Away in August/ september

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Strider_91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it a huge deal to do home rotation in June, nothing in July (family circumstance), and aways in August/ September?

I would get 2 letters from my home program (one is a big name guy I’m doing research with) the other is the program director, and then update with a 4th letter ASAP.

Members don't see this ad.

Should be reasonably OK if you have a strong application.

Not sure the current dates -- maybe someone who applied more recently can weigh in. But I know the opening date for application submission used to be Sep. 1. You wanted to have your application submitted on that date if possible, because programs begin offering interviews immediately. While you are correct that you can update with another letter later on, you can't really expect that places are going to revisit your application every time you submit something else. Places are going to look at your application once, on their timeline. Realistically, you won't get that last letter in until Mid-October at earliest if you are counting on faculty from a September away.

So, I don't think it's bad to use this schedule, just realize your letter from September away will likely not have much impact on your chances.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm late to the urology party and I'm extremely interested. with regards to this discussion, are you referring to the AUA match when you say the opening date is sep 1st? I figured they started taking applications june 12th, am I wrong?

Members don't see this ad :)
While Urology matches early with AUA, you apply through ERAS and the ERAS application timeline and deadlines apply. It was like Sept. 15th or something last year. Early match, but regular application time. It's just a shortened season.

As far as the aways go, you should be okay, if the rest of your app is strong. I did only one away, in October (I was a super late decision to Urology). It certainly hurt me, but I matched well. Your app just has to be decent. Not ideal, but it can work. And I should add that while I did not get a letter from my late away for my application, I did get a phone call by an attending to the program where I ended up matching. So overall it still helped.

As cpants said, these later aways have little to no impact on your application, besides talking about stuff on interviews. Agree that updated application items will likely not be looked at by programs.

Reactions: 1 user
I ended up doing away rotation in July, home rotation August, and away rotation mid September-October. Received 2 letters from home rotation and one from the July away. My top choice was my last away to which I matched. YMMV, but I think you should be fine as long as you have strong letters already lined up in addition to a solid application.