Locums anesthesiologists, pros and cons. How to navigate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

undalay

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am board certified anesthesiologist with 21 years experience. From 2009 , I have done part time locums and from 2016 full time locums. This post is to give others who might consider locums. Let me start with the cons first.

1) Locums jobs are usually contracted for 3 months at a time with a 30 day notice to terminate. That means after a few months you are refreshing your CV, collecting new reference letters , one from the chief of the anesthesia department for your next assignment. Also you need case logs, COI etc and any other documents that you are asked to submit. It is a laborious back and fourth between you and the Locum company.

Locum companies first want your CV. The question to ask them is their a definite job and what is the time frame before you get presented to the hospital that you want to work when the need arises. You have to make sure that the Locum companies just don’t collect your CV and not present you. Make sure to get an email with all the details called the submission letter. Do not respond by text messages nor get reassured by telephone conversation.

Specifically let the Locum company know that they need your permission before circulating your CV to any hospital.

Some of the anesthesiologist are hiring professionals (with experience in HR) part time to deal with Locum companies and navigate the privileges and credentials from hospitals, billing paperwork Etc): It’s all about looking good on paper and having the ability to sweet talk

2) With locums you will have to constantly plan your next moves 3-6 months in advance, Which weeks you want to work and when you want off. That means a lot of planning and even when you have done everything, be prepared to not have a Locum work. We are all highly trained and experienced and high achievers and cannot deal with not having that drama/ adrenaline rush

3). Weekends are all occupied as you are traveling, preparing for the week ahead and catching up with chores at the house

Lets assume that you are happy with the Locum job / location and the hospital/group wants to hire you full time, now the Locum company wants your new employer to buy you out. You need to know exactly what that is going to be and make sure you get that worded in the locum contract before starting to work. Some of the Locum start ups will accommodate this buyout clause. Otherwise you may not be able to directly work for the new employer for a period of 2 years

Covid era has put a wrench into the best of your planning. Some anesthesiologists are successfully including 2 months notice for termination related to COVID disruption of OR services

Pros
1). You can decide your schedule and also can decide whether you want to take calls and how many calls etc.. I am not involved nor interested in group politics and not interested in working all holiday weekends etc.

2). You know exactly how many hours you are working. It’s usually 40 hr week. But some negotiate better and get 50 hr guarantee per week. You can negotiate a better rate for overtime etc. Markets vary and it is better to network with other Locum physicians and exchange ideas.

3). Once the Locum company gets to know that you will show up and do your assignment, they keep calling you back with similar. It’s usually the same hospitals that are in remote undesirable areas!

Finally locums is very disruptive to your family. I am seeing anesthesiologists resign who are full partners for decades venting out all their hidden frustrations at toxic work places and starting locums journey. I am sure a lot of our colleagues can add and shed more light on their Locum experiences

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Sounds like it would be difficult to line up steady work & desired time off to have a full schedule.

locums is very disruptive to your family. I am seeing anesthesiologists resign who are full partners for decades venting out all their hidden frustrations at toxic work places and starting locums journey. I am sure a lot of our colleagues can add and shed more light on their Locum experiences

Can you elaborate on this a little? Are you saying they don’t start until their kids are out of the house?

Can you comment on what’s your typical rate? Any tips on how to negotiate for a better rate? What kind of leverage do you really have to negotiate? How about doing own case vs supervision vs direction? How do you navigate…..

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like it would be difficult to line up steady work & desired time off to have a full schedule.

It is not difficult. My friend does locums at Kaiser permanente and she has a full schedule, she was working for Kaiser and they know her. Now she works only day time, no night calls and is busy. She however does not get the highest rates

Can you elaborate on this a little? Are you saying they don’t start until their kids are out of the house?

Can you comment on what’s your typical rate? Any tips on how to negotiate for a better rate? What kind of leverage do you really have to negotiate? How about doing own case vs supervision vs direction? How do you navigate…..

Disruptive to family and the wife. One of my other friends has a disabled kid and cannot do full time , she does locums at a prestigious teaching hospital in west coast. So different situations. Actually Noyac has a post from 2009 re locums and I think he may be correct, in that locums is probably not a wise career move for recent graduate. Locums may be a bridge between full time employment and retirement.

im re typical rate. Network with local anesthesiologists and you can guess the rate. The rates for CRNA is 175$ and up per hour. Some are getting 200-240$ depending on experience. Remember these numbers when you negotiate.

I practice in west coast and for a lot of us we are used to solo practice and doing own cases. No supervision. There is a silent trend that we are shying away from the care team model and working only in MD practices. That way we are not helping neither AMCs nor their CRNA lackeys. I will tell you horror stories where CRNA under supposedly supervision , young cancer patient died aspirated with LMA. The CRNA never cared to call the supervising MD and he is running 4 rooms . I really don’t like supervision as you are basically a legal sieve to cheap newly minted lackeys. How to navigate, this is a good question

Any thoughts about doing locums/PRN work around your hometown to limit travel/logistics?

If you are lucky an hr or 2 drive from your house. But most of the Locum needs are in boonyville and you don’t have healthy food, and when you get older you cannot sleep on the bad hotel beds

Reactions: 1 user
...There is a silent trend that we are shying away from the care team model and working only in MD practices. That way we are not helping neither AMCs nor their CRNA lackeys...
There is a similar trend among some locum CRNAs. Some of them will not work at any hospital that employs AAs. Don't know how prevalent that is.

Reactions: 1 users
I would rather work twice the hours then have to do that rigmarole every 3 months. I find that type of paperwork more stressful than any case. But good to know as I have envisioned doing that towards the end of my career to move around and see different hospitals, OR's, areas, etc.

Reactions: 5 users
Pros:
Money $15-20k per week is possible with call and hard work.
Everything outside of 30 days is cancellable. They piss you off you don't have to come back.
Make your own schedule.
Exposure to diverse practice models and way of doing things.

Conns:
Hotel living gets old quick.
Undesirable locations.
The unknowns of the practice. You don't know who is good/bad surgeon, Crna. You don't know where stuff is. You don't know the local politics. Everything outside of 30 days is cancellable. Spend hours getting credentialed then have an assignment pulled out from under you.

Pros

3). Once the Locum company gets to know that you will show up and do your assignment, they keep calling you back with similar. It’s usually the same hospitals that are in remote undesirable areas!

Why is this a pro?!

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you attempted or had success finding locums work without going through a middleman?

Attempted and has helped group in northern suburb of LA city. However reimbursement was based on units not on hourly rate and was not worthwhile because of gaps in the schedule and waiting times. However hospitals are not interested in dealing with free standing anesthesiologists nor are they willing to negotiate with groups fairly. One large group in a medium sized in land city in California could not do uncompensated night calls as they we’re getting insured patients during day and doing a lot of Ortho and spine cases, the large group stopped providing. Now it’s a care team model, basically all CRNA.

But if there is some way to work without the agents let me know

DHB has a sweet gig at his location. I would compare it to a group in the USA where partners are earning $1.2 million per year. While rare. that does happen from time to time.

I can assure you neither $1.2 million US Dollars or $20K Euros per week (like DHB) is the norm.

Reactions: 1 users
The locums market is booming right now. So many hospitals need help that locums providers are getting high rates. I view locums as a gig for the young (a few years out) or the old (a great semi-retirement gig). Even with only working 2/3 the year the money would still be very good with lots of time off.

FYI, some locums providers contract directly with the AMCs or HCA in my area, They get a decent rate but lots of guaranteed work as these facilities scramble to recruit providers. I don't know how long this huge need for locums will go on but the next few years appears to be highly likely as many facilities struggle to recruit new providers at below market wages with above market work.

I don't know how long this huge need for locums will go on but the next few years appears to be highly likely as many facilities struggle to recruit new providers at below market wages with above market work.

These new providers are quitting as soon as the contract is done and moving from one hospital to the other on highway 99. Below market wages with above market work well said. The experienced CRNAs don’t take full time jobs , they are doing locums and interestingly they are doing some internet course work to get a PHD degree , so they can call themselves doctors

1) Locums jobs are usually contracted for 3 months at a time with a 30 day notice to terminate.

Assume one is doing fine, what is the chance that you get an early termination notice before the 3 month contract expires? Do you expect any extension? Do you have another locums lined up before starting the current one?

There is a similar trend among some locum CRNAs. Some of them will not work at any hospital that employs AAs. Don't know how prevalent that is.
And we're happy not to have them! :)

hotel room living?? why not live in / near a huge city and do locums at various surrounding hospitals that are within easy driving distance?

hotel room living?? why not live in / near a huge city and do locums at various surrounding hospitals that are within easy driving distance?
The need and number of locums in huge cities is low compared to small towns. a Few years ago there were no Locum jobs in San Diego , San Francisco etc. it’s usually full time jobs and they are taken . One time all the crnas at Staten Island university hospital went on strike and they needed several anesthesiologists to cover for contingency, that lasted only 6 weeks not worth it. Second locums pay in big cities are in the lower range. Third the acuity of sick patients in big cities is high.

Reactions: 2 users
Early termination does happen from time to time. I've had cases where surgeon who does two rooms got sick or left, contract gone. It can be very frustrating if you count on it for your sole source of income. The position getting filled can also lead to cancelations. By and large, it doesn't happen.

That's ok but not great.
Not sure where you work your experience, but there aren't many jobs out there that pay you $15k-20K/week, with ZERO production obligation. At 15K/wk, working 46 wks/yr = $690k pretax. Not many fulltime, W2 jobs in America are paying that.

Why is this a pro?!
The first part is a pro. That they wasn’t you back. I have a job in ND 2 hours from Canada that always needs people. Started at $225 an hour and a year later I got to $300. I kept
Telling them how I was never coming back and they kept begging. I went as I pleased. Two weeks at a time or here and there. Very open ended. I don’t do three month stretches. I do open ended stretches with a week or two here and there.
Getting to the location takes all day. And the winters are horrendous. And the day starts at 6 am. I have since stoped going.

Any thoughts about doing locums/PRN work around your hometown to limit travel/logistics?
Doing that now in the ICU. One place does overnight call so I need a hotel and of course they pay. The other does not so would sleep at home. 30-50 minutes from home but same large city suburbs.

Money in the big cities tends to be lower that’s why. For example, the two groups that I have talked to in town have offered $185, $195 an hour. That’s the market rate directly w group. In ICU I make way more than that. See above in small towns. $275-300 in anesthesia. Through an agency.
Soo… No Thanks. I ain’t no CRNA. They sometimes make more than that.
Will contact two agencies next week for my city and see what they say.