~*Loma Linda Class of 2012*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know this is a little a random so bear with me. I know that some schools have specific printer requirements (laser color printer). So do you, current LLU students, rely heavily on your printer, do you make a lot of copies per weeks that would make it necessary to buy a laser printer or a regular printer suits usage just fine? Does LLU have a student lounge with printing/copy capabilities or are u on your own for those?
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

i have a lexmark that i got a few years ago for 40 bucks. since there are very few things that are required to be printed and turned in for a grade, i almost always print either quick print or normal print. on the rare occasion that i need a photo quality print, it comes out really nice, but uses a crapload of ink, and ink costs around 20 bucks a cartridge - which is why i rarely ever do that. again, since there are so few papers that you will write (several 1-2 pages for religion classes and a handful at the end of the year), there would be only a couple of reasons that i can think of to get a really expensive printer that can bust out high quality color prints. maybe you want to print photos. or maybe you want to print out each and every ppt lecture and histology slide - which makes no sense to me, since the profs give out a 2 foot stack of syllibi over the course of the year with all the info you need + post ppts online. nonetheless, i know of some people who printed out all of the lectures in color. i think thats a waste personally, but hey, to each their own. in the end, you find out what works for you.

the above was a circuitous way of saying, "no, LLU doesn't require you to have a fancy schmancy printer." oh yeah, i almost forgot, dr. cao put a color printer in the pathology lab last year and you can use it if you byop - bring your own paper. of course, dont be a punk and print all of your ppts in color and use all the ink and screw everybody else who needs it. but if you need to print something its there for you sort of as a, "oh crap i forgot to print my religion paper," or something.

One of the previous posts mentioned getting a doctor bag to haul all of our equipment. What is a good size to get? Do we need to get a professional one, or can we just use a tote bag for the next few years?

Members don't see this ad :)
HI all - I"m sorry if this is considered highjacking the thread, but i was wondering if you guys could give me an idea of the avg mcat/gpa of last years (and this years) incoming class. I can't seem to find that information anywhere!

thanks and congratulations on all of your accomplishments. best of luck at LLU!

I'm planning to buy a new laptop for medical school. Whats the general consensus between a conventional laptop and a tablet pc? For students that have a tablet, how many of you use the tablet function on a regular basis at LLU?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I know this is a little a random so bear with me. I know that some schools have specific printer requirements (laser color printer). So do you, current LLU students, rely heavily on your printer, do you make a lot of copies per weeks that would make it necessary to buy a laser printer or a regular printer suits usage just fine? Does LLU have a student lounge with printing/copy capabilities or are u on your own for those?
Thanks in advance.

like alfonrazel said, you barely will need to print out any papers so going with a good affordable printer is a good idea. I had a black and white laser printer and I haven't had a problem yet.

One of the previous posts mentioned getting a doctor bag to haul all of our equipment. What is a good size to get? Do we need to get a professional one, or can we just use a tote bag for the next few years?

During you orientation there will be a little convention where the ARMY, the alumni association, various on-campus organizations, etc. try to get you to sign up for membership. I got like 2-3 bags, a butt load of pens, and other free stuff from this orientation convention. Most students used the bag that the Alumni association gave out (that said Loma Linda University School of Medicine on it) to put their medical supplies in. I don't think you need to go out and get your own doctor bag at all. I'm in Africa right now on a mission and I took all my equipment in the bag that the Alumni Association gave us. It should be enough.

HI all - I"m sorry if this is considered highjacking the thread, but i was wondering if you guys could give me an idea of the avg mcat/gpa of last years (and this years) incoming class. I can't seem to find that information anywhere!

thanks and congratulations on all of your accomplishments. best of luck at LLU!

Our average MCAT was like 29.6 or something like that. It certainly wasn't a 30 as I remember. I can't remember our average GPA. But yeah, LLU isn't really a numbers *****; they accept students with a broad range of MCATs and GPAs.

