LOR juggling.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agolden1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently posted this in another thread where it probably didn't belong, deleted it, revised, now here

Need an opinion: I have a home ophtho program, and did research with my ophthalmology chairman, but none of the other faculty. My board scores are a bit below average, and in light of that the chair said he could write me a letter of recommendation, but that it could not be "the strongest letter possible," but would help me to get in.

Recently, I did an away in a different geographical area with two ophtho big wigs who said they could write me "very, very strong letters." Any opinions on whether I should submit good letter from ophtho chair + 1 big wig + clinical letter and submit second big-wig as a supplemental, or should I drop the chair letter and stick to the big wigs + clinical? The clinical letter will be very strong. I was concerned not having anything from my home institution, let alone my geographical region might be viewed as being odd.

Members don't see this ad.

You need the strongest letters possible, but it's somewhat of a red flag if you don't have any letters from your home institution. Not sure where your "clinical" letter is coming from based on above, but if that's from your home institution, I think it's fine to have that letter + 2 external, as long as the programs you are applying to don't require a chair letter.

Reactions: 1 user
You need the strongest letters possible, but it's somewhat of a red flag if you don't have any letters from your home institution. Not sure where your "clinical" letter is coming from based on above, but if that's from your home institution, I think it's fine to have that letter + 2 external, as long as the programs you are applying to don't require a chair letter.

"Clinical letter" is from home institution from a Family Medicine doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)