Love Letters Mandatory in 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Milotic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like every medical student in IM is writing "love letters" to places that haven't interviewed them yet. Is this an unofficial requirement that we should all be doing? I feel like in a way the few success stories that happened prompts EVERYONE to do this so the PD/coordinators end up with tons of "love letters" in their inboxes. Regardless, is this something we should be doing to the programs that haven't individually sent us interview invites or is it getting annoying to them? I just dont want to be at a disadvantage by NOT sending love letters in because a bunch of people shotgunned love letters to these places who would've eventually received an invite at the same time as me.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
One of my program coordinators said she got 400 emails asking for interviews in the past 2 weeks. She seems super annoyed right now, but I guess they now got to review there apps to see?

It seems like every medical student in IM is writing "love letters" to places that haven't interviewed them yet. Is this an unofficial requirement that we should all be doing? I feel like in a way the few success stories that happened prompts EVERYONE to do this so the PD/coordinators end up with tons of "love letters" in their inboxes. Regardless, is this something we should be doing to the programs that haven't individually sent us interview invites or is it getting annoying to them? I just dont want to be at a disadvantage by NOT sending love letters in because a bunch of people shotgunned love letters to these places who would've eventually received an invite at the same time as me.
you call them "love" letters i call them being proactive..just sitting back after applying to programs is not going to necessarily get you interviews, especially if you are an average candidate.
though i'm of the opinion that emails are fairly easy to ignore and called the PC. Not too early but 2-3 weeks after the MSPE went out would be appropriate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jeez you guys are not proactive enough. I’m applying for fellowship and haven’t heard back from some snazzy west coast programs. I’ve already booked airfare and will camp outside the fellowship offices until I’m interviewed.

Reactions: 6 users
I've gotten 30 IV's from sitting back and doing nothing. I am just concerned that soon this will be a situation where Coordinators and PD offices will be getting 50 phone calls daily from people begging for interviews if this becomes the "unofficial requirement." Yes it is proactive, but if they wanted this kind of interest wouldn't they have established a secondary essay question of some sort to filter out those dedicated enough?
well, if you have gotten 30 IVs then this apparently does not pertain to you...so why the post to begin with? just the typical 4th year paranoia?

If I were a PD, I would instruct my PC that any applicant who initiates contact outside of ERAS before Nov 1 (just spitballing the date here) has their application immediately rejected.

C'mon man...those folks are busy enough as it is without having to sort through 100 extra emails and voicemails every day. Leave them alone. If they want you, they'll let you know.

Reactions: 2 users
well, if you have gotten 30 IVs then this apparently does not pertain to you...so why the post to begin with? just the typical 4th year paranoia?
He appears to be conversing with himself.

Perhaps humblebrag with a touch of multiple personality disorder?

I know this has been answered, but these are definitely not mandatory.

If I were a PD, I would instruct my PC that any applicant who initiates contact outside of ERAS before Nov 1 (just spitballing the date here) has their application immediately rejected.

C'mon man...those folks are busy enough as it is without having to sort through 100 extra emails and voicemails every day. Leave them alone. If they want you, they'll let you know.

Not sure about this. My home program director told us she has about 200 apps that she wont have time to get to and she had 2 open slots remaining. She said she felt terribly and was sure that there were amazing apps in that stack but it's the nature of the business. If you're in that stack a phone call may have helped but not after there are no slots.

Not sure about this. My home program director told us she has about 200 apps that she wont have time to get to and she had 2 open slots remaining. She said she felt terribly and was sure that there were amazing apps in that stack but it's the nature of the business. If you're in that stack a phone call may have helped but not after there are no slots.
Those two slots may be staying open b/c she wants them too... Not b/c she doesn't have time to get to those apps.

I'm not doing any of that bull****

Reactions: 1 users

This is quite simple. The best that can happen is you get an interview. The worst thing that can happen is you don't... wait, that's your position currently. Therefore, there is tremendous upside and no downside to contacting programs that you haven't heard back from.

With that being said, there is a right way to do it. Shotgunning every single PD/program coordinator will waste your time and annoy everyone involved.

- Talk to your advisors or someone you trust and target a few programs within your reach that dedicated communication may be of help
- You should state specific reasons why you are contacting a program and why you are interested. This can range from personal ties to a specific city/state, new updates to your application (i.e. step 2 scores, publications, posters, etc), something unique/specific about an institution and why you think it may be a good fit, or if you've done an away and loved your experience
- Contacting a program is especially helpful if a mentor or another person pulling for you also reaches out on your behalf preferably a day or two before you send an email
- Email both program coordinator and program director

I repeat, DO NOT email EVERY SINGLE program you haven't heard back from. That's just obnoxious. But, you lose nothing and have a world to gain if you target ~10 programs well.

