~*Loma Linda Class of 2012*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gatormanade

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Welcome!

I AM 100% positive I will be going to Loma Linda :D Can't wait to meet everyone!

Anyone start the search for housing yet?

Members don't see this ad.

gator (and anyone else), i still haven't gotten in (hopefully will) but if you have any house questions let me know I have lived and worked in/at Loma Linda since August

Also looking forward to meeting everyone in our class!

I've done a little bit of searching for housing but nothing serious. I think I'm going to get a studio apt the first year because I don't know anyone out there that I am certain would be a good roommate and the less stress from outside sources the better during first-year!

I actually never been to the Loma Linda area, but I'm looking forward to doing some surfing and snowboarding when I have time.

When is everyone heading out there?

I live in Tennessee so I'm thinking about packing up my stuff in the middle of July and taking a few weeks to hike in the rockies, maybe go by zion, bryce and the the grand canyon on my way out there. Orientation starts August 6 I think. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
go to zion for sure, it is amazing...did that on my move out here

I will be headed to LLU as well. Moving out sometime in late July I think.

I was out there in February and perused the housing situation...my fiancee (getting married in June) are looking at some places in Redlands which are ~10 min from campus. Redlands is quite nice, but obviously more expensive. I have found www.forrent.com to be very useful, take a look.

It seems like housing is a lot cheaper there than most places in southern california, which is another reason Loma Linda is awesome. Im hoping to find somewhere no more than 15 min walking to campus.

Another question, anyone fill any other forms out for registration other than financial aid and the student health form? On my checklist nothing is completed but I havent gotten anything from LLU and for some reason I cant check my llu.edu mail (server seems to be down).

Hey everyone - I'm going to LLU for sure, really looking forward to it. I'm glad to hear other people are into snowboarding and surfing.

Anyway, I was wondering if there was a general location where most med students live. I'm from Colorado and I'll be heading out for a week in May to try to find housing, but I'm not familiar with the area and I have no idea what "good" and "bad" locations are...any advice?

-Chris

If anyone learns anything during their apartment hunting please post it here. We'll be going out there in a week or two to check it out.

Also, what lender did you guys select? T.H.E. just gave up so now LLU is telling me I have to choose another lender.

AHHH! I'm in! Phew, now I can enjoy my last 4 weeks as an undergrad.

Hi everyone!:D I look forward to meeting you guys this summer, i should be heading there sometime in July! I haven't done anything housing hunting yet,:rolleyes:... a studio apartment is also my best bet if i don't chose the dorms!( I think i'll crash with fams when i get there, and situate myself from there):thumbup:

Hey guys -

I made a trip to LLU this weekend and did some pretty intense searching for housing. At first I was kind of discouraged because the LLU Foundation rental office said they had more demand than supply - and that given the shortage in housing (and my position on the list), things didn't look great.

So instead of just waiting and hoping that campus housing would come through, I checked out everything in the Trading Post - from "rooms for rent" to rentals, and went to nearly every apartment complex within 2-3 miles of campus. Rooms for rent got pretty shady - one lady said I could live in her basement or her attic, followed by "do Saint Bernard's bother you?". I would say the majority of these options were people or families that wanted to supplement their income by renting out a guest room or a basement. I didn't want to get caught up in family dynamics or a stressful situation for our first year, so I went to other options.

I spoke with a fourth year student, and she gave me advice on good locations, and the areas that most med students tended to gather. In terms of apartment complexes, there were a few areas that stood out: Van Leuven area east of campus (Monterey Pines, Mountain View Mansion), and Stewart street west of campus (Good Manor). The apartment complexes on Redlands (Rosewood, Orangewood, etc.) seemed further away, noisier, and lower quality for the same price. Of these though, Rosewood was decent. There are a few complexes near the Wier Road area, but I got a bad vibe, and wasn't impressed. Overall, my favorites were Monterey Pines and Good Manor. Monterey Pines was nicer, had a better feel to it, had unlimited parking, and was essentially the same price. Good Manor was a little closer, felt a little "steamy", but was also pretty good.

Some tips from the people I spoke with: North of 10 isn't safe and should be avoided, although its cheaper. I talked with an LLU student who moved out of his Coulston Street complex (Loma Village) because someone broke into his window while he was studying in his room. Redlands and Grand Terrace are nice, but the commute with gas prices and parking would be a hassle. Cole Street apartments are a little cheaper, but break-ins are high and they're converted motels. Poplar is a pretty nice area. Don't get anything on Rincon or Canada Street (where Stewart snakes near the railroad tracks). Briarwood Manor is known as "Bad Manor" and has bars on the windows.

