Loyola or NYMC....which would you choose

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskie99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I lucky enough to be accepted both places and I am having a REALLY hard time deciding between these two school and I could REALLY use some help. Here is what I am thinking. They are both about a 30 minute drive into either Chicago or New York so they are equal in that respect to me, and they are both right next to a hospital. Both hospitals also have a pediatric Ronald Mcdonald House as. Also both schools seem to match pretty well. In addition both student bodies seemed cool, relaxed, non-competitive and helpful.

Loyola
Pros-I guess it is considered the "better school" (Am I right about this??!?)
It is about 5-6K cheaper a year
I loved there lecture hall and their gym
there seems to be a strong sense of school pride
Cons- it is very far from home (I am from CT)
No on campus housing
Their library sucks

NYMC
Pros- I loved their anatomy lab and their library is MUCH nicer
Their is on campus housing
It is only an hour and twenty minutes from home
the idea of moving to New York City 3rd and 4th year is slightly more exciting than Chicago
Cons-it is more expensive
it seemed to me that for a lot of students that matriculated this was their ONLY choice and I am not sure how I feel about this
I did not get the same school spirit feeling here

Thank you so much for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,

So I lucky enough to be accepted both places and I am having a REALLY hard time deciding between these two school and I could REALLY use some help. Here is what I am thinking. They are both about a 30 minute drive into either Chicago or New York so they are equal in that respect to me, and they are both right next to a hospital. Both hospitals also have a pediatric Ronald Mcdonald House as. Also both schools seem to match pretty well. In addition both student bodies seemed cool, relaxed, non-competitive and helpful.

Loyola
Pros-I guess it is considered the "better school" (Am I right about this??!?)
It is about 5-6K cheaper a year
I loved there lecture hall and their gym
there seems to be a strong sense of school pride
Cons- it is very far from home (I am from CT)
No on campus housing
Their library sucks

NYMC
Pros- I loved their anatomy lab and their library is MUCH nicer
Their is on campus housing
It is only an hour and twenty minutes from home
the idea of moving to New York City 3rd and 4th year is slightly more exciting than Chicago
Cons-it is more expensive
it seemed to me that for a lot of students that matriculated this was their ONLY choice and I am not sure how I feel about this
I did not get the same school spirit feeling here

Thank you so much for your help!

I'm not familiar with either school, but I'll throw in my two cents with regards to my own decision-making process. When it comes down to it, an accredited US medical school is going to allow you to become an MD. I'm a firm believer that the student makes the school and not vice versa. Go where you are going to be happiest, because being happy means you'll be able to achieve your full potential. If that's being close to your family, then go to NYMC. If that's being more financially secure, then go to Loyola. At the end of the day, each school is going to supply you with the resources to become a physician. It's just your call where and how you want to spend the next four years.

:luck:

I'm not familiar with either school, but I'll throw in my two cents with regards to my own decision-making process. When it comes down to it, an accredited US medical school is going to allow you to become an MD. I'm a firm believer that the student makes the school and not vice versa. Go where you are going to be happiest, because being happy means you'll be able to achieve your full potential. If that's being close to your family, then go to NYMC. If that's being more financially secure, then go to Loyola. At the end of the day, each school is going to supply you with the resources to become a physician. It's just your call where and how you want to spend the next four years.

:luck:

Thanks so much for the advice...this is so stressful, but I guess this is a good problem to have. I know I am very lucky.

Members don't see this ad :)
Having visited both with the same option, I would choose Stritch hands down. I know that rank isn't everything but it's definitely got happier students, I noticed that too. Also, having gone to undergrad in Chicago, I remember running in to a lot of the students from Stritch in bars and they seemed to have a great schedule. NYMC gives almost all of it's tests on Monday's so students never really get a weekend off. Trust me, if you're going to med school you definitely want as many breaks as possible for your sanity. Also, loyola has a great reputation and the students seem to match really well. They definitely harbor a higher caliber of students. Plus, Chicago is a fantastic city and you'll always have something to do, Valhalla is a ways away from anything. That's my 2 cents

Having visited both with the same option, I would choose Stritch hands down. I know that rank isn't everything but it's definitely got happier students, I noticed that too. Also, having gone to undergrad in Chicago, I remember running in to a lot of the students from Stritch in bars and they seemed to have a great schedule. NYMC gives almost all of it's tests on Monday's so students never really get a weekend off. Trust me, if you're going to med school you definitely want as many breaks as possible for your sanity. Also, loyola has a great reputation and the students seem to match really well. They definitely harbor a higher caliber of students. Plus, Chicago is a fantastic city and you'll always have something to do, Valhalla is a ways away from anything. That's my 2 cents

