LMU-DCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anywhere within 50 miles of Harrogate to get a Guinness draft?

.:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is anyone else flipping out about taking out these enormous loans? :eek:

Guinness, not Budweiser! GUIINNNEESSSS... :slap:j/k, sorry, I was dying for an opportunity to use that one.

TXDO, did I interview with you? I interviewed on the Monday after Thanksgiving (I think?:confused:).

Jager: Med school sticker shock?! Are you serious?? Paying on student loans until I'm 60 doesn't scare me AT ALL (*shudders*). I don't even know if I'll get a return on my investment. Just the interest alone is going to break the bank, especially the last two years.

Yippee!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else flipping out about taking out these enormous loans? :eek:

I have mini panic attacks whenever I think about it for too long.. so I try not to think about it often.. repress repress repress.

Also, we had a fun financial aid lecture to tell us how much interest we would be earning, how much that meant we would be paying back by the time we were done, etc... boy was that fun.

Is there anywhere within 50 miles of Harrogate to get a Guinness draft?

I'm not sure if they have Guinness at the "Loose Caboose" down in Cumberland Gap, but they do have several beers on tap, at least it's something :)

I'm not sure if they have Guinness at the "Loose Caboose" down in Cumberland Gap, but they do have several beers on tap, at least it's something :)

See you guys soon. Can't wait

Last edited:
Guinness, not Budweiser! GUIINNNEESSSS... :slap:j/k, sorry, I was dying for an opportunity to use that one.

TXDO, did I interview with you? I interviewed on the Monday after Thanksgiving (I think?:confused:).

Yippee!

See u soon.

Last edited:
I emailed Janette today to find out how the waitlist is being handled this year ie ranked or whatnot. I have about 7 days before I have to make my final choice and I'm praying that someone decides to go elsewhere and I get that call. I know in the end we all will be doctors but I believe LMU is the place I should get my degree from.... As so as I hear from her I will post and let you all know.

:xf:

Good luck! By the way, after seven days, would a lease be your only obstacle to taking DCOM if it opened up?

I emailed Janette today to find out how the waitlist is being handled this year ie ranked or whatnot. I have about 7 days before I have to make my final choice and I'm praying that someone decides to go elsewhere and I get that call. I know in the end we all will be doctors but I believe LMU is the place I should get my degree from.... As so as I hear from her I will post and let you all know.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!:xf:

See you guys soon. Can't wait

This isn't what your post said earlier today... ;)

I read it earlier and was going to come back and respond, but no need I guess haha.

I'm rooting for ya, girl! :xf::luck:

I read it earlier and was going to come back and respond, but no need I guess haha.

I noticed that too :laugh: ;)

:D Yeah, you're right. Sorry for the edit. What I wrote earlier about beer was a bit inappropriate, therefore I thought it was better if I took it off.
Anyway, thanks for reading it.;)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
TXDO, no offense meant, but I would be less concerned about the way your purported EtOH consumption is perceived, but rather how your inability to master the mechanics of the English language (e.g., simple subject/verb agreement) is perceived.
However, if your grammatical ineptitude was a result of EtOH, then please accept my apologies. ;)

MYOB

Old maids sweeten their tea with scandal.:laugh:
Cheers.;)

Last edited:
The dingos ate your baby

Last edited:
Good luck! By the way, after seven days, would a lease be your only obstacle to taking DCOM if it opened up?

i wish that was the obstacle but i have to be moved to where I am going to school by the 1st of June because of my military training this summer. So after the 15th ( which my next deposit for my seat is due at Touro) I need to start looking either in vegas or TN( :xf:). I would love to be able to wait till middle of June for Tn but only way that is going to happen is if Army decides I'm not training this summer ( which is possible very unlikely though).... SO fingers crossed.....

BTW thanks for everyone keeping their fingers crossed for me!!!

FWIW---heard today that Mr. Debusk put a bid on the Hospital in Middlesboro. Apparently he was trying to find a way build one for a while and this sort of made more sense.