I'm planning to buy a new laptop for medical school. Whats the general consensus between a conventional laptop and a tablet pc? For students that have a tablet, how many of you use the tablet function on a regular basis at LLU?

Thanks.

Most of my classmates have a conventional (I.E-non tablet) laptop. I have a macbook pro. Neither is really better than the other. I have a friend (classmate) who had a toshiba tablet and he started writing notes in class with it, but plenty of people just typed their notes directly into the PowerPoint presentations which was put on Blackboard before the class. Its up to you; I can type very fast but I write like a turtle so I would prefer typing my notes right into PowerPoint presentation. Simply from a techy standpoint, I feel like you sacrifice memory size and HDD space when you get a tablet but that is just a personal opinion. Also, I think our class is split down the middle with Mac vs. Windows laptops.

booo ya just checked llu.online for the first time in a few days and noticed that they signed me up for classes! It's pretty sweet; I gotta be honest though looking at that many 500-level science classes is a bit unnerving! hah.

Hey guys, is anyone living in The Highlands in Grand Terrace? And if you are, is it a good place to live?

Thanks for the replies!!! Useful information.

Hey gatormanade, it is funny that you mention the Highlands since that was one of the places I was looking to rent something. I was looking for at least two bedrooms for my wife, my dog, and I and the Highlands actually had one of the nicest place we saw when we came over for week to check places out. I believe the place was called Castle Rock, or something like that. In the end, we narrowed it down to two choices, one of them was Castle Rock. However, we ended up deciding to go with our other option. My main concerns when looking at places were safety and living in a relatively lively area. The places in Highlands looked like they were in very quiet areas (maybe too quiet for us) and we felt that there was not much to do in it (more for my wife than myself). Also the access we had to and fro the area was not the best. The place is about 8 miles from Loma Linda but for some reason it took us quite a while to get there (about 20 minutes). The problem seemed to be the traffic reigning on the 215 in the direction of travel. Now I do not know about inner streets that you could use to resolve this issue. Finally, safety was important to me and the area was kinda of dark at night, which I did not like. Also I went to get a police report on the crimes of the area and let just say I was not happy with it. Bear in mind that crime did seem to be going down tho. So since I am moving across country with my wife to a new area we decided to go with the safest and more lively area we could find within a reasonable distance. Even tho the place we chose is a bit farther away it takes us the same time to get to LLU. We've been here for a couple of weeks and we are very happy with the place but it was definitely a tough decision.
Hope this helps (I hope it is the area you were looking for, lol) and I guess I'll be seeing you in a couple of weeks:).

Now that I closely read you post I believe I am talking about a completely different area. I'll leave my post for the future tho.
Sorry for the mixup.

Last edited:
Anyone want a used anatomy lab coat (women's 8) or tennis shoes with cadaver juice on them (also women's 8)? I will wait a few days before dumping them so PM me if you are interested.

I have the Lenovo x60 and used it all the time. I really liked being able to highlight/write on slides without printing them out. DoctaJay is right about sacrificing other stuff, but I upgraded the RAM and got an external HD and so far it has been fine.

I would definitely go for the Lenovo if you get a tablet. I've tried some of the others and the pen doesn't seem to work as well.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
if any of you incoming freshmen are experienced skydivers or want to skydive, let me know. llu is just 25 miles away from perris valley skydiving, one of the biggest, baddest drop zones in the world. i go jump out of planes at least once every 2 months, in order to keep my license current. for the 4th of july, i went jumping with a few of my friends from school - it was their first time and they thought it was pretty neato. it's an incredible stress reliever and way beyond mere fun. in any case, i like to go after exam weeks as a sort of celebration that i survived (by the way, in case you were wondering, yes, exam weeks are brutal). jumping solo is truly mind-blowing, but jumping with friends is even better. so, if you're interested, pm me and we'll talk.

enjoy your last couple of weeks, homies!

Question for current med students at LLU:

If I live within walking distance of campus during first and second years, how difficult would it be to do without a car?