You basically said exactly what I was thinking, I am just a l little unsure of moving so far away from home :(

my 2 cents- I am finishing my 2nd yr at NYMC btw. I have been very happy here. I think we socialize and are happier than most other med students are. Bc we have on campus housing you get to know other med students very well the first 2 yrs and are a very tight knit group. We have lots of bar nights, ski trips, wine tastings etc. We also do have lots of weekends off. I go to the city usually 2 weekends/ month (im also moving there in july for third yr! yippee!!) First yr exams are every 3 weeks and usually on thurs/fri actually. 2nd yrs only have exams every 6 weeks. Also, don't underestimate our students "caliber". We do above average on boards and have pretty awesome matches. Also, while there are people who came here bc it was their only acceptance (which you will find at most med schools), I know a lot of people who chose to come here over other schools for one reason or another- personally I chose NYMC over SLU bc I felt more at home here/safer and I wanted to be able to live in NYC rather than St. Louis. The one thing I will caution about NYMC is that 2nd yr is a TON of self study! SOOO, if you prefer to be in lecture all day, and thats how u learn, 2nd yr would be terrible here (I prefer not going to lecture so I am fine with self study). Never been to Loyola so I can't comment on the pros and cons at that school.
All in all, med school will be what you make of it, and I think its better to choose where you will be happier, bc at the end of the day when you leave school, you need to be able to enjoy yourself to stay sane for the next 4 yrs! best of luck in your decision!

my 2 cents- I am finishing my 2nd yr at NYMC btw. I have been very happy here. I think we socialize and are happier than most other med students are. Bc we have on campus housing you get to know other med students very well the first 2 yrs and are a very tight knit group. We have lots of bar nights, ski trips, wine tastings etc. We also do have lots of weekends off. I go to the city usually 2 weekends/ month (im also moving there in july for third yr! yippee!!) First yr exams are every 3 weeks and usually on thurs/fri actually. 2nd yrs only have exams every 6 weeks. Also, don't underestimate our students "caliber". We do above average on boards and have pretty awesome matches. Also, while there are people who came here bc it was their only acceptance (which you will find at most med schools), I know a lot of people who chose to come here over other schools for one reason or another- personally I chose NYMC over SLU bc I felt more at home here/safer and I wanted to be able to live in NYC rather than St. Louis. The one thing I will caution about NYMC is that 2nd yr is a TON of self study! SOOO, if you prefer to be in lecture all day, and thats how u learn, 2nd yr would be terrible here (I prefer not going to lecture so I am fine with self study). Never been to Loyola so I can't comment on the pros and cons at that school.
All in all, med school will be what you make of it, and I think its better to choose where you will be happier, bc at the end of the day when you leave school, you need to be able to enjoy yourself to stay sane for the next 4 yrs! best of luck in your decision!

Thanks for the input this is going to be a hard deccision

Hey! I will be attending Loyola next year and depending on where you live it is much less than 30 minutes from downtown. A good portion of students live east of Stritch in Oak/Forest Park which are right off the 290 and without traffic, in a car, will get you downtown in 10-15. That coupled with the excellent Blue and Green Metra system makes downtown access from West Chicagoland very doable and cheap.

At first, the lack of a good library at Stritch was a turnoff. However, there are a plethora of study spaces in the main medical building which is off the wall gorgeous and comfortable. A student told me the chairs in some rooms are $500 each haha??? Empty lecture halls and break out rooms more than suffice for the lack of a stellar library. Also, the open nature of lecture halls and accessible white boards in smaller classrooms encourages collaborative study. There are no reference books in these classrooms like there would be in a library. But, honestly, when was the last time you checked out a book from a library :shrug:? (Almost) Everything is online!

Good luck in your decision process and hopefully I'll see you next year!

Hey! I will be attending Loyola next year and depending on where you live it is much less than 30 minutes from downtown. A good portion of students live east of Stritch in Oak/Forest Park which are right off the 290 and without traffic, in a car, will get you downtown in 10-15. That coupled with the excellent Blue and Green Metra system makes downtown access from West Chicagoland very doable and cheap.

At first, the lack of a good library at Stritch was a turnoff. However, there are a plethora of study spaces in the main medical building which is off the wall gorgeous and comfortable. A student told me the chairs in some rooms are $500 each haha??? Empty lecture halls and break out rooms more than suffice for the lack of a stellar library. Also, the open nature of lecture halls and accessible white boards in smaller classrooms encourages collaborative study. There are no reference books in these classrooms like there would be in a library. But, honestly, when was the last time you checked out a book from a library :shrug:? (Almost) Everything is online!

Good luck in your decision process and hopefully I'll see you next year!

Thanks for the advice...I get what you are saying about the libs, but it would just be nice to have a nice library in addition to they other places at the med school...that being said I guess you cant have it all.

Thanks for the advice...I get what you are saying about the libs, but it would just be nice to have a nice library in addition to they other places at the med school...that being said I guess you cant have it all.

