LMU-DCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't worry about it. The instructors will accomodate you with your injury and, honestly, I can't think of any techniques that you learn in first semester that would require lifting much weight. We didn't get very deep into balanced ligamentous until second semester. I'm sure Dr. Cross would like to hear how you tore it though! Congrats on your acceptance - looking forward to meeting you this Summer!:thumbup:

I hope not---I has this done in Feb: http://www.orthosports.com.au/swarm/hip/interactive_hip_resurfacing.html

And no, I'm not 60 years old (27 actually)

Members don't see this ad.

has anyone heard any news about the waitlist yet? I'm getting very anxious!!!!

Can anyone tell me if the top floor has been converted into study areas? Is that even being considered (or did I dream that?) That is one thing that the school seemed to be lacking when I interviewed (semi-private study areas).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just FYI, but I enjoyed me a nice Guinness just the other evening overlooking the city of Knoxville from the bar in the Sunsphere.

It cost me 3 bucks.

Yes, you read that correctly. I about fell over.

Oh, and Downtown Grill and Brewery (again, in Knoxville) has some pretty good brews...2 dollar pints...all the time.

One more thing, there's a Brewer's Festival in Knoxville every fall in World's Fair Park. Unfortunately, I've not been able to participate yet due to me 1. not knowing about it 1st year and 2. Having a freaking test the following Monday this year.

I hope to go sometime before heading out of the area.

Too bad there's not a residency in "beerology". I'd be pretty well set I think.

Aaall riiiight! Whew, what a relief! (As if I'll have time for that...hey, who knows!)
Note to self: ...Sunsphere...Downtown Grill and Brewery...scribble thank you note to MJB....

I called admissions office and talked to Amy she said all paperwork was due by friday if students wanted to keep their seat and she said we should see more waitlist movement in the next couple weeks.....:xf:

Hi yall,
I am sure the school year already ended, right? How do you feel about the first 2 semesters? Anyway, as an incoming OMS-1, I am so anxious and nervous about how to survive the first year at DCOM.

Therefore, it would be great if any OMS-1ers can give some thoughts on the first year. I would like to know how hard it is when it's compared to undergrad. How did you manage time to do everything? Can you give some tips on how to study for exams? Does DCOM has old exams from previous classes for students to use as reference?

Lastly, speaking of survival at DCOM, I would like to know the attrition rate in the first year too.

Thanks guys,
See you in Fall

I called admissions office and talked to Amy she said all paperwork was due by friday if students wanted to keep their seat and she said we should see more waitlist movement in the next couple weeks.....:xf:

Admissions had to wait until May to start going through the paperwork, or at least transcripts, because colleges wouldn't be able to send final ones until then. I've only been told that they will E-mail me if anything is missing. I completed their checklist back in March (transcripts too), so if anything is missing and I'm not told before the deadline, I'd expect time to fix it.

The clinic is handling our health records. They went through mine when I called and verified that I'm complete. So that part is a relief. =)

Good luck! Though I want you in of your own accord and hate feeling like I'm wishing ill on someone else to say that here. ;)

Ouch! From avascular necrosis of the femoral head?

Yeah---I had a mid-shaft femur fracture when I was 14 (sledding) that was treated with an IM femoral nail---nail came out a year later with no problem. When I was 22-23, I developed some joint pain that was diagnosed as AVN. Laid off impact exersize for a few years and just dealt with the pain----but got really bad the last couple of years.

A guy doing resurfacing came and did grand round orthopedics (my dad is an ortho) and we listened to his talk and got his info. Ended up flying out to L.A. and got it done Feb 18th.

It has been a dream----so much better. Been running a little already!!

Admissions had to wait until May to start going through the paperwork, or at least transcripts, because colleges wouldn't be able to send final ones until then. I've only been told that they will E-mail me if anything is missing. I completed their checklist back in March (transcripts too), so if anything is missing and I'm not told before the deadline, I'd expect time to fix it.

The clinic is handling our health records. They went through mine when I called and verified that I'm complete. So that part is a relief. =)

Good luck! Though I want you in of your own accord and hate feeling like I'm wishing ill on someone else to say that here. ;)

Problem solved. So relieved

Last edited:
You're right. I submitted all paperworks very early in March and I thought that everything is ok. However, today after I read someone's post, I decided to give DCOM a call to check (just double check). Turned out that I have been missing some titers and I did not hear anything from school in 2 months. What's the deal, man? What would happen if I did not call the school today? My missing paperworks are not done until next week. Hope school will give me an extra week to get it done since it's not my fault.