Was told that the theory behind it was, "well he's trainin' all these damn doctors, he needs a place to work em!!"
:laugh:

FWIW---heard today that Mr. Debusk put a bid on the Hospital in Middlesboro. Apparently he was trying to find a way build one for a while and this sort of made more sense.

Was told that the theory behind it was, "well he's trainin' all these damn doctors, he needs a place to work em!!"
:laugh:

Wow, so he's gonna actually own a hospital? I still don't get it? Can you or someone else explain this infor more?

Soccerchic- we still have a room for rent in the house I'm renting. Perhaps that takes away some of your stress :)
Best of luck!! :luck:

I got my financial forms in April, I'm sending in all the stuff now. I'm not too late am I, to my knowledge there wasn't a deadline for it. I just needed to think hard with family about how much I needed, choosing a lender, etc.

....sighs....stiillllllll waiting on the wait list. :boom: :xf:

Just FYI, but I enjoyed me a nice Guinness just the other evening overlooking the city of Knoxville from the bar in the Sunsphere.

It cost me 3 bucks.

Yes, you read that correctly. I about fell over.

Oh, and Downtown Grill and Brewery (again, in Knoxville) has some pretty good brews...2 dollar pints...all the time.

One more thing, there's a Brewer's Festival in Knoxville every fall in World's Fair Park. Unfortunately, I've not been able to participate yet due to me 1. not knowing about it 1st year and 2. Having a freaking test the following Monday this year.

I hope to go sometime before heading out of the area.

Too bad there's not a residency in "beerology". I'd be pretty well set I think.

....sighs....stiillllllll waiting on the wait list. :boom: :xf:
I just received a call from Dr. Stower's yesterday...I'm in off the waitlist!! I had just about completed my 2010 AACOMAS application. I am so pumped!

Don't give up FDOA, there's still a lot of time for things to change. Best of luck to you!

histobob-
just curious when did you interview and when were you waitlisted? I was waitlisted 4/9... sigh

Histobob-
thanks for that update! i am glad to know SOMEONE has been pulled off the waitlist just to know there IS movement at all occurring! now if only we could all be so lucky :)

I interviewed Nov. 3 and got waitlisted a few weeks later

I just received a call from Dr. Stower's yesterday...I'm in off the waitlist!! I had just about completed my 2010 AACOMAS application. I am so pumped!

Don't give up FDOA, there's still a lot of time for things to change. Best of luck to you!
Congrats on getting pulled off the waitlist!!! :)

congrats..... fingers still crossed... my military training fell through they messed up my paperwork......hopefully Ill get that call seeing I can wait a little longer

congrats..... fingers still crossed... my military training fell through they messed up my paperwork......hopefully Ill get that call seeing I can wait a little longer

Ill be pulling for you

Last edited:
Anyone else with waitlist news? I'm waiting on final grades to update so I can update the school. And worried they won't get my update before they start pulling people off the list.

Hi everyone, I haven't been on SDN too much lately but I remember how integral it was to the 'gettin into med school' process.
I want to wish everyone who has made it in to DCOM a big Congratulations!! You will not be disappointed.
And to all who may still have their fingers crossed a 'we're pullin' for ya'!:thumbup:

Maybe I can help with the housing question...

I have a house about 8 minutes from the school in a nice neighborhood where students, faculty and staff have also chosen to purchase homes. I have spent the last year fully remodeling this home. New carpet and flooring throughout. Updates include a new Trane heating and cooling system with new ductwork. Wireless internet. Cable TV. Many new light, bath and shower fixtures, new water heater. Some furniture provided. I plan to add a large deck off the first floor this summer for fabulous cookouts!

Looking to rent:
3 bedrooms, 2 baths
Large kitchen, new GE appliances, lots of cabinets
Dining room, Living room, lots of closet space
Dedicated study room (or the third bdrm)
Rec room with pool table
Large laundry room with full size washer and dryer provided
High speed wired/wireless internet, cable TV included
ADT monitored security system
All utilities included
No Pets, No Smoking
Big bedrooms $450/ month
Master bedroom $500/ month

PS If a couple wants to rent the whole upstairs, that would be great!
or get a couple of friends together and choose which bedroom you want.

