and hit the ground running.

When looking for potential residents the PD at a US residency program will generally prefer a MD from a US school, next a DO, then a foreigner from a foreign school and lastly a US citizen who went overseas for med school. If you can't get into med school here in the US, you are probably not going to be very good material for a top residency program here when you return from doing med school overseas.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi I was wondering if I should go to Manipal for MBBS degree? Right now I am pre-med freshman student in New York. My gpa is pretty low for first semester; like below a 3.0. I don't know if I can get into med school anywhere in the United States. I was wondering if Manipal would be a better option for me, as I am a NRI? I know the whole situation with NRI and them getting drunk and wasted, but still if you are motivated and can control yourself, I am pretty sure you could do good in Manipal. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

1. You have many more semesters to get your grades up.
1A. Gap in your grades can be fulfilled with meaningful ECs, research etc.
2. If your heart is all set to serve or alleviate pain and suffering through scientific knowledge, it will be to your advantage to understand and do well in all pre-req science courses that is required.
3. In serving the sick DO will be much easier transition than getting a residency as an IMG.
4. USMLE score is not the final decision maker for your residency.
5. You may waste lot of extra years to get a residency. For example avg timing seems like, 4.5 yrs MBBS+1 Yr Indian residency+Yr to prepare for USMLE+1 year adv residency app. This could add up a lot of extra years.
6. If you are not able to increase your grades in college, chances are you may also have difficulty doing medicine in India or America. Your difficulty level will continue while you attempt to take USMLE exams.
7. You may check what's involved in going to a DO school. I have heard it's very rewarding and satisfying career giving lot of options to do well in your career.

Good luck