Low Step 1 Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exhausted101

Reaction score
Well, it happened today. I got my Step 1 score back and scored significantly lower than my NBME’s predicted. I got a 212. I am an honors student and president of an organization but I am an US IMG.. I wanted to go into family medicine or pediatrics in the Midwest originally. I feel hopeless and don’t know if it is worth continuing into my next 2 years. What is everyone’s take on my situation?

Members don't see this ad.

You do realize the average for matched FM for US-IMG is a 211 right? You might not match in a specific region due to having to apply very broadly but you aren't dead in the water...

Reactions: 3 users
Hope is not lost. In fact, family medicine and pediatrics (as well as internal medicine) are some of the least competitive specialties to match into. You still have Step 2 CK to prepare for, and if you do very well, that can compensate for the low Step 1. More importantly, do well on your clinical rotations (3rd year). Also, continue to improve your application with extracurriculars. Research isn't really an important activity to have for primary care-based specialties.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, it happened today. I got my Step 1 score back and scored significantly lower than my NBME’s predicted. I got a 212. I am an honors student and president of an organization but I am an US IMG.. I wanted to go into family medicine or pediatrics in the Midwest originally. I feel hopeless and don’t know if it is worth continuing into my next 2 years. What is everyone’s take on my situation?
i am so sorry you are feeling this way.

I have a question, - what did you use as prediction? that reddit spread sheet? where did you fall in the predicted value as far as distribution?

You do realize the average for matched FM for US-IMG is a 211 right? You might not match in a specific region due to having to apply very broadly but you aren't dead in the water...
Yeah I definitely do realize that and have done some research. With that said, I still fear not matching in the future..

Hope is not lost. In fact, family medicine and pediatrics (as well as internal medicine) are some of the least competitive specialties to match into. You still have Step 2 CK to prepare for, and if you do very well, that can compensate for the low Step 1. More importantly, do well on your clinical rotations (3rd year). Also, continue to improve your application with extracurriculars. Research isn't really an important activity to have for primary care-based specialties.

Thank you for your response. Do you think I will still match if I do the above? Of course, that was my plan..

i am so sorry you are feeling this way.

I have a question, - what did you use as prediction? that reddit spread sheet? where did you fall in the predicted value as far as distribution?

I primarily used NBMES and the UWorld self assessments.

Thank you for your response. Do you think I will still match if I do the above? Of course, that was my plan..

Yes, when the time comes to apply to programs, apply broadly. Considering you are an IMG, it will be an uphill battle, but the good thing is that you are not planning to go into the most competitive specialties. You will need to open as many doors as you can. Work hard, show others what you got, and good luck!

I primarily used NBMES and the UWorld self assessments.
would you mind sharing what you got in those? I hope i do not come off as invasive (please feel free to PM me if that is more comfortable). The reason i am asking is because i am taking it this year.

Yes, when the time comes to apply to programs, apply broadly. Considering you are an IMG, it will be an uphill battle, but the good thing is that you are not planning to go into the most competitive specialties. You will need to open as many doors as you can. Work hard, show others what you got, and good luck!
This might sound pathetic but I am at a grieving point where I feel like I need someone to tell me to not give up.. That this isn’t going to be a dead end..

Reactions: 1 user
would you mind sharing what you got in those? I hope i do not come off as invasive (please feel free to PM me if that is more comfortable). The reason i am asking is because i am taking it this year.
No problem. I know I was scoring between 220 to 235!

This might sound pathetic but I am at a grieving point where I feel like I need someone to tell me to not give up.. That this isn’t going to be a dead end..
of course dont give up!!!!! You passed, and the score is average for FM!!! that is great! Now you need to regroup, figure out what went wrong and what you could improve, and kill it on step 2. From what i understand, they care about it much more. You can do it!!!!! plus we are in the mids of pandemic, so you should really give yourself some credit!

You can match FM with that score, but i would recommend attending AAFP and ACOFP meetings to get your name out there. You should also do better on step 2. Personally, i don't see a 212 as a reason to quit

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't give up. If you were interviewed at my program and i saw good clinical grades in FM, IM, peds, OB and average performance in step 2, i would be completely in favor of your candidacy. I know my PD feels this way as she has ranked carib students with similar profiles before

If you have counseling services at your school, I recommend seeking one out. Medical school (and residency) is already stressful enough as it is. I remember me and my other med school friends got a nervous breakdown before taking Step 1. Otherwise you can seek out a therapist whom you can speak with online. I highly recommend having one to speak to early on as insurance for mental health (I think everyone should at least see one regardless of whether they have mental health issues or not).

of course dont give up!!!!! You passed, and the score is average for FM!!! that is great! Now you need to regroup, figure out what went wrong and what you could improve, and kill it on step 2. From what i understand, they care about it much more. You can do it!!!!! plus we are in the mids of pandemic, so you should really give yourself some credit!
Thank you so much for your support! I need to take a few days and move on then go from there.

