LMU-DCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I just read through the last couple of months of posts. I'm looking forward to meeting you new guys and wish you well. See you in August!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know anything about the waitlist? Last I heard, about 3 weeks ago, they were anticipating more movement throughout this month, yet it appears no SDNers have gotten recently. And no noobies have come in, saying they've gotten in.

For those of you who went through this last year, was there a point at which the class was pretty much full?

I'm so stressed about this because my apartment lease is almost up, I can't stay month-to-month, and every complex I've talked to won't include this as a contingency for me signing a lease. On top of that, I'd prefer to give notice at my job even if I'll never have to come back there. You never know when you need a reference for something. Plus, it kinda goes against my personal work ethic to walk away from a job without notice. Gah. I'm rambling.

All that said to repeat my question, does anyone know anything about the status of the incoming class and the alternate list?

Does anyone know anything about the waitlist? Last I heard, about 3 weeks ago, they were anticipating more movement throughout this month, yet it appears no SDNers have gotten recently. And no noobies have come in, saying they've gotten in.

For those of you who went through this last year, was there a point at which the class was pretty much full?

I'm so stressed about this because my apartment lease is almost up, I can't stay month-to-month, and every complex I've talked to won't include this as a contingency for me signing a lease. On top of that, I'd prefer to give notice at my job even if I'll never have to come back there. You never know when you need a reference for something. Plus, it kinda goes against my personal work ethic to walk away from a job without notice. Gah. I'm rambling.

All that said to repeat my question, does anyone know anything about the status of the incoming class and the alternate list?

I'm sorry babe face :( I'll be at school on Friday and will swing by and ask Robyn about it. Hope that will help ya some! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry babe face :( I'll be at school on Friday and will swing by and ask Robyn about it. Hope that will help ya some! :D
Awww. Thanks, chica. I just wish I knew what else to do. I'm trying to be patient but I feel like I should be doing something rather than waiting on them to call. I just don't know what else to do! Twiddling my thumbs has never been a strength of mine. :oops:

Enjoying your summer??

I was just wondering if there was anyone out there who wanted to sell their "Foundations for Osteopathic Medicine" book. If interested let me know. Thanks!

Does anyone know any news about the accredidation status of LMU?

Provisional Accreditation.

LMU-DCOM just changed the website and the new one looks fantastic. Great job DCOM.

oh ok I see!! Very nice new website. There's even a whole page dedicated to accreditation. thanks!

The status won't change to full accreditation until the first class graduates....please correct me if I am wrong someone

Hi guys,
Has anyone moved in the school apartment yet? I am moving in next week, can't wait to meet you guys.

Members don't see this ad :)
The status won't change to full accreditation until the first class graduates....please correct me if I am wrong someone

My understanding is that the status changes from provisional to full accreditation right before graduation, that way the class of 2011 graduates from a "fully accredited" school.

Either way, it's just a matter of time- no other school has been as highly decorated going through the accreditation process.

Hi,
Out of curiosity, does DCOM use NBME Subject Exams in addition to the school exams?

Thanks

Hi,
Out of curiosity, does DCOM use NBME Subject Exams in addition to the school exams?

Thanks

As of right now, I don't think DCOM has implemented any NBME or NBOME shelf exams for clinical rotations. Perhaps a current rotating MS-3 can comment on if they are giving you guys any exams for your rotations? Then again, they may be too busy to be on SDN. :smuggrin: There definitely aren't any NBME subject exams for the first 2 years. But we do have a mega cumulative exam at the end of 1st year (not apart of your grade, so don't panic) to measure how you'd do on the comlex on the subjects taken first year.

hey guys I turned down my seat at DCOM yesterday. so to you waitlisters there is still a spot to be filled.

Does the school apartment open on Sat? Since I am moving in on Sat

Thanks

Does the school apartment open on Sat? Since I am moving in on Sat

Thanks

I had to move in on a Saturday as well...usually Evelyn isn't there, but she is really nice and will meet you at the Inn on saturday morning so you can sign your lease and get your keys

I had to move in on a Saturday as well...usually Evelyn isn't there, but she is really nice and will meet you at the Inn on saturday morning so you can sign your lease and get your keys

Thanks, BTW, do you know if she would stay at the Inn on Sat afternoon or evening as well ? since I won't get in town till noon or sometime like that.
Are you still living in Inn this year?

Thanks, BTW, do you know if she would stay at the Inn on Sat afternoon or evening as well ? since I won't get in town till noon or sometime like that.
Are you still living in Inn this year?

She won't stay there...she lives close by, so what she does is just drive from home..give you keys, etc..and goes back home...she is very, very friendly and accommodating :). Just shoot her an email and see what she says.

I am staying at the inn this year as well

I hope I get off the waitlist soon. I have to start moving to PA if not and sign my lease :scared: I'd REALLY rather go to LMU :love:

hi DCOMers, I'm moving to Harrogate in a few weeks to join y'all for the class of 2013! For the older students, I was wondering if DCOM had any regulations on hair color...do we have to have natural looking color or can we have blue tips or something? Just want to make sure I adhere to the professional attire regulations. Thanks! I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

hi DCOMers, I'm moving to Harrogate in a few weeks to join y'all for the class of 2013! For the older students, I was wondering if DCOM had any regulations on hair color...do we have to have natural looking color or can we have blue tips or something? Just want to make sure I adhere to the professional attire regulations. Thanks! I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

:eek:

I would seriously get a headstart on changing your appearance. Regardless of what the school policy, most patients are going to be scared if their doctor walked in with blue hair.