Prices: At first I wanted a single since I don't know anyone, but it looks like singles run from 800-900, and doubles are 1000-1200. So it just made sense to go with a double and find a roommate. In the end I put a hold on a 2nd floor, 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment in Monterey Pines that starts in July. It was $1035 a month, and the place is sweet!

Timing: This is tough in Loma Linda, it seems like nobody knows anything further than a month ahead. If you do the Foundation Rental office, you have 2 weeks to decide. Places in the Trading Post are usually rented within 2 weeks, so its hard to plan ahead. Apartment complexes also were unsure when things would become available, if at all. They usually knew only about 30 days into the future.

Anyway, I checked out LLU pretty hard and consulted with students, landlords and realtors...if you guys are wondering about certain locations, etc. I'd be happy to help.

-Chris

My findings (*.xls attached).

Rankings based solely on facilities (i.e., no concern for proximity or price).

We visited more apartments than are listed on the attached spreadsheet, but this is all I collected info for/remember clearly.

Attachments

• apts.xls
    35 KB · Views: 273
Very nice work, 777, I generally agree with your findings. You should send it to the LLU housing office, I think it would be a useful resource.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you wish you had known?

Book list/info?

TIA

Attachments

• reference.xls
    23.5 KB · Views: 211
Hello fellow 2012 LLU SOM classmates,
Thanks for all the housing information. I also am currently looking for housing and would gladly take a male roommate(s). I live in Pennsylvania and so will need to find something "sight unseen". I plan on arriving at school sometime during the last days of July. I won't have a car and so need something within walking or biking distance of campus. Send me a message if you need a roommate.

Sorry that I haven't been posting much in this thread, but myself along with the other first years are on week 2 of 2 1/2 weeks of finals (you all will feel the pain soon enough :D ). But I just wanted to through a quick heads up that I really suggest that you not live so far that you will need to drive to class. I suggest this because LLU is about to do a buttload of construction on the road just behind your lecture hall. This will include building a tunnel underground for cars to drive and redoing a whole lot of stuff (in preparation for the centennial building). Traffic is already horrific on that road around 7:50 a.m. when all the students are walking to class and all the nurses and docs are driving to work, so I imagine it will only get worse when they start building that tunnel and close roads. Just a heads up. I'll try to post a little more when i come up again for air. If you all have any questions, I'll be glad to answer them.

Sorry that I haven't been posting much in this thread, but myself along with the other first years are on week 2 of 2 1/2 weeks of finals (you all will feel the pain soon enough :D ). But I just wanted to through a quick heads up that I really suggest that you not live so far that you will need to drive to class. I suggest this because LLU is about to do a buttload of construction on the road just behind your lecture hall. This will include building a tunnel underground for cars to drive and redoing a whole lot of stuff (in preparation for the centennial building). Traffic is already horrific on that road around 7:50 a.m. when all the students are walking to class and all the nurses and docs are driving to work, so I imagine it will only get worse when they start building that tunnel and close roads. Just a heads up. I'll try to post a little more when i come up again for air. If you all have any questions, I'll be glad to answer them.

Good Luck DoctaJay!!!!!!!

hello,

can someone post the 2008 match list? thanks!

Hey everyone. I'm in the Class of 2011. Someone had asked me if I could give my opinion on the textbooks. I copied and pasted from the link on this thread and added my comments about the books. I think every person's opinion will vary. One of the most important things during first year is to figure out how you learn best. Some people in my class I never, ever saw because they just never came to lectures.

As for me, I went to most lectures. However, I ended skipping quite a bit of physiology during the respiratory and GI section. But I went to all the endocrine lectures. The lecturers we had during endocrine were excellent (at least IMO).

Anyways, on the to the books. As I said above, the list of books were copied and pasted from another thread...

cecil textbook of medicine, 22nd ed
- I think I opened less than five times. Dr. S, though, says that the third and fourth years find this very useful once you are in the clinical years.

clincal diagnosis & mgmt by lab. methods, 20th ed
- Never used.. well maybe once? This was the second book Dr. S suggested we keep. It was also highly used by the third and fourth years (according to her).

dorland's illus. med. dic., 30th ed
- didn't not buy

spirit catches you and you fall down, 1st ed.
- borrowed from library

the lost art of healing
- bought and read the assigned chapters. I do hope to finish it when I get the chance.

clinically oriented anat. 5th ed.
- good book. useful. i'd recommend BRS as well.

langman's med. embryology, 10th ed
- lots of detail. i really started using it the last part of the school year and regret not using it sooner. The notes provided by the instructor are good and I used the book to fill in the gaps. Don't bother reading everything, just the parts the instructor highlights in lecture. I did buy High Yield, and the instructor does point out any errors that he knows of in that book. Less detail found in High Yield which is expected in a review book. I don't really have an opinion either way of the High Yield.

