LOR etiquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackwell

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think it would be bad form to not use a letter after asking someone to write you a letter? The reason why I ask is that I just finished a rotation with the intention of getting a letter. The feedback had been great up til the final
formal evaluation and the attending brought up some "constructive criticism" but now I think a letter from this particular individual may not be great. I already have my 3 for CAS and was going to use it as a 4th. I don't want to send in a mediocre letter but I don't want to piss this person off. I am applying to this program so it would be obvious if I didn't use this letter. Any thoughts? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

tough call. if your letter writer likes you, the letter may only include good things. often attendings have reputations as being "good" or "bad" letter writers, so ask around. also keep in mind that if you don't have the letter yet, you can always say "thanks but I needed to submit my application early," which kind of gets you off the hook.

as far as the letter being conspicuously absent when this person reviews your application, this could be a problem, depending on the program, and how important the attending is. I assume this isn't your home program?