Congrats on having acceptances. I am on a few waitlists and I would happily take your Loyola spot (or another acceptance!) :D

Congrats on having acceptances. I am on a few waitlists and I would happily take your Loyola spot (or another acceptance!) :D

So does that mean you would prefer loyola over NYMC...also don't worry in less than two weeks thoose of us with more then one acceptance will HAVE to make a decision=waitlist movement...GOOD LUCK!!

Just to offer another perspective… I’ll likely be attending NYMC and I absolutely loved it when I interviewed. The campus is beautiful and the whole Medical Education Center – main building with the lecture halls, library, anatomy lab, and modules rooms – is amazing. The library and anatomy lab are basically where you’ll be spending the majority of first and second year, so why not love it? The schools are academically comparable and NYMC students match really well. As for location, NYC is super accessible from NYMC (and many students live in the city for third and fourth years) and it is certainly close to CT (I grew up there too). One issue is cost, and 5k a year isn’t trivial, but it isn’t enough to outweigh other considerations… Congrats and good luck.

So does that mean you would prefer loyola over NYMC...also don't worry in less than two weeks thoose of us with more then one acceptance will HAVE to make a decision=waitlist movement...GOOD LUCK!!

Thanks!

Not sure about Loyola vs NYMC, as I didn't interview @ NYMC.

However, at my interviews there were people (who also interviewed @ NYMC) who really liked it. For the clinical years you have more options I think, especially in Manhattan.

Also think about whether you like the Mid-west 'atmosphere' vs east coast. There is a big difference - if you know what I mean.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted to both of these schools also and I am choosing Stritch because I feel like it's a better fit for me. Both schools were nice, but Loyola just stood out above the rest to me. The student body seemed so happy and non-competitive and i would love to learn in that kind of atmosphere. I met some really nice students at NYMC too, but at loyola, even the faculty and staff are so warm and welcoming in a way that i didn't feel at NYMC. I did love the anatomy lab at NYMC and that they have on campus housing, but Loyola's classrooms and facilities are beautiful and the Oak Park/Forest Park area is nice. (although it is a little stressful trying to find housing while being so far away) For me, I like Chicago MUCH more than NYC. NYC is overwhelming to me (I'm from a small town), but Chi-town feels more manageable. But that is just a personal preference.

As far as being far away from home, NYMC was much farther from my home than Loyola, so that might factor into it some. However, Loyola is still 9 hours from where my parents live and that will be a big change, but I believe SSOM is worth it. I am so excited when I think about starting school at Loyola in the fall.

I hope my little 2 cents was helpful.

Also a 2nd yr at NYMC and I will echo what most have been saying about choosing a school where you'll be most happy. For me being close to home and having the opportunity to live in NYC were huge considerations(I'm also moving to NYC in July and got 6/7 rotations in Manhattan at Metropolitan Hospital and Lenox Hill, and 1 in the bronx). I get not everyone will have similar feelings on that but thats what was important to me.

Thank you everyone so much for all you responses...I guess you can see why I am having such a hard time, considering the fact that they are both great choices...ahh maybe the answer will just come to me sometime in the next week.

My dad went to New York Medical College and my uncle to Loyola, so this is a funny thread! They both loved their alma maters (my uncle had a three year program), so the good news is you'll be happy at either place. However, these were the two big cons I saw when I interviewed at NYMC:

1. You aren't going to be in the city your 3rd and 4th years, necessarily. They've lost all but one of their hospitals in the city, and they're working on gaining new hospitals in upper New York. Not so exciting.

2. They're having big financial issues. I doubt it will impact you directly, but it's a bit disconcerting.

The students did seem very close knit and had a lot of fun while I was there, but I withdrew immediately upon being accepted to another medical school. My dad agrees it isn't the school he went to - also the buildings were brand new thirty years ago. :) I know nothing about Loyola (I didn't apply), so I can't give any insight there.

Good luck!

Does anyone see any negatives in Loyola? Mostly people have said only good things about it...which I appreciate, but it seems from this thread the choice is becoming pretty clear

So I did not interview at NYMC and cannot really say any +/- about that school. However, I (personally) don't think that the quality of anatomy lab should really come into play in a decision making process. Yes, you will spend a lot of time in there, but at the end of the day it is an anatomy lab. Whether you are dissecting on a shiny new table or an older one, I doubt you will notice. Other than that I have nothing really to add. I'm biased towards Loyola b/c I will be there come July. Good luck with your tough decision!

Does anyone see any negatives in Loyola? Mostly people have said only good things about it...which I appreciate, but it seems from this thread the choice is becoming pretty clear

Ok I will try to think of something negative. Hmmmmmm.

1. If you want to live in the city (like near downtown) its like a 20 minute commute to Stritch everyday since it is in Maywood. But, you will be going the opposite direction as traffic since people flock to the city in the morning which would be the opposite case for you.