Part of the deal is that it's also our responsibility to make sure everything has been received by the school. Though that requires the school to provide the answer when you ask.

As for our health info, it looks like our files have changed hands a few times and the clinic got backed up. But Mary K. checked what was needed for me and does call back.

Part of the deal is that it's also our responsibility to make sure everything has been received by the school. Though that requires the school to provide the answer when you ask.

As for our health info, it looks like our files have changed hands a few times and the clinic got backed up. But Mary K. checked what was needed for me and does call back.

I did not say who's right or who's wrong. I am just shock and I want an extra week to get it done. Small thing can become a disaster.

I did not say who's right or who's wrong. I am just shock and I want an extra week to get it done. Small thing can become a disaster.

Problem solved. So relieved.:D

Members don't see this ad :)

Don't get your panties in a bunch over the innoculations, folks :p. The school understands that things happen - just get them done as soon as possible. I know people in my class were still completing their vaccines well into the first few months of school to finish up with titers, so just be upfront with your circumstances and they will try to accomodate you. It's just important to have it all in order before you start seeing patients. Some of the vaccine series take a few months to complete, so they need to make sure you've started the process. They aren't going to not let you start school because you're behind ;)

Don't get your panties in a bunch over the innoculations, folks :p. The school understands that things happen - just get them done as soon as possible. I know people in my class were still completing their vaccines well into the first few months of school to finish up with titers, so just be upfront with your circumstances and they will try to accomodate you. It's just important to have it all in order before you start seeing patients. Some of the vaccine series take a few months to complete, so they need to make sure you've started the process. They aren't going to not let you start school because you're behind ;)

You're absolutely correct:D. I thought that if I don't have everything by the deadline then I'm screwed. I was panic:laugh: for nothing. I am so so...:confused: Anyway, school already explained it to me. So relieved. :)
Anyway thanks for clarifying this issue.

P.S: How was your first year? If you don't mind, can you share a bit of your experiences at DCOM. I am kindda nervous though.

I called the admissions office to check to see if they had all my info/paperwork--------left a mesage yesterday and today w/ no response.

Hope I still have a spot!!! :confused:

I was accepted off of the alternate list today and will be attending. Many thanks to everyone on here who provided info when I asked. Good luck to everyone else who is still waiting.

You're absolutely correct:D. I thought that if I don't have everything by the deadline then I'm screwed. I was panic:laugh: for nothing. I am so so...:confused: Anyway, school already explained it to me. So relieved. :)
Anyway thanks for clarifying this issue.

P.S: How was your first year? If you don't mind, can you share a bit of your experiences at DCOM. I am kindda nervous though.

Is there anything in particular that you want to know about? You don't need to be nervous - just stay organized and you'll be fine :thumbup: I guess my biggest piece of advice would be to have an outlet outside of school, some sort of hobby you enjoy doing. I remember when I started that I was under the impression that I would have to say goodbye to everything I enjoyed doing, but it's actually very important to relax and take breaks in between studying to help you refocus when you return to the books. That's not to say you should go overboard and not spend enough time studying, but it just doesn't do you any good to study 24/7. I would also recommend simplifying your life outside of school. Make sure you have a peaceful living environment (make *sure* you get references from landlords if you are not living in the student apartments - I had to deal with a miserable situation that distracted from my studies and caused more stress than school itself), don't overcommit, and make sure your family/significant other understands what kind of commitment you are undertaking so they don't take it personally when you have to spend Friday night with your Netter book instead of him/her.

I don't necessarily think subject matter of med school has been a lot more difficult than undergrad, but it's a lot more information at a quicker pace, so that's why it's important to stay on top of it and not save all your studying for the weekend. Something else I had to accept is that it's just not possible to know everything, so you do what you can and hope there are questions on the stuff you know! You might have a lousy test grade every once in a while (the first block exam is usually very humbling :laugh:) but it's not going to break you, so don't stress over it. It takes some time to figure out your study style and once you find your groove, things are smoother from there. I think that's why in general people say the second year is easier - there's more info and tougher content than the first year, but you finally have figured out how to study and what to expect.

Let me know if you have any specific questions - I can at least give you my two cents!

