Standardized LOR for SF Match used for ERAS TY/Prelim applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jtfgy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
So I know this new Standardized letter is just a pilot this year but I have a question. My dean of student affairs pretty much told me to give my letter writers the option to writer either a traditional or standardized version for CAS. And I know most people use their ophtho letters for their ERAS TY/Prelim year apps as well. Are ya'll planning on using the Standardized LOR if your letter writer decides to write that one or are you going to have them write a second traditional LOR for ERAS? It seems like a lot to ask of letter writers to write another letter for ERAS but I'm not sure if it's okay to use the new version for ERAS.

Sorry that's a book but we don't have a home program so I don't really have anyone to ask and I'm sure no one really knows about this new letter now since it's the first year it's being piloted. Just wanted to get some thoughts on what other applicants were thinking.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys,
So I know this new Standardized letter is just a pilot this year but I have a question. My dean of student affairs pretty much told me to give my letter writers the option to writer either a traditional or standardized version for CAS. And I know most people use their ophtho letters for their ERAS TY/Prelim year apps as well. Are ya'll planning on using the Standardized LOR if your letter writer decides to write that one or are you going to have them write a second traditional LOR for ERAS? It seems like a lot to ask of letter writers to write another letter for ERAS but I'm not sure if it's okay to use the new version for ERAS.

Sorry that's a book but we don't have a home program so I don't really have anyone to ask and I'm sure no one really knows about this new letter now since it's the first year it's being piloted. Just wanted to get some thoughts on what other applicants were thinking.

I am also curious about what people think about this.

I do have some reservations with giving my letter writers this option though. We also don't have a home program so take this with a grain of salt, but with any new changes to the application process, I assume that PDs/Faculty have no idea what to do with this information. One of my letter writers (who is faculty at a teaching hospital) didn't know that letters were now submitted online. This guy must write 5-10 letters every year (or at least copy/pastes them) and he still doesn't know this. How long has this been a thing? 3-5 years at least?

Anyways, I'm dubious of going for the new format while there is still an option to get traditional letters. I fear the 75 year old faculty Ophthalmologist looking at the letter and thinking it's worse by default because it is new. That's how I plan to approach it anyways.

Looking forward to hear everyone's thoughts.

Hi guys,

That's a great question. I'm going with the traditional route just because it's a pilot and many programs are not used to looking at standardized LORs, so I think it might be a bit riskier than a traditional one as there's possibly a higher chance for such format to carry a negative effect on your application, especially for the more old school PDs.
I also think it will be a bit unusual when a TY/Prelim program looks at an LOR and the letterhead is just SF match without any institutional affiliation. It might be totally fine but I would wager it might create some confusion to some folks.
Perhaps it's best to get the input of applicants from other specialties with an already established standardized LOR system.