2. Doesn't have an Emergency Medicine residency so if you are interested in that there is no comfort of having a higher chance to match in your home program. That being said there are I think 5 EM residencies in the Chicago area and at least three are highly regarded (Cook County, Northwestern and UChicago). Hellllooooo away rotations that aren't so away.

3. White Castle is across the street. Now this can be a positive or negative. If you need some comfort food it is right there for you. But eating a few sliders likely has the same nutritional content as pure gasoline.

4. It is surrounded by like 7 cemeteries. Juxtaposition much???

Honestly, Huskie those negatives are the best I can do. Loyola blew away every other school (some top 10 and 20 programs) I interviewed at. Loyola is the perfect mix of community, collegiality, location, patient population and more. Not to mention the administration is incredibly helpful and friendly.

Ok I will try to think of something negative. Hmmmmmm.

1. If you want to live in the city (like near downtown) its like a 20 minute commute to Stritch everyday since it is in Maywood. But, you will be going the opposite direction as traffic since people flock to the city in the morning which would be the opposite case for you.

2. Doesn't have an Emergency Medicine residency so if you are interested in that there is no comfort of having a higher chance to match in your home program. That being said there are I think 5 EM residencies in the Chicago area and at least three are highly regarded (Cook County, Northwestern and UChicago). Hellllooooo away rotations that aren't so away.

3. White Castle is across the street. Now this can be a positive or negative. If you need some comfort food it is right there for you. But eating a few sliders likely has the same nutritional content as pure gasoline.

4. It is surrounded by like 7 cemeteries. Juxtaposition much???

Honestly, Huskie those negatives are the best I can do. Loyola blew away every other school (some top 10 and 20 programs) I interviewed at. Loyola is the perfect mix of community, collegiality, location, patient population and more. Not to mention the administration is incredibly helpful and friendly.

I really appreciate your input...I do totally agree with you...and the more and more I think about it moving away from home for a while may not be such a bad thing after all

My dad went to New York Medical College and my uncle to Loyola, so this is a funny thread! They both loved their alma maters (my uncle had a three year program), so the good news is you'll be happy at either place. However, these were the two big cons I saw when I interviewed at NYMC:

1. You aren't going to be in the city your 3rd and 4th years, necessarily. They've lost all but one of their hospitals in the city, and they're working on gaining new hospitals in upper New York. Not so exciting.

2. They're having big financial issues. I doubt it will impact you directly, but it's a bit disconcerting.

The students did seem very close knit and had a lot of fun while I was there, but I withdrew immediately upon being accepted to another medical school. My dad agrees it isn't the school he went to - also the buildings were brand new thirty years ago. :) I know nothing about Loyola (I didn't apply), so I can't give any insight there.

Good luck!

NYMC only had 2 hospitals in the city, St. Vincents which is now closed and Metropolitan which they still have. Metropolitan has taken on more spots and we added Lenox Hill which is also in Manhattan. There are also 2 hospitals in the bronx. In terms of students who want to live in NYC 3rd and 4th yrs, most students get that opportunity. The way it is broken down is there are 7 core rotations, and while most people don't get 7/7 in Manhattan in the Bronx (although many including myself did this yr) most if not all get at least 4/7, which would mean living in Manhattan makes the most sense. Please don't comment on the rotation spot topic if you are uninformed about the situation, as people will assume you know what you're talking about. On the topic of finances, I along with other NYMC students have responded to this many times and it is in the NYMC application thread if you'd like to check it out.

Last edited:
NYMC only had 2 hospitals in the city, St. Vincents which is now closed and Metropolitan which they still have. Metropolitan has taken on more spots and we added Lenox Hill which is also in Manhattan. There are also 2 hospitals in the bronx. In terms of students who want to live in NYC 3rd and 4th yrs, most students get that opportunity. The way it is broken down is there are 7 core rotations, and while most people don't get 7/7 in Manhattan in the Bronx (although many including myself did this yr) most if not all get at least 4/7, which would mean living in Manhattan makes the most sense. Please don't comment on the rotation spot topic if you are uninformed about the situation, as people will assume you know what you're talking about. On the topic of finances, I along with other NYMC students have responded to this many times and it is in the NYMC application thread if you'd like to check it out.

I am starting to think I am going to prefer staying close to my family and friends...but would you mind enlightening me on the financial situation? Is this really a problem or is this un-informed people talking about things they don't really know?

The latter. I am a first year and haven't thought or experienced any financial instability. To learn more about the affiliation with other schools look through the NYMC thread for posts by GPlex- It's a good summary of what the student's know.

When it's a matter of the amount of money you're concerned about, don't be concerned. Trust me, it's all a drop in the bucket.