Is there anything in particular that you want to know about? You don't need to be nervous - just stay organized and you'll be fine :thumbup: I guess my biggest piece of advice would be to have an outlet outside of school, some sort of hobby you enjoy doing. I remember when I started that I was under the impression that I would have to say goodbye to everything I enjoyed doing, but it's actually very important to relax and take breaks in between studying to help you refocus when you return to the books. That's not to say you should go overboard and not spend enough time studying, but it just doesn't do you any good to study 24/7. I would also recommend simplifying your life outside of school. Make sure you have a peaceful living environment (make *sure* you get references from landlords if you are not living in the student apartments - I had to deal with a miserable situation that distracted from my studies and caused more stress than school itself), don't overcommit, and make sure your family/significant other understands what kind of commitment you are undertaking so they don't take it personally when you have to spend Friday night with your Netter book instead of him/her.

I don't necessarily think subject matter of med school has been a lot more difficult than undergrad, but it's a lot more information at a quicker pace, so that's why it's important to stay on top of it and not save all your studying for the weekend. Something else I had to accept is that it's just not possible to know everything, so you do what you can and hope there are questions on the stuff you know! You might have a lousy test grade every once in a while (the first block exam is usually very humbling :laugh:) but it's not going to break you, so don't stress over it. It takes some time to figure out your study style and once you find your groove, things are smoother from there. I think that's why in general people say the second year is easier - there's more info and tougher content than the first year, but you finally have figured out how to study and what to expect.

Let me know if you have any specific questions - I can at least give you my two cents!

missdochopeful,
Thanks for your advices. It ceased my anxiety. :thumbup:

Is there a dress code at LMU for guys? So I know what clothes to buy.

It's pretty lenient. No T-shirts, sweatshirts, torn/tattered jeans, or flip-flops for most days. You will need to dress up for certain days, like OSCEs or any time you will interact with a patient, however.

so I'm assuming most guys probably just wear a polo and jeans? or do most wear like dress pants and a dress shirt? (idk if thats too formal)

lol That's a shame, I have a plethora of shirts.

And what counts as nice shorts? If I buy non ripped shorts at like American Eagle, is that ok? lol Sorry to ask too many questions, but I want to spend my money right. I know though for sure no flip flops, holes in jeans, t shirts, jorts (not that I ever wear the wretched jean shorts anyway), etc.

hey all,

I don't know what info they sent out with your acceptance package, but we finally have another internet option other than Communicom. Communicom has routinely dropped service and performed poorly for me over the past year. I just got my house wired with all fiber optic from Sunset Communication (no instal fee!). When you get your new address, call and see if you can get their service. 5MB/sec for about $50/month. The installer told me that most of the town of Harrogate is now on their grid.

Looking forward to meeting you all this summer!

http://www.sunsetcom.net/

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

DO NOT USE COMMUNICOMM for your internet. I had it as well and was not able to stream mediasite, which as you can imagine was incredibly frustrating. I now have AT&T and couldn't be happier.

Is there a suitable (flat, smooth) place to rollerblade, or will I have to go back and forth in the tunnel? :D

To all M2 and M3 guys,

What did you do or what are you doing for the summer between M1 and M2? Did anyone or does anyone get involve in summer medical preceptorships programs?
Thanks

Last edited:
To all M2 and M3 guys,

What did you do or what are you doing for the summer between M1 and M2? Did anyone or does anyone get involve in summer medical preceptorships programs?
Thanks

I am doing absolutely nothing.. just chilling in WI, relaxing, reading books for fun, going on vacations, that sort of thing. This is what one of my teachers and some friends in the now 3rd year class advised me to do, as it is the "last summer of our lives" ha. But seriously they just didn't want us to get burned out, as 2nd year is going to be really busy. I know there are several people though that are doing medically related things, whether that is research or shadowing or a summer program of some sort, it's entirely up to you. We were told to read a few books this summer that will help us with cardio and respiratory next year, so I might be reading those, but that's the only school related things I will be doing :).

So im currently on the waitlist at LMU and im not sure at what point should I go ahead and submit my new AACOMAS for 2010..I want them to know im obviously very interested in attending the school. However, I dont want them to think ive given up on this season..opinions please?

