LOR from someone I volunteer for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shootbigshootbigger

Reaction score
Hello!
So I meet with a "Buddy" who has survived a stroke and has aphasia. We chat a little and play games to combat the isolation that is common following brain injury.
I have been meeting with him and his wife for 2 years, and she has said that our meetings are the highlight of their week. She is very fond of me and thinks I will make a great doctor. Also, she is a writer.
If you were me, would you submit a letter from her? I am concerned that because she has no "credentials," adcoms may not be able to verify what she says.
Thank you!

Edit: It's part of what I do for a student-run organization that I am president of.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello!
So I meet with a "Buddy" who has survived a stroke and has aphasia. We chat a little and play games to combat the isolation that is common following brain injury.
I have been meeting with him and his wife for 2 years, and she has said that our meetings are the highlight of their week. She is very fond of me and thinks I will make a great doctor. Also, she is a writer.
If you were me, would you submit a letter from her? I am concerned that because she has no "credentials," adcoms may not be able to verify what she says.
Thank you!

Edit: It's part of what I do for a student-run organization that I am president of.
I appreciate character references but they provide little value. Furthermore, it is not appropriate for a letter of evaluation. The relationship is not one reflecting a mentoring or academic relationship.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have 2 science, 2 non-science (1 humanities, 1 public health), 1 from PI (not a close relationship), 1 from employer (non-clinical).
Not sure if I will use them all, just what I have collected!
I would not use the letter for the same reasons as Mr. Smile mentioned.

You can safely leave out the PI letter too.

Reactions: 1 users
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users