Having said that, I'd say that being close to your family is important if you go to school in the immediate area of your family. Otherwise, to be honest, whether you're in IL or CT, you'll most likely be seeing your family the same amount because of how busy you'll be. Plus we get some nice breaks at Loyola including a Fall and mini-Easter break (yay benefits of having a catholic institution, lol). Granted, it'll be more expensive to see your family for sure if you're in IL, but that'll balance out the savings you will have.

One last thing about the library, very few students go to the library to study at Loyola. All those study rooms you saw (hopefully!) on interview day are where students typically study so there always seems to be adequate quiet space at school to study. Not to mention almost everything you'd need in the library is available electronically online via the medical library's resources.

I have never visited NYMC, but I'd recommend balancing the distance issue also with the vibe you got from the students and the institution. Don't look at the money and go where you think you will be happiest! :)

When it's a matter of the amount of money you're concerned about, don't be concerned. Trust me, it's all a drop in the bucket.

Having said that, I'd say that being close to your family is important if you go to school in the immediate area of your family. Otherwise, to be honest, whether you're in IL or CT, you'll most likely be seeing your family the same amount because of how busy you'll be. Plus we get some nice breaks at Loyola including a Fall and mini-Easter break (yay benefits of having a catholic institution, lol). Granted, it'll be more expensive to see your family for sure if you're in IL, but that'll balance out the savings you will have.

One last thing about the library, very few students go to the library to study at Loyola. All those study rooms you saw (hopefully!) on interview day are where students typically study so there always seems to be adequate quiet space at school to study. Not to mention almost everything you'd need in the library is available electronically online via the medical library's resources.

I have never visited NYMC, but I'd recommend balancing the distance issue also with the vibe you got from the students and the institution. Don't look at the money and go where you think you will be happiest! :)

Very good advice:thumbup:...only thing I'll say is that having grown on up on Long Island, NYMC is only about an hr from home and I was able to see family as much or as little as I felt necessary. Sometimes I would go 2-3wks without seeing my family and other times I'd see them a couple times a wk. The amazing thing about being close to home is that busy or not you'll always have that option.

I really envy that, whoknows :( My parents moved overseas a few years back and now it's like a 12 hour flight to see them. If/when I move to Chicago it'll be a 15 hrs flight .... FML ....!!!

A few of the Loyola students study at Dominican University in River Forest.

NYMC actually had at least four hospitals in the city when my dad went there. One of the big ones was Flower and Fifth Avenue Hospitals, which was the first teaching hospital in the country to be owned by a medical college (http://www.nymc.edu/AboutNYMC/History.html). Another was Bird S Coler, and Lennox Hill was also there when my dad attended. You are right about St. Vincents and Metropolitan.

The admissions committee told me on interview day that they will only have one hospital left in the city when my class rotates, which is Metropolitan. If you look at the affiliated hospitals & organizations on the NYMC website (http://www.nymc.edu/AboutNYMC/AffiliatedHospitalsAndOrganizations/index.html), Lennox Hill is not listed. However, if you look at the Hofstra website of hospitals (http://www.northshorelij.com/NSLIJ/Member+Hospitals), it is listed. Hofstra is a new school that is being opened next year – Lennox Hill is exactly the hospital I was talking about that is being lost to Hofstra. The admissions committee also told us to make up for losing the hospitals in the city, they were working on getting affiliations in northern New York. It may be possible now to spend most of your time in the city, but it isn't going to be by the time my class gets to the rotation years.

The students also told me they had city envy, and they attended NYMC because it was the only med school they made. I asked a lot of students why they chose NYMC, and that was the only answer I received. I was really surprised – but that was also the reason my dad chose it (he did withdraw from one or two other schools though that he thought he would have made). There was also one girl who I stayed with who ended up crying that night because although she loved her fellow students, she felt miserable with the location and how little she thought there was to do. She was also drunk, but – it didn't help.

In terms of finances, all the students told me they definitely didn't feel affected by it. They also said they're not worried about it because they're not going to be there long enough to feel affected by it. If Touro doesn't buy out NYMC (and I don't have any updated information on that since October), I would definitely be worried – more so in future classes -- but it's not a comfortable thought. If Touro does buy out NYMC, I wouldn't be worried at all.

I suggest you be more informed about your own school when you accuse others of being uninformed.

NYMC actually had at least four hospitals in the city when my dad went there. One of the big ones was Flower and Fifth Avenue Hospitals, which was the first teaching hospital in the country to be owned by a medical college (http://www.nymc.edu/AboutNYMC/History.html). Another was Bird S Coler, and Lennox Hill was also there when my dad attended. You are right about St. Vincents and Metropolitan.