atlas of clinical gross anatomy (by Moses, Banks, Nava, and Peterson)
- atlas written by our instructor - used it a little. this atlas contains photographs of actual dissections. it can be helpful in a crunch if you can't get into the lab before a practical.
- a friend of mine, however, hates this atlas and says that Color Atlas of Anatomy by Rohen is much better. It also has photographs of real dissections. If you get on campus early, I'd recommend looking at Rohen in the library before buying the atlas by Moses.

lippincott's biochemistry 4th ed.
- i'd recommend this book. not too much detail but our biochemistry course doesn't go that much in depth (at least in the first year). i found a lot of the figures useful as one of the biochem professors never has any figures in his handouts.

thompson(x2) genetics in med. 6th ed.
- i'm not sure what this book is... i had a genetics book from undergrad but i never even used that one. we did have some molecular biology lectures in biochemistry and they just said to look it up in the Campbell and Reece Biology textbook if we needed more info.

histology: a text and atlas, 5th ed by Ross
- Well-written book. Pretty easy to follow. I also had Junqueira 11th Edition from Undergrad and I felt Ross was easier to read. I think I may have opened Junqueira once to check a figure that I was more familiar with.

immunology: a short course, 5th ed (Benjamini)
- another really good book, but i probably only read a couple chapters in there. for the most part, the immuno notes that are provided are pretty good. I owned this book and another immuno book from undergrad by Goldsby. I think Benjamini is a lot better for this course.

user's guides to the med. literature: a manual for evid-based. clin. pract.
- i bought it, never read it. but i think it may be helpful for boards? not sure...

Physiology
- The physiology lectures draw from a couple different sources. I owned the Physiology text by Berne. Didn't like it at all. Too dense.
- I bought the Lange series of physiology textbooks for GI and one for Renal. I didn't end up using them. Could read it.

- Respiratory Physiology by John B West was really good. May have been the only physio text I "liked."
- BRS by Linda Costanzo is really good.
- Physiology textbook by Linda Costanzo is better.
- I would really recommend these last three physiology books.

neuroanatomy through clinical cases by Blumenfeld
- i wish i had read this more. the little bit i did read was good. but the notes for the class are really good.

the brain atlas: a vis guide to the human cent. nerv. sys., 2nd ed (by Woolsey)
- good brain atlas

Structure of the Human Brain, 3rd edition (by DeArmond)
- a very minimal atlas. most of the pictures from the neuro exam were taken straight out of this book, so it helps to be familiar with these images.

mostby' guide to physical examination, 6th ed.
- good reference to have.

chest x-ray made easy, 2nd ed
abdominal x-rays made easy
- i didn't even know these books were recommended.

behavioral med. in prim. care, 2nd ed.
- this is another book i have no idea about.

Hope that helps a little. Also, when you get to campus AMA or AMSA (can't remember which) will offer a Stedman's Medical Dictionary or Dissection Kit for signing up. I'd recommend the kit. I opted for the Stedman's dictionary and regret it. With easy internet access its a lot faster to look things up in online medical dictionaries than this.

If you have any other Q's, feel free to PM me.

Good luck and enjoy your summer! See ya in the fall.

Hey everyone. I'm in the Class of 2011. Someone had asked me if I could give my opinion on the textbooks. I copied and pasted from the link on this thread and added my comments about the books.

Thank you Jeff!

Hi everyone,

I am also finishing first year and wanted to throw in my experiences with housing and books.

Housing-
I live by myself in Redlands on Barton Road and Alabama (Parkview Terrace). It is expensive for the area but I am quite happy and plan on staying here next year. I am female and living by myself, so the number one priority was finding a place where I felt safe. Personally I don't find the commute or parking bad at all, but I did grow up in Los Angeles so perhaps my perspective is skewed. It takes me 5-10 minutes to get to school depending on the lights. Traffic at school can get jammed right before 8, but I found that I could miss it completely by going to school just a few minutes early.

Books-

Anatomy-
I absolutely hated the lab and avoided it at all costs, so the recommended photo atlas was very useful for studying for practicals. Regardless of whether you get this, get a Netter's! They are very different and Netter's is much better for learning relationships and such. There is also a Netter's computer program that I like because you can set up quizzes for yourself.

Physio-
Costanzo (BRS and the big one). The recommended ones are really expensive when you buy them all. The only thing I used them for was the questions at the end of the chapter. I like Costanzo because she doesn't assume that you know anything. In general the Lange series just confused me. However, I would recommend spending an hour in the library and making copies of the questions in the Lange series.

Biochem-
The recommended textbook is good. I bought the genetics textbook but never even opened it.

Cell Structure & Function-
Ross is essential. It is a good book and Dr. Chase uses diagrams and pictures from the book on the test. I also like Netter's histology flashcards. I didn't open the immunology book.