Don't give up. If you were interviewed at my program and i saw good clinical grades in FM, IM, peds, OB and average performance in step 2, i would be completely in favor of your candidacy. I know my PD feels this way as she has ranked carib students with similar profiles before
I really appreciate your help. I need to move on but it is just difficult.

If you have counseling services at your school, I recommend seeking one out. Medical school (and residency) is already stressful enough as it is. I remember me and my other med school friends got a nervous breakdown before taking Step 1. Otherwise you can seek out a therapist whom you can speak with online. I highly recommend having one to speak to early on as insurance for mental health (I think everyone should at least see one regardless of whether they have mental health issues or not).
Thank you, I will look into it!

there were 276 us-img's who applied for family medicine with a score of 201-210 (below you) in 2020, most of them matched (162+ 114-) . There was someone else who posted with a 209 step 1 and then got a 253 step 2. If you do that on step 2, you are almost guaranteed to match, as long as you are not too picky. Then after residency, you can work anywhere you want. Just start studying for step 2 asap, and do well from here on out and it is unlikely that you will not match.

Apply broadly. You dont have a choice and will have to apply to many programs. Also find the current rosters of programs. Im in PA and quite a few programs in PA and NJ were almost entirely IMG

Also, i got a 211 (a USMD) and felt the same way.

Don't feel discouraged! I know many US IMGs who have scored between 110-115 and still match into great programs! There are other important aspects that go into your residency application and at this point, you should work on improving the things that you can change. Do better on Step 2. Take your clerkships seriously, be professional, and do well on your shelf exams. Be smart when picking your audition and 4th year rotations. Get great letters of recommendations from attendings at academic/teaching hospitals (think hospitals with residents) and avoid getting letters from private doctors. Spend a lot of time working on and perfecting your personal statement and CV for your application as well. You can also consider hiring a residency advisor to review your application, give you constructive feedback, and prepare a mock interview for you. You are 100% capable of matching into a great program and you will become an incredible physician one day soon. Use this small setback as an opportunity to improve and grow. You can do this. I believe in you!
- Annette G, MD, MPH - USMLE Tutor and Residency Advisor at Med School Tutors

Don't feel discouraged! I know many US IMGs who have scored between 110-115 and still match into great programs! There are other important aspects that go into your residency application and at this point, you should work on improving the things that you can change. Do better on Step 2. Take your clerkships seriously, be professional, and do well on your shelf exams. Be smart when picking your audition and 4th year rotations. Get great letters of recommendations from attendings at academic/teaching hospitals (think hospitals with residents) and avoid getting letters from private doctors. Spend a lot of time working on and perfecting your personal statement and CV for your application as well. You can also consider hiring a residency advisor to review your application, give you constructive feedback, and prepare a mock interview for you. You are 100% capable of matching into a great program and you will become an incredible physician one day soon. Use this small setback as an opportunity to improve and grow. You can do this. I believe in you!
- Annette G, MD, MPH - USMLE Tutor and Residency Advisor at Med School Tutors

They scored 110-115?? They must have had amazing research

They scored 110-115?? They must have had amazing research

The passing score is in the 190s, so if that is correct then I assume they must have retaken the exam?...but not being able to pass on the first try in addition to being an IMG sounds like a very difficult situation to be in in terms of matching into a program.

The passing score is in the 190s, so if that is correct then I assume they must have retaken the exam?...but not being able to pass on the first try in addition to being an IMG sounds like a very difficult situation to be in in terms of matching into a program.
I assumed this was a typo

Literally in the same boat as you OP! I'm also an US IMG and I was predicted around 228-235 and got my score back today with a 217. Felt hopeless all day and started researching IM programs that I can hopefully match into. Across the board, the advice was to do better on step 2 and do well on clerkships and have a great relationship so you get amazing LoRs. Hopefully, we can push through and make it as MDs!

What if someone fail step 1 and re-take it and do well?

Unfortunately, not passing a Step exam on the first try does not look well for residency applications. Lots of programs specifically state that you have to have had to pass each Step exam on the first attempt. It's their way of screening out applications given how competitive it is to match these days. That means they would have to apply very widely and hopefully have other parts of their application that are strong.

Still a huge red flag. Many programs have on their websites they dont consider candidates with board failures.

• Sad
There’s a “fail filter” I believe so no one will see a repeat score of 260. Barely passing step>>>>>>than repeating step.

• Sad
Thank you so much for your support! I need to take a few days and move on then go from there.
Hie, i am in the same condition. Just got my step1 score-211. Us-img as well and aiming for IM or FM. Feeling hopeless right now. I am asking here for an opinion. What did you decide to do?