The admissions committee told me on interview day that they will only have one hospital left in the city when my class rotates, which is Metropolitan. If you look at the affiliated hospitals & organizations on the NYMC website (http://www.nymc.edu/AboutNYMC/AffiliatedHospitalsAndOrganizations/index.html), Lennox Hill is not listed. However, if you look at the Hofstra website of hospitals (http://www.northshorelij.com/NSLIJ/Member+Hospitals), it is listed. Hofstra is a new school that is being opened next year – Lennox Hill is exactly the hospital I was talking about that is being lost to Hofstra. The admissions committee also told us to make up for losing the hospitals in the city, they were working on getting affiliations in northern New York. It may be possible now to spend most of your time in the city, but it isn’t going to be by the time my class gets to the rotation years.

The students also told me they had city envy, and they attended NYMC because it was the only med school they made. I asked a lot of students why they chose NYMC, and that was the only answer I received. I was really surprised – but that was also the reason my dad chose it (he did withdraw from one or two other schools though that he thought he would have made). There was also one girl who I stayed with who ended up crying that night because although she loved her fellow students, she felt miserable with the location and how little she thought there was to do. She was also drunk, but – it didn’t help.

In terms of finances, all the students told me they definitely didn’t feel affected by it. They also said they’re not worried about it because they’re not going to be there long enough to feel affected by it. If Touro doesn’t buy out NYMC (and I don’t have any updated information on that since October), I would definitely be worried – more so in future classes -- but it’s not a comfortable thought. If Touro does buy out NYMC, I wouldn’t be worried at all.

I suggest you be more informed about your own school when you accuse others of being uninformed.

lol...you're talking about NYMC when you're father attended. I'm clearly talking about more recently, as in the last 10 yrs. Who cares what hospitals they were affiliated with 30 yrs ago? I sure dont, as I would suspect most potential applicants dont. About Lennox hill, yes I am aware this isn't a permanent situation but we were given no indication that it won't be available in the future. As it is there are only about half as many spots as Metropolitan and WMC. Also, hospitals in the bronx, most importantly Montefiore north, have many rotation spots available. While this isn't manhattan it's just as easy to live in NYC as it is to live in westchester.

I can't really comment on what you heard from other students since that is your own experience.

The admissions committee told me on interview day that they will only have one hospital left in the city when my class rotates, which is Metropolitan. If you look at the affiliated hospitals & organizations on the NYMC website (http://www.nymc.edu/AboutNYMC/AffiliatedHospitalsAndOrganizations/index.html), Lennox Hill is not listed. However, if you look at the Hofstra website of hospitals (http://www.northshorelij.com/NSLIJ/Member+Hospitals), it is listed. Hofstra is a new school that is being opened next year – Lennox Hill is exactly the hospital I was talking about that is being lost to Hofstra. The admissions committee also told us to make up for losing the hospitals in the city, they were working on getting affiliations in northern New York. It may be possible now to spend most of your time in the city, but it isn’t going to be by the time my class gets to the rotation years.

The students also told me they had city envy, and they attended NYMC because it was the only med school they made. I asked a lot of students why they chose NYMC, and that was the only answer I received. I was really surprised – but that was also the reason my dad chose it (he did withdraw from one or two other schools though that he thought he would have made). There was also one girl who I stayed with who ended up crying that night because although she loved her fellow students, she felt miserable with the location and how little she thought there was to do. She was also drunk, but – it didn’t help.

In terms of finances, all the students told me they definitely didn’t feel affected by it. They also said they’re not worried about it because they’re not going to be there long enough to feel affected by it. If Touro doesn’t buy out NYMC (and I don’t have any updated information on that since October), I would definitely be worried – more so in future classes -- but it’s not a comfortable thought. If Touro does buy out NYMC, I wouldn’t be worried at all.

So not trying to be too rude here but....Maybe you should take your own advice about being uninformed.... I actually go here so I know about our rotation sites than you. and most of what you said is wrong. That list of hospitals is not complete or up to date. We do have Lenox (and it was only confirmed in march so maybe thats why you don't know- and Hofstra may use it next yr, but multiple school share hospitals out here), Montefiore, St. Barnabas, Bronx Lebanon (in the Bronx but very accessible from the city- I should know I am going to be living upper east side and have 2 rotations in the Bronx. Also, we will always have Metropolitan in the city (and a lot of students can be at metropolitan at once). Also, we acquired St. Joseph's in Patterson, NJ which is a huge hospital. And once again, enough with insinuating that the only reason anyone goes here is because of a lack of options. I, and most people I know, had other options but we chose to be here for one reason or another (for me coming from CO I wanted to live in NY rather than St. Louis).

OP once again, both schools are good and you can't go wrong as long as you choose where you feel is best for you in your gut. you can PM me if you have specific ?'s.. After tomorrow I'll be home free and happy to offer advice, for now I must study pharm for the final.....

Chicago FTW! Loyola is a better school, has nice new facilities, really friendly and personable staff. Seemed like the students had nothing but positive things to say about their experience there.