I was planning on driving my car out there, but last weekend I was involved in an accident and I'm afraid my baby of 6 years is totaled. :( Assuming that I meet people with cars and am willing to throw down on gas to the beach/mountains/store, how necessary is a car for MS1/MS2?

Thanks!!

Question for current med students at LLU:

If I live within walking distance of campus during first and second years, how difficult would it be to do without a car?

I was planning on driving my car out there, but last weekend I was involved in an accident and I'm afraid my baby of 6 years is totaled. :( Assuming that I meet people with cars and am willing to throw down on gas to the beach/mountains/store, how necessary is a car for MS1/MS2?

Thanks!!

i know a few people who went without cars their whole ms1, and they made it out alive. i know of one in particular who is sick of it, and is in the process of getting a car for herself. i have a toyota truck, but i live a couple miles from school - 4-10 minutes driving depending on traffic/construction, 15 minutes by bike pretty much no matter what. i ride my bike a lot to save gas and get extra exercise.

not having a car/truck/motorcycle/whatever would pretty much stink, in my opinion. in any case, you CAN do it without a car, if you live close to campus, but don't you think it would suck having to always depend on someone else for transpo? i'm sure you'll make friends that will be willing to give you rides when they can, but i know i would be uncomfortable having to always ask for a ride - but that's just me. i don't like to feel like a mooch, even if i'm not being one.

if you choose to be a carless person, make sure to always have a contingency plan. and i'd at the very least get a bike if i were you.

oh yeah, and i think ms3/4 you have to rotate to riverside, keiser, and maybe arrowhead - in which case you WILL need a car. bike to riverside is quite a haul.

if any of you incoming freshmen are experienced skydivers or want to skydive, let me know. llu is just 25 miles away from perris valley skydiving, one of the biggest, baddest drop zones in the world. i go jump out of planes at least once every 2 months, in order to keep my license current. for the 4th of july, i went jumping with a few of my friends from school - it was their first time and they thought it was pretty neato. it's an incredible stress reliever and way beyond mere fun. in any case, i like to go after exam weeks as a sort of celebration that i survived (by the way, in case you were wondering, yes, exam weeks are brutal). jumping solo is truly mind-blowing, but jumping with friends is even better. so, if you're interested, pm me and we'll talk.

enjoy your last couple of weeks, homies!

Oh man, I've been wanting to do this for a loooooooooooooong time. I'm still waithing for LLU (not looking so good so far :( but I'm not giving up hope), i hear that it's not really over until it's totally over. It seems that you can still get in up to almost August. My fingers are crossed...

If I get in, dude, I want to try skydiving so bad, it looks really amazing! Are there any other students that do that kind of thing? Do you also go bungee jumping, Alfonzarel?

A question for current students. What is the Ward Experience all about? Do we get to rotate thru most of the services at the hospital? Do we get to scrub in at surgeries? Is it an 8-5 thing?
Just tell me what you thought about it.
Thanks in advance.

Thanks.

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?p=437484#437484

If you're interested in a tablet, I have one for sale. It'd be a whole bunch easier to just sell it locally here at LLU to an incoming or anyone else interested in the area.

If you'd like the flexibility of the tablet functions, this is the tablet for you! It's also small enough for using it as a regular laptop too, and it's not heavy!

OH YEA, and I'm also selling my mountain bike I got last year and hardly used (i live on a steep hill and just couldn't handle the ride up!) It's a schwinn mountain bike I got from target for $160 so i'll be selling it for $100 including a helmet. So if you live nearby, it'll be a great way to save on gas money!

you can still email me at the address listed in the post.

Last edited:
A question for current students. What is the Ward Experience all about? Do we get to rotate thru most of the services at the hospital? Do we get to scrub in at surgeries? Is it an 8-5 thing?
Just tell me what you thought about it.
Thanks in advance.

