2019-2020 Loyola

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a friend who got accepted a few days ago off WL. So don't worry guys, still hope here!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Got the call yesterday, there is still hope for those on CC! :):)
(Interviewed in January, CC in mid-April)
P.S. does anyone know if we need to buy our own stethoscopes? I assume yes but I can't seem to find it anywhere?
Congrats!! When you begin school in the fall, they will ask everyone to submit a medical supplies form, where you can choose a stethoscope and all of the other supplies you will need. If you already have a stethoscope, you can let them know, and you will need to bring it to show them what kind you have (you need the Cardio IV version). My dad got me a stethoscope as a gift before I started med school, so I got that approved and they waived my fee for the stethoscope. So it's up to you! :)

Reactions: 2 users
I just got the call earlier today. I'm so excited to attend in the fall! I interviewed on 2/13 and got placed in CC on 3/11. Good luck to everyone still waiting for news right now!

Even though I'm a lurker on this forum, you guys gave me a lot of information about Loyola and interviewing, so thanks!

Reactions: 5 users
I just got the call earlier today. I'm so excited to attend in the fall! I interviewed on 2/13 and got placed in CC on 3/11. Good luck to everyone still waiting for news right now!

Even though I'm a lurker on this forum, you guys gave me a lot of information about Loyola and interviewing, so thanks!
Congrats see you soon!

I got the call on Friday 5/22 around 4 pm EST. Interviewed 10/22 and got placed on CC. Sent 2 updates and a LOI. It was such a pleasant surprise getting the call. So excited to start!

Reactions: 4 users
Withdrew acceptance and scholarship here. Sad cause I loved Loyola- hope it goes to one of you!

Reactions: 5 users
I wonder if they will start sending rejections soon so if we have to reapply we won't be delayed

I wonder if they will start sending rejections soon so if we have to reapply we won't be delayed
You should plan on reapplying right now regardless of how this cycle ends! They’re not gonna reject people off WL Until orientation.

Strange question, but does anyone know if Loyola conducts pre-matriculation drug tests...?

Strange question, but does anyone know if Loyola conducts pre-matriculation drug tests...?
They do not. But I would ditch the weed rn if I were you just in case. Not worth the risk. I had a friend last year at Georgetown where they announced mid year out of nowhere If you wanted to do a certain research thing (which most do) you would need to get tested ASAP. **** can happen at anytime, good to be clean in med school especially at the start. Drugs and medicine dont go very well together. If you get a drug charge you may never be able to get a license with the DEA to prescribe drugs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, has anyone heard anything about virtual vs in-person start? I just found this FAQs link Virtual Start FAQ: Loyola University Chicago Health Sciences Campus and according to this, it seems like we'll have a virtual start. I am really confused because I have not received any email about this change from school. The Stritch Pre-Matriculation page ( Prematriculation & Orientation Information: Loyola University Chicago Health Sciences Campus) states that everything will move forward as usual and they will communicate any changes.

How did you find it? Is it possible this is a “just in case scenario”.
I was just randomly googling " Loyola Stritch pre-matriculation" and its the second link that shows up. Has anyone heard anything official from them? their lack of communication through these times makes me think that maybe I am not on their mailing list for some reason lol

@salama2 do you mind telling us what the email said? Is it a late-start or is the entire fall semester virtual?

@salama2 do you mind telling us what the email said? Is it a late-start or is the entire fall semester virtual?
All it basically says is that we are starting virtual but that things will change depending on how things go. To be fair there is no such thing as a “fall semester” in med school. Not a late start, start on time, start virtual and go from there. Return to in person as soon as possible.

And again to be fair, pretty much every med school in the country is gonna start in some virtual capacity.

Hi guys! Just checking in as an incoming-M2!

Having finished most of our Spring semester as a M1, I can tell you not to worry at all about the online/virtual classroom change. For me, it made learning a bit easier for my study habits. In the end, most of medical school is self-study and this might give you extra time in your day to enjoy other aspects of life. While this obviously might not be the case for everyone's studying styles, try to look at it in a positive light!