So not trying to be too rude here but....Maybe you should take your own advice about being uninformed.... I actually go here so I know about our rotation sites than you. and most of what you said is wrong. That list of hospitals is not complete or up to date. We do have Lenox (and it was only confirmed in march so maybe thats why you don't know- and Hofstra may use it next yr, but multiple school share hospitals out here), Montefiore, St. Barnabas, Bronx Lebanon (in the Bronx but very accessible from the city- I should know I am going to be living upper east side and have 2 rotations in the Bronx. Also, we will always have Metropolitan in the city (and a lot of students can be at metropolitan at once). Also, we acquired St. Joseph's in Patterson, NJ which is a huge hospital. And once again, enough with insinuating that the only reason anyone goes here is because of a lack of options. I, and most people I know, had other options but we chose to be here for one reason or another (for me coming from CO I wanted to live in NY rather than St. Louis).

I apologize! I was definitely a little too free in sharing my experiences in my second post because I reacted instead of responded to rudeness. I don't believe most students came to NYMC from lack of options - I spoke to only a small portion, and I didn't happen to hear anything else from that small portion. With only 40% of applicants being accepted to medical school this year, every medical school will experience this. Making any medical school is an accomplishment, and all will lead to the eventual goal - being a doctor.

My list of hospitals were the ones NYMC used to have. I don't know what ones they have except Metropolitan. So I'm not exactly sure what you mean by my list is wrong? If the list on the NYMC website is not up to date, that's not my list either?

All I know is this: NYMC told me at interview day (in October) they would only have one hospital in the city when we rotated. I remember looking up Lennox Hill specifically because my dad rotated through there. If things have changed, great! But if I were considering NYMC, I would call the admissions office and ask because they are the only ones who will be able to give you the correct information. I would definitely want to be informed about my decision before making it.

As I originally said: both my uncle and my dad loved their experiences. Both schools will make you a doctor. Yay!

I apologize! I was definitely a little too free in sharing my experiences in my second post because I reacted instead of responded to rudeness. I don't believe most students came to NYMC from lack of options - I spoke to only a small portion, and I didn't happen to hear anything else from that small portion. With only 40% of applicants being accepted to medical school this year, every medical school will experience this. Making any medical school is an accomplishment, and all will lead to the eventual goal - being a doctor.

My list of hospitals were the ones NYMC used to have. I don't know what ones they have except Metropolitan. So I'm not exactly sure what you mean by my list is wrong? If the list on the NYMC website is not up to date, that's not my list either?

All I know is this: NYMC told me at interview day (in October) they would only have one hospital in the city when we rotated. I remember looking up Lennox Hill specifically because my dad rotated through there. If things have changed, great! But if I were considering NYMC, I would call the admissions office and ask because they are the only ones who will be able to give you the correct information. I would definitely want to be informed about my decision before making it.

As I originally said: both my uncle and my dad loved their experiences. Both schools will make you a doctor. Yay!

It was not rude of me to ask you not to report about rotation spot information that you are uninformed about. I don't know what the admissions office told you in Oct, but how they could know what hospitals we will have for sure in 2013 is beyond me, when up until March NYMC wasn't even positive that we'd have Lennox Hill as a rotation spot. To say that bc you interviewed here and were told information about rotations means you're informed about the situation is a slight bit of an overstatement if you ask me. You are unaware of what information we 2nd yrs were given just 2 months ago, so to suggest that I'm not informed about my own school would be the rude statement, not vice versa. OTOH I have to agree with CObuffs about your insinuation about this being an "only choice" for most students here. That implication is a little ridiculous and you pulled out a stat that shows this (ie many medical schools, especially those not in the "top tier" have this being the norm).

If I came off as rude I apologize, but in 2 yrs. of being a student at NYMC I have had many experiences on SDN with posters like yourself who post negative things about NYMC without much basis. Now to be fair, you did speak to students who gave you some negative information so I can't fault you for posting that. The less inflammatory move would have been to suggest the possibility of not having rotation sites in Manhattan and maybe ask students like myself or CObuffs to report what WE know.

I am familiar with both schools which is the reason I applied to Loyola and not to NYMC. I was interested in NYC but applied to other schools instead because I did not like the feedback that I was getting from students attending NYMC, etc.

Loyola is a better school, hands down. Their faculty, their humanistic approach to medicine, the relationship with the students and the fact that they do not have the financial problems that seemed to have plagued NYMC were important to me. Loyola is a desirable choice for many out of state students from the midwest and south. NYCM seems to be the last choice for most wanting to stay in NYC (the debate is always between NYCM and one of the SUNYs). You should take that into consideration.

I really felt great at Loyola during my visits and have a couple of friends attending as well.

And go with your "gut feeling", no matter what we say in here. Congrats!

