Love OMFS, but need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

molarext

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey whats up people, 3rd year dental student here.
I frequently browse the message boards on SDN for advice, and finally decided on posting a question in hopes of getting advice. My current class rank is 18/94, with a gpa of 3.67, and my part 1 is a 91. I have done an externship and am ready to go on a second soon. I have also done some research prior to starting dental school which has been published in a medical journal (it was medical research, not dental). With the scores that I have, will I be a competitive applicant or are my chances too slim to build a dream around?

Thanks for the replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey whats up people, 3rd year dental student here.
I frequently browse the message boards on SDN for advice, and finally decided on posting a question in hopes of getting advice. My current class rank is 18/94, with a gpa of 3.67, and my part 1 is a 91. I have done an externship and am ready to go on a second soon. I have also done some research prior to starting dental school which has been published in a medical journal (it was medical research, not dental). With the scores that I have, will I be a competitive applicant or are my chances too slim to build a dream around?

Thanks for the replies.

I would say that you have solid chances. Apply to a lot of schools and you should get more than a few interviews. Be sure to mention the research and publication in your CV if you are listed as an author. It doesn't matter that it was done before dental school.

You have a solid chance, just make sure you maintain... better yet, try to increase you GPA and class rank. I would recommend externing at some strong programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
you're in unless you have a bad personality

agree...just apply...you'll be fine...unless you are a just bad with interviewing, and you have to be really bad with that..

I would say that you have solid chances. Apply to a lot of schools and you should get more than a few interviews. Be sure to mention the research and publication in your CV if you are listed as an author. It doesn't matter that it was done before dental school.

Are you a dental student or pre-dental?

Thanks for the advice everyone, I will continue with the process and hopefully I will eventually see the light at the end of the tunnel...

I'm in basically the same position as you...identical GPA and board scores..ranked 16/85. Haven't done any externships yet and w/ how hard it is to make up clinic time...i'm startin to worry about my chances. There is an externship I could do over spring break, but thats only 1 week long..and then trying to do a longer term one in August somewhere. I'm REALLY hoping that's enough because I don't think I can take away from clinic time. Also, does the "strength of the program" really matter when externing as far as applying for a residency spot is concerned?