LMU-DCOM Class of 2013!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

forks4spoons

Followin' the dream. UTCVM c/o 2023!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Doesn't look like there has been a thread started for us DCOM'ers! :)

Congrats to all of you who have been accepted!! Can't wait to see you all next fall (if not sooner) !!!

:hardy::hardy::hardy:

Members don't see this ad.

Hello LMU-DCOM classmates,

I am in!!! Hold on, How come there are only 2 people in this page? Come on guys, be active and introduce to our class.

Last edited:
Yay!
Wasn't the phone call way better than an email or a letter? I had a completely different order of DO school preference before I came to interviews but after all of them LMU was number 1.

I'm Jessica (Jesse)Smith, I'd list hobbies or something but I probably wont be able to do anything but learn this time next year so it doesn't matter.

Does anyone know the etiquette of declining acceptance at a school? Do you just not send them your seat deposit or call/email?

Members don't see this ad :)
Most excellent! I hadn't checked this post because it had been so dead!!

DCOM, Represent!!

I'm Hope Austin. Married, dog, no kids. And I'm from the middle TN area (Cookeville). :)

Sorry, Jesse, can't say that I know the etiquette. :/ DCOM was my only acceptance (of course, I turned down the secondary at VCOM after I visited DCOM).

If you want to know more about my journey to DCOM, you can read it on my blog. It's kinda long, but tells a lot about myself. :)

I am oh-so excited! I can't wait! C'mon peoples, speak up!!

Hi, everyone! I'm Liz from Raleigh, NC, though I've lived all over.

I'm single and I've got a cat and I'm a bit of a geek. :) I'm looking forward to meeting you all.

Congrats to everyone that has been accepted! Jesse, to answer your question, I would send them a letter. You want to make sure you are courteous to everyone at other schools. When you start school here you will find out that everyone knows everyone else at other schools.

A few tips for everyone else:
Start looking for housing now! Rentals seem to be pretty scarce around here.
You won't use all the books they suggest. Most of the ones that I ended up using I was able to get an electronic copy online.
Lastly, enjoy your free time now. Ideally, you should move to Key West and work as a bartender until you start classes:D

-Adam OMSI

what's up fellow acceptees? there is a good chance that i will be going to school here next year so i thought i would drop a line to say hey.

Congrats to everyone that has been accepted! Jesse, to answer your question, I would send them a letter. You want to make sure you are courteous to everyone at other schools. When you start school here you will find out that everyone knows everyone else at other schools.

A few tips for everyone else:
Start looking for housing now! Rentals seem to be pretty scarce around here.
You won't use all the books they suggest. Most of the ones that I ended up using I was able to get an electronic copy online.
Lastly, enjoy your free time now. Ideally, you should move to Key West and work as a bartender until you start classes:D

-Adam OMSI

Key West? Bartender? I'm in. :laugh:

Thanks for the heads up on housing!!! :)

I have an interview for January 13, 2009. I went today to tour the school and meet with the admissions director. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but am scheduled for January 31, 2009. Wish me success. I only live about 50 miles from DCOM.

Hey Guys, Just got accepted to DCOM today, (1 week after the interview) Crazy. My name is Gene, and I am looking foward to meeting all of you. I am single and love tennis, bowling, or just hanging out...like i'll be doing much of that. :cool: Anyway, peace out.

Hey Guys, Just got accepted to DCOM today, (1 week after the interview) Crazy. My name is Gene, and I am looking foward to meeting all of you. I am single and love tennis, bowling, or just hanging out...like i'll be doing much of that. :cool: Anyway, peace out.

I just got the call today too! I think I interviewed with you Gene. 12/8 I remember at lunch we talked about your name being Doctor Bean II haha!
Well, congrats! I am looking forward to the fall!

Oops, I forgot to introduce myself to the rest of you. My name is Cassie, and I am from a small town in Tennessee not far from LMU-DCOM!

I am in as well. I am so happy to be in. It made a big difference for me to see the school did anatomy in a prosection format vs. dissection. Dissecting takes soooo much time(I had to do it in my undergraduate program on Human cadevars so I speak from long experience) and will allow me to study some of the harder courses....

E. Jackson
Texas

PS-
Cassie I think I interviewed with you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to you all on your acceptances!!! I am a 2nd year student at DCOM, so if any of you have any questions, comments, concerns or out-bursts of paranoia.....feel free to post. You guys will be very happy at DCOM....its a great place with great people.

Merry Christmas!

DCOM IS YOUR PASSAGE TO BE A "ROCKSTAR PHYSICIAN" HAHA, enjoy your time before med school it only gets worse once you get started...:)

Congratulations to all. I am one of the newly accepted students for the LMU-DCOM class of 2013. I got my call the day before thanksgiving, talk about something to be thankful for. I wish you all the best in the new year and look forward to meeting everyone. I am from Kentucky and live about 40 miles from DCOM.