Also- feel free to reach out to upperclassmen (many have posted on this thread before) to help you out. Most of us don't bite and we'll give you accurate information based on our experience. Looking through some old posts on this thread, there might be a few inaccuracies and/or assumptions made by applicants/upcoming matriculants. The best people who can give you advice are those who have gone thru it.

PS to future applicants- if you are on pre-interview hold, that does not mean you won't get an interview. Plenty of my friends were in this same situation last cycle and they are my now my classmates.

Good luck with choosing your future alma mater! And as always, reach out if yall need help.

Having finished most of our Spring semester as a M1, I can tell you not to worry at all about the online/virtual classroom change. For me, it made learning a bit easier for my study habits. In the end, most of medical school is self-study and this might give you extra time in your day to enjoy other aspects of life. While this obviously might not be the case for everyone's studying styles, try to look at it in a positive light!

Also- feel free to reach out to upperclassmen (many have posted on this thread before) to help you out. Most of us don't bite and we'll give you accurate information based on our experience. Looking through some old posts on this thread, there might be a few inaccuracies and/or assumptions made by applicants/upcoming matriculants. The best people who can give you advice are those who have gone thru it.

PS to future applicants- if you are on pre-interview hold, that does not mean you won't get an interview. Plenty of my friends were in this same situation last cycle and they are my now my classmates.

Good luck with choosing your future alma mater! And as always, reach out if yall need help.

If class etc is switched to in person do you know what the turn around time would be for getting an apartment? Are most of you guys not living in Chicago during this time?

If class etc is switched to in person do you know what the turn around time would be for getting an apartment? Are most of you guys not living in Chicago during this time?
I think most m1s and m2s will be in the Chicago area. I know I am moving for school to start!! The way they’ve presented it is they will move us back on campus as quickly as possible.

Luckily there are more than enough apartments around the area in Forest Park, Oak Park, Berwyn, etc that are available throughout the year. Obviously less will be available during the school year than signing prior to school. There are always high-rises that always have a few openings no matter what time of the year, as well- especially in Oak Park area.

Main things I see as limitations to signing later in the year: 1.) might be stressful while adapting to med school curriculum trying to find a nice place to stay/reasonable landlord. 2.) pricing. with less options during the school year, you might end up dishing out a few extra bucks. But then again, you would also be saving hundreds/thousands by not signing earlier if school is made completely online, right? so I guess my first point is probably what you want to focus on the most.

Can't really give you a turnaround time bc it really varies based on your landlord. My landlord is great and had a 3 day turnaround from finding the place on a listing, checking it out, and signing. I think 2-3 weeks is reasonable to expect as you shop around.

I personally am staying at my apartment in Chicago bc I can't get work for the life of me back home lol. But that's a personal preference. Talking to my classmates, opinions/preferences vary widely.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Completely agree :) Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. Since we just recently finished up M1 year, we have more time on our hands now and would love to help.

Anyone else on cc/waitlist hear anything since 6/1? The fact they pushed the CTE date is driving me crazy. Anyone know if there's any hope left at this point for those still in cc/waitlist?

Anyone else on cc/waitlist hear anything since 6/1? The fact they pushed the CTE date is driving me crazy. Anyone know if there's any hope left at this point for those still in cc/waitlist?
I'm in the same position :(

CTE was 6/15, correct? Has anyone heard anything? The thread has been silent for so long I'm wondering if maybe it's time to wave my white flag...

this may have already been asked before but are preclinicals internally ranked?

Uh well no I definitely think there’s still an internal ranking but it has more of an emphasis on the clinical years overall. But Theres still going to be a preclinical aspect to it.

I’m confused.. this is what I’m referring to
Gotcha, yes my understanding is that only a little bit comes from the preclinical years now, with the majority 3rd and 4th but I could be wrong. I think Whitney said that during second look.