Attachments

• DSCN0097 (WinCE).JPG
    DSCN0097 (WinCE).JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Last day of classes for OMS-1 today! Just one week left! Yay!
(Not so much for all the OMS-2's out there!)

I was recently pulled off of the waitlist at my state MD school 45 min from home and can't pass that up. I loved this school and wish all those who attend and the one lucky one who gets my spot the absolute best. Good luck and God Bless!:thumbup:

I was recently pulled off of the waitlist at my state MD school 45 min from home and can't pass that up. I loved this school and wish all those who attend and the one lucky one who gets my spot the absolute best. Good luck and God Bless!:thumbup:
congrats man... surprised you had a tough time getting in at jackson... good luck. I kinda did the opposite... turned down state md to go to DCOM... whatever makes you happy.

I just peeked at your stats, wow that's amazing to get in MD with those numbers, I am so jealous man. Hahaha, just kidding:laugh:.

Congratulation!!

Good Luck and Congrats..... hopefully maybe that seat will go to me:xf:

Last call, thanks sweetpea! I need all the luck I can get. You're applying here this next cycle, aren't you? Please tell me you are.
Me too me too! I want you here so bad! :)
:luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:
I know! Thanks for the :luck:. :) I want to be there sooo bad, Cass. I'm gearing up right now for cycle 2 and DCOM is still at the top.

No one has heard anything? Maybe it's b/c the school is wrapping up the end of the year?

Anyway. Couldn't stand to let this thread get to the bottom half of the page. Sorry if the bump got someone's hopes up.

No one has heard anything? Maybe it's b/c the school is wrapping up the end of the year?

Anyway. Couldn't stand to let this thread get to the bottom half of the page. Sorry if the bump got someone's hopes up.

Dangit! I got so excited for a second there...

Dangit! I got so excited for a second there...
Girl! Do you think I would have let you read it on here? nono. When it happens, there will be a couple of hysterically excited phone calls. And you and roomie will be on that list.

So I'll be starting this fall and I recently tore my Ulnar Collateral Ligament and might need Tommy John surgery this summer (sucks... there goes golf, motorcycle, fishing, anything that involves not being lazy). Will I miss out on a lot of OMM if I do this surgery this summer? I will have limited range of mobility and wont be able to lift much weight at all for about 2-3 months. I hear that it shouldn't be a (large) prob since a lot of the first OMM stuff is muscle energy and I could use my other arm. Any opinions?

So I'll be starting this fall and I recently tore my Ulnar Collateral Ligament and might need Tommy John surgery this summer (sucks... there goes golf, motorcycle, fishing, anything that involves not being lazy). Will I miss out on a lot of OMM if I do this surgery this summer? I will have limited range of mobility and wont be able to lift much weight at all for about 2-3 months. I hear that it shouldn't be a (large) prob since a lot of the first OMM stuff is muscle energy and I could use my other arm. Any opinions?

Nah, you'll be fine as long as you have 1 hand...some people went through knee surgery in the middle of the year....and they had no issues

I wouldn't worry about it. The instructors will accomodate you with your injury and, honestly, I can't think of any techniques that you learn in first semester that would require lifting much weight. We didn't get very deep into balanced ligamentous until second semester. I'm sure Dr. Cross would like to hear how you tore it though! Congrats on your acceptance - looking forward to meeting you this Summer!:thumbup:

hey all,

I don't know what info they sent out with your acceptance package, but we finally have another internet option other than Communicom. Communicom has routinely dropped service and performed poorly for me over the past year. I just got my house wired with all fiber optic from Sunset Communication (no instal fee!). When you get your new address, call and see if you can get their service. 5MB/sec for about $50/month. The installer told me that most of the town of Harrogate is now on their grid.

Looking forward to meeting you all this summer!

http://www.sunsetcom.net/

Status
Not open for further replies.