You'll get a random assignment to one of the 3rd years and follow them on their rotations for two weeks. Some 3rd years work with a team of attendings, residents and other 3rd years and some work alone with attendings directly. If you're assigned a surgical rotation, you will most likely get to scrub in for surgeries. Your hours will depend on which service you follow, 5-8 for some surgery rotations, or even 9-12 if your 3rd year is on psychation. You might also have to drive to one of the affiliated hospitals where your 3rd year is rotating at as well. I ended carpooling with other first years on my team.

Wards experience will be what you make of it. If you are truly interested, go for it, try to get a feel of what medicine is about, spend time with your 3rd year and try to take in as much as you can. But if you're not dying to get back into the swing of things, just take it easy. Show up when you're suppose to and leave when they let you. You're not gonna be frowned upon if you do the minimum. We understand it's the very beginning and you probably don't know a whole lot and won't understand what's going on regarding patient care.

Oh man, I've been wanting to do this for a loooooooooooooong time. I'm still waithing for LLU (not looking so good so far :( but I'm not giving up hope), i hear that it's not really over until it's totally over. It seems that you can still get in up to almost August. My fingers are crossed...

If I get in, dude, I want to try skydiving so bad, it looks really amazing! Are there any other students that do that kind of thing? Do you also go bungee jumping, Alfonzarel?

no way, bungee jumping is dangerous, man.

i went with several people from my class on independence day, and another friend from the PT school last week. a couple of others have expressed interest in going this year, so if you want to jump on the bandwagon, just say so. btw, good luck getting in - it's pretty late in the season, but it ain't over till the fat lady sings... which is in about a week or so, i guess.

Does anyone know the official date and time of the personality workshop? One calendar lists it on August 6, while another lists it on August 13. What do we even do there?

Does anyone know the official date and time of the personality workshop? One calendar lists it on August 6, while another lists it on August 13. What do we even do there?

I have it penned down for August 13th from 315 to 730pm in Alumni Hall for Basic Sciences. I am not sure what this is about but most people that attend recommend it.

the LLU calendar shows the 13th as the date.

and i went last year and it was worth it in my opinion. the actual 'discovery' of your personality is ok, but you'll get to meet a lot of your classmates and find out 'who shares your personality traits' which is really cool.

plus free food, if i remember correctly.

does anyone have any basic info on orientation? I remember getting that packet but I didn't bring it with me when I moved. I know it's at 8:00 am in the Kerlee Conference Center. Is there a dress code? Should I bring anything? Shouldn't we be getting an email about these things? thanks. :cool:

Orientation is 8:00am at the Wong Kerlee International Conference Center in the Coleman Pavilion (the packet says its on Level B). The dress code for men is: slacks, shirt and a tie and a jacket is optional, but I am wearing a suit myself. For women: dresses or skirt and top ensembles. The alumni packet they sent us also recommended we bring paper and pens/pencils, so I'm planning on bringing a notebook.

Hope that helps! I'm looking forwards to seeing all of you tomorrow!

Ah, now I know who DoctaJay is! It's nice to put a face to the screenname.

Does anybody know/remember the website we have to visit to sign up for AMSA credit card in order to receive the Netter's Atlas? Or does anybody have the contact info for the AMSA people at LLU so I could ask them?
Thanks in advance.

Question for those accepted: on the secondary when it asks if you consumed any alcohol, drugs, etc..., did you all answer no? Or did anyone answer something like, I have but am willing to abstain...? Thanks in advance.

the LLU calendar shows the 13th as the date.

and i went last year and it was worth it in my opinion. the actual 'discovery' of your personality is ok, but you'll get to meet a lot of your classmates and find out 'who shares your personality traits' which is really cool.

plus free food, if i remember correctly.

Hey alfonzarel,
Are you an SP?
:laugh:
Best of wishes to everyone.

Question for those accepted: on the secondary when it asks if you consumed any alcohol, drugs, etc..., did you all answer no? Or did anyone answer something like, I have but am willing to abstain...? Thanks in advance.

