LMU-DCOM Class of 2013!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello all! I interviewed on October 7th and got accepted!!!!! I cannot wait to meet all of you and begin our journey to medicine, more specifically Osteopathic medicine!!!! :D I'm so excited I can barely take it!

My name is Adam.
I am getting married to one of the greatest blessings in my life on May 30th.
We have already started paying rent ($500/month) on a house in Middlesboro. The house is beautiful! There's another house for rent around the corner from us that is also quite nice. Check out the LMU-DCOM 2008-2009 Discussion thread for more info about that house. Can't wait to see you all in the fall! God bless!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi you guys

I just wanna ask if anyone know the booklist for the first semester of M1. Since I already graduated in Dec and have been taking vacation for more than 2 months. Have enough fun and now it's time to hit the books just for fun also. I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Steven D.:D

Hi you guys

I just wanna ask if anyone know the booklist for the first semester of M1. Since I already graduated in Dec and have been taking vacation for more than 2 months. Have enough fun and now it's time to hit the books just for fun also. I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Steven D.:D

Here is a link to DCOM's website that has both booklists and schedules on the left side of the screen. Just click on them.

But let me say this.....please do not go and buy books. First, the list may change, and it did this year. Second, pre-studying is a waste of time b/c you don't know what is emphasized. This makes a big difference. You may trudge your way thru some difficult pathway, only to find out that its 1 or 2 enzymes that really matter. So, instead of going out, spending time with family and friends, playing golf or shopping, you spent hours learning something you don't need to worry about. Take time for the things you won't be able to do once school starts, you will wish for that time back.
Third, it won't help your grades in any way. Fourth, looking at Netter's is nothing like a real body. Fifth, sorry for the rant, but the topic comes up often and I want to make sure people enjoy their time before school. You will study enough once evenything starts. And yes, you will have plenty of time to study what you need to study.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just put a deposit down for one of Roger Ball's apt...is anyone else living there ? also does anyone know of a good bank in the area?

HEY GUYS,

This is going to be expenisive, and I was just wondering if any of you are considering HPSP, FAP, or just the old (pay the loans off) method. I am thinking about FAP over HPSP, but not sure..... I just did taxes and FAFSA and was wondering what current students at DCOM are doing. Do they have any type of institutional assistance there at DCOM or what? Thanks for your help.

BTW - how much should the average person be taking out in loans per year? $50,000 ish ???:confused:

HEY GUYS,

This is going to be expenisive, and I was just wondering if any of you are considering HPSP, FAP, or just the old (pay the loans off) method. I am thinking about FAP over HPSP, but not sure..... I just did taxes and FAFSA and was wondering what current students at DCOM are doing. Do they have any type of institutional assistance there at DCOM or what? Thanks for your help.

BTW - how much should the average person be taking out in loans per year? $50,000 ish ???:confused:

Only commit to HPSP or another service contract if you really think doing that job would be fun. Don't do it for the loans. Financially you will be better off scraping by and paying off loans post residency than going the HPSP route. This is because post residency you will make 2-3x more in private practice per year. Also, depending on your specialty you can often get hospitals or groups to help you with loan repayment (sometimes offered as sign-on bonuses). A study I read once said that only FPs came out even in the end no matter how they did it. So if that's the case why would anyone do HPSP? A few reasons really, they 1) want to serve anyway so why not get the money? or 2) have families and can't survive off loans alone.

About the loan amount....I personally just take what's offered without turning anything back, but I know of some people (especially those who have a working spouse) who make it off less. I'd say it's always better to take out more the first year because if you don't use it all you can let that amount roll over and take less the second year, whereas if you take less to begin with and get stuck you're...well.....

Hope this is somewhat helpful. Just my opinion.

Hi all 3 LMU-DCOM classes,

Just out of curiosity, is there any Asian-American Med student at DCOM? It doesn't matter any particular Asian reference. I am Asian-American too.

Thanks

Hi all 3 LMU-DCOM classes,

Just out of curiosity, is there any Asian-American Med student at DCOM? It doesn't matter any particular Asian reference. I am Asian-American too.

Thanks

Yes, there are Asian-American students here at DCOM.

I think that is something that happened exclusively with the undergrad part of the school. It draws in a lot more attention when they attach the name of the med school with it. It was brought up on the forums last year but I cant remember exactly what was said. You might try searching for it.