Embryo-
I liked the book, but you don't need it. Dr. Oberg is good at explaining things.

PDX and Neuro-
I didn't use any books for either of these classes because the notes are so great. The neuro book looks really good, but when it came down to time management I preferred to just study the notes. I found the atlas to be a waste of money. Dr. Cole posts his slides online and there are plenty of good websites.

EBM-
I used and liked the book but was probably the only one in the class who did. Get it if you are into research, otherwise it isn't necessary.

UYP-
Again, I did all the reading. There are study questions from the book that do show up on the exam. You can do well just studying the notes, but if you want to do really well you need to do the reading.

Review Books-
Buy First Aid for Step One. I use it all the time.

In general BRS is good for questions but way too detailed. I prefer high yield. I also recommend going online and finding previous editions/older of the review books. It is way cheaper and the changes are generally limited. The savings add up when you spend $7 instead of $25!

Alot of good advice has already been given by semperjeff and snowdoc (of whom I have yet to learn their identity :D). Like they said, everyone has their different preferences...I'll give you mine. First I want to start out by saying that I was one of those eager MS-0s that bought like a ton of books and 2 tons of review books before we even started the ward experience. I wanted to be "ready". This was the most stupid thing I could have ever done. I still have a whole shelf of books I have never picked up, espcially review books. For review books, I recommended that you buy them as you need them, because once you buy them at the book store, you can't return them. So yeah, now for my book suggestions:

Anatomy
I had the clinically orientated anatomy book from undergrad; I didn't use it much in undergrad and I barely used it my first year of medical school. It has alot of nice blue boxes with clinical correlates, but it doesn't contain any correlates that you can't already find in BRS or from the lecture powerpoints. So purchse that book at your discretion. For me, what really helps with anatomy is KNOWING THEIR POWERPOINTS LIKE THE BACK OF YOUR HAND. Once you do that, then you can fill in the gaps with BRS. When I came time for the anatomy mock, I had never really read BRS, so i didn't want to start it all of a sudden. Instead I chose the anatomy review book that was highly ranked in the back of First AID; it was called USMLE Road Map: Anatomy. I read this book through twice and I really loved it. It is more high yield to me than BRS. I've heard that BRS though is better to use as you take the class. Either way, you need to check them out to figure out your preference, but the anatomy powerpoint lectures are going to keep you busy enough; don't waste too much money buying extra books.

Physio
Physiology is not taught very well at LLU with the exception of endocrine physio. The school requires you to buy a seperate book for each bloody physiology section. I think this is overkill. If you have more of a phD mind, then get the physiology textbook by Boron. One of the top 3 students in our physiology class used this book. He's already pretty smart, but I'm sure Boron gave him the INDEPTH info he needed. As for me, I'm a simple man, you just wants the facts. I'm good in physio, but I'm not a physio God. For me, Physiology by Costanzo was the best thing since sliced bread. It had all those little books they wanted you to buy in one package, and she explains it really well. I would also suggest you buy BRS Physiology by costanzo for a quick review.

Biochem
If you have ever been tortured during times of war, like bamboo shoots underneath your fingernails...Biochem is worse. Just not taught well here. Sometimes the teachers really feel like we care to learn about the most breaking research in biochemistry. While the research is important, what we need to learn is what will be on Step 1, and they don't do too good of a job teaching this. Either way, Lippencotts Illustrated Reviews should be great for this class. I didn't read it much, but when I did, it was quite helpful. I also liked BRS Biochemistry. One of our professors likes to stress nutrition..he also happened to write High Yield biochem. HY Biochem isn't very helpful, but it may have you to get some of his nutrition problems right. If I had done it again, I would not have bought HY Biochem.

Cell Structure & Function
BUY ROSS, BUY ROSS, BUY ROSS. I did not get to read this book all that much, but if you really master reading this book you'll know what you need to know for their tests and the mock board. Even if you don't use it much, it is a easy read and helpful when you use it (especially because at the end of each tests she includes alot of pictures, and the pictures in Ross help you get those pictures on the test right). I wish I had not wasted my time buying review books for this subject (meaning both BRS and High Yield). When studying for the mock board, their class notes for gold (at least for me).

Immunology
The sheer amount of notes you get for this subject is truly amazing. The class notes are really thorough and should be all that you need. I would adviset that you wait and see if you need the book by Benjamini. I bought the book and read about 2 chapters in it. It was helpful, but I probably could have just borrowed it from someone.

Embryo
I bought review books for this class, but didn't use BRS or HighYield much. I didn't buy the recommended textbook either. I just studied the notes, and looked at animations for embryo online which tied things together much quicker for me than any 2D image on paper could. His class notes should be enough for you though.

