LoR Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NoDakENT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a quick question regarding a LoR: I am finishing up an ENT away rotation this week, and have already been told that I will be getting a letter from where I am rotating, but it likely won't be finished for another 1-2 weeks after I leave. My question is whether I should wait for this letter or designate another (non-ENT) letter to my application to get a 4th one out there as residency interview invitations go out. I am just worried about only having 3 LORs in my application currently (2 ENT, 1 non), and am wondering if not having 4 in will affect my chances of getting more invites.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a quick question regarding a LoR: I am finishing up an ENT away rotation this week, and have already been told that I will be getting a letter from where I am rotating, but it likely won't be finished for another 1-2 weeks after I leave. My question is whether I should wait for this letter or designate another (non-ENT) letter to my application to get a 4th one out there as residency interview invitations go out. I am just worried about only having 3 LORs in my application currently (2 ENT, 1 non), and am wondering if not having 4 in will affect my chances of getting more invites.

Thanks in advance.

I would wait and add the ENT letter later on. I have heard some faculty comment that any more that 4 letters is too many to read when they are going through stacks of applications. The non-ENT letter is unlikely to add as much, as much of your LOR impact is going to be based on if the letter reader and writer know each other.

4 Letters. Are you kidding? If you think that all 4 letters are all read, you're nuts. 2 letters are read (the chair's and then any other prominent name) and the other letters will be skimmed to see if they're more than just the formulaic recommendation. You're 4th letter matters worth jack snot unless it's from a chair or a prominent name in the field.

Thanks for the candid response. My home program does not have an ENT program, so I have had to get ENT LoRs from visiting rotations. Should I wait for this ENT letter or submit a letter from the Chairman & PD of Surgery (non-ENT) at my home institution instead?