What is UP people?!!?!?!?? I am also one of the class of 2013. My name is Matt, originally from Richmond, VA. Looking forward to getting started. Once I interviewed at the school, I immediately canceled all of my other interviews and withdrew my applications. That was before I even knew I was accepted. I would rather have re-applied at this school then go somewhere else. I am so excited about this place I can't stand it. The potential at this institution is mind blowing.

Looking forward to laughing (and crying... and group therapy... etc...) with all of you during medical school.

Hey everyone
I am very exited to be one of the 2013 class
does anyone knows if the army pays for housing too? I knowit is not part of tuition but is there a way to put it in the overall cost?

Yay! Does anyone know the etiquette of declining acceptance at a school? Do you just not send them your seat deposit or call/email?

I would call them and politely decline the offer. You can inform them of where you decided to attend, but its not required. A call is best because it lets them know immediately that they can release that seat to someone else. Welcome to DCOM.

Hey everyone
I am very exited to be one of the 2013 class
does anyone knows if the army pays for housing too? I knowit is not part of tuition but is there a way to put it in the overall cost?

The army will give you a stipend monthly. I think its around $1900. You can use this for your housing, but I don't think they'll pay for housing on top of this.

Congrats to you all on your acceptances!!! I am a 2nd year student at DCOM, so if any of you have any questions, comments, concerns or out-bursts of paranoia.....feel free to post. You guys will be very happy at DCOM....its a great place with great people.

Merry Christmas!

:diebanana: I already warned you once! You did not get into DCOM. Quit pretending you did you crazy mo-fo. :bang:

:diebanana: I already warned you once! You did not get into DCOM. Quit pretending you did you crazy mo-fo. :bang:

Thanks for blowing my cover. Now I need to stop paying that guy at DCOM who tells people he is nascardoc. He won't be happy to lose all that money. Oh well, here's to next year! :highfive:

Oops, I forgot to introduce myself to the rest of you. My name is Cassie, and I am from a small town in Tennessee not far from LMU-DCOM!

:thumbup: yes i do remember you :thumbup: I am soooo excited about dcom...i didn't care about all the other interviews, I cancelled everything...this is where I am going! I love it. cya there.

Hello class of 2013!! My husband and I will be attending DCOM this coming year. We are excited. We are both from Utah so the east will be a different experience for us. Is anyone looking to sell a house or have any good rental sources that we could get in contact with. I tried the facebook thing that someone suggested and it didn't make sense to me. I am not too savvy on facebook though.?? My name is Kelsey and my husbands name is Luke. We don't have any kids but our dog keeps us entertained enough. We love the outdoors. Anyways can't wait to meet some of you.

Hello DCOM classmates,

Does anyone has problem with the deposit sending? I already sent my deposit on Dec 16,2008, 12 days after I got the acceptance letter. However, I have not heard anything from school about this. I check my bank account and that 2000 has not been withdrawn. My due day is Dec 5 ( 30 days from when I got the letter), I guess. I am so panic right now. Guys, any experience?

Hello DCOM classmates,

Does anyone has problem with the deposit sending? I already sent my deposit on Dec 16,2008, 12 days after I got the acceptance letter. However, I have not heard anything from school about this. I check my bank account and that 2000 has not been withdrawn. My due day is Dec 5 ( 30 days from when I got the letter), I guess. I am so panic right now. Guys, any experience?

It is always good to call and verify that they have received your check.

In the past, they have not received the check and then deposit it right away. It can take some time, and this is normal. Mine took a month or so.

So anyone that reads this thread and has the same question, I think I have seen it a few times, it is normal for your check to take a long time to be deposited. Do not use the depositing of your check as the verification that they have received your check. Communicate with the school. You have been accepted so do not be scared to call and ask questions.

Oh, and welcome and congratulations to all that were accepted.

it took them almost 6 weeks to deposit my check, but you should always check to make sure they received it

I received an email verifying receipt of my deposit. I sent it over the holidays, and the first business day after the holidays Janette sent me an email informing me that they received it. Good Luck.

Hello DCOM classmates,

Hey all- I'll be joining the class of 2013 as well :) As for the deposit, I had the same scenario as premed worrier and then received a letter via usps yesterday with a receipt of payment. The check still hasn't been processed though.

What do you all plan on doing for living arrangements?

Hey all- I'll be joining the class of 2013 as well :) As for the deposit, I had the same scenario as premed worrier and then received a letter via usps yesterday with a receipt of payment. The check still hasn't been processed though.

What do you all plan on doing for living arrangements?

I would live in the on campus apartments, except I have a cat, so I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do.

Hey guys,
has anyone received financial and matriculation information packages? I am still waiting for them. Anyone has idea when we can get it?

Thanks

Hey guys,
has anyone received financial and matriculation information packages? I am still waiting for them. Anyone has idea when we can get it?

Thanks
I've got the matriculation info package but not the financial info yet.

Hey guys,

Thanks

Yeah, I just got mine on Friday last week. I interviewed on 12-8-08 so, maybe you should call.... i dunno. Did they send you a letter saying they received your $2,000? They sent that to me also on Saturday.