Patient Diagnosis (PDX)
Their lecture notes is all you need for this class. If you know these notes like the back of your hand, you WILL do well. Its always good to buy mosby's as a reference book, but it won't help you kill the class like good their notes will.

Neuroscience
The teacher for this class is AMAZING. His notes are great and really explain anything. I used his notes and different websites which allowed you to view pictures of the brain. One atlas which is gold is the atlas by Dearmond. It won't help you so much in the beginning of the class, because you don't go over brain sections until the end of the year, but at the end of the year that atlas is GOLD. So yeah, all I used was his notes, websites, and that Dearmond atlas.

EBM
This class was the bane of my existence. I don't think that the book for the class would have helped me out too much either. I can't really give sound advice on how to do well in this class. Follow the other's advice on this one.

UYP
DO NOT BUY THE BOOK FOR THIS CLASS. His notes are definitely all you needed. This class appeals not to the knowledge part of your brain, but to the feeling side. Sometimes you'll narrow it down to 2 answers, and you have to use your gut to pick the right one. Just know the notes and work on your compassion, lol, and you should do well in the class. He may bring a question or 2 from the book, but almost not one reads the book, so you won't be hurt by it.

Review Books
I didn't use FirstAID all that much, but sometimes I wish I did. Like I said, i bought ALL THE HIGH YIELD AND ALL THE BRS BOOKS BEFORE CLASSES STARTED. Don't make the same mistake. Buy them as you need them. The ones I did use are:

USMLE Road Map: Anatomy
BRS Physiology
BRS Biochemistry and Molecular Biology

that is just my list. Others used many more books. Once again, I advise that you check the books out...wait till classes start, and then decide if you need them. The class notes should hold you over while you are trying to decide.

Thank you SnowDoc and DoctaJay! I hope your tests went well.

DoctaJay, what is the deal with EBM?

Anyone, what is UYP?

<><

There is nothing inherently wrong with Evidence Based Medicine (EBM). The class wasn't all that hard, but the final really messed me up. Alot of people with more analytical minds thought that EBM was a breeze, so don't worry about it.

UYP stands for Understanding Your Patient. Its basically a Behavioral Medicine class, where you will get questions like:

A 9 year-old girl who has a terminal illness asks the physician, "Am I going to die?" The child's parents previously told the physician that they do not want the child to know her diagnosis or prognosis. The physician's best response to the child's question is to say

a) "Do not worry, you will be fine."
b) "Yes, you will die of this illness."
c) "Tell me what your parents have told you about your illness."
d) "Your parents do not want you to know about your illness so I cannot tell you."
e) "Many children with this kind of illness live a long time."

Hmmm, I'm going with c). Or is it one of those "all answers are correct if you can argue it" type questions?

Oh, and thank you very very much to all who have posted information about living, books, and classes!

Hey guys! Thanks to all who have given their input on the textbooks, its helped me a lot. Also, does anyone know the reason why Loma Linda doesn't post their Match List? Im positive they must have a great Match List, maybe they dont want to brag.

Anyways onto my real reason for posting. I have cleared all the registration holds, but dont know what classes to sign up for. Has anyone signed up for classes? Or am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

just do all the things that you can do, and your classes will be chosen for you - in fact, your cup will runneth over as far as classes are concerned. you wont have to do anything about signing up for classes since it is a block-type schedule that everyone in your class is assigned. if i remember correctly, it wont be until much closer to the beginning of classes which is around the beginning of august for you, which means that late june or july you'll probably be notified that you have been registered and then you can get financial clearance and all that jive.

Now, having the LLU records office phone number (909-558-4508) will be useful if which of the following is true?

a) you don't believe me
b) you believe me, yet you have ocd like me
c) you are just a paraniod type of person
d) you are amused by this multiple choice format (get used to it, for it is your life for the forseeable future)

ANS:
well it pretty much is just plain useful to have the records office number. but if you answered 'C' then you have bigger problems than when the admin will get around to signing you up for classes. but remember that there is only ever one correct answer on the 17 bazillion tests that you will take over the next 2 years

by the way, congtratulations to all of you future members of the LLU SOM alumni asssociation. you're in. how freaking cool is that?

one last word of unsolicited advice. i don't know what your number one priority should be, since i don't know you and your unique situation, but really, really enjoying the last summer of your former life should really, really move to somewhere near the top of you priority list. trust me. i know that everyone above MS0 says that, but they are only giving very sound advice.

i'm just sayin.

Hi future physicians,

My roommate and I are 4th year medical students at LLU looking for someone to fill a vacated room with its own bathroom starting in July.

About the apartment:
Our apartment is located about four blocks from campus. The rent will be roughly $415 per month plus utilities, which is roughly $25-40 per person per month and covers internet, cable, water, cable, and electricity.

