Logging External Fixator

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharoPod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What category should I log application of external fixator? how do you log these cases in PRR in your program?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

There isn't a specific category for application of ex-fix as far as I know. It depends on what the actual procedure is that you are doing. If we're just throwing an ex-fix on a fracture to hold it out to length and planning to come back and fix it later, then we don't really log it. If we're using it as part of another procedure, then we log that procedure. As far as PRR is concerned, applying an ex-fix for a procedure is no different than doing internal fixation as far as I have ever heard. I don't claim to be an expert on logging cases by any stretch of the imagination, but that's how I would do it.

There isn't a specific category for application of ex-fix as far as I know. It depends on what the actual procedure is that you are doing. If we're just throwing an ex-fix on a fracture to hold it out to length and planning to come back and fix it later, then we don't really log it. If we're using it as part of another procedure, then we log that procedure. As far as PRR is concerned, applying an ex-fix for a procedure is no different than doing internal fixation as far as I have ever heard. I don't claim to be an expert on logging cases by any stretch of the imagination, but that's how I would do it.

This is correct. If you are just applying a frame then it is not considered a surgery and is logged as a catgory 6 OPP. It doesnt matter if it takes you 20 min to put a delta frame on or 2 hours to put a TSF on...its still a 6. This, in my opinion, is one of the biggest flaws with PRR...

As was stated, you just log the procedure (TTC desis, pilon, brachymet, etc etc) and put that an ex fix was used in the description.