And don't give me the, "Modern doctors are unique...blah blah blah"

If you want to be a professional, you're going to have to act like one.

:eek:

I would seriously get a headstart on changing your appearance. Regardless of what the school policy, most patients are going to be scared if their doctor walked in with blue hair.

And don't give me the, "Modern doctors are unique...blah blah blah"

If you want to be a professional, you're going to have to act like one.

LOL I think there are things much scarier than having blue tips. The student handbook doesn't specifically address hair issues, but it does say you should use your best judgment when dressing yourself. I wouldn't do anything too extreme, or anything you couldn't remedy quickly because Dr. Leo would have the last say on whether you look professional or not. I would definitely make sure you had "normal" hair when you start rotations though, don't want any docs that are grading you or that you are trying to impress to get a residency spot thinking you look unprofessional. :)

To those on the waitlist, I withdrew from LMU today (I think, maybe tomorrow). Either way a spot is opening up. I really liked LMU and think it is a great school. I was accepted to a school which is 20 minutes from my front door, so it didn't make sense to uproot my wife and move out there as much as I would have liked to. Good Luck to all.

cassrae said:
Your posts are my favorite because then I can see Ryan Reynolds ;)
thanks, girlie. :) He has such a hot body. Definitely eyecandy.

To those on the waitlist, I withdrew from LMU today (I think, maybe tomorrow). Either way a spot is opening up. I really liked LMU and think it is a great school. I was accepted to a school which is 20 minutes from my front door, so it didn't make sense to uproot my wife and move out there as much as I would have liked to. Good Luck to all.
To which I say again, ohhhh! Pick me!!! Pick me!!!

:D

Of course, this post is two-fold.

• To proclaim my kindergarten style enthusiasm yet very real desire to be picked for c/o 2013.
  • and to give Cass something to stare at for those times when boredom sets in.
:laugh:

Like cbtk and Cass said, I don't think there's anything about it in the school handbook, but you will be seeing standardized patients in your first year and they are responsible for evaluating you on 10 points per exercise during your encounters with them. One area on which you are graded is "professional dress/appearance." I would hate for you to lose points because you picked this particular way of expressing your individuality. You will learn a lot about understanding the way your patients perceive you regardless of your competence - you just don't need to make it any harder on yourself!

Congrats on your acceptance!

I'm just letting the waitlisters know that I gave up my seat for the Class of 2013 today. Good luck to yall!

I'm just letting the waitlisters know that I gave up my seat for the Class of 2013 today. Good luck to yall!

ohhhhhh.....:scared: please, please, please, please, please, pleaaaassseee...... :xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

pick me!!! pick me!!!!!

ohhhhhh.....:scared: please, please, please, please, please, pleaaaassseee...... :xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

pick me!!! pick me!!!!!
:laugh:
Nice to see I'm not the only one. Sounds like the adcomm has a few spots to fill this week. :luck: Hope we both get that call..

Question for the current students:

Does anybody else shop at the food co-op in Knoxville? And if so, do people coordinate trips?

Does anyone know if there's a specific day each week the adcomm meets when they have seats to fill? I'm dying for some news here.

If you have to ask it's probably too extreme. Let your grades stand out for you, not your hair.

yea i have the same question as vols...i heard that adcom meets thursdays...so for the deats that opened, does this mean that the committees met already???

desperately waiting for news....

yea i have the same question as vols...i heard that adcom meets thursdays...so for the deats that opened, does this mean that the committees met already???

desperately waiting for news....

I heard on a friday from them.. but dont stress too much (and Im not sure if it is every week).

For any OMS-2's, I was just wondering how soon LMU-DCOM disburses the loan money for the first semester OMS-1's. Just trying to plan for my upcoming bills. Thanks!

For any OMS-2's, I was just wondering how soon LMU-DCOM disburses the loan money for the first semester OMS-1's. Just trying to plan for my upcoming bills. Thanks!

I heard we will have the money by August 7.

Girl! Where are you headed?

Sorry! I haven't been on for a while. It was a really tough decision because LMU-DCOM is such a great school, but I decided to attend VCOM.

Last edited:
I talked to the admissions office today and was told the class is full and as it stands right now, there won't other movement from the waitlist. Of course, the caveat was added that they'll continue to review the class and if there are any changes, people will be accepted right up to orientation.

:(

:cry:

I talked to the admissions office today and was told the class is full and as it stands right now, there won't other movement from the waitlist. Of course, the caveat was added that they'll continue to review the class and if there are any changes, people will be accepted right up to orientation.

Well as depressing as it is to hear, thank you for sharing the news! I was hesitant to submit my re-application, but I guess I will go ahead and do that. Oh well... :)

Well as depressing as it is to hear, thank you for sharing the news! I was hesitant to submit my re-application, but I guess I will go ahead and do that. Oh well... :)
No problem, chica. That's the same position I've been in. I need all the $$$ I can spare so even though LMU is still my top choice going into Round 2, and even though I wanted to be one of the first ones applying, I needed to wait until I knew more definitively that the door was pretty much closed to give all my info back to them. :oops:

Hi,
Does anyone know if LMU-DCOM student health insurance cover optometric services (e.g.: eye exams, glasses or contact lenses...)?

Thanks

Were they trying to trick you? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.