About us:
We are both very laid back guys who are non-SDA and come from small towns in Oregon and Northern California that can barely be found on a map. We also have most of the “high yield” textbooks from the first three years of med school that will be available at all times. Our advice on how to successfully navigate through medical school will also be available at all times.

If any of the above interests you, please feel free to PM me to get more info. Congrats on getting into medical school and good luck next year.

Hey guys! Thanks to all who have given their input on the textbooks, its helped me a lot. Also, does anyone know the reason why Loma Linda doesn't post their Match List? Im positive they must have a great Match List, maybe they dont want to brag.

Anyways onto my real reason for posting. I have cleared all the registration holds, but dont know what classes to sign up for. Has anyone signed up for classes? Or am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

no one replied to me either. i recently called in the office and they lady was nice enough to send me 2006 and 2008 (she didn't have 2007). put it on a spread sheet for you. did some simple stats so far. im not done with it but here it is for you to play around with on your ownView attachment loma linda match list stats 2.xls

Hmmm, I'm going with c). Or is it one of those "all answers are correct if you can argue it" type questions?

Oh, and thank you very very much to all who have posted information about living, books, and classes!

All answers are correct if you can argue it? Not quite. C is correct.

UYP is a unique class. Several of my friends at the very top our class worried most about UYP. It seems to be the class that the basic science oriented people have the hardest time with. I would help them with UYP and they would help me with everything else:)

Dr. C (who has been the course coordinator for years) left this year. The doctor taking over for him was one of his protégées so the class probably won't change too much, but you never know.

DoctaJay- Really? You haven't figured out who I am? Think cookies and brownies....

Thats awesome S3Park!! Thanks so much! It looks like they treat their own students well, so yet another reason I love Loma Linda!

All answers are correct if you can argue it? Not quite. C is correct.

UYP is a unique class. Several of my friends at the very top our class worried most about UYP. It seems to be the class that the basic science oriented people have the hardest time with. I would help them with UYP and they would help me with everything else:)

Dr. C (who has been the course coordinator for years) left this year. The doctor taking over for him was one of his protégées so the class probably won't change too much, but you never know.

DoctaJay- Really? You haven't figured out who I am? Think cookies and brownies....

Lol, thanks for the hint :D. I hope you continue your baking next year!

no one replied to me either. i recently called in the office and they lady was nice enough to send me 2006 and 2008 (she didn't have 2007). put it on a spread sheet for you. did some simple stats so far. im not done with it but here it is for you to play around with on your ownView attachment 10420

Thanks for the hard work on getting this list. As people look at it, I want to make a couple of comments:

Do not get excited or discouraged by any match list that you see. Where people match is so complicated that a list is highly deceptive. I could never match into Derm simply because I think it is a waste of a M.D. While others go into it because they want to spend time with their family. While others want derm because they actually like it. I may love neurosurgery, but because I never do well on standardized tests, I may never have the scores needed to match into that. Where you match is very VERY VERY specific to YOUR board scores, YOUR class rank, YOUR research, YOUR personality, etc. The most you can tell from a match list is last year's class decided to go into. Many times classes vary on what fields they decide to choose. Next year's class may have alot of folks that want to go into surgery.

As you can see from the list, alot of students match into family. That is because alot of students actually like family practice, not because they are forced into the field due to the horrible education LLU gives you.

I think that the reason why LLU doesn't openly mail out their match list is the same reason why they don't send in information to the US News Report. They don't want students making a decision about them based on irrelevant information. When you all get here, you will realize that you made the best decision in the world.

Just my .02 :).

Bump and THANKS to all the upperclassmen at LLU for all the info!!

Lol, thanks for the hint :D. I hope you continue your baking next year!

Thanks for the hard work on getting this list. As people look at it, I want to make a couple of comments:

Do not get excited or discouraged by any match list that you see. Where people match is so complicated that a list is highly deceptive. I could never match into Derm simply because I think it is a waste of a M.D. While others go into it because they want to spend time with their family. While others want derm because they actually like it. I may love neurosurgery, but because I never do well on standardized tests, I may never have the scores needed to match into that. Where you match is very VERY VERY specific to YOUR board scores, YOUR class rank, YOUR research, YOUR personality, etc. The most you can tell from a match list is last year's class decided to go into. Many times classes vary on what fields they decide to choose. Next year's class may have alot of folks that want to go into surgery.

As you can see from the list, alot of students match into family. That is because alot of students actually like family practice, not because they are forced into the field due to the horrible education LLU gives you.

I think that the reason why LLU doesn't openly mail out their match list is the same reason why they don't send in information to the US News Report. They don't want students making a decision about them based on irrelevant information. When you all get here, you will realize that you made the best decision in the world.

Just my .02 :).

