OBYGN residency with low step scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ptilor123

Reaction score
Hi, worried about my chances at matching. Go to a top 20 med school in the country but have step 1 228 and step 2 235. 2 honors (obgyn included), 2 high passes, and 3 passes during clinical year. Hoping to have 3+ published research abstracts/papers by the time I apply and have 5+ research experiences with active projects (just some that won't be submitted by the time I apply). Wondering if my chances to match obgyn are out given my step scores? thx.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought that 228 and 235 were about average? And from a top 20 school with solid research?

Is OBGYN getting a lot more competitive? I thought it was similar in competitiveness to anesthesiology/rads?

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought that 228 and 235 were about average? And from a top 20 school with solid research?

Is OBGYN getting a lot more competitive? I thought it was similar in competitiveness to anesthesiology/rads?
19% of US MD seniors did not match (252 applicants) in OBG this year.
39% of DO's (153 aps) did not match.
There may have been an open categorical spot in SOAP, but other than the handful of prelim spots that are purposely not filled in the regular match, there was basically nothing. It has been like this for the last 5 years.

The mean Step 1 score (2021) for a successful applicant was 232, Step 2 was 248.
For unsuccessful applicants, Step 1 mean was 222, Step 2 was 238.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
19% of US MD seniors did not match (252 applicants) in OBG this year.
39% of DO's (153 aps) did not match.
There may have been an open categorical spot in SOAP, but other that the handful of prelim spots that are purposely not filled in the regular match, there was basically nothing. It has been like this for the last 5 years.
But what’s there to believe that OP coming from a T20, H in OBGYN and good research would fall in that category of going unmatched? It’s one thing to be conservative in assessing chances but I don’t understand why this worry is needed in OP’s case

But what’s there to believe that OP coming from a T20, H in OBGYN and good research would fall in that category of going unmatched? It’s one thing to be conservative in assessing chances but I don’t understand why this worry is needed in OP’s case
I gave OP better than even odds for this very reason. The 3 "passes" are a serious deficit, though.
Sadly, I have seen this exact scenario play out badly enough times to have become more cautious in my estimates.
There was a time when I wouldn't have been concerned at all. That time has passed.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
With strong letters and a broad application, you have better than even odds.
A parallel plan would be a good idea. I saw folks with a similar application SOAP (into another specialty) this year.
Thank you for your honest response. I'm guessing with these scores that my only option is to apply to primarily community programs. Do you think it would be possible for me to match at a mid tier community program out of state?

Thank you for your honest response. I'm guessing with these scores that my only option is to apply to primarily community programs. Do you think it would be possible for me to match at a mid tier community program out of state?
With strong letters from eminent members of the profession, you may get interviews across all types of programs. It is difficult to predict.
Alternatively, a year of research could be a high risk/high reward option. I had an applicant with scores like yours who matched at Columbia with this strategy. They got relatively few interviews so I was worried that they would be lucky to get into Bakersfield!

Reactions: 2 users
With step 1 going p/f I doubt the lower scores will hurt you that much. Continue research and get good letters particularly from subspecialties and well known generalists. It’s competitive because of the zoom interviews with it being easier to not be selective with which interviews to go on.

I gave OP better than even odds for this very reason. The 3 "passes" are a serious deficit, though.
Sadly, I have seen this exact scenario play out badly enough times to have become more cautious in my estimates.
There was a time when I wouldn't have been concerned at all. That time has passed.
So, bottom line, is all the hand wringing over T20 in the pre-med forum way overdone?

Reading between the lines, you seem to be saying that T20 does not mitigate issues in an application, while people with impressive applications match all types of specialties from all tiers of school.