Make a note

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toxic Avenger

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is notepool? I've heard that term thrown around.

Also, what schools use resources like Blackboard?

Members don't see this ad.

Notepool is a group in which one person is assigned to print out notes for a given lecture, so everyone doesn't have to. Since it's hard to take notes as quickly as the lecture comes, the notetaker may have to listen to audio or watch video after the class in order to have decent notes. The participants then pool the notes to have a complete set for the course.

In the case of my class, Notepool was a way for me to spend $100 that I'll never get back.

Nat

... Notepool was a way for me to spend $100 that I'll never get back...
That's basically the way I see it^. I think people's value of pooled notes depends on their learning style.

As was mentioned, note pool is just central notes on lectures for a course. Usually one or two good students will take good notes in a course and type them up. If you were in the class and are a good student, you probably took very similar notes. It's my thinking that I learn and remember better if I listen to the prof, take my own notes, and review them (you've probably heard those sayings that you remeber X% of what you read, Y% of what you hear, etc). My attendance is pretty good, but I just double check with a friend who takes good notes if I have a gap in one area or missed a lecture.

Then again, for someone who skips a lot of lectures or doesn't pay attention, then subscribing and reviewing a note pool or listening to the recorded lectures might be the only way to pass in courses where the professor tests heavily from hints and info he provides during lectures.

Note pool might also be nice to cross-reference if you are a student who tries to write down every single thing said in lecture.

Barry uses Blackboard for professors to post syllabus, lecture PowerPoint files, announcements, grades, etc. Almost all professors use it (a couple adjunct profs don't yet but should next year). I know DMU uses BB too from browsing their site; I'm not sure about the other pod schools...

NYCPM has something similar to blackboard if not the actual thing. They just started it and I never had a class on it so I do not know if it is helpful or not. I saw many other students using it though.

It depends on the class year to decide whether or not to do a notepool. It used to be supported by the student government and work study but that just discouraged people from coming to class so now there are no notes unless the class organizes it.