I agree that a match list by itself doesn't tell much. That's why I think also knowing the percentage of students that got into their top 3 choices is very important. A couple schools I interviewed at gave this data with their match list.

Let's take an average med school X that has an average match list. If we find that most people at X match in their top 3 programs, then it very well may be that students at X heavily chose programs not based on rankings(ie they applied based on other preferences like being near family and friends). However, if we see that students at X had a hard time getting into their top 3 choices, then maybe this indicates that many cared about ranking but landed in one of their backup programs.

I realize that even still, it still gives us an incomplete analysis of the match list because i am sure that in reality, an applicant's list is some mixture of both: rank and 'other preferences'.

By the way, I'm only mentioning programs within a specialty for simplicity's sake. I think it's a legit way to do our analysis because 1. Most applicants apply to programs of a particular specialty 2. Most applicants know where they stand compared to the national average and they usually apply with a sense of realism 3. Most applicants will apply broadly so they will most likely get in somewhere.

bottom line:
There are still a lot of unknown factors that go into this process. but I think knowing how many applicants get into their top 3 choices would help a little.

you guys should really check out this pdf released by the NRMP(http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2007.pdf). VERY informative stats on the whole matching process. Research shows that you don't have to be from a top 40 research school to land your choice specialty (p24 chart 28). so, like drjay said, where you end up mostly depends on your individual effort. However, it is worth mentioning that it says nothing about what program in that specialty you get in to. You can't deny that there's a difference between USC's optho program and X's optho program. My theory is that maybe this is where research, med school, ECs, dean's letter come in to give you a competitive edge (assuming you have an appropriate board score for your choice specialty.)

all right. time to get back to my westerns. good luck everyone. see you all in august!

Did anyone pick a lender yet for unsub stanford loans? There HAS to be one that is better than the rest. I have been looking at THE and Sallie Mae, but was wondering if there are any better options (6.8% sounds expensive ;-))

Hey everybody. I am going to be a 3rd year next year, and I currently have a room available at Goodmanor Apartments. It's a big room with it's own bathroom. Rent is 500/month. The location is great. It's a two minute walk from campus, and it is very quiet. I'm a 24-year-old guy and have never had any problems with roommates before, so I think I'm pretty easy to get along with. Let me know if you're interested. You can post back on here or call me at 562-234-9061.

Did anyone pick a lender yet for unsub stanford loans? There HAS to be one that is better than the rest. I have been looking at THE and Sallie Mae, but was wondering if there are any better options (6.8% sounds expensive ;-))

IIRC pretty much all federal loans are pegged at 6.8%. I was wondering the same thing though. Yesterday I got a master promissory note and package from Sallie Mae sent "at the request of Loma Linda" after I accepted my loans, even though I haven't chosen a lender yet.

A whole lot of medical students use THE because they had great rate reduction plans. THE along with other lenders temporarily stopped offering loans due to the bad economy and legislature in washington, but they just announced that they will start offering loans again. Because of the economy, dont' expect many lenders to still pay the 1% origination fee or the other 1% fee that the guaranteer usually pays. Even THE might not pay this anymore. Anyway, I switched to Chase because I had the opportunity to erase 1 year of interest by doing so since THE stopped offering loans (this was a special deal we got, but you all won't get it since THE is now offering loans again). If this hadn't happened, I would have been quite happy staying with THE. So yeah, I would go with THE, but with the bad economy, none are going to be all that great.

I just graduated from LLU SOM in May. I got my residency in San Diego and I have 2Bed/2Bath condo for rent only 3 mins away from Campus. Here are the details and my contact info.
Rent: $1250/month
2Bed/2bath, central air/hear, washer/dryer, new kitchen appliances, new floors, walk-in closet, patio, attic, lots of storage, parking. Available NOW
This is a really beautiful unit that I loved living in as a student. This quiet and friendly complex is home to several LLU students and residents. I've put the Craigslist listing on the bottom. Contact Justin at (914) 720-4797 for a showing. Don't wait until the last minute to look for housing. Some of my classmates had to live in very unideal situations during first year because the didn't get situated until the got to school.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/apa/719236206.html

P.S. I'm also open to answer any question about my time at Loma Linda. It was a great ride.

Hey everyone, I assume you've all gotten the email sent out with our schedule for the year, book list, and required medical equipment.

Thanks to upperclassmen for the info about the book list. What about the medical equipment? Is there anything on the list that is unnecessary? The pan-optic is sweet but it seems overkill. Is it worth looking around or would it be better just to go with the LLUSM special discount price for the entire package?

Looking forward to meeting everybody in the class!

Just got the call today! I'll be seeing you all in just a few weeks!

What do you wish you had known?

Book list/info?