Thats actually pretty much exactly what i said. My undergrad had an alcohol policy that we couldn't drink during the school year but we could over summer. I told llu i had had some alcohol, but when i was off contract, and that i dont have a problem abstaining while i'm here. they actually thanked me for my honesty, and here i am :)

Does anybody know or remember how long do the religion weekly papers have to be?
Thanks in advance.

Does anybody know or remember how long do the religion weekly papers have to be?
Thanks in advance.

I'm in Gober's class, but I'm guessing they are fairly similar. We were told approx. 1 page during class last week, but she sent an e-mail to us today saying less than a page.

Hey alfonzarel,
Are you an SP?
:laugh:
Best of wishes to everyone.

i think i was an INTJ.

oh and don't sweat the religion papers - there are a bunch of them, but they are short (usu about a page or so double spaced) and easy to write. mostly they are just a pain in the butt - it's not like you have enough to deal with without having to write a stupid paper every week or two. right?

although i really liked the religion classes, they would've been way better without the busywork papers.

good luck on classes next week, all.

day one tomorrow guys! good luck to all!

Anyone have an idea how the practical exams are set up?

Last edited:
wooo hoooooo one week of exams down, 13 more before step 1!!!!!!!!! :D

^I'm going to assume you did well ;)

I didn't do so hot on the exams. I only failed one, and just by one question, but I still need help. Would anyone like to really reinforce the material by tutoring me? PM me if you're interested.

Anyone have an idea how the practical exams are set up?

by now, you know how the csf practicals are run. the neuro practicals, which won't be for a while, are basically identification of brain sections on the big screen in shryock, and are pretty easy if you study. the anatomy practical, which you will get soon is just a bunch of "stations" in the stink lab. each body has 2 tagged structures, you have a sheet with 50 lines and 1 minute per structure as timed by a loud buzzer and everyone rotates every minute.

we (the 2nd years) are going to put on a practice practical for you all in a few weeks. it's pretty helpful - almost your whole class will attend, i imagine.

see you then.

question for 2nd years:

Dr. Zhang (physio ion channel lecturer) has a lot of random stuff about nobel prize winners in his notes. Does he like to test over this material?

Hey I had a quick question about the quality of health insurance Loma Linda provides. According to the 2008-2009 catalog:

All School of Medicine students are provided with a health insurance policy through the University's Department of Risk Management. This policy remains in effect for students who are regularly enrolled, provided they register and pay tuition and fees on time each quarter. Since the maximum benefit of the policy (as of the time this CATALOG went to press) is $100,000 and does not cover preexisting illnesses or dental or optical care, students are encouraged to maintain a personal, current policy that covers preexisting illnesses and/or has a higher benefit. A student who does not have health insurance coverage for his/her spouse/children will need to purchase it through the University's Department of Risk Management at the time of registration. Government regulations prohibit the use of student loan funds to provide medical insurance or services for a student's spouse or children.

First off, have any of you actually bought supplemental insurance to cover more than the base insurance provided by LLU? I have no preexisting health conditions and consider myself to be in good health.

Also, how much per year does LLU charge for their insurance coverage? Can you opt out if you have (or plan on purchasing) better insurance?

Finally, I am getting married in June. Although my wife will still be a full-time student, she will not be able to stay on her mom's health insurance. The catalog indicates that health insurance can be purchased through the school for her. How much does Loma Linda charge for a spouse's health insurance?

Strongboy

As soon as my coverage started with LLU's healthcare policy, I cancelled my previous PPO plan. I don't think you need any additional policies for yourself. While I've heard that some of my classmates mention they have other healthcare policies, I was told by the financial aid department that I would not receive anything if I opted out of their program. According to them, it is already included in the tuition costs. You might want to check into this for yourself.

I looked into getting LLU's policy for my wife, but it costs around $145 per month ($440 every three months, due during the last two weeks of March, June, September, and December). We're both students and can't really afford the extra money so we chose to go with a high deductable policy for her.

If you plan on having kids during medical school, you can't go wrong with LLU's policy. Pretty much any other policy I found that included maternity care was well over $150 per month.