ROOM FOR RENT:
3 bedroom/2 story house with a room for rent.
Newly constructed house.
Good size bedroom with BIG WALK IN CLOSET!
Washer and dryer inside house.
Big yard and patio.
LESS THAN 2 MILES from LMU-DCOM!
During Fall 09, there will be 2 males roomies (an OMSI and an OMSII). There is also a well behaved dog living in the house.
RENT IS $375/mon plus split utilities evenly.
AVAILABLE July 1st

If anyone is interested, or you know anyone who might be interested, contact me.
[email protected]

So im currently on the waitlist at LMU and im not sure at what point should I go ahead and submit my new AACOMAS for 2010..I want them to know im obviously very interested in attending the school. However, I dont want them to think ive given up on this season..opinions please?
Fantastic question. I've been wondering the same thing.

I've contacted everyone I know to contact in admissions and get told the same thing-there's been virtually no movement on the waitlist. My plan ahead self won't let me wait until school starts to submit my 2010 app so I'm waiting on a fee waiver to come back and then plan to submit my 2010 app. I figure by that point it will be end of June, early July. If AACOMAS takes 2 weeks (being optimistic there), the school would have my app by mid-late July. At that point, the '09 class is pretty much set. Having my 2010 app in shouldn't hurt my chances, at least from my POV.

You should ask admissions about that, specifically about whether there would be a conflict if they kept two files on you. But it takes AACOMAS six weeks to process primaries this early in the cycle, so DCOM wouldn't have to start anything until a week before orientation anyway. They can see a list of who has checked the DCOM box on school designations even before you submit the primary (or at least schools could through AACOMAS' older online application), though not your other data. It probably would just demonstrate interest in the school.

At least do the time-constraining steps now. Have your school(s) send transcripts to AACOMAS; it might take a week or two for them to be mailed, but AACOMAS will start your file even before you submit the application.

Also, six weeks is plenty of time to find some things that can strengthen a secondary application. Ask admissions if there's anything you can do to improve your chances if you have to apply again.

Is there a suitable (flat, smooth) place to rollerblade, or will I have to go back and forth in the tunnel? :D

There is one stretch of paved greenway from campus to Cumberland Gap that is fairly flat. Well, flat for around here anyway. I think it's about 1-1.5miles long.

So for other people who have been accepted....I've sent in all my loan information, health forms, transcripts, that background check thing, etc. So what now? Are we supposed to do anything else or just wait now until July 31st?

Anyone get anything new in the mail?

Last edited:
So for other people who have been accepted....I've sent in all my loan information, health forms, transcripts, that background check thing, etc. So what now? Are we supposed to do anything else or just wait now until July 31st?

Anyone get anything new in the mail?

Well, make sure that July 28th is the date stuck in your head, since you have to be there at 8 AM for orientation or you lose your seat.

Hi - is anyone still looking for a roommate? I am 24, female, from NC, and looking for someone (or even 2 roommates!) to rent a house with! Let me know if you're interested or if you have a room to rent!

Hi - is anyone still looking for a roommate? I am 24, female, from NC, and looking for someone (or even 2 roommates!) to rent a house with! Let me know if you're interested or if you have a room to rent!

Are you looking for female roomie/s, or does it matter?

I would prefer females, but I'm not against living with guys (as long as they are clean!)

I was wondering what tablet pc current students have and would they recommend it?

I haven't gotten in to LMU yet, I am on the waitlist but the school I am accepted at wants us to pick out our own computers. When I interviewed I really liked the ones you all have. Do you know the model number?

They are Lenovos. I like them, but I don't think there's a way to opt-out of buying one even if you're not particularly interested in them.

I haven't gotten in to LMU yet, I am on the waitlist but the school I am accepted at wants us to pick out our own computers. When I interviewed I really liked the ones you all have. Do you know the model number?

It's the X61. I like it a lot :thumbup:

The incoming class will get the Lenovo X200 tablets. '11 got their Gateways? replaced by that model too a month ago too. The school couldn't repair their old ones anymore because Gateway went out of business.

It's the X61. I like it a lot :thumbup:

x61t to be exact :)(the only difference being t for tablet..the x61 is a regular notebook. ;)

The incoming class got x200's or x300 tablets, which I like better

Edit: I guess its x200 (thanks Styria)

Is the Orientation on the 28th for Students only? Or do parents/family attend too? I ask because at one of my siblings it was family also. Just wanted to know so I don't have someone fly in for no reason.

Is the Orientation on the 28th for Students only? Or do parents/family attend too? I ask because at one of my siblings it was family also. Just wanted to know so I don't have someone fly in for no reason.

Orientation is just for students, unless you have a spouse or significant other in which case I believe the Student Advocate Association has an orientation for them as well on the first day if they are interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.