- Email both program coordinator and program director

I repeat, DO NOT email EVERY SINGLE program you haven't heard back from. That's just obnoxious. But, you lose nothing and have a world to gain if you target ~10 programs well.

emailing both the PD and the PC would be more obnoxious than emailing every program you haven't heard from...its not like the programs talk to each other , but the PD and the PC of the same program definitely do talk to each other.

at this time, the PC would probably be the better one to contact...(s)he is the one that has more interaction with the day to day scheduling of interviews for the most part...and if she thinks that your application merits re-review, she can send that app on its way. Plus at this time of the year, most of her energies are focused on the interview season, the PD has other responsibilities. Later in the season, maybe talking to the PD could help (not that i ever contacted the PD except for thank you letters or emails after the interview...i found the PC were a better option).

Members don't see this ad :)
emailing both the PD and the PC would be more obnoxious than emailing every program you haven't heard from...its not like the programs talk to each other , but the PD and the PC of the same program definitely do talk to each other.

at this time, the PC would probably be the better one to contact...(s)he is the one that has more interaction with the day to day scheduling of interviews for the most part...and if she thinks that your application merits re-review, she can send that app on its way. Plus at this time of the year, most of her energies are focused on the interview season, the PD has other responsibilities. Later in the season, maybe talking to the PD could help (not that i ever contacted the PD except for thank you letters or emails after the interview...i found the PC were a better option).

I don't disagree necessarily, but from speaking with applicants (N=3, so take that with a grain of salt), emailing the PC led to "thank you for contacting us!" whereas emailing the PD was what led to an actual interview. Personally, I did not send out pre-interview emails so cannot comment on the this strategy. Hindsight is 20-20, but I probably should have sent out a few a few years ago.

I hope this doesn't become common. An email to me doesn't mean as much as what's in the application. If you wanted to be in my field/location/state/hospital setting-style, it should have been in your personal statement or something.

Or send the love letters to friends in the hospital and have them talk to me. It holds more weight.

Please don't email programs... for my sake.

I hope this doesn't become common. An email to me doesn't mean as much as what's in the application. If you wanted to be in my field/location/state/hospital setting-style, it should have been in your personal statement or something.

Or send the love letters to friends in the hospital and have them talk to me. It holds more weight.

Please don't email programs... for my sake.

Its already becoming common people hear about programs sending out interviews to people with lower stats and all of a sudden they feel they sending a LOI is the only way to get another interview even though they might not need it.

I know a program coordinator said she received over 50 emails a day and like 10 calls regarding application update that they just ignore them unless they are related to couples matching.

Last edited:
Its already becoming common people hear about programs sending out interviews to people with lower stats and all of a sudden they feel they sending a LOI is the only way to get another interview even though they might not need it.

I chose to interview someone with lower stats because the rest of their application was better or showed something I'm looking for, whereas the max board score person did not have that aspect.

It's not like it's causing me that much grief to hit delete a lot. UGME has a lot of hurdles trying to set people up for successful GME.

I think it depends on the intent and content of your love letter and also timing. For residency I sent out about 6-7 e-mails a month or so into the cycle to programs that had excellent fellowships I was interested in as well as favorable location near family. I got 3 of those interviews. For fellowship, I got the majority of interviews I wanted, but there was one program - actually the same one I also e-mailed for IM (and got the interview thereafter) - that the fellowship did not send me an invite. A few weeks in I e-mailed that fellowship at the same institute for similar reasons and I got the interview. I CC the PD if his e-mail is readily available but address the PC.

In my opinion these people get 100's to 1000's of applicants. The majority of programs (including my home programs) do not have the time to go through all these applications and give them the appropriate time. They also are not very consistent as multiple people may be screening. In the end, you still need to have a good/appropriate application for that particular program.

If you aren't good enough to get an interview on your own merits, what makes you think that after the interveiw the program will rank you high enough to match?

If you aren't good enough to get an interview on your own merits, what makes you think that after the interveiw the program will rank you high enough to match?

Many programs don't just care about stats, and can not give out an interview because they don't think you're actually interested or would rank a place.

I think it does work in specific situations. One is when you're a stellar applicant but on the opposite coast, for example; programs might think you're less likely to relocate unless you demonstrate a specific reason for wanting to go there.

Another is when you get screened out and your application is never read. This happened to me. I didn't honor medicine (a common screening criterion) due to a new grading algorithm flaw that my med school apologized for (and justified that because of honors quotas, they couldn't go back and give me honors, but that I should have honored). I had a strong application otherwise (260 + step1/2, 10 pubs, AOA, honored everything else, reputable med school). I had received every interview I wanted except for 1 of the big 4 programs (and I received interviews spontaneously from 2 other big 4 programs). I sent an email to that 1 big 4 program (AFTER they sent me a rejection), and I got an interview offer the very next day. Based on my interview interactions and post-interview communications, I was told I was ranked highly. Did I match there? No. But I also didn't rank them #1.

Last edited:

I change my sentiment. After seeing my experience and some of my friends, I think "mandatory" isn't that far off from the truth if you want to maximize your match potential. Like @MyTachyBradyHeart says, there's a way to do it (see above). Then again, it remains to be seen if these are courtesy IIs. I wouldn't be surprised if the mainstream responds soon. Either the match bans letters of interest from applicants (because of the sheer #) or Residency Application books include a chapter on how to write a letter of interest.

Last edited: