State of Locums market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It is said that business school is where the straight C students in college go. Hospital administration is where those that were C students in business school go.
When I was in business school people liked to say, “it’s called b-school, because that’s the average grade.” There was a generous curve.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Calls man. Those 24 hr calls add up big time. Like 10k plus 24 hours weeknight. Multiple 24 hours in a row. Add call stipend on weekends as well (in addition to call hours). “Call stipend” is just another word for bonus money in the locums world. I’ve had an AMC word it as $350/hr weekday plus $500 “stipend”. They use this terminology to artificially keep their rates low to their clients due to market forces. It’s really $412/hr for 8 hours. They just don’t want to word it like that. So a stipend of $3000/24 hr is really adding $125/hr to whatever base rate you negotiate.

The key to being able to work 72/96 straight hours on the clock is to have crna on ob and OR. Obviously it is near suicide to do it MD only. I’ve done 64 hour MD only call. It’s not fun. So all you guys pounding your chest that you don’t need crnas. Try doing 64 hours straight MD only and think next time you say that if you want to make money. Work smarter. Not harder folks. Use the crna to get some rest. Crna has good life also. They raking in 700k 1099 annually they tell me on the locums trail with 10 weeks off.

They will pay you say $425 x 24 hours equals $10200 Plus the $2000-4000 per 24 hour weekend call “stipend”

Add in holiday pay. And I’m not even in house at those rates. My rate is guaranteed on Xmas day. Zero cases or 10 cases.

When places get desperate. They will pay.

Everything is negotiable these days.
Is that 24 hours of in house work?

Is that 24 hours of in house work?
In general yes. In house 24 hours

Few places in bfe may give u beeper rate/flat rate $6000-9000 for weekend per 24 but even those are coveted spots. Either full time w2 docs want those extra pay slots. Or other locums docs want it as well

Again I think u just need to pick ur spots show up with a one week or two week assignment see how u like it

They will not use u as a new person just to drop in on the weekend. I can almost assure u they.

Members don't see this ad :)
All Locums talk should be kept in the anesthesiology club IMO.

Some won’t understand what’s going on.
Some will seethe at what’s going on
Those not in our field of work shouldn’t see what’s going on

Reactions: 24 users
What is a reasonable rate for weekend call hourly rate when compared to weekday hourly rate ? 20 percent mark up ?

All Locums talk should be kept in the anesthesiology club IMO.

Some won’t understand what’s going on.
Some will seethe at what’s going on
Those not in our field of work shouldn’t see what’s going on
Yes. Can this actually be moved? And all similar threads? This is the whole point of the club's existence. I personally know of undesirable types that read and weaponize this forum and /r/anesthesiology.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes. Can this actually be moved? And all similar threads? This is the whole point of the club's existence. I personally know of undesirable types that read and weaponize this forum and /r/anesthesiology.
Normally threads are moved to the private forum at the request of the OP.

lots of potentials:
-militant CRNAs
-hospital administrators
-AMC leadership
-locum company execs.
Well I troll the locums company executives. The militant crnas tell me how much they are making.

Hospital admin lazy. Don’t want to deal with anesthesia. Literally a huge hospital system in northeast pawn off the anesthesia negotiations to low level employee. As low as u can get. Someone making 45k a year handling a 100 million dollar anesthesia contract negotiations with a huge huge AMC. That’s how idiotic hospital admin is.

Healthcare in the USA especially hospital based is so messed up.

Reactions: 1 user
Well I troll the locums company executives. The militant crnas tell me how much they are making.

Hospital admin lazy. Don’t want to deal with anesthesia. Literally a huge hospital system in northeast pawn off the anesthesia negotiations to low level employee. As low as u can get. Someone making 45k a year handling a 100 million dollar anesthesia contract negotiations with a huge huge AMC. That’s how idiotic hospital admin is.

I’m glad that where I am the hospital CEO and CMO have come in person to a few of our our anesthesia group meetings. They’re both well aware of what we do… and we get a big subsidy to keep things moving.

But I’ve been places where most of the admins are nearly brain dead too - and if anything these days days this more common than not.

Reactions: 2 users

There are plenty of CRNAs making at least 400k, especially independents in west coast.

Reactions: 1 users