@droj18901 Hey! Incoming M2 here. Again would like to reiterate making sure to ask current medical students/administration to ensure accurate information for all your questions!

I can say that CURRENTLY we are internally ranked preclinically (with a P/F grading system), but there is an emphasis on step 1 + clinical grades. Rank is reported either in quartiles or thirds, God do I remember, but it is an adjective difference on your Residency LOR ex. "excellent candidate", "greatly recommend", etc). They give a breakdown of how each year is weighted sometime during first semester of M1 (I personally could care less about rank, so I'm sorry I don't remember any of these numbers). However, with new Step 1 changes that are expected (but not guaranteed), I don't even think admin could give you correct information on this. The USMLE peeps are being kinda vague on details on the exact changes to the step 1 exam, reporting, date of change, etc. If you want a taste of how vague they are being, please see: United States Medical Licensing Examination. Makes administrator's jobs a lot harder.

Also realize there is a curriculum change coming your way for incoming M1s! In my eyes (and a lot of my classmates that I have talked to), these changes will help you ease the load during M2 year and make life a bit more manageable. If you have any questions about this, I urge you to directly ask administration! They are very friendly, so don't be afraid to reach out to them.

can anyone / any current Stritch students speak on why Loyola's step 1 score average is much lower than other schools in the area? was this year a fluke, is this how it normally is?

also, if anyone has any updates on if we will for sure take a P/F step or not?

can anyone / any current Stritch students speak on why Loyola's step 1 score average is much lower than other schools in the area? was this year a fluke, is this how it normally is?

also, if anyone has any updates on if we will for sure take a P/F step or not?

See MSAR- you will notice that in general, Stritch has a lower entering-MCAT than many MD schools. Admissions is very very highly based on "fit" to the mission statement. You will see immediately that many of our students have an interest in social justice. That is not a surprise/coincidence. It's simply the mission statement that Loyola takes seriously!

I say this because standardized exam scores are correlated somewhat. Meaning a high MCAT score ~can~ indicate a better future score on Step 1. After speaking with friends at other medical schools at the country, I can assure you, no med school curriculum that I know of will teach to the Step 1. You will always have to supplement class notes with board review material.

However, saying all this, I agree with you, Loyola's step score is lower than most MD schools In the country. But at the same time, look at our match list. We match to solid programs in the country. Our reputation for top clinical education is well-known in the country.

Also, to answer your question about P/F, no one knows lol. All I can do is point you toward: United States Medical Licensing Examination. When they make a decision, this will be updated.

Take aways:

1.) Step 1 is self-studying, no matter which med school you go to. More you grind yourself, the better you'll do.

2.) Our step 1 score tends to be on the lower end, but that is most likely correlated to our lower-than-average MCAT score for matriculants (due to admissions based on mission statement/fit)

3.) Despite a lower Step 1, we match very very well.

Hope my answer helps answer your questions!

Looks like it is over for those on the waitlist since it's been more than 2 weeks since CTE. :(

Reactions: 1 users
Looks like it is over for those on the waitlist since it's been more than 2 weeks since CTE. :(

Yeah :( What really confuses/bugs me is that it sounds like there hasn't been movement since the end of May (if you go based off of SDN alone, which I know isn't accurate). So them pushing the CTE deadline didn't do anything then :/.

Yeah :( What really confuses/bugs me is that it sounds like there hasn't been movement since the end of May (if you go based off of SDN alone, which I know isn't accurate). So them pushing the CTE deadline didn't do anything then :/.
Yeah I understand it’s hard. It’s also worth noting I haven’t seen many people on here that have said they withdrew their A maybe only one or two? when you over accept a class like Loyola does if enough don’t withdraw you don’t really have to go to the waitlist as much. I’m sorry :/

Sooo does their most recent email mean white coat is officially virtual? (As opposed to postponed)

Just got the call off CC! They said there was some last minute waitlist movement! Good luck everyone!

• Wow