TIA

Hey 2012, from those of us in 2011. Congrats, first off.:hardy:

Ok, now to your questions. What do I wish I'd known...that there'd be soooo many gunners that we'd all do well; we'd kick the NBME subject exams ... they'll tell you that you have to be in/or is it above the 7th percentile to pass, seems like really low expectations, but you can do it and then some; you can win Dr. Werner's heart with a can of Dr. Pepper at the podium waiting for him when he comes to lecture:thumbup:; OSCE's not as bad as you think it'll be; oh and that Physio's not taught so much like the NBME exam:thumbdown:, so try and find more clinical questions. Oh, and the big one, that the Adventist-nonAdventist (since I'm Presby) thing would figure into so prominently. For both Adv and nonAdv alike, I recommend going to CMDA on Friday nights. It's a great way to really get to know your classmates and what's going on each other's walks and to be able to lift them up in prayer.

Don't worry if you don't know what any of that means, just try and keep it in mind somewhere and you'll see what I mean.

As for books and such, some things are in the library (the Immuno text, Mosby's, etc.) or online through MDConsult (Cecils, Harrison, etc.) and then some things you can probably get from one of us (Spirit Catches You and/or Lost Art of Healing). What books to get are really more specific to your particular strengths/weakness and current library, so I say figure it out as you go (we didn't even start Physio in the summer session, so wait to decide the books till you see what the class is like)...oh, but plan on getting at least one review book for your NBME subjects. If they make you all take what we took that's: Anatomy/Embryo, Physio and Cell/Histo. I didn't get one for Cell/Histo, but that's just me.

Ooh, that reminds me! :idea:Use the slide sets in the library to practice!!! They're sooooooo much worse than your pretty slides and trust me you'll want experience with cruddy slides.

When I went through orientation, they had the medical equipment out so you could see (at the booths). If you have your own equipment already, talk to the PDX staff. Dr. Shankel will probably be around during orientation.

The equipment is pretty pricey, but it includes everything you'll need. Scopes, blood pressure cuff, tuning forks, reflex hammer, etc.

All you'll need is a old-fashioned doctor's bag.

In my opinion, I'd go with the set offered. You use everything in it during your first year in PDX lab.

If you really want to buy your own... talk to the PDX people first.

Hey everyone, I assume you've all gotten the email sent out with our schedule for the year, book list, and required medical equipment.

Thanks to upperclassmen for the info about the book list. What about the medical equipment? Is there anything on the list that is unnecessary? The pan-optic is sweet but it seems overkill. Is it worth looking around or would it be better just to go with the LLUSM special discount price for the entire package?

Hi all,

I just got accepted to Loma Linda last week, and I had a couple questions.

Could somebody forward me that e-mail about dates, orientation, book lists, etc, as I was probably accepted after that e-mail was sent out?

Next, I had a question about the Books and Supplies. LLU appropriates $3200 for books and supplies, and I was wondering how accurate that figure is (considering you follow the advice given above about useless books), and whether it allows money to buy a laptop? I don't have a laptop, but it seems it would be very useful if everything is done on PowerPoint slides. What do you guys think of tablets like the Lenovo X61 Tablet?

Thanks in advance! :thumbup:

i spent less than 300 on books for 1st year - i bought most of my books used before class started, and those only the ones that seemed very important (new editions of netter's anatomy, brs physio, big costanzo physio, older editions of immuno and lippencotts biochem, and a few others that i dont remember or that i didnt really use). i did well with just a few books and class notes + ppt. anyway, brs physio is a wise buy.

i also spent the 900 bucks or so on equipment - thats a toss up. i was pretty pissed to spend so much money on the equip, but i had another bp cuff and stuff and the package is really high quality equip. in retrospect, i'm glad i got it - i pretty much like to have my own stuff and the otoscope and ophthalmoscope are solid and always at hand to practice. don't fool yourself, ophthalmoscopy is hard.

the rest of the money i used for incidentals, which was very nice. although i know people who spent all of the 3 grand on books and equip - to each their own.

financial aid will give you 2500 or so for a one time computer purchase. i had to buy mine sometime in mid july or so after the fiscal year was over. i got a dell online - tried to spend as much of the 2500 as possible without going over - and took the reciept to fin aid and filled out a budget increase request form. at the end of august, i was "reimbursed" through my loan check.

by the way, if it helps any of you to get a ball park idea, i live in a 1 room condo by myself and pay 900/month. i maxed out my loans, and living allowances work out to ~1400/month - it's enough, just enough, but enough nonetheless. also you might want to save some acorns throughout the school year if you can, since you wont receive any funding from june to september. some people do research and get paid for the summer, others dont. just keep it in mind.

ps - congrats to all you new ms1s - you're in and that rocks, no?

hey is anybody looking for a roommate? What sort of services/websites/forums are out there to find classmate to room with?