Urm , low Mcat, discouraged

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lettucechop

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello I have at 495 Mcat and 3.7 gpa... I’m a young Africans American mother. So far I have applied to azcom, pcom-ga, and waiting for verification with amcas on Morehouse and medical college of Augusta. Just received a secondary for PCOM- ga and azcom. I think I can kill an interview I have passion and great story. I’m getting discouraged now ... according to azcom thread, people are getting waitlisted with 504s so I guess I shouldn’t even waste the money on the secondary.

I was taking if using that money to add A.T. Still in Arizona and vcom- Alabama...

Any advice ?

Members don't see this ad.

495 is pretty low and i wouldn't apply personally but your gpa is decent so it might make up for it for a DO school

495 is pretty low and i wouldn't apply personally but your gpa is decent so it might make up for it for a DO school
I know it like for do, but I am African American female . And a young mother. So I’m deff urm. I got a few do secondaries so it’s worth the shot

Members don't see this ad :)
I know it like for do, but I am African American female . And a young mother. So I’m deff urm. I got a few do secondaries so it’s worth the shot
Im urm too. I think 495 is still low but you still have a chance.

Imo I would not apply just bssed on me and my Outlook. I rather apply once and get in then be subpar and get rejected. Also there really isn't a double URM effect considering most schools are majority female now, although the young mother angle will help

hello I have at 495 Mcat and 3.7 gpa... I’m a young Africans American mother. So far I have applied to azcom, pcom-ga, and waiting for verification with amcas on Morehouse and medical college of Augusta. Just received a secondary for PCOM- ga and azcom. I think I can kill an interview I have passion and great story. I’m getting discouraged now ... according to azcom thread, people are getting waitlisted with 504s so I guess I shouldn’t even waste the money on the secondary.

I was taking if using that money to add A.T. Still in Arizona and vcom- Alabama...

Any advice ?

I would not get discouraged, but really take the chance to identify your applications weaknesses and strengths. Then fully consider how each school you apply to may weigh each of these things. I would put a major focus on the details provided in the MSAR (& the DO equivalent), each school's website (e.g. mission, values, outreach initiatives, etc.), and completing your secondaries early & fully. I think that applying to medical school is really about strategy and you need to develop one for your personal app and goals.

Here are my suggestions:
  1. Thoroughly edit your secondaries, not just for grammar but to make sure that you are answering the questions and showcasing your resiliency, drive, and goals to the best of your ability. Make sure that things you say match with the mission of these schools so that they see something in you that will/can further it.
  2. Apply to more DO schools, especially the newer ones that may be more willing to accept you stat-wise.
  3. To reiterate: increase your clinical hours & your community service (possibly with the same activity if you can); these showcase your commitment to helping others and medicine specifically. They also give admission committees a view into where your passions/heart/goals are. Remember, your actions (the ones in your app) speak for you when they haven't met you yet. They are part of the reason they will want to meet you
  4. Make sure that you are able to fully explain why your MCAT is lower (or any other academic discrepancies). Make sure this explanation is respectful, includes personal responsibility, highlights outside forces at play (e.g. being a mom, working during school, etc.), AND details how you have learned/improved from it. Schools want to know that previous stat issues will not still be an issue when you matriculate. So, if the test is an issue, figure out why (even if you do not plan to retake) and be able to articulate that and explain it in a better light.
  5. If this cycle does not yield an acceptance, I would strongly consider an MCAT retake and increase clinical and volunteering hours. Even just a few points higher or a solid 500+ would do wonders, especially at DO schools.
I think that is all that comes to mind. Feel free to ask me to clarify anything. Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 users
I would not get discouraged, but really take the chance to identify your applications weaknesses and strengths. Then fully consider how each school you apply to may weigh each of these things. I would put a major focus on the details provided in the MSAR (& the DO equivalent), each school's website (e.g. mission, values, outreach initiatives, etc.), and completing your secondaries early & fully. I think that applying to medical school is really about strategy and you need to develop one for your personal app and goals.

Here are my suggestions:
  1. Thoroughly edit your secondaries, not just for grammar but to make sure that you are answering the questions and showcasing your resiliency, drive, and goals to the best of your ability. Make sure that things you say match with the mission of these schools so that they see something in you that will/can further it.
  2. Apply to more DO schools, especially the newer ones that may be more willing to accept you stat-wise.
  3. To reiterate: increase your clinical hours & your community service (possibly with the same activity if you can); these showcase your commitment to helping others and medicine specifically. They also give admission committees a view into where your passions/heart/goals are. Remember, your actions (the ones in your app) speak for you when they haven't met you yet. They are part of the reason they will want to meet you
  4. Make sure that you are able to fully explain why your MCAT is lower (or any other academic discrepancies). Make sure this explanation is respectful, includes personal responsibility, highlights outside forces at play (e.g. being a mom, working during school, etc.), AND details how you have learned/improved from it. Schools want to know that previous stat issues will not still be an issue when you matriculate. So, if the test is an issue, figure out why (even if you do not plan to retake) and be able to articulate that and explain it in a better light.
  5. If this cycle does not yield an acceptance, I would strongly consider an MCAT retake and increase clinical and volunteering hours. Even just a few points higher or a solid 500+ would do wonders, especially at DO schools.
I think that is all that comes to mind. Feel free to ask me to clarify anything. Best of luck to you!
So kind and honest. Thank you!

CUatthefinishline gave a great response.

I don't have much more to add except do not give up. Perseverance and resilience in the face of adversity is key.

The fact that you are a mom and pursuing this goal is amazing. Kudos to you for going after your dreams. Much respect.

Try your best this round (since you've already started), and if for some reason it doesn't work out, you know what to do next time (retake the MCAT for a higher score)

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Great advice on this post! Don't be discouraged, if medical school is what you truly want you will get there. With a low MCAT it is very important you highlight your strengths while addressing your weaknesses and how you've learned from your shortcomings and plan to improve on them in the future. As others have said, if this cycle doesn't yield any results, an MCAT retake is advised. Never doubt that you can do it if this is truly what you want. I know many (including myself) who have been able to come back from missteps along the way, and have eventually gained acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user