I was just wondering if anyone planning on attending is Muslim? is there an MSA

This was an incident that was alleged to have happened on the undergraduate campus. The person who created the website decided to make him/herself the judge and created the website. Putting the medical school name on the page was most likely intended to give it more credit. It had nothing to do with the medical school and I'm not certain anything was ever proven in the case anyhow. Seemed like someone was trying to prove their case via the media to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just wondering if anyone planning on attending is Muslim? is there an MSA

I'm a first year at DCOM and hold jummah prayers in my apartment. I was thinking about starting an MSA this year, but things got pretty intense last semester. Feel free to PM me or through Facebook (I have a very stereotypical muslims name....initials MMH).

Hi. I'm a student from SC with an interview at LMU-DCOM March 10th. I submitted my secondary last Thursday and they called me Monday morning to schedule...I thought was really fast, and I'm hoping that means they liked what they saw! Here are my numbers and a little about me:

Science GPA-4.0
Non-Science GPA-3.9
Cummulative-3.95
MCAT: 23M

Associates in Health Science-Emergency Medical Technology (Magna cum Laude)

Bachelor of Science-Biology (Magna cum Laude)

NREMT-Paramedic 3 yrs. (certification in ACLS, PALS, PEPP, GEMS, BTLS, CRP), Volunteering at a local rescue squad for 5 years, adjunct Instructor at a local technical college teaching electrocardiography and pharmacology (also trained in using SimMan) for 1 yr., Research 2 years at undergraduate institution, pathology shadowing (viewed three autopsies), Church Pianist since I was 13 yrs old.

What are my chances for acceptace? Also, do you have any advice for the interview? This school looks awesome. I think I would choose it over allopathic schools!

Thanks so much for your help!

I can't exactly make that decision.. but what I can say is that your stats are FAR superior to mine and I was accepted. :) Just as long as you're not a total jerkface, i think you'll be okay. :laugh:

They will like that your emergency squad experience includes lots of volunteer time. I have several years too and they asked about that. Your grades are good, but they might ask about your MCAT scores and what you think happened, if it should have been a little higher. The main thing you're up against right now is that it's late in the cycle. But that doesn't mean they don't still have a seat or two held open in reserve, just like their waiting list is their own protection to make sure that all of the seats are filled.

I was wondering if anyone was considering applying for the Health Service Corps Scholarship or anyone reading this has been awarded the scholarship? Just looking for others' thoughts.

Hi guys I was just wondering if any of you would have any idea what my chances are getting accepted. I know I'm a little late in the process with submitting everything but I finally got my supplementals in right before 3/1 and they contacted me the next week for an interview on March 30. (Does anyone else have an interview then???) Hearing back so quick, is that a good sign??? Or is that just normal???

I'm really worried because I only have a 20M MCAT. I have pretty good grades and both healthcare volunteer and work experience, I'm just really scared about that MCAT score. I want to go here sooo bad!

Also, do you know if they will take into consideration the best you've gotten in each section of the MCAT? I took it twice and got the same overall score both times, but if you take my best in each section I would have a 23...which would be a little more competitive.

well.... i would have told you it would be unlikely to get an interview with such a low MCAT score, but you did it. You must have really blown them away with your work experience and EC's. Since they invited you for an interview, they looked passed your MCAT score and if you have a good interview...you will most likely be accepted.

I was wondering if anyone was considering applying for the Health Service Corps Scholarship or anyone reading this has been awarded the scholarship? Just looking for others' thoughts.

Hi there,
I just talked to Ms. Peace- The Financial Aid Administrator about this scholarship. Well, since our school is still not fully accredited so we are not eligible for it until 2011 or 2012.

hope this helps
TXDO:)

I was wondering about that... bummer!

lack of accredition is not an issue is it? Can that hold you back from residencies positions etc.? Why hasn't it been accredited yet? does it just take time? I got in and I'm trying to weigh the good and bad of my options.

lack of accredition is not an issue is it? Can that hold you back from residencies positions etc.? Why hasn't it been accredited yet? does it just take time? I got in and I'm trying to weigh the good and bad of my options.

It normally takes at least 4 years to get full accredition for a new medical school since they want to see how the first class perfom. Since LMU-DCOM has opened for more than 2 years (2007) so it would take 1 or 2 more years to be granted accredition. LMU-DCOM is a wonderful school with new high tech and friendly school, so it's no doubt that it will be fully accredited, jut matter of time. Lastly, it will not have any problem for residencies since the school will get accredited before the first class graduate which before they even get in residencies.

Hope this helps.
P.S: LMU-DCOM is a good school, and there a so many people are dying to get a spot at here so please do not waste your chance. In case, you don't want to go here, please inform early so the other peoples who are on the wait-list can have a chance.
Thanks.
TXDO:D

Accreditation is an ongoing process over many years. Don't worry, all schools go through the same process their first 4 years and LMU-DCOM has received extremely high marks and commendations. It is highly highly HIGHLY unlikely any part of the accreditation will not go through and like was already said, the residency programs will not even know...besides...by the time you would graduate the accreditation will have been done for 2 years.

