Look to swap into Ob/Gyn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lynx124

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is against the rules or not, but I'm PGY1 categorical anesthesia looking for a swap into an Ob/Gyn program. PM me for details.

Members don't see this ad.

Look at CREOG Clearinghouse. I have known people who matched into PGY2 OBGYN after general surgery and a TY depending on what the composition of TY was. May have to do extra time at the end though.

I switched into OB after 2 miserable years of general surgery. I start this July as an intern- what will transfer and whether it will put me ahead in time is TBD- but I could care less. I am SO HAPPY to be finally doing what I should have done in the first place.

CREOG clearinghouse is a great start, especially this time of year when people might be hedging about their match contracts. But if you’re geographically restricted, the best thing might be to bite the bullet and go through the match. Of course, talking to the OB PD at your current hospital would be step #1. Just don’t try to pull any fast ones with holding >1 contract at once- the ACGME is frighteningly good at sniffing these things out. Feel free to PM if you want to talk more.

Members don't see this ad :)
I switched into OB after 2 miserable years of general surgery. I start this July as an intern- what will transfer and whether it will put me ahead in time is TBD- but I could care less. I am SO HAPPY to be finally doing what I should have done in the first place.

CREOG clearinghouse is a great start, especially this time of year when people might be hedging about their match contracts. But if you’re geographically restricted, the best thing might be to bite the bullet and go through the match. Of course, talking to the OB PD at your current hospital would be step #1. Just don’t try to pull any fast ones with holding >1 contract at once- the ACGME is frighteningly good at sniffing these things out. Feel free to PM if you want to talk more.

Did you get your position through the match or through the clearing house?

I ended up going through the match again. Looking back, my biggest mistake (other than matching into specialty that was a terrible fit the first time around) was waiting too long to re-enter the match. I was hoping to go through clearinghouse, or just slide into an off cycle position, so I delayed submitting ERAS. It worked out fine in the end, but I’m sure I would have gotten more interviews if I’d applied earlier. You can always submit ERAS and continue looking for off cycle positions- it’s not a violation to do so until you submit a rank list.

Reactions: 1 user
I ended up going through the match again. Looking back, my biggest mistake (other than matching into specialty that was a terrible fit the first time around) was waiting too long to re-enter the match. I was hoping to go through clearinghouse, or just slide into an off cycle position, so I delayed submitting ERAS. It worked out fine in the end, but I’m sure I would have gotten more interviews if I’d applied earlier. You can always submit ERAS and continue looking for off cycle positions- it’s not a violation to do so until you submit a rank list.

How did you handle getting time to go to interviews?

It wasn’t that bad-most interviews were in November, so I confided in one admin chief and asked to move a week of vacation. I crunched as many as possible into that week, and fit the rest in where I could. There were some all nighters for sure-luckily I applied mostly within driving distance, and had a pretty light rotation in December. So I’d recommend trying to rig your schedule as such, if possible. Sometime you might just have to suck it up and swap, even if it means losing a weekend or something.

I didn’t MATCH my first year, MATCHed the second time into IM, but my heart is still in Ob. Any advice?

I matched into Internal Medicine. I applied to OBGYN and did not match. I am thinking about re-applying for OBGN. I am a US IMG student. I am wondering how people go about reapplying in terms of their "backup" that year. For example, if I reapply, are there PGY2 options for me in IM in case I don't get OBGYN??

I matched into Internal Medicine. I applied to OBGYN and did not match. I am thinking about re-applying for OBGN. I am a US IMG student. I am wondering how people go about reapplying in terms of their "backup" that year. For example, if I reapply, are there PGY2 options for me in IM in case I don't get OBGYN??

I would assume if your PD is kind, they will keep that spot open for you in case you don’t match Ob/Gyn.

OBGyn still has a lot of surgery - curious why you found gen surg was such a bad fit for you?

After a long hiatus from SDN, and a completed PGY-1 year, i stumbled back over here. Thank you to everyone for your suggestions.

what did you end up doing?

Reactions: 1 user