This is making it really hard....I was basically set on NYMC cause I wanted to stay on the East Coast but now I don't know what to do...The concerns with NYMC are obvious...you have all stated them here but my main concern with Loyola is this...Will I have difficulty matching out east? I know I want to match out east....there is not a question in my mind and looking at loyolas match list there are not that many who do this...I am not sure if this is because they don't want to or because it is difficult...

This is making it really hard....I was basically set on NYMC cause I wanted to stay on the East Coast but now I don't know what to do...The concerns with NYMC are obvious...you have all stated them here but my main concern with Loyola is this...Will I have difficulty matching out east? I know I want to match out east....there is not a question in my mind and looking at loyolas match list there are not that many who do this...I am not sure if this is because they don't want to or because it is difficult...

It is highly unlikely that the reason that there aren't a lot of east coast matches is because it is hard to do so. It is much more likely that it is because most who go to Loyola choose not to match in programs on the east coast. As valid a concern as that may be, if it is your only concern I'd go to loyola.

In terms of the "issues" with NYMC, it's hard for me to sit here right now and convince you not to worry about the finances or potential hospitals that you can rotate at, but all I can say is that the feeling around campus since I've gotten here (Aug '09), has been that things are getting much better financially. Also even with the loss of St. Vincents, we have still gained hospitals since I've gotten here. I cannot speak for the future since things seem to be in transition as we speak but I can honestly say its not a worry many students that are currently attending NYMC, have.

It is highly unlikely that the reason that there aren't a lot of east coast matches is because it is hard to do so. It is much more likely that it is because most who go to Loyola choose not to match in programs on the east coast. As valid a concern as that may be, if it is your only concern I'd go to loyola.

In terms of the "issues" with NYMC, it's hard for me to sit here right now and convince you not to worry about the finances or potential hospitals that you can rotate at, but all I can say is that the feeling around campus since I've gotten here (Aug '09), has been that things are getting much better financially. Also even with the loss of St. Vincents, we have still gained hospitals since I've gotten here. I cannot speak for the future since things seem to be in transition as we speak but I can honestly say its not a worry many students that are currently attending NYMC, have.

The other major negative of loyola is it is in the mid-west...I love the east coast and would like to stay here

The other major negative of loyola is it is in the mid-west...I love the east coast and would like to stay here

As an objective opinion (is that even possible? haha), it seems based off your comments that you might be happier at NYMC. Loyola is def not on the East Coast. However, if it is residency only that you are concerned about, I wouldn't be. At Stritch's 2nd look (not sure if you were there?) they gave out the most recent match list and people matched all over, including the standard top "ranked" programs (UCSF, MGH, etc etc). Even a PS match at NYU.

Anyways, I would guess that the lack of east coast matches is more of a reflection of the fact that loyola has a larger % of midwest students that want to stick around. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but my pre-med notion was that there is plethora of East Coast residencies. Lots of which don't even fill with US allopathic students. It seems like the only geographic area that is super tough to match at would be California.

Just thought I'd chime in, and again congrats! IMO, Either way, if you put in the work you will end up with an M.D. and with the residency that you want.

Anyways, I would guess that the lack of east coast matches is more of a reflection of the fact that loyola has a larger % of midwest students that want to stick around. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but my pre-med notion was that there is plethora of East Coast residencies. Lots of which don't even fill with US allopathic students. It seems like the only geographic area that is super tough to match at would be California.

This is so true. You can always enhance your chance for residency in which ever state/school you choose, by arranging some elective rotations there and by trying to develop some relationships thru research, etc, early on.

On the other hand, you seem to be making staying in NYC your main priority and I understand that because location was really important to me as well. If the schools were not so different......Again, go with your gut feeling and hurry up! You don't have much time left ;)

I think it is gonna be Loyola....I just loved it there and everyone I met there... Plus it has a way better reputation AND location (besides the fact it will not be near my parents)... I never preferred NYC because i liked it more then chi.... only because it was close to my parents. AHHHH so nervous and excited!!!

I think it is gonna be Loyola....I just loved it there and everyone I met there... Plus it has a way better reputation AND location (besides the fact it will not be near my parents)... I never preferred NYC because i liked it more then chi.... only because it was close to my parents. AHHHH so nervous and excited!!!

You will love it and you will fall in love with Chicago as well! Best of luck!

Booya.

Loyola=winning:cool::thumbup::clap:

See you in July Huskie

Loyola is lucky to have you! :)

Thanks everyone for the support! I am so excited to start at Loyola in July!!!:D

Good choice, IMO. I got a bad vibe from NYMC; their dorms sucked, their rotation sites are scattered (now no st. vincents), and valhalla is teh suck. Ahh, I'm being a bit harsh, it's still a good school and Westchester Hospital is nice, but I think Stritch has a stronger program.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.