Only commit to HPSP or another service contract if you really think doing that job would be fun. Don't do it for the loans. Financially you will be better off scraping by and paying off loans post residency than going the HPSP route. This is because post residency you will make 2-3x more in private practice per year. Also, depending on your specialty you can often get hospitals or groups to help you with loan repayment (sometimes offered as sign-on bonuses). A study I read once said that only FPs came out even in the end no matter how they did it. So if that's the case why would anyone do HPSP? A few reasons really, they 1) want to serve anyway so why not get the money? or 2) have families and can't survive off loans alone.

About the loan amount....I personally just take what's offered without turning anything back, but I know of some people (especially those who have a working spouse) who make it off less. I'd say it's always better to take out more the first year because if you don't use it all you can let that amount roll over and take less the second year, whereas if you take less to begin with and get stuck you're...well.....

Hope this is somewhat helpful. Just my opinion.

HEY GUYS,

Hey doctorbean,
I am in the Navy, and it is definitely not a decision I made lightly, but there is a lot of misinformation out there. NP is right in that you definitely should not choose the military just to get your school paid for, otherwise you will get out and have the realization, "Oh my gosh, they actually want me to be in the military...it wasn't just a free ride!" I know that sounds kind of silly, but there are plenty of people with that attitude and they are all very unhappy.

Here's some reasons I chose the Navy: Travel (we have bases in Italy, Japan, Germany, etc.), no debt, awesome places to do residency and be stationed, the opportunity to treat those who give it all to protect our country, big fat 20k bonus, all expenses paid rotations at a Navy hospital (I will be going to San Diego and Virginia Beach)...and the list could be much longer.

About the amount of money: It is only true that a civilian doc would make more money than a Navy doc in very competitive fields (such as Ortho). Depending on your specialty you get very large bonuses to try to match what you would see in the civilian world...the military is not blind, they know that if they want to keep you, they have to pay you. Besides, the amount of money you make on paper is not everything. If you own your own practice you must provide your own health insurance and your own malpractice insurance, in the Navy, both are free. Think about how much that adds up to every year! We also get a tax-free allowance for housing (when you're active duty) and depending on where you live, that can be significant. I believe in a place like San Diego that is a couple of thousand dollars a month...TAX FREE!

As a resident, you make more than twice the amount that civilian residents make, so when your friends are scraping by on 35k/year, you'll be making roughly 90k (you can check online for the exact numbers). All of our residencies are dually accredited.

Last thing before I get off my soap box: NO ONE is going to spend 3/4 of their paycheck to pay back their student loans. After scraping by for that many years the first thing you're going to do is go out and get more debt...a big house, a nice car, etc. Meanwhile, your interest is piling up on your $200k worth of student loans. With interest around 5-10%, that's significant. You'll be paying those back for 30 years and by the time you're done, I guarantee you've paid back over double what you borrowed in the first place.

So...definitely don't join the military just for the money, but don't discount the money either, it's not as insignificant as many think.

By the way, ~55k is what the school will borrow for you every year, not to mention the credit card debt you will likely accumulate when you go to some of the amazing conferences that will be available to you. If you need any more info, or if you're interested, PM me and we'll talk more...that goes for anyone.

Although you're not currently eligible for the Health Service Corps Scholarship due to DCOM's provisional accreditation, you can still use them later. They have a loan repayment program offering $50,000 for two years service (http://nhsc.bhpr.hrsa.gov/join_us/lrp.asp), which can be extended. Maybe they'll be willing to cover tuition for previous years if you apply in 2011 while still a student, like the military is, though without a backdated stipend.

AAMC list of loan repayment/forgiveness programs, some of which can start during residency: http://services.aamc.org/fed_loan_pub/index.cfm?fuseaction=public.welcome

State-designated shortage areas might not match the HRSA list. Do what you can to get both, wherever you go.

also...if you do the naval program, can you do your residency at another program or does it have to be within the navy?

also...if you do the naval program, can you do your residency at another program or does it have to be within the navy?

More than likely it will have to be within the navy. I think it is very rare for them to let someone do a civilian residency.

I think you're required to go through the match process first with them, and only after that would you have the option to scramble or apply for civilian residencies. Also, unlike the other branches, the Navy wants 50% surgeons. They have different needs.

what does 50% surgeons mean?

is that bad or is that good? as in, if im interested in surgery-specifically orthopedics is that a smaller window of opportunity or the same opportunity as regular medicine would provide?

is that bad or is that good? as in, if im interested in surgery-specifically orthopedics is that a smaller window of opportunity or the same opportunity as regular medicine would provide?

You should talk to a Navy health scholarships recruiter. The one I spoke with said half the Navy's residencies are surgical. Orthopedic surgery is listed on the Navy's page on the matter, though that page doesn't include frequency. http://www.navy.com/careers/healthcare/physicians/

Does anyone know of apartments or townhouses close to DCOM? Unfortunately, I cannot live in the DCOM housing apartments because I don't think they allow pets.

I think you're required to go through the match process first with them, and only after that would you have the option to scramble or apply for civilian residencies. Also, unlike the other branches, the Navy wants 50% surgeons. They have different needs.
When you enter the matching process you would put your top 5 choices. Of course if you match with Navy they will want you to do the Navy residency. If you ask me, I think you're really missing out if you didn't do a Navy residency. Double the pay, time in service, etc.

Be careful of recruiters tossing around numbers. Surag, go to the link I sent you. It lists all of the residencies, the # of residents they take, and where they are. You can count them and divide them by the total...I doubt it's 50%. It looks like there are 11 ortho Navy spots. If they need more spots they will allow you to civilian defer, but in any case, if you want to do ortho your grades and especially your board scores better be up to par. Here is the link again:
http://navyhpsp.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

You should talk to a Navy health scholarships recruiter. The one I spoke with said half the Navy's residencies are surgical. Orthopedic surgery is listed on the Navy's page on the matter, though that page doesn't include frequency. http://www.navy.com/careers/healthcare/physicians/
Knoxville is very lucky to have an amazing recruiter for HPSP. Chief Zitelli is the best in the business. He can answer all your questions, and he will not even take your contact information unless you are really serious...so you won't have to worry about constant nagging or the fear of "being in the system"
Here is his website: http://www.navyofficer.info/
His contact info can be found there. I highly recommend him over any other recruiters.

When you enter the matching process you would put your top 5 choices. Of course if you match with Navy they will want you to do the Navy residency. If you ask me, I think you're really missing out if you didn't do a Navy residency. Double the pay, time in service, etc.

But the military match results come out in December, so they have first dibs in that sense too. Do the top 5 choices you put down have to be Navy if you're in their program?

Hey doctorbean,
I am in the Navy, and it is definitely not a decision I made lightly, but there is a lot of misinformation out there. NP is right in that you definitely should not choose the military just to get your school paid for, otherwise you will get out and have the realization, "Oh my gosh, they actually want me to be in the military...it wasn't just a free ride!" I know that sounds kind of silly, but there are plenty of people with that attitude and they are all very unhappy.

Here's some reasons I chose the Navy: Travel (we have bases in Italy, Japan, Germany, etc.), no debt, awesome places to do residency and be stationed, the opportunity to treat those who give it all to protect our country, big fat 20k bonus, all expenses paid rotations at a Navy hospital (I will be going to San Diego and Virginia Beach)...and the list could be much longer.

About the amount of money: It is only true that a civilian doc would make more money than a Navy doc in very competitive fields (such as Ortho). Depending on your specialty you get very large bonuses to try to match what you would see in the civilian world...the military is not blind, they know that if they want to keep you, they have to pay you. Besides, the amount of money you make on paper is not everything. If you own your own practice you must provide your own health insurance and your own malpractice insurance, in the Navy, both are free. Think about how much that adds up to every year! We also get a tax-free allowance for housing (when you're active duty) and depending on where you live, that can be significant. I believe in a place like San Diego that is a couple of thousand dollars a month...TAX FREE!

As a resident, you make more than twice the amount that civilian residents make, so when your friends are scraping by on 35k/year, you'll be making roughly 90k (you can check online for the exact numbers). All of our residencies are dually accredited.

Last thing before I get off my soap box: NO ONE is going to spend 3/4 of their paycheck to pay back their student loans. After scraping by for that many years the first thing you're going to do is go out and get more debt...a big house, a nice car, etc. Meanwhile, your interest is piling up on your $200k worth of student loans. With interest around 5-10%, that's significant. You'll be paying those back for 30 years and by the time you're done, I guarantee you've paid back over double what you borrowed in the first place.

So...definitely don't join the military just for the money, but don't discount the money either, it's not as insignificant as many think.

By the way, ~55k is what the school will borrow for you every year, not to mention the credit card debt you will likely accumulate when you go to some of the amazing conferences that will be available to you. If you need any more info, or if you're interested, PM me and we'll talk more...that goes for anyone.

Thanks guys for the info. You guys are a big help. It seems like the N Recruiters are all bias and give false info. I am thinking about waiting to sign up. Maybe after STEP 1. Once I know FOR SURE that the military (and medicine) is for definitely for me. I don't know, but signing up now just seems too early unless you know for sure you want to join the forces. Again, thanks for the info....i love this site.

Dr. Beanii

:xf:Has anyone received thier financial award letter yet or is it too early. I have already sent in all my stuff (FAFSA), taxes about a month ago. Just wondering. Thanx.

:xf:Has anyone received thier financial award letter yet or is it too early. I have already sent in all my stuff (FAFSA), taxes about a month ago. Just wondering. Thanx.

I talked to Ms. Peace a couple of weeks ago and she said that aid letters would probably go out at the beginning of april. :) Don't sweat it! It'll come!

I talked to Ms. Peace a couple of weeks ago and she said that aid letters would probably go out at the beginning of april. :) Don't sweat it! It'll come!

I appreciate it forks4spoons. can't wait to actually meet all you people.

Hi guys,
I am new to the loan applying process, so can anyone tell me what are the next steps after I already applied FAFSA and got the SAR report?

Thanks guys

to any current DCOM students... how long before school started did you start living in your place for med school. How long before school do you guys suggest to move in to get everything arranged? Also, do you suggest anything to do over the summer before school starts. Thanks:cool:

to any current DCOM students... how long before school started did you start living in your place for med school. How long before school do you guys suggest to move in to get everything arranged? Also, do you suggest anything to do over the summer before school starts. Thanks:cool:

If you are going to be living in a house (rental or purchase), I would try to get to TN maybe 1-2 weeks before starting. This gives you enough time to get things arranged, get used to the area, change things in the house (if you can), etc. If you are going to live in the apartments, most people get there the weekend before starting. The rooms are smaller, so arranging is easier.

As for stuff to do the summer before.....nothing related to studying. Do not "study ahead" as it won't work and you will waste the last remaining chunk of free time doing the equivilant of putting your finger in your nose and hoping a booger looks like a forearm muscle. Enjoy family and friends, travel, play video games, anything fun.......but no studying. There is more than enough time for that once school starts.

If you are going to be living in a house (rental or purchase), I would try to get to TN maybe 1-2 weeks before starting. This gives you enough time to get things arranged, get used to the area, change things in the house (if you can), etc. If you are going to live in the apartments, most people get there the weekend before starting. The rooms are smaller, so arranging is easier.

As for stuff to do the summer before.....nothing related to studying. Do not "study ahead" as it won't work and you will waste the last remaining chunk of free time doing the equivilant of putting your finger in your nose and hoping a booger looks like a forearm muscle. Enjoy family and friends, travel, play video games, anything fun.......but no studying. There is more than enough time for that once school starts.
Thanks nascardoc.... I will follow your advice. I kind of figured it would be pointless to study before school, but I have had a couple of people tell me otherwise..... but they are gunners. Taking a break from studying for a summer and having fun sounds good to me.

Just got the call from Dean Stowers...I'm in! I look forward to seeing you all! Anybody need a roomate?

whats the best way to find a house/apartment? Do they go fast? And do ppl recommend the school apartments or living in midlesboro?

whats the best way to find a house/apartment? Do they go fast? And do ppl recommend the school apartments or living in midlesboro?

Honestly, if it weren't for having a dog, I'd live in the medipartments. No questions asked. They're convenient. Your classmates are there to study with. You've got a place to eat, sleep and shower. It's pretty much all you need.

However, I have my best friend coming with me, so the medipartments were out for me. :( Maybe we could figure out a way to sneak her in... ?

Keep an eye on DCOM Houses on facebook, and the 2013 facebook group as well as dcomdo.com for advertisements. Plus, talk to local realtors. Lots of them handle rentals.

Are there any other apartment complexes that have a larger concentration of DCOM students, besides the medipartments?

I was wondering if anyone knows what you are doing for housing next year. We got that email this past Friday telling us about the new Mars apartments that the university renovated, which I was really excited about (already furnished 3 bedrooms, each with a private bath). However, I have slight resignations about moving in with 2 other people that I've never really talked to...thus, I was wondering if there were 2 other guys who might want to move into those apartments. If so, it would be good to get acquainted over the phone and maybe talk to the university so that the three of us could room together.

Or we could be placed randomly...thats always an option too.

Hope everybody's looking forward to graduation.

take it easy

I personally decided to go the random route. I'll be moving in with 2 other women (hopefully 3) this July. The house we are renting seems really nice and when it is split 4 ways is pretty cheap. I have lived with a variety of people in the past and enjoy the company... guess it just depends on what type of person you are.