Good luck, :luck:

DocBeanII

Does anyone know of some apartments near the campus other than the campus apartments for about 600/month or something around there? :confused: I appreciate it.

Check out ballrealty.com under local listings. There are some new apartments being built and duplexes.

I went and looked at the apts a few weeks ago that Mr. Ball has. They have some brand new ones shooting up in April/May he said. Plus there are going to be a lot of openings when the 2nd years leave for rotations. (They told me the new ones are going to be a little more expensive around 465 a month, which is still better than what I pay now) I filled out the application and sent in the deposit. It seems like a fairly nice place to live and you can have pets as well!!!

I have received one packet, but it said to wait for the finacial aid one. Has anyone gotten that one yet? Or know how long it will be before we do?

I only received one packet so far as well.

Can any current students elaborate on the dress code. I've heard that we are allowed to wear jeans and not hoodies and that shorts are not allowed. Anything else? Also, does it matter what scrubs we have for anatomy? What is the "uniform" for OMM?

I only received one packet so far as well.

Can any current students elaborate on the dress code. I've heard that we are allowed to wear jeans and not hoodies and that shorts are not allowed. Anything else? Also, does it matter what scrubs we have for anatomy? What is the "uniform" for OMM?

Dress code:

Nice jeans to dress pants, collared shirt (polo on up), no open toed shoes ever. I've seen some wear shorts and I think it's technically ok as long as the length is good and they are nice shorts (not the kind that look like the were cut off). On days you interact with patients (whether standardized patients, clinic time, or simulations) you wear professional dress + white coat. Ladies wear the equivalent to these things.

It doesn't matter what kind of scrubs you have for anatomy, but it's best to keep them a dark blue color. I know when I bought mine last year they were talking about making everyone get their name embroidered on them, but I don't know if that was ever finalized. Most of us did it anyway. Here's a good link for a nice pair Allheart. I'd say stick to the Ceil Blue or Navy. They'll even embroider for you (LMU-DCOM goes on the left chest. Your name goes on the right.) Someone from the 2012 class could probably fill you in on if they ever set a requirement regarding this though.

OMM requires shorts and t-shirt. Initially they were strict on this, but now they're pretty relaxed. I wear a normal pair of gym shorts and an LMU-DCOM shirt I got when I joined SOMA. Sometimes if I know we're not working on lower extremities I'll wear scrub bottoms.

I have received one packet, but it said to wait for the finacial aid one. Has anyone gotten that one yet? Or know how long it will be before we do?

Financial Aid has been really tied up the past few weeks getting all of the current student's year end information printed and handed out so that's probably the delay. Now that all of that is over you will probably get more from them. Just make sure you fill out your FAFSA. No need to wait.

i have not received my financial packet yet either.....oh well.

Hey everyone, I interviewed on 1/27 and was accepted on 2/3. I have decided to go ahead and send my deposit in for lmu-dcom. Look forward to meeting all of you.

Thanks NPEMTIV for your response. I'm actually a female so if anyone has anything to offer more on the dress code for the ladies, chime in! Can we really never wear open-toe shoes? Also, I have some scrubs from my current job in dark teal. I could embroider and use those right?

Thanks NPEMTIV for your response. I'm actually a female so if anyone has anything to offer more on the dress code for the ladies, chime in! Can we really never wear open-toe shoes? Also, I have some scrubs from my current job in dark teal. I could embroider and use those right?

It's true. No open-toe shoes. My guess is your scrubs would be fine. Unless they've mandated it you don't even have to embroider them, but it was a nice touch.

I'm a first year student and we had no requirements on scrubs we wore. I had a pair of purple ones and a pair of navy blue. It did not matter what color you got so I wouldnt worry about it if you already have some (I saw every color of the rainbow in lab). The ones you can order from a club are navy blue and embriodered. But honestly you are wearing these things around cadavers they will get stinky and gross. I didn't see a point in spending extra for the embriodered ones and just went with walmart scrubs. This being said I have no clue if they will change the requirements for you new guys.

OPP lab is non offensive tshirts and shorts (sports bras for girls) make sure you have socks too. In the winter I wear loose exercise type pants or sweats since its cold.

As far as the open toed shoes I have seen some girls wear dressy sandals to lecture before. I dont think they got in trouble for it or anything. Definitely no open toed shoes for the lab or patient encounters though.

Thanks Malisa! When you say sports bras, does that mean we can or cannot wear t-shirts in OMM lab?

Thanks Malisa! When you say sports bras, does that mean we can or cannot wear t-shirts in OMM lab?

You would wear the t-shirt over the sports bra. There are a few times you'll have to remove the t-shirt (and leave the bra on), but not too many.

Yeah sorry for not clarifying. I just always wear a sports bras with my tshirt for OMM lab. Sometimes he doesnt mention sports bras are needed until the day of so I just come prepared and wear one every time. More incentive to go exercise on those days too :)

Oh that's not bad! Good to know, thanks guys!