How often do locums company mess up your pay, delay it, etc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToKingdomCome

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there actually good companies that arent snake like?

Members don't see this ad.

Are there actually good companies that arent snake like?

Always have to keep close tabs. I have a spreadsheet documenting everything and I calculate out my pay and expenses before they send me anything. And if they don't pay me by the expected date I message them immediately. Dealt with the same issue with my academic W2 job (underpaid by about 5k -- its always underpay never overpay), so it isn't necessarily a locums thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was once overpaid by quite a bit. I think they confused at home call hours vs in house hrs. Anyway I emailed them telling them I should be paid several thousand dollars less. They get a cut off what I get paid and so they told me that the pay was correct. I did my job in informing them.

Reactions: 4 users
Always have to keep close tabs. I have a spreadsheet documenting everything and I calculate out my pay and expenses before they send me anything. And if they don't pay me by the expected date I message them immediately. Dealt with the same issue with my academic W2 job (underpaid by about 5k -- its always underpay never overpay), so it isn't necessarily a locums thing.
My W2 job is actually on point with pay

My 1099 job owes me $2400. They said the next pay check they will include it. You think they are gas lighting me or is this an acceptable response ?

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
They also owed me $180 last pay check but paid it asap . Feel like this locum company keeps messing up

My 1099 job owes me $2400. They said the next pay check they will include it. You think they are gas lighting me or is this an acceptable response ?

Maybe u should tell them upfront your projected pay? Unless u are doing OT with unpredictable hours on top..

I was once overpaid by quite a bit. I think they confused at home call hours vs in house hrs. Anyway I emailed them telling them I should be paid several thousand dollars less. They get a cut off what I get paid and so they told me that the pay was correct. I did my job in informing them.

I was confirmed and contracted for in-house weekend call... but when I checked on the day of service, i was actually put as backup call. Was told they'll contact me when I'm needed. Someone else js already in-house call. I think there is a strong argument for me to still be paid the agreed upon rate. I wouldn't have picked up the shift otherwise.

Reactions: 1 users
I was confirmed and contracted for in-house weekend call... but when I checked on the day of service, i was actually put as backup call. Was told they'll contact me when I'm needed. Someone else js already in-house call. I think there is a strong argument for me to still be paid the agreed upon rate. I wouldn't have picked up the shift otherwise.

Absolutely.
When I was a hospitalitist, they doubled booked me and another “provider”. I showed up, lived in the hotel… got paid exactly what I would have.
You did your part. Should not come out of your paycheck for someone’s mistakes.

Reactions: 3 users
Can someone help me interpret this. I've asked several people including an employment lawyer and they all said it's super vague, and it's probably not worth the effort to fight.

"OT Pay Rate XXX.XX, after the scheduled shift, 8 hours or after 40 hours in a week"

So if I worked 20 hours on Monday and Tuesday (thereby accumulating 40 hours for the week), my understanding is that every other hour worked W-F should be paid at an overtime rate. However, the locums company is saying that OT hours don't count towards overall hours in a week, and it's only after 40 "regular" hours that I am eligible for OT. I vehemently disagreed. After several follow-ups on my end they stated they will escalate it. However, I got paid the original (lower) rate and never heard back, despite multiple attempts at following up.

So far this "misinterpretation" has only cost me about 1k (not worth going to court over), however I'm so fed up with this company that I almost want to out of spite.

Can someone help me interpret this. I've asked several people including an employment lawyer and they all said it's super vague, and it's probably not worth the effort to fight.

"OT Pay Rate XXX.XX, after the scheduled shift, 8 hours or after 40 hours in a week"

So if I worked 20 hours on Monday and Tuesday (thereby accumulating 40 hours for the week), my understanding is that every other hour worked W-F should be paid at an overtime rate. However, the locums company is saying that OT hours don't count towards overall hours in a week, and it's only after 40 "regular" hours that I am eligible for OT. I vehemently disagreed. After several follow-ups on my end they stated they will escalate it. However, I got paid the original (lower) rate and never heard back, despite multiple attempts at following up.

So far this "misinterpretation" has only cost me about 1k (not worth going to court over), however I'm so fed up with this company that I almost want to out of spite.

Locums recruiters are snakes. Always have backup plan if u decide to give your notice.

My contract is: 40hrs guaranteed. 5* 8 at the beginning. Later I changed it to 4*10. Both in written. Any hours I worked beyond assigned shift time are OT.

So far so good.

In terms of pay, they messed up one backup call but paid shortly after I pointed it out.

Why do you work 20 hours’ shift as a locum? If you do, you should get 10hrs Ot each shift.

Members don't see this ad :)
My contract is: 40hrs guaranteed. 5* 8 at the beginning. Later I changed it to 4*10. Both in written. Any hours I worked beyond assigned shift time are OT.

So far so good.

In terms of pay, they messed up one backup call but paid shortly after I pointed it out.

Why do you work 20 hours’ shift as a locum? If you do, you should get 10hrs Ot each shift.
I don’t actually work 20 hours, I was just using that as an example. I do however work 10-11 hours per day, so typically am hitting 40 hours by Thursday. In my mind, my entire Friday should be paid at the OT rate because I have worked over 40 hours for the week. They perceive it differently.

All worded differently.

40 hours guaranteed only works if you are a full time type or locums or just like daytime hours or planning to be there an entire week

Hourly but not guarantee is the worst. Never take it unless place is within 15-20 min from your house and you have nothing else going on. There are people I know who do that but the place has to be super close for them.

My wording on my contract is 8/10 hours guarantee shift. Meaning if I’m schedule for 8 hours and leave at 6 hours. I’m guaranteed those 8 hours

But another job I don’t have a weekday guaranteed. It’s 22 min from me. I’ll swing over if they need me for a few hours 3-8pm usually so I’m not “wasting” anytime. So going from full time job across town to the second job which is 1099. Just depends how I feel and if they need me. But I only get paid for the hours I work. $1250-1700 is still easy cash since I’m not going out of my way to cover.

All worded differently.

40 hours guaranteed only works if you are a full time type or locums or just like daytime hours or planning to be there an entire week

Hourly but not guarantee is the worst. Never take it unless place is within 15-20 min from your house and you have nothing else going on. There are people I know who do that but the place has to be super close for them.

My wording on my contract is 8/10 hours guarantee shift. Meaning if I’m schedule for 8 hours and leave at 6 hours. I’m guaranteed those 8 hours

But another job I don’t have a weekday guaranteed. It’s 22 min from me. I’ll swing over if they need me for a few hours 3-8pm usually so I’m not “wasting” anytime. So going from full time job across town to the second job which is 1099. Just depends how I feel and if they need me. But I only get paid for the hours I work. $1250-1700 is still easy cash since I’m not going out of my way to cover.
You should be getting a premium for that sort of “on demand” service or getting guaranteed hours.

You should be getting a premium for that sort of “on demand” service or getting guaranteed hours.
Nah. It’s doesn’t bother me. I’m not out of town.

It’s backup/extra money to make.

That’s the difference between a pure locums and a w2 person like me with a full time daytime gig who wants to make some extra cash after working to 7-2pm/3pm ish.

This for sure. Our time js not cheap. And last minute need should be a huge premium
Or you can sit at home and make $0.

You are leaving money on the table by saying no.

So if you had a w2 job like me. I’m done with work around 2pm 80% of the time.

Someone you knows for years who’s in charge of another hospital down the street. Who you go skiing with. Tells you if you want to make some extra cash. Would you turn it down? Basically taking over rooms from another doc who’s supervising crnas anyways. Cases done by 7-8pm. Crnas leave at 7pm. At worst you just sit in a room for an hour. No ob. No trauma. Nothing.

So I can go home and make zero. Or go to side gig middle of the week and make a few extra bucks doing the same thing I would be doing at home. On the couch watching tv but getting paid.

I have had this happen for my OT hours, it usually gets added on the following paycheck, although rarely the second paycheck.

Nah. It’s doesn’t bother me. I’m not out of town.

It’s backup/extra money to make.

That’s the difference between a pure locums and a w2 person like me with a full time daytime gig who wants to make some extra cash after working to 7-2pm/3pm ish.
I’m full W2 with